Destiny Audio Grimoire (Fan Creations)

by roland ⌂ @, Sunday, January 11, 2015, 23:28 (3401 days ago)

I posted this earlier but I've since added a new card (Ghost Fragment: Darkness 3) and put all the cards on Youtube. Based on the lack of interest last time I posted, I'm guessing people aren't digging these versions of the grimoire much. In any case, feedback welcomed.

Ghost Fragment: Darkness 3

Ghost Fragment: Thorn

Ghost Fragment: Thorn 2

Ghost Fragment: The Last Word

More on the Audio Grimoire YouTube Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEmb-s-e3bo&index=9&list=PLIGGMKzwQUqZyCEk3F75wR1kKiZ-0BQ1t

Just the audio: www.astrumterra.com/audiogrimoire

Gah!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, January 11, 2015, 23:42 (3401 days ago) @ roland

I posted this earlier but I've since added a new card (Ghost Fragment: Darkness 3) and put all the cards on Youtube. Based on the lack of interest last time I posted, I'm guessing people aren't digging these versions of the grimoire much. In any case, feedback welcomed.

Gah, I meant to front-page this, but I was traveling the last time you posted and it slipped off my radar. These are really cool, and I definitely look forward to hearing more!

I'll get these on the front page tomorrow. Promise! ;-)

Gah!

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 00:15 (3401 days ago) @ Beorn

Gah, I meant to front-page this, but I was traveling the last time you posted and it slipped off my radar. These are really cool, and I definitely look forward to hearing more!

I'll get these on the front page tomorrow. Promise! ;-)

No worries at all! I'm honored and glad you like them. I just figured maybe grimoire wasn't everyone's thing :)

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Monday, January 12, 2015, 06:38 (3401 days ago) @ roland

I think it's a great idea although I'm not a fan of the Thorn one. I think it's just because I don't like the way the card reads to begin with.

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Monday, January 12, 2015, 08:08 (3400 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I would have liked the gunshots heard in Thorn 2 to be the in-game Thorn audio, but other than that I like it.

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 12, 2015, 11:47 (3400 days ago) @ roland

feedback welcomed.

ok then. I love the idea of this and of spreading around the story content. However there is so much background noise and voice modulation I have a really hard time understanding what words are said unless I read along with the cards. Maybe the way I'm listening to it is not optimal environment for this?

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 13:12 (3400 days ago) @ Vortech

feedback welcomed.

ok then. I love the idea of this and of spreading around the story content. However there is so much background noise and voice modulation I have a really hard time understanding what words are said unless I read along with the cards. Maybe the way I'm listening to it is not optimal environment for this?

Ohh, thanks for the constructive feedback! It's best to listen with headphones, maybe see if that helps? I'd love to know if other people have this problem too. Can you let me know which cards specifically have this problem or are you thinking all of them are difficult to understand?

Mixing audio is hard.

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by petetheduck, Monday, January 12, 2015, 14:26 (3400 days ago) @ roland

feedback welcomed.

Ohh, thanks for the constructive feedback! It's best to listen with headphones, maybe see if that helps? I'd love to know if other people have this problem too. Can you let me know which cards specifically have this problem or are you thinking all of them are difficult to understand?

Mixing audio is hard.

I almost posted this earlier today. The Hive cards were the worst offenders--so much drip drip scream scream noise noise I couldn't understand much of what was said. Really, I would cut the background audio to half or even a third of what it is currently.

I listen in my car.

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 14:58 (3400 days ago) @ petetheduck

feedback welcomed.

Mixing audio is hard.

I almost posted this earlier today. The Hive cards were the worst offenders--so much drip drip scream scream noise noise I couldn't understand much of what was said. Really, I would cut the background audio to half or even a third of what it is currently.

I listen in my car.

Thanks, I will do that. It's weird when I listen to them over and over, mixing volumes and whatnot, I don't notice these types of problems so I'll never know unless people tell me. Thanks, seriously.

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:40 (3400 days ago) @ roland

I admire your openness to feedback without ego. I can't say for sure I have been as open with creative things I have made P)

Destiny Audio Grimoire

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 16:52 (3400 days ago) @ Vortech

I admire your openness to feedback without ego. I can't say for sure I have been as open with creative things I have made P)

Oh don't worry, it definitely hurts :) I'm not immune.

But I do know that the things I make will never get better unless you get real feedback like that!

My favorite, and some suggestions

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, January 12, 2015, 22:30 (3400 days ago) @ roland

I really like the Ghost Fragment: The Last Word one (that's why I embedded it!). It's well-performed and I think you nailed the ambiance. Love the crackling fire, rain, and music. Matches the mood very well. So good!

My least favorite part across all of these is actually the Superintendent-esque introduction that reads the card's name. It somehow seems out of place and is generally hard to understand. I think it's good to have the name up front, but maybe it could just be the main voice actor/actress stating the name? Either that, or something clean and out-of-the-way, just enough to give you information without getting in your (?ears) face.

Please keep these up, I'm enjoying them and it's fun to hear someone else's interpretation of the Grimoire content. :)

by roland ⌂ @, Monday, January 12, 2015, 23:45 (3400 days ago) @ Beorn

I really like the Ghost Fragment: The Last Word one (that's why I embedded it!). It's well-performed and I think you nailed the ambiance. Love the crackling fire, rain, and music. Matches the mood very well. So good!

My least favorite part across all of these is actually the Superintendent-esque introduction that reads the card's name. It somehow seems out of place and is generally hard to understand. I think it's good to have the name up front, but maybe it could just be the main voice actor/actress stating the name? Either that, or something clean and out-of-the-way, just enough to give you information without getting in your (?ears) face.

Please keep these up, I'm enjoying them and it's fun to hear someone else's interpretation of the Grimoire content. :)

Thanks! Great feedback! The Last Word is the one card where, amazingly, a pro voice actor actually volunteered to do the voice of Shin Malphur. So I'm guessing that's a big part of the quality being much better. Many of the rest are me, and I'm no pro. As for volumes and such, I had no idea people were having a hard time understanding these. Also very good to know about the intros. I'll see what I can do to fix those.

I'm guessing you didn't like Ghosts and Echoes since it was mostly the Superintendant-esque guy talking the whole time? :)

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 03:17 (3400 days ago) @ roland

I actually didn't realise the "superintendent" was saying words at al - Thought it was just weird noises. Now that I re-listen I can hear it, but it's not super clear.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 09:13 (3399 days ago) @ Beorn

Yes, this! I loved the ambiance, & it was so well done. What was that music, it was from Myth, yes? To counter the mixing criticism, the mixing/balance/levels/whatever sounded pretty good to me (on my bose headphones). The background did not interfere with my ability to enjoy & understand the voice actors.

My least favorite part across all of these is actually the Superintendent-esque introduction that reads the card's name. It somehow seems out of place and is generally hard to understand.

Likewise, the only thing I don't like about these (pretty much love everything else) is the intro voice. Maybe I've listened to dinklebot too much, but I feel it's too expressive and also hard to understand. I feel the 'ghost' intro could benefit from being toned down a little bit and also be a little less processed/computerized). I do like the fact that the computerized introduction is consistent across all cards, that helps to tie them all together, so I vote you keep the little intro guy.

Please make more, I really enjoyed the ones I've listened to!

by roland ⌂ @, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 14:13 (3399 days ago) @ dogcow

Yes, this! I loved the ambiance, & it was so well done. What was that music, it was from Myth, yes? To counter the mixing criticism, the mixing/balance/levels/whatever sounded pretty good to me (on my bose headphones). The background did not interfere with my ability to enjoy & understand the voice actors.

Thanks! The music is an original composition of mine that I submitted waaaaay back in the day for the Halo Zune contest :) You can download the track here: http://www.themarathonmusic.com/music/halo/Ode_to_an_Opus_Halo_or_a_Master_Chief_Concerto_Movement_4_or_Prelude_Fanta...

That's really interesting that the background/balance/mixing doesn't bug you... this really encompasses the problem I have because it sounds good to some but not to others. I only have my own set of ears and it's not clear how to fix an issue like this when it sounds good to me. I've gained a lot of respect for people that do this professionally.

Likewise, the only thing I don't like about these (pretty much love everything else) is the intro voice. Maybe I've listened to dinklebot too much, but I feel it's too expressive and also hard to understand. I feel the 'ghost' intro could benefit from being toned down a little bit and also be a little less processed/computerized). I do like the fact that the computerized introduction is consistent across all cards, that helps to tie them all together, so I vote you keep the little intro guy.

Thanks again. I'll see what I can do to retain an intro but change the voice a bit to make it easier to understand.

Please make more, I really enjoyed the ones I've listened to!

Will do. They're fun to make.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread