Oscar Nominations are embarrassing (Off-Topic)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:53 (3399 days ago)

Insterstellar for best sound Mixing?! That is the most embarrassing nomination I have seen in a long time. The mixing on that film was terrible, and I'm not the only one who thinks so. :-p

Oscar Nominations are embarrassing

by Kahzgul, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:04 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought this would be about the fact that every single acting nominee in every category is white.

--

RE: interstellar - Several of my colleagues saw this and would agree with you, but at the theater where I saw it, it was perfect. Like, amazeballs perfect.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:07 (3399 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I thought this would be about the fact that every single acting nominee in every category is white.

I am okay with that, assuming that considerations are done by merit only (which they are not).

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:10 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am okay with that, assuming that considerations are done by merit only (which they are not).

I still say Interstellar was mess on many levels. The Oscars are always partly political and partly trying to atone for past mistakes.

by General Battuta, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:29 (3399 days ago) @ Kermit

The sound mix on Interstellar was good in 70mm IMAX. In other theaters...not so much.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 14:18 (3399 days ago) @ General Battuta

The sound mix on Interstellar was good in 70mm IMAX. In other theaters...not so much.

A number of the complaints are regarding artistic choices. They intentionally drowned out dialogue with music in a few key scenes, and I thought that it was a pretty bold thing to do, since it messes with people's heads, but I got what they were going for, and I approved... So too do others, as it is now officially an Academy Award-nominated film... Then again, Transformers is an Oscar-winning movie, so make of that what you will.

It doesn't have to be good

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 13:37 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It only needs to be good enough to get nominated.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:17 (3399 days ago) @ Earendil

By any standard, Guardians of the Galaxy had better mixing an editing, yet not a single nomination for sound…

by Earendil, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:33 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

By any standard, Guardians of the Galaxy had better mixing an editing, yet not a single nomination for sound…

I'll start by saying I don't actually give two-shits about the Oscars, and have never watched them. But I do like film, so you have me curious and I'm looking it up :)

I believe the Music scores have to be original. Throwing together a great soundtrack doesn't count for that category. Besides, Guardians basically already got that award.

And was the Sound FX/Editing in Guardians all that great? Perhaps it's a sign of greatness that it didn't stand out to me :)

Note: I love Guardians and haven't seen Intersteller. I'm here for the free stacks.

I DID see it in 70mm IMAX

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 15:24 (3399 days ago) @ Cody Miller

but I thought the mixing was brilliant.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread