Xbox will be able to take screen shots soon-ish. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 06:50 (3367 days ago)

Via Joystiq Engadget

No date is given, but I would be surprised if we didn't see this feature rolled out in the first half of this year.

[image]

It was brainless to leave this out... But glad it's coming.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 07:54 (3367 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Once the Xbone hits $250 and has more features/improvements, I may be inclined to get one for Halo 5... After it gets reviewed of course. They won't MCC me.

I wonder what's taken them so long to implement screenshots. It's a simpler process to grab a still of the screen than to capture a clip... Then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about here...

Well...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 08:34 (3367 days ago) @ Korny

It's been in the works for a while. Major Nelson (or Phil Spencer) mentioned they could have thrown something together and make it work but wanted to take the time to make it work right. They talked about doing more than just grabbing pixels but didn't go into details.

In any case I'm super excited!

About that MCC...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Sunday, February 08, 2015, 10:03 (3367 days ago) @ Korny

There should have been a beta. There should always be a beta, if only to stress-test the servers. Since the Halo 5 beta happened so soon, I doubt anything along the lines of MCC will happen again. Although, it would be a good idea to have another beta a few weeks before the game launched for more stress-testing.

Really glad about the screenshot feature. Been wanting this for a while, I just hope they've figured out some way to account for your Xbox never listening. Maybe it freezes the screen when you double tap the guide? Maybe you can take screenshots from video? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

to be fair...

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 11:32 (3367 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

There should have been a beta. There should always be a beta, if only to stress-test the servers. Since the Halo 5 beta happened so soon, I doubt anything along the lines of MCC will happen again. Although, it would be a good idea to have another beta a few weeks before the game launched for more stress-testing.

It doesn't seem like there would be anything to beta test. If time and resources were misallocated, an earlier build would have probably worked even less.

to be fair...

by Velociraptor112, Places., Sunday, February 08, 2015, 12:34 (3367 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

At least they would've known what was gonna happen and delay the release until it was fixed. But I do see your point.

About that MCC...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 11:54 (3367 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Maybe it freezes the screen when you double tap the guide?

Doubt it. It could be done in theory, even for games that don't pause, like Destiny. The console could simply freeze the video output, even if the game was still running. But I just think it would be too jarring and frustrating for people who think the game's paused when it isn't.

Maybe you can take screenshots from video? I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Now that would be interesting. Seems like a good idea to me.

About that MCC...

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Monday, February 09, 2015, 08:06 (3366 days ago) @ Velociraptor112

Maybe it freezes the screen when you double tap the guide? Maybe you can take screenshots from video?

Based on the text they used on the screen overlay "Press Y to Save the screenshot", I'm guessing that the screenshot is taken at the moment that you double-tap the Xbox button. Then if you press Y, it actually saves the image. This would make sense to me and be the best way to ensure that the captured screen is actually what's on screen at the moment instead of relying on another button to be pressed and possibly capture the shot a few frames too late.

About that MCC...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:49 (3366 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Maybe it freezes the screen when you double tap the guide? Maybe you can take screenshots from video?

Based on the text they used on the screen overlay "Press Y to Save the screenshot", I'm guessing that the screenshot is taken at the moment that you double-tap the Xbox button. Then if you press Y, it actually saves the image. This would make sense to me and be the best way to ensure that the captured screen is actually what's on screen at the moment instead of relying on another button to be pressed and possibly capture the shot a few frames too late.

Similar to the PS4. You hit the "Share" button, then you can hit Triangle to save the screenshot, or Square to save the last 15 minutes of video (or both!). Or you can just hold down the share button for two seconds to take a direct screenshot.

Pretty straightforward process.

About that MCC...

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Monday, February 09, 2015, 10:53 (3366 days ago) @ Korny

Similar to the PS4. You hit the "Share" button, then you can hit Triangle to save the screenshot, or Square to save the last 15 minutes of video (or both!). Or you can just hold down the share button for two seconds to take a direct screenshot.

You can also swap the hold/press functions of the share button. Makes capturing split-second moments easier.

About that MCC...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, February 09, 2015, 12:17 (3366 days ago) @ CyberKN

You can also swap the hold/press functions of the share button. Makes capturing split-second moments easier.

I prefer using the default system, personally. There's a slight delay with the inverted functions, whereas the default setting captures the exact moment of the press. It's all up to preference, really, but I like being able to hit Share, quickly tap Square/triangle, back out, and be on my way.

It was brainless to leave this out... But glad it's coming.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Sunday, February 08, 2015, 11:51 (3367 days ago) @ Korny

I wonder what's taken them so long to implement screenshots. It's a simpler process to grab a still of the screen than to capture a clip... Then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about here...

I actually have to agree with you here. I was pretty baffled that it wasn't present at launch, when video capture was. I'm still glad they're implementing it, but I'm at a loss as to why it's taken (over) a year.

What I'd Rather Have...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, February 09, 2015, 14:30 (3366 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

For Upload Studio to have a screenshot picture from a clip. Taking a screenshot from live action(depending on exactly what you're trying to do) would probably be impossible. But if you have it recorded, you can go through frame by frame and THEN snapshot that.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread