Slycrel (and any other PS4 folk), the $20 TLoU deal is back. (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 09:06 (3341 days ago)
edited by Korny, Friday, March 06, 2015, 09:16

Slycrel (and any other PS4 folk), the $20 TLoU deal is back.

by TheeChaos @, Friday, March 06, 2015, 11:45 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

LOVE THE LAST OF US. Got it on release for PS3 and PS4. Still my favorite game.

Slycrel (and any other PS4 folk), the $20 TLoU deal is back.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 12:10 (3341 days ago) @ TheeChaos

LOVE THE LAST OF US. Got it on release for PS3 and PS4. Still my favorite game.

Mine, too.

Thanks! :D

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, March 06, 2015, 13:33 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

If you get it...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:39 (3341 days ago) @ slycrel

I'd love to know your thoughts on it afterwards. Kermit and I fanboy-ed about it together (before I shareplayed it with him and he destroyed my saves, of course), but it'd be nice to get some more opinions on it.

If you get it...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:18 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

I'd love to know your thoughts on it afterwards. Kermit and I fanboy-ed about it together (before I shareplayed it with him and he destroyed my saves, of course), but it'd be nice to get some more opinions on it.

Hey now! I would never! I'm the Kermit who felt very sorry for the kid. I'd like to see you tackle some sections on the grounded mode sometime, Korny.

I've been wanting to shareplay it with Commandr Cleavage. Bones is almost done, and I'd like to witness his completion of it, too. Love that game.

If you get it...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:25 (3341 days ago) @ Kermit

Hey now! I would never! I'm the Kermit who felt very sorry for the kid.

That doesn't explain how all of my Grounded playthrough got wiped!

I'd like to see you tackle some sections on the grounded mode sometime, Korny.

I'd love to do that. Right now, I'm uploading a Spanish-language playthrough for my cousins, if you want to see some of my gameplay, and enjoy some refreshingly good dubbing (it's good enough that I haven't bothered to change it back, like how I play Battlefield in German).

I've been wanting to shareplay it with Commandr Cleavage. Bones is almost done, and I'd like to witness his completion of it, too. Love that game.

She never wants to do it. I'm convinced she's scared.

Picked it up...

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 19:44 (3340 days ago) @ Korny

...so as soon as I get the card in the mail I'll be trying it out. I expect it will take me a few weeks at least to get through, though it depends on how hooked I get--that may speed it up. =)

I'd be happy to have a discussion about it, here or elsewhere, once I'm done!

Picked it up...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 20:08 (3340 days ago) @ slycrel

Just to set expectations I got this the last time it was posted and I put the code in two days ago. Be prepared f some shipping time.

Yeesh! Good to know. =)

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, March 08, 2015, 00:00 (3340 days ago) @ Vortech

- No text -

Question about TLoU for owners

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, March 06, 2015, 14:48 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

I got it for Christmas, started it recently and wasn't very impressed. Feels like a mix between splinter cell and half-life that doesn't let you actually play half as much as either of those two. I only just got out of the city (soon after the 'secret' about the little girl is revealed) and had to stop because I was so bored.

The presentation is nice - I'll give it that - but is the actual game here worth playing? Does it get better soon? Am I just too used to shooters to appreciate this game? Was it hyped too much?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 14:56 (3341 days ago) @ RC

I got it for Christmas, started it recently and wasn't very impressed. Feels like a mix between splinter cell and half-life that doesn't let you actually play half as much as either of those two. I only just got out of the city (soon after the 'secret' about the little girl is revealed) and had to stop because I was so bored.

The presentation is nice - I'll give it that - but is the actual game here worth playing? Does it get better soon? Am I just too used to shooters to appreciate this game? Was it hyped too much?

Things are about to get real. You're just getting started. One of the best things about the game is the pacing. Don't expect an action movie, although there is a lot more action than you've seen so far. The game is really about a developing relationship, and it's one of the few games I've ever played that succeeds in portraying actual character development (in spades). The gameplay is not secondary--it's crucial for upping the tension, but the whole package, especially once you've finished the journey is extraordinary.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:29 (3341 days ago) @ RC

That... sort of depends on what you're expecting out of the gameplay. It's almost always very slow and methodological.

It's possible that the upcoming gameplay with infected will pick up your interest. If it doesn't, you might wind up hating the next 5-10 hours, because the pacing is awful early on. It's like they had a lot of good ideas for the tail end of the first act, but wanted to do them all, resulting in the narrative having a tremendous worldbuilding flatline.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:40 (3341 days ago) @ uberfoop

That... sort of depends on what you're expecting out of the gameplay. It's almost always very slow and methodological.

It's possible that the upcoming gameplay with infected will pick up your interest. If it doesn't, you might wind up hating the next 5-10 hours, because the pacing is awful early on. It's like they had a lot of good ideas for the tail end of the first act, but wanted to do them all, resulting in the narrative having a tremendous worldbuilding flatline.

I strongly disagree regarding the pacing, but different people like different things. If your interest in the characters doesn't propel you along, then I'd say this game might not be for you.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 15:58 (3341 days ago) @ RC
edited by Korny, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:02

Every time I play the game (ninth playthrough now), the first part does feel annoyingly slow, but that's more because I know what comes after (something about rain scenes at night in games always drains me).

From where you are, the game definitely picks up in pace, but ultimately it's a slow, stealth-based tactical shooter, because you're not drowning in ammo all the time. But you really should play it more for the story than the desire to shoot stuff dead. Heck, I've gotten through a huge chunk of the game without ever firing a bullet, because I see rooms as puzzles rather than battlefields, and that's my favorite type of game (Played through every Metal Gear multiple times because of that).

If you want my advice, bump the difficulty up a notch or two. You really gain an appreciation for skill and situational awareness, because the game dumps the forgiving nature of Normal difficulty real quick.

The problem with hyping this game is that people go in expecting Michael Bay spectacle, or Game of Thrones-tier drama... But it's more of a great book that gives you a moment of pause when you finish the last page, and you don't know what to do afterwards...

But it's definitely worth the ride, even if methodical gameplay isn't your thing.

PS. Multiplayer is really, really good too... but again, slow and methodical. Every encounter is terrifying, painful, and meaningful...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:18 (3341 days ago) @ RC

Yes. It is totally worth it. You kind of picked up on the one thing I'd fault it for, and that's the slow introduction to the game. After a while, things open up, and it's fun, tense, and just all around great.

It's also not really a shooter. It's more of a survival type. Don't play it like Gears of War.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:27 (3341 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes. It is totally worth it. You kind of picked up on the one thing I'd fault it for, and that's the slow introduction to the game. After a while, things open up, and it's fun, tense, and just all around great.

It's also not really a shooter. It's more of a survival type. Don't play it like Gears of War.

I've been meaning to ask. Now that the DLC is included in the package, what were your thoughts on Left Behind?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 06, 2015, 17:56 (3341 days ago) @ Korny

I've been meaning to ask. Now that the DLC is included in the package, what were your thoughts on Left Behind?

Added a bit to the story, but didn't really need to be playable. It was not nearly as fun as the game proper.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:29 (3341 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Added a bit to the story, but didn't really need to be playable. It was not nearly as fun as the game proper.

TLoU is my favorite game ever, but I thought Left Behind had some big problems. If you're interested:

http://gamerblurbs.com/2014/02/24/left-behind-telling-the-wrong-story/

* Warning - spoilers within *

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:40 (3341 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

But these moments all serve the game I played last year. They build upon experiences I’ve already had, rather than providing new ones.

And in one sentence you demolish the concept of DLC side or back stories entirely. Good article.

Note as well, this also applies to games that 'go back to the roots' of the franchise, or have frequent in-jokes and homages to previous games.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:42 (3341 days ago) @ Cody Miller

But these moments all serve the game I played last year. They build upon experiences I’ve already had, rather than providing new ones.

And in one sentence you demolish the concept of DLC side or back stories entirely. Good article.

Ha... thanks :) Although I do think it is possible to tell a new story AND build on a previous one. I just don't thing Left Behind pulls it off.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, March 06, 2015, 19:41 (3341 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

TLoU is my favorite game ever, but I thought Left Behind had some big problems. If you're interested:

* Warning - spoilers within *

Nice job. I try to follow your blog, but somehow missed that one. I really liked Left Behind, and I thought they tried to do some interesting things. That said, I can't really argue with your points. I felt like the DLC got a lot of credit simply because of the "controversial" nature of it. You're right that Ellie contrasted against Joel was shown more in relief, but she still seemed like Ellie to me, and I just liked spending time with that character. My favorite parts were actually when she was alone, and I saw her becoming more confident. Definitely not as compelling as the game proper, but a nice window showing events you'd only wondered about previously.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Friday, March 06, 2015, 16:45 (3341 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's also not really a shooter.

It's a game where you wait for the opportune moment to bash a clicker's head in with a brick.

(Not to be attempted with a bottle. Sorry, bottle fans.)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, March 06, 2015, 18:26 (3341 days ago) @ RC

My first time playing TLOU, I found the gameplay underwhelming. I was gripped by the story, so I stuck with it, but I struggled with the gameplay almost the whole way through.

Then I played it again on the highest difficulty level... WOW.

Here's the thing: TLoU is a STEALTH game. It has guns, and encourages you to use them, much to the game's detriment. The gun play is not particularly fun or satisfying. But as a stealth game, it is mechanically incredible.

The great thing about playing on the higher difficulty levels is that it forces you to approach it as a stealth game. You get almost no ammo and take so much damage that full-on combat just isn't an option. Plus they remove the "listen" mode which adds an insane amount of tension to the game.

I've now played through the game start to finish 5 times, and every single playthrough has been a powerful and moving experience. My favorite game of all time, by a long shot.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, March 06, 2015, 20:19 (3341 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Then I played it again on the highest difficulty level... WOW.

Here's the thing: TLoU is a STEALTH game. It has guns, and encourages you to use them, much to the game's detriment. The gun play is not particularly fun or satisfying. But as a stealth game, it is mechanically incredible.

The great thing about playing on the higher difficulty levels is that it forces you to approach it as a stealth game. You get almost no ammo and take so much damage that full-on combat just isn't an option. Plus they remove the "listen" mode which adds an insane amount of tension to the game.

I've now played through the game start to finish 5 times, and every single playthrough has been a powerful and moving experience. My favorite game of all time, by a long shot.

So much this. That's part of why I said to raise the difficulty. You get much fewer supplies, so every choice on what to do with your resources becomes crucial. On Normal, something like a Molotov is a novelty, and you find enough health packs around to not have to worry about taking a bullet or two. On Survivor or Grounded, a Molotov is a blessing, and every Health pack that you use is a painful loss. And here's the thing... They both use the same resources to craft, so you have to choose which one you want to have, because you won't have enough resources to craft the other for a good while.

I've spent hours perfecting a single encounter to minimize resource usage, which is difficult, because Grounded difficulty removes every other checkpoint in the game, so you might find yourself sent back to an area you had trouble on already... It's rough, but extremely satisfying, because so little is random. It's mostly about your actions, and their consequences. So few games make our choices so meaningful, and so few games can successfully pull the "slowly falling apart" situations when things don't go according to plan, but you can still recover. Most games either pat you on the head for trying, or smash you with fake difficulty. On the harder difficulties, this game does neither.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread