Your Traveler has a dark mirror (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 02:43 (3354 days ago)

I've never heard Xur say this before now.

Is this a reference to the mirror universe in Star Trek, where everybody is evil? One of the books is even called Dark Mirror. Does this mean there's a being like the traveler who is evil?

Is the Darkness really just the Traveler with a goatee?

Or it could be...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 03:02 (3354 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It very well could be a reference to the movie The Dark Mirror. It's an evil twin movie, in essence. Kind of. It does some almost-interesting things with the premise that have, unfortunately, been done to death in media since then. Kind of like how Airplane! seems lame to some people who see it for the first time since everybody else has ripped it off.

(To be honest, the only reason why I remember it is because of Olivia de Havilland.)

I always thought that's what it meant; an equal but opposite.

I thought it was Shattered Mirror in ST

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 03:07 (3354 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

That's one of the DS9 mirror episodes

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Saturday, March 14, 2015, 03:22 (3354 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Literally a large glossy black ball from space.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 03:26 (3354 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Um...

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 15:50 (3353 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by INSANEdrive, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 16:01

Is the Darkness really just the Traveler with a goatee?

[image]

I don't know about you all, but... I kind of want this. I mean, yea - the sheer horror of the chill in your spine is a bit much, yet I ask you to imagine this in game.

Ya know what, I can see this stealing all of Destines beards, and there for destroying the golden age.

Seems Legit.

(I can't seem to get rid of the smile on my face.)

Edit: Ok... I had to do it. It's now my avatar. It has a monical now - because. Um...

too debonair to be evil. quite dashing really.

by scarab @, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 16:08 (3353 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Even with the monocle.

The traveller's dashingly handsome evil twin doesn't sound scary enough.

So... it's the Burl Ives Snowman?

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 16:56 (3353 days ago) @ INSANEdrive
edited by uberfoop, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 17:18

[image]

"Glimmer and gold..."

FaceFuzz. BringsChill down spine. Lust for human flesh. Yep.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 21:11 (3353 days ago) @ uberfoop

- No text -

Of course. The cosmic egg.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Saturday, March 14, 2015, 21:33 (3353 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That goatee came from the moon

by kornman00, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 00:41 (3353 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

This made me cackle out loud.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Sunday, March 15, 2015, 14:27 (3352 days ago) @ uberfoop

Glimmer and gold indeed!

All kidding aside

by Durandal, Monday, March 16, 2015, 10:33 (3352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I thought it was pretty clear from Toland's quote that the Darkness sees all life as competition, and therefore eliminates it, where as the Traveler creates or accelerates life. They are diametric opposites somewhat equal in strength and technical sophistication and as such are mirrors of one another.

All kidding aside

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:26 (3351 days ago) @ Durandal

I thought it was pretty clear from Toland's quote that the Darkness sees all life as competition, and therefore eliminates it, where as the Traveler creates or accelerates life. They are diametric opposites somewhat equal in strength and technical sophistication and as such are mirrors of one another.

Reminds me of Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series. Two entities: one wants pure destruction, the other was the make life. Both are perfectly equal in strength. Well, until one isn't... But the reason the evil one is "winning" in the book is because the good entity gave part of it's power to humans, to create things. Kinda reminds me of Guardians and light actually.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread