Rare Events (Destiny)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 12:40 (3350 days ago)

Y'know, I used to do Public Events all the time(I don't do it as often any more), but in most cases I could usually predict which events would spawn where, if they did. Archer's Line was always Warsat or Extraction, Divide was always Walker, Rocketyard Target, Scablands Target, etc. But there were times that I was genuinely surprised by something entirely different happening. I've only been able to get this once, but I once actually had a Warsat land in The Buried City, a location notorious for Target practice. The Ember Caves, which almost always has either nothing, or Pike substitutes. But I once (and so far, only once) actually got an Extraction Crews event in that tiny area! It was amazing. On the Moon, it wasn't until January this year that I managed to find a Walker on anyplace other than The Divide or the Blast....or, on Earth! It was the first time I had ever seen a Winter Walker before, on the Anchor of Light. I had so much fun.

Then there was the time I managed to get a Walker on Venus, too! That was fun to start, but I was on a matchmade strike, and one of the idiots went on without us and wiped--dragging us away. (I mean, who's stupid enough to die in the first room?)

But perhaps the most surprising was a Patrol mission I did on Earth. I picked up a VIP beacon and said, "Ok let me go kill this Vandal or Servitor in The Breach like always." So I go over there and walk through the entrance to find...no one. I'm pretty sure I had the exact reaction Bungie wanted me to.

Where is everybody?

I hear a roar, and--no shit! An archon, a full blown shielded Major Archon steps out of the sewer pipe! A boss! I mean, he died almost instantly since he was still a 2, but it was definitely something I hadn't expected! One of the most refreshing moments I ever remember feeling!

I'm REALLY hoping we can get more of those "Oh wow!" moments in future updates, and especially in the sequels to come.

Rare Events

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 13:02 (3350 days ago) @ Morpheus

But perhaps the most surprising was a Patrol mission I did on Earth. I picked up a VIP beacon and said, "Ok let me go kill this Vandal or Servitor in The Breach like always." So I go over there and walk through the entrance to find...no one. I'm pretty sure I had the exact reaction Bungie wanted me to.

Where is everybody?

I hear a roar, and--no shit! An archon, a full blown shielded Major Archon steps out of the sewer pipe! A boss! I mean, he died almost instantly since he was still a 2, but it was definitely something I hadn't expected! One of the most refreshing moments I ever remember feeling!

I'm REALLY hoping we can get more of those "Oh wow!" moments in future updates, and especially in the sequels to come.

Wait what? You mean in the same place where we see the archon in the very beginning or some totally different place? Still though that's boss.(Heh) How long ago was this?

Rare Events

by petetheduck, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 13:17 (3350 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Where is everybody?

Wait what? You mean in the same place where we see the archon in the very beginning or some totally different place? Still though that's boss.(Heh) How long ago was this?

It is the boss encounter shown during the Destiny gameplay reveal.

Rare Events

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 13:33 (3350 days ago) @ petetheduck

Where is everybody?

What's always bothered me about that Patrol is that it's labeled "Troll Patrol", which is a moon mission that has you kill a troll.
Was it left in by accident?

Kind of sad that a major encounter in the reveal ends up being an out-of-the-way curbstomp battle that one person can do in passing.

Rare Events

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 14:35 (3350 days ago) @ Korny

Where is everybody?

What's always bothered me about that Patrol is that it's labeled "Troll Patrol", which is a moon mission that has you kill a troll.

Kind of sad that a major encounter in the reveal ends up being an out-of-the-way curbstomp battle that one person can do in passing.

For real. The eliminate target captain in Mothyards/Forgotten Shore is 100x tougher than the Troll Patrol Archon.

Rare Events

by petetheduck, Monday, March 16, 2015, 11:45 (3349 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Where is everybody?

For real. The eliminate target captain in Mothyards/Forgotten Shore is 100x tougher than the Troll Patrol Archon.

Punch crouch punch crouch punch crouch punch crouch punch crouch punch crouch punch crouch.

It's not that hard.

EPIC EPIC WANT.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 17:42 (3350 days ago) @ petetheduck

Where is everybody?

I need to make this happen.

EPIC EPIC WANT.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 21:49 (3350 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Where is everybody?

I need to make this happen.

I've come across this a few times... Every time it has been the second or third "target" patrol mission in a row. Sometimes I have picked one up in the Steppes (that leads to that part of the Divide) and after killing the servitor or vandal, I run back out to the divide and lucky enough to see one or even two more "target" options. I have never encountered the Archon on the first target mission in an instance - only if it's the second or third one in a row.

It can be first...

by slycrel ⌂, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 23:54 (3350 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I've had it happen the first time once. It was from a patrol mission on the divide. I've done it 6-8 times and only the once was it the first one. Killing the servitor and the vandal are almost always what I get on that one.

I think it's great bungie had some fun with these too btw. I really like killing the "rite wizard" and the "chord harpy". :D

The E3 2013 demo is (sorta) playable in retail Destiny

by Hoovaloov, Monday, March 16, 2015, 07:57 (3349 days ago) @ petetheduck

You just have to get extremely lucky.

One time I went to the Divide for the VIP patrol in the wall. Much to my surprise, it was the Archon you're talking about.

After being amazed at never having seen it before, I walked back through the pipe with the fan at the end of it, and then turned right to go back to the Divide.

As soon as I walked out the door, the sky grew dark. A large Fallen cruiser suddenly appeared, and the Public Event incoming text showed up. Next thing you know, I'm fighting a Devil Walker with other Guardians how just showed up.

It was the 2013 E3 demo in the flesh. I was freaking out a little bit. :) But what are the odds to get those two events back to back? Has to be pretty low.

Rare Events

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 14:24 (3350 days ago) @ Morpheus

I know I've faced an archon at least once at that spot for a bounty.

I think most of us agree that the worlds need more randomness. Bounties and events that mutate and change. I think it would be interesting if the various enemies of the darkness made more strategic moves against each other. That there were frequent attempted invasions of one space or another.

Something I guarantee has never happened:

by Funkmon @, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 23:56 (3350 days ago) @ Morpheus

Extraction crews in The Steppes. Everyone says it happens, but they're all liars. 1000%.

Psst.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Sunday, March 15, 2015, 23:58 (3350 days ago) @ Funkmon

Extraction crews in The Steppes. Everyone says it happens, but they're all liars. 1000%.

Sometimes...when it does happen...there are only two waves of skiffs. Whaaaaaaa....

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, March 16, 2015, 02:42 (3350 days ago) @ Funkmon

You just missed it--me, Speed and Ron popped in one the second we landed on Earth. That second was literally the last one! It ended right as we all got in. Gold Ranks and Ascendancy for all!

Yep

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Monday, March 16, 2015, 04:37 (3350 days ago) @ Morpheus

Yep, plus I got the same Public Event again later that night.

Yeah, but the game is clearly biased in your favour.

by Funkmon @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:55 (3349 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, March 16, 2015, 12:27 (3349 days ago) @ Morpheus

You just missed it--me, Speed and Ron popped in one the second we landed on Earth. That second was literally the last one! It ended right as we all got in. Gold Ranks and Ascendancy for all!

One interesting thing about that location. Unless I'm mistaken, there are only two, not three crews to fight off.

by Claude Errera @, Monday, March 16, 2015, 13:25 (3349 days ago) @ Kermit

One interesting thing about that location. Unless I'm mistaken, there are only two, not three crews to fight off.

Usually. Occasionally I get all three. (I use destinypublicevents.com when I'm chasing the 3 event bounty, and look for places where the overlap is close. Steppes/Mothyards is a common overlap, so I've done that one a whole bunch of times.)

I spend a lot of time on the Steppes...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Monday, March 16, 2015, 14:21 (3349 days ago) @ Kermit

I've been keeping track, and it currently looks like you only need two waves about 40% of the time. (My numbers are based off of the RNG and may not be right.)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread