Dear Up North (Everyone else, feel free and ignore) (Off-Topic)

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:19 (3342 days ago)

Dear Up North,

Since I'm no longer at work, I believe that the time has finally come.

I will find you. I will drag you into a warehouse and tie you to a chair. I will force you to listen to four hours of MMMBop, and then another four hours of Don't Worry, Be Happy. As you recover from your temporary insanity, I will change into a nice suit, grab a can of gasoline and a knife, and play Stuck in the Middle With You. Fortunately, you will only hear it once. REVENGE WILL BE MINE FOR GETTING THAT STUCK IN MY HEAD ALL NIGHT.

With warmest regards,

Dagoonite

P.S. Good game, thanks for inviting me.

Click at your own risk

by Up North 65 @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:40 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

I can do this all day long. I might just do that, an inspirational 80s ballad per hour until I get my monies.

OH CRAP SOMEONE GIVE HIM MONIES STAT

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:45 (3342 days ago) @ Up North 65

All of this is better than that Uptown Funk song.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:59 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

It was on the radio about 8 times yesterday. I can never change the channel because it sounds so much like Rick James. It is the fly-paper of music.

I'm only giving you a pass because...

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:09 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

It was on the radio about 8 times yesterday. I can never change the channel because it sounds so much like Rick James. It is the fly-paper of music.

...you're right, total Rick James vibe. Still, come on, Iconic! We must stand firm against his mission to get every 80s ballad stuck in our heads!

I like 80's Ballads.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:13 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:22

...you're right, total Rick James vibe. Still, come on, Iconic! We must stand firm against his mission to get every 80s ballad stuck in our heads!

You're doomed, bro. Some men just want to watch the world yearn.

FASDF

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:52 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

THE LAST TWO WERE SOME OF MY BIG GUNS I WAS SAVING DANGIT

I was saving these two, thinking that I wouldn't have an excuse to use them, but since you popped those two out...

Birdhouse? Man, you're the best.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:58 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Love me some TMBG. More Up North Thunder Stealing! You can't hog the hits of the lost generation!

Pfft - fail. Last two are 90s.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 14:17 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

The 80's aren't a decade, my man. They're a state of mind!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 14:18 (3342 days ago) @ Claude Errera
edited by iconicbanana, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 14:27

Also the 90's were the 80's for Canada since they're always a decade behind the States. Canada Burn!

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 14:55 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

As someone who came of age in the 80s (I was 15 when they started, and 25 when they ended), I'm pretty sure I can say that the 90s aren't the 80s. :) (It's actually sort of amazing - that decade was separated by life events that lined up with chronological boundaries, in a way that no other decade has ever been for me. I entered high school three months before 1980 started (my high school was just 10-12; 9th grade was part of our middle school), and I got married, moved to a new state, and started grad school in 1990. So the 80s actually WERE a decade, bookended by actual life events for me. :) )

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 15:03 (3342 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As someone who came of age in the 80s (I was 15 when they started, and 25 when they ended), I'm pretty sure I can say that the 90s aren't the 80s. :) (It's actually sort of amazing - that decade was separated by life events that lined up with chronological boundaries, in a way that no other decade has ever been for me. I entered high school three months before 1980 started (my high school was just 10-12; 9th grade was part of our middle school), and I got married, moved to a new state, and started grad school in 1990. So the 80s actually WERE a decade, bookended by actual life events for me. :) )

Music is something that doesn't always line up so chronologically to me I guess. The 80's had a sound, and the 90's had a sound, and while they were pretty distinct, some acts ran past their sell-by date to me, while others started in the 80's but never really belonged to them. Maybe it's time that has melted down those demarcating bookends to me, or maybe just the order I heard things in. Soundgarden started in the 80's but I've always thought of them as a 90's group (probably because most of their hits were in the 90's); Meatloaf is a 70's guy, who released Anything for Love in 93, yet the song seems to wholly belong to the 80's, at least to me. Music is just one of those weird timeless things; but yes, I should certainly have clarified. 80's music in particular didn't belong to 1980-1989. It belongs to their spirit.

Does any of that make sense?

Yep.

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 15:44 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 16:00 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Music is something that doesn't always line up so chronologically to me I guess. The 80's had a sound, and the 90's had a sound, and while they were pretty distinct, some acts ran past their sell-by date to me, while others started in the 80's but never really belonged to them. Maybe it's time that has melted down those demarcating bookends to me, or maybe just the order I heard things in. Soundgarden started in the 80's but I've always thought of them as a 90's group (probably because most of their hits were in the 90's); Meatloaf is a 70's guy, who released Anything for Love in 93, yet the song seems to wholly belong to the 80's, at least to me. Music is just one of those weird timeless things; but yes, I should certainly have clarified. 80's music in particular didn't belong to 1980-1989. It belongs to their spirit.

Does any of that make sense?

I've long thought that culturally, a new decade takes a few years to find its groove and the past decade takes a few years to finally recede.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 17:49 (3342 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As someone who came of age in the 80s (I was 15 when they started, and 25 when they ended)

That makes you… exactly 20 years older than I am? Suddenly you don't seem as old as all the jokes would suggest.

by Earendil, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 18:06 (3342 days ago) @ Cody Miller

As someone who came of age in the 80s (I was 15 when they started, and 25 when they ended)

That makes you… exactly 20 years older than I am? Suddenly you don't seem as old as all the jokes would suggest.

Ditto. Exactly what I was thinking when I did that math :)

For Example, here is how the 90's kicked off.

by Earendil, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 15:55 (3342 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Two songs that, to me, are epitomes of the 80's genera of music, but were released in the 90's.

Rarely do we mean "music created in the 1980's" when we say "80's music".

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 17:21 (3342 days ago) @ Earendil

Two songs that, to me, are epitomes of the 80's genera of music, but were released in the 90's.

That's really interesting - because for me, those are epitomes of 90s music. :)

Heh... disagree. (I know I said I understood what Dr. B said... but understanding and agreeing are different. For me, music has always been rooted in chronological time; when I hear a song, one of the first pieces of information that comes to mind is "where I was when I first heard this" - and that is almost ALWAYS linked to a specific place/time. It's a skill (? maybe trait?) that has faded as I've gotten older, mostly because my memory is not as sharp as it used to be... but it's still mostly true.

1990/1991 is VERY different in my head from 1989, because my life in those times was so radically different. (I lived in Guatemala in 1989, and subsisted on eggs and beans. I lived in Portland in 1990, and subsisted on amazing food. And running water. And electricity all the time.)

by Warbow, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 17:32 (3342 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Heh... disagree. (I know I said I understood what Dr. B said... but understanding and agreeing are different. For me, music has always been rooted in chronological time; when I hear a song, one of the first pieces of information that comes to mind is "where I was when I first heard this" - and that is almost ALWAYS linked to a specific place/time. It's a skill (? maybe trait?) that has faded as I've gotten older, mostly because my memory is not as sharp as it used to be... but it's still mostly true.

Pretty much the same with me. I hear a song and it brings back memories of what book I was reading at the time or where I was working. It is really strange what memories get linked with music. The Cranberries are linked to installing a file server running IBM's OS/2, go figure.

by Earendil, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 18:03 (3342 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's really interesting - because for me, those are epitomes of 90s music. :)

Heh... disagree. (I know I said I understood what Dr. B said... but understanding and agreeing are different. For me, music has always been rooted in chronological time; when I hear a song, one of the first pieces of information that comes to mind is "where I was when I first heard this" - and that is almost ALWAYS linked to a specific place/time. It's a skill (? maybe trait?)

That only works if
1. You lived through the entire decade in question.
2. You listened to the song/artist in question.

If either one of those isn't true, than you are left without a personal memory association, and are simply left with the sound of the music, and how music sounds is what really defines a genera. "80's music" may not be a widely recognized genera, or even one that has some of the most clear boundries, but I was talking about how music sounds.

For me personally, I wasn't recording too many memories in the 80s, and wasn't alive at the beginning of it, so most of my hardcore memories of music come from the 90s. To me, MC Hammer sounds nothing like "80's music", if only because it doesn't sound like 90's music.

But I'll be the first to admit that what we're talking about are the "sounds of the decade", which is really just a theme that a lot of popular music adopted. The themes that are adopted may or may not last 10 years, and they certainly aren't adopted by all bands at the same time, right on the turn of the decade. This is why, to me, MC Hammer sounds like 80s, because the last of that artists music stemmed from 80's themes, while a band like Nirvana were among those that were creating themes that would be adopted in the 90s. Nirvana to me "sounds" more modern than they really are, only because their sound is associated with a decade of music that came after them.

And of course, some bands can get associated with a decade not because of how they sound, but because of how they looked. See Big Hair Bands (hair/glam rock) as an example. They certainly wouldn't be confused with 80's folk, but I also couldn't mistake a concert of theirs for being 90's :)

Sorry if I went too academic/philosophic when we really just wanted to reminisce :)

As an aside, I spent a months in Guatemala in the late 90s, right before the country really hit the shitter. Sadly, I don't think I'd go back there today as I don't have enough contacts to feel safe :(

You are listening to the northern most 80s rewind station

by Up North 65 @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 15:14 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

For your listening pleasure.

Dear Up North (Everyone else, feel free and ignore)

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:41 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Not that I didn't enjoy your humorous post (I did), but just wanted to point out in case you aren't aware -- if you look at another user's page (here is UpNorth's for example), there is usually a link to send the person a private message via email.

by Dagoonite, Somewhere in Iowa, lost in a cornfield., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:45 (3342 days ago) @ Speedracer513

Yeah, I know. No worries about letting me know, either. I just like being silly; life's too short to be serious all the time, and good-hearted silliness is meant to be shared.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 12:51 (3342 days ago) @ Dagoonite

Yeah, I know. No worries about letting me know, either. I just like being silly; life's too short to be serious all the time, and good-hearted silliness is meant to be shared.

I totally agree! Hence, I clicked on the thread anyway and enjoyed a good laugh while eating my pancakes.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 13:57 (3342 days ago) @ Speedracer513

I totally agree! Hence, I clicked on the thread anyway and enjoyed a good laugh while eating my pancakes.

Then you had to mention pancakes. Pancakes are serious business!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread