Weekly update! (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 18:20 (3335 days ago)

Farewell Marty

by Miguel Chavez, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 19:31 (3335 days ago) @ Kermit

Marty's influence is definitely gone from Bungie. RIP.

Farewell Marty

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 19:48 (3335 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Marty's influence is definitely gone from Bungie. RIP.

I hesitate to say that I've evolved on the issue of sliders, and things still aren't the way Cody would like, but a big part of my support of the status quo had to do with Bungie's success in creating an atmosphere, telling a story, and immersing the player in both, and all of that together being the experience of playing the game. Sadly, to me it's clear that Destiny's story, at least for this go-round, isn't as compelling or as immersive as their stories in past games have been, and my old argument against sliders doesn't hold up as well.

Farewell Marty

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:08 (3335 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I'm a little sad to see the new 'mute the soundtrack' feature, I know I won't be using it. I guess if you must listen to your tunes instead of the moving soundtrack now you can. It seems silly to me. I would think it would lessen the enjoyment & emotional connection to the game. II wonder what's next, muting the soundtrack on movies so you can listen to your own music while watching the movie? I think the movie would suffer immensely. Seems silly to me, but to each his own.

Adjusting the mix of chat vs game makes sense to me. The one feature I WOULD like, but apparently is not going to be included, is to mix the chat/game audio in my headphones as I often have trouble understanding what my teammates are saying over the game audio. Yet another reason for me to continue using party chat instead of in-game chat.

EDIT: I'd probably be okay with muting the music for crucible, but I think it's detrimental for PvE.

Farewell Marty

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:12 (3335 days ago) @ dogcow

I'm a little sad to see the new 'mute the soundtrack' feature, I know I won't be using it. I guess if you must listen to your tunes instead of the moving soundtrack now you can. It seems silly to me. I would think it would lessen the enjoyment & emotional connection to the game. II wonder what's next, muting the soundtrack on movies so you can listen to your own music while watching the movie? I think the movie would suffer immensely. Seems silly to me, but to each his own.

Adjusting the mix of chat vs game makes sense to me. The one feature I WOULD like, but apparently is not going to be included, is to mix the chat/game audio in my headphones as I often have trouble understanding what my teammates are saying over the game audio. Yet another reason for me to continue using party chat instead of in-game chat.

EDIT: I'd probably be okay with muting the music for crucible, but I think it's detrimental for PvE.

Well, you can reenact this masterpiece now:

Farewell Marty

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:24 (3335 days ago) @ iconicbanana

You sir, know exactly how to make me eat my words. I have a major weakness for the Led Zeppelonium, the heavy element of all rock.

But after the reenactment I will be turning the game soundtrack back on. For reals.

Farewell Marty

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:28 (3335 days ago) @ dogcow

You sir, know exactly how to make me eat my words. I have a major weakness for the Led Zeppelonium, the heavy element of all rock.

But after the reenactment I will be turning the game soundtrack back on. For reals.

I definitely agree with your argument though. The only time I feel it's ever appropriate to play your own music over a game's soundtrack is when you're playing Dead Rising. And even then, it's to reenact Shaun of the Dead by killin' zombies to Queen's Don't Stop Me Now.

And frankly, choosing appropriate mall music is a game mechanic there.

Farewell Marty

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:15 (3335 days ago) @ dogcow

I'd be more excited if they split the "Game Volume" option into separate options for voice over, sound effects, and music. It'd be adios, Dinklebot; Hello, sweet Destiny soundtrack.

-Disciple

Farewell Marty

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:21 (3335 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I'd be more excited if they split the "Game Volume" option into separate options for voice over, sound effects, and music. It'd be adios, Dinklebot; Hello, sweet Destiny soundtrack.

-Disciple

Exactly. This is all they would need to do. The mute music option would be superfluous with proper sliders. With a film, a fixed mix is okay because you are only ever seeing and doing one thing. With a game, not only do you control what you do and see, but you may want to do and see things that fall outside of the range of intended or normal behavior of someone just playing through the story.

Farewell Marty

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:04 (3335 days ago) @ dogcow

I would think that you could, actually, from the options described. I reckon the wording is just difficult to get across since the standard 'headset' in use for game consoles is those crappy mono-aural bands with the boom mic - not a proper stereo headset.

Farewell Marty

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 20, 2015, 00:17 (3335 days ago) @ dogcow

Uh, don't most headphones that can play system audio in addition to chat already have their own mix controls?

That's a serious question. I invested in surround sound and don't have anyone living with me who cares about volume, so I've never owned or used that type of headphones. It seems odd to me that they wouldn't have their own mix controls, though.

And hellooooooo Avril Lavigne!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 20:51 (3335 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Aww yeah! Custom soundtracks! Now I can listen to my jamz instead of the award winning soundtrack created by a goddamn musical genius. /sarcasm.

What the hell.

Was anyone even asking for this music mute feature? I've never even heard that complaint! Not even Cody was bitching about it.

It's a Twitch Streamer thing

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:06 (3335 days ago) @ Funkmon

And they've been asking for it quite frequently. A lot of them will use custom music playlists while broadcasting, and they've been resorting to muting the game entirely to avoid the two overlaying tracks clashing.

Destiny's music is okay, but even I have grown sick of certain tracks after all my playtime. It's no Halo 3, and even in that you could enable custom soundtracks.

Ahh, understandable then.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 21:21 (3335 days ago) @ CyberKN

Twitch appears to be the hip new thing through which people are interacting with games, so I understand now why Bungie is doing this. Make the Twitch streamers happy, keep the numbers up, keep up influence.

Rubbish

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, March 19, 2015, 22:09 (3335 days ago) @ CyberKN

I used the custom soundtrack feature on the 360 all the time and I've streamed like... once. This is just feature parity.

I'm not trying to be assertive/negative

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 20, 2015, 00:37 (3335 days ago) @ RC

I'm just pointing out a possible use case. Like I said, this is where I saw most of the requests coming from.

It's a Twitch Streamer thing

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, March 20, 2015, 00:21 (3335 days ago) @ CyberKN

I'd imagine there are plenty of other reasons for wanting this feature. Someone who's recording things with the intention of cutting their own videos with their own soundtrack might not want music present, but might still want the other game sounds.

Can I set it to just replace the Mars Music

by Kahzgul, Friday, March 20, 2015, 02:11 (3334 days ago) @ CyberKN

with literally any other track from the game? That bombastic march is so goddamn awful. It's the first music in a bungie game that's ever irked me.

Ditto.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Friday, March 20, 2015, 03:52 (3334 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

Funny

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, March 20, 2015, 15:21 (3334 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Mars has my favorite music.

To each their own, I suppose.

RIGHT Over Their Heads.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, March 20, 2015, 23:53 (3334 days ago) @ Kermit

I wasn't looking to mute the music--I wanted to mute the sound effects! God, that just kills me.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread