Deadhold, the reincarnation of Myth (Gaming)

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 16:36 (3322 days ago)
edited by MacAddictXIV, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:17

I've been playing and talking with the guys who have been play testing and developing Deadhold for a little while now, and it's gotten to the point where they wanted to expand the player base. Naturally, this was the first place I went to. But before I mention anything else, here is a message straight from one of the Deadhold developers!

Calling all Old School Mythers ... we've been working on a myth-like game called Deadhold

It's early days yet, but we've finally entered a phase where we have something for people to jump in and playtest. If you'd like to join us, request a Steam key from "fisj" (fisj@deadhold.com). More info will be sent along with your steam key. PC only (for now), and you'll need a decent gfx card!

On their website it shows you how to install Deadhold through steam. Also, there is a reason why fisj mentioned the need for a decent gfx card, it's because Deadhold is based on the Unreal 4 engine and because of that the game is freaking beautiful. Just note that it is in Alpha stage right now, but even so it's pretty solid imho.

If you want to see more videos, you can always search YouTube for "Deadhold" and "Alpha" and you will get a ton of play test games (I would filter by most recent). However if you want to play with others, they hold play testing on Saturdays 8PM EST!

Deadhold, the reincarnation of Myth

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 16:42 (3322 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Interesting. I have always been amazed that Myth style RTS's, utilizing 3d and physics didn't become more of a thing. The starcraft/warcraft style RTS is king but I always felt, especially with advances in tech, that there is plenty of room for the Myth style RTS.

Truly an under-appreciated game, Myth. I think Bungie's background as a Mac exclusive developer probably hurts them a little bit in terms of their games notoriety and their place in gaming history.

How amusing is it to meet someone who thinks Bungie started with Halo? I've had many encounters like that over the years.

by Warbow, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:32 (3322 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

How amusing is it to meet someone who thinks Bungie started with Halo? I've had many encounters like that over the years.

My first experience with Bungie was Marathon 2: Durandal. I would get complaints from a single office that access to the Novell Netware server was slow during lunch and would slow down again about 4:45pm everyday. Finally, I'm in that office and happened to hear some loud whoops coming from the creative department during lunch. Yeah, the Mac guys were eating up all the bandwidth with Marathon 2. I asked them to lay low for a few days at lunch and not to start there afternoon games till after 5pm. Most people stopped complaining so win-win.

My first positive experience with Bungie was Halo!

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:16 (3322 days ago) @ Warbow

Should have joined in ;).

I've had people start lecturing me about how Bungie came about with the creation of Halo. The feeling is hard to describe, but it's somewhere in the neighborhood of exasperation and contempt.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 16:19 (3321 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

In. A Sence, I don't disagree. Chicago/Macintosh bungie really was a different feeling and Experiance as far as a game company. I know it's not like everybody left but it was a saltation point.

Besides they sound as silly to you and everyone here acting like Bungie started with marathon sounds (pathways was my secret weapon when PC friends would brag about doom.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 17:02 (3321 days ago) @ Vortech

Pathways was the first Bungie game that I KNOW I played and I knew who made it, which is why I was excited about Marathon when it came out. I may have played Minotaur, the box is familiar to me, maybe I just lusted for it in those mail order mac catalogues. I probably played Gnop! with it being free and all, but I can't be sure. I seem to recall my brother talking about ordering the source code for a simple game like that. Not sure if he ever did. I'll have to ask him about that.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:28 (3322 days ago) @ Warbow

I told this story just the other night, and I've told it here before, but I bought a Power Mac 7100 just to play Marathon. It was my first color computer. Shortly before that I had gotten the Macworld disc with the demo on it, and I'd taken it to the computer lab at school, the lab was about the close, and I launched the Marathon demo. It was only me and the lab attendant, and I forgot about sound, and the Marathon music blared out. The attendant said, "Someone's playing Marathon," and that was that--my first moment with a Bungie game.

by Fuertisimo, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:59 (3322 days ago) @ Kermit

I first played Marathon 2 at a friends house who had a powermac. It was love at first play.

At home I had a Macintosh 2CI, boasting an impressive 25 MHZ processor. For most of the first year I played Marathon 2 and Marathon Infinity on the absolute lowest possible graphics settings, managing to eek out a blistering 4 FPS on average.

Eventually my parents decided I could get a new computer (actually my dad just took an old one from work they were going to throw away and brought it home. He was an unbelievable cheapskate.)

My new computer? A quadra 840! WOW I thought! I can run the game at the absolute lowest possible graphics settings and get all the way up to 20 FPS sometimes! THIS IS AWESOME!!! What a difference the 40 MHZ processor makes! If I'm feeling bold or there isn't a lot on screen I can boost the resolution to 75%! I AM IN HEAVEN!

I couldn't actually properly play Marathon at my own house until the year 2000 when I finally got a powermac for Christmas.

The 2CI actually had trouble running pathways into darkness as I recall, but the quadra could handle it.

Those were the days, I tell you, those were the days. Forge was a real bitch on the 2CI too, polygons would take like, 2 seconds to fill lol.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:15 (3322 days ago) @ Fuertisimo

I remembering trying to play Marathon 1 on my LC II (32 bit 68030 processor stuck on a 16 bit bus, what an awful computer for any serious CPU use (compiling, ray-tracing, marathon, etc)). I don't remember if this was before or after I convinced my dad to get the math co-processor card, but man it was hardly playable, but I would still try & play it. Hallelujah! when my brother had to move around for his work & left his powermac at our house.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:04 (3322 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

My iMac is sick, and I'm looking to buy a new Macbook.

What's a decent gfx card these days?

Here's what Apple offers in their laptops.

Intel HD Graphics 5300

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Intel HD Graphics 6100

They offer some higher-end options with NVIDIA cards, but I don't think I'll be springing for that.

Kermit

None of these are

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 17:32 (3322 days ago) @ Kermit

But then again, I'm a gaming enthusiast. :p Integrated graphic units irk me to my core.

I'd go with the 6100, since it's the best one of the bunch, according to many benchmarks I've seen.

Seconded

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:19 (3322 days ago) @ ZackDark

UE4 requires DX11, which I don't believe the 4000 supports (maybe 4500+ only?)

So while the other three might support dx11, I would guarantee that it won't be a nice experience. Integrated Intel graphics won't get you very far, Kerm... :(

Maybe you could go for an external gfx card, but I have no clue if Apple allows those. I would guess not...

Seconded

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 18:23 (3322 days ago) @ JDQuackers

UE4 requires DX11, which I don't believe the 4000 supports (maybe 4500+ only?)

So while the other three might support dx11, I would guarantee that it won't be a nice experience. Integrated Intel graphics won't get you very far, Kerm... :(

Maybe you could go for an external gfx card, but I have no clue if Apple allows those. I would guess not...

Well, honestly, I'm not buying it for gaming really, but I thought I would ask. With laptops it's all about portability with me, so it's a relief to rule out the bulkier models.

At some point I might get a new desktop, and I'll ask again.

Have external GPUs ever been a real thing?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:56 (3322 days ago) @ JDQuackers

- No text -

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 20:05 (3322 days ago) @ ZackDark

They definitely are a thing. They actually used to be more common, but now-a-days if anyone goes down that route it is more likely for them to get something like a PCIe box that's run off of thunderbolt or USB 3 and then just put a graphics card in it. If you get thunderbolt it's honestly barely slower than what most systems would be able to handle anyway. Now, whether your computer can get drivers for the cards is another question entirely.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 20:08 (3322 days ago) @ Xenos

I used to read mentions of it everywhere, but never did find any concrete solution, not even online. Most professional-looking solutions I've found relied on ports that I either had never heard of or had insufficient bandwidth on any laptop I had ever put my hands on.

I guess with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt, bandwidth shouldn't be much of a problem as it was back then.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:43 (3322 days ago) @ Xenos

They definitely are a thing. They actually used to be more common, but now-a-days if anyone goes down that route it is more likely for them to get something like a PCIe box that's run off of thunderbolt or USB 3 and then just put a graphics card in it. If you get thunderbolt it's honestly barely slower than what most systems would be able to handle anyway.

Not really true. Thunderbolt solutions give you a 4x slot. I think they are just now coming out with an 8x. Your graphics card generally goes in a 16x slot.

It makes a difference. So yeah, an external PCI chassis will work, but you're not going to get max performance from your card.

I have never heard of a USB 3 PCI chassis, because that would be miserable.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 22:09 (3322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They definitely are a thing. They actually used to be more common, but now-a-days if anyone goes down that route it is more likely for them to get something like a PCIe box that's run off of thunderbolt or USB 3 and then just put a graphics card in it. If you get thunderbolt it's honestly barely slower than what most systems would be able to handle anyway.

Not really true. Thunderbolt solutions give you a 4x slot. I think they are just now coming out with an 8x. Your graphics card generally goes in a 16x slot.

Yeah you're right, completely forgot Thunderbolt 2 is 20 gigabits compared to PCIe 16 gigabytes.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 21:46 (3322 days ago) @ Kermit

Intel HD Graphics 5300

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Intel HD Graphics 6100

They offer some higher-end options with NVIDIA cards, but I don't think I'll be springing for that.

Kermit

If you want a gaming Mac, buy an old mac pro off of craigslist. 2010 or newer, and get a Radeon 7950 Mac edition card to put into it. That should be cheaper and better than a new macbook.

My 2008 Mac Pro got 60fps with V-Sync on in Bioshock Infinite running at ultra everything in 1920 x 1080. Of course I booted into windows for that though.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 22:14 (3322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Intel HD Graphics 5300

Intel HD Graphics 4000

Intel HD Graphics 6000

Intel HD Graphics 6100

Kermit

If you want a gaming Mac, buy an old mac pro off of craigslist. 2010 or newer, and get a Radeon 7950 Mac edition card to put into it. That should be cheaper and better than a new macbook.

My 2008 Mac Pro got 60fps with V-Sync on in Bioshock Infinite running at ultra everything in 1920 x 1080. Of course I booted into windows for that though.

That's encouraging. I knew you had a Mac Pro, but I didn't realize you had an older one.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 08:27 (3322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If you want a gaming Mac, buy an old mac pro off of craigslist.

If you want a gaming Mac, build it.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-march-2015.html#CustoMac_Pro

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 15:47 (3321 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 15:52

http://www.tonymacx86.com/building-customac-buyers-guide-march-2015.html#CustoMac_Pro

Do you still need to run a modified version of OS X on those? Everybody I know with hackintoshes has tons of problems.

Also that seems wicked expensive. I clicked a link, and you're out 1,700 bucks for ONE Xeon 2.8 ghz. Most mac pros (Towers) have two. That's 3400 bucks right there, for just the processors.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, March 27, 2015, 03:36 (3321 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you still need to run a modified version of OS X on those? Everybody I know with hackintoshes has tons of problems.

No, you just need a bootloader. If you choose your components for compatibilty (and the list is broader than what Apple actually puts into its machines) you can, and should, install from a retail disc. There are helpful installers to put on a USB stick so you can boot the machine and install the OS (unibeast) and helpful installers to add any drivers you might need (multibeast). But the days of having to add in multiple kernel extensions are largely over; there are only a couple that are actually required and the installers handle those as part of the installation process, but the OS itself is not patched the way it was in the very early days (kalyway, etc).

Also that seems wicked expensive. I clicked a link, and you're out 1,700 bucks for ONE Xeon 2.8 ghz. Most mac pros (Towers) have two. That's 3400 bucks right there, for just the processors.

That's the Socket 2011 build, not the "Custom Mac Pro" I linked to. Hardly anybody needs a Xeon. Myself I have an i7. I spent about $1800 total on the build including all new parts (Gigabyte UD5h mobo, 700W PSU, CPU i7 3770, Nvidia 660TI, Samsung SSD, 16GB RAM, 14TB of storage (some were drives I already had) and a Blackmagic Intensity shuttle for HDMI capture. Some of this stuff was more expensive because I either had to ship it halfway across the world because it wasn't available here, or because in the local market it was more expensive (markup can range from 20% to 100% depending on the item).

Legit Apple hardware over here also has a lot of markup, and generally the inventory is old, sometimes an entire cycle or more behind.

For instance, here's a Mac Mini for sale in the local market:

http://www.alser.kz/product/kompyuter_apple_mac_mini_a1347_intel_core_i5/197/1822

They are selling a machine that is three years old-- it shipped with Mountain Lion-- for $981. It comes with 4Gb RAM and 500Gb HD, and a 2.5Ghz i5.

The US Apple store currently sells a 2.8Ghz i5 with twice the RAM, twice the storage, Iris graphics and Yosemite for only $19 more.

Of course, if you're in the US, Canada, or even continental europe, the markups are not quite as steep and the inventory not as old, but you get the idea.

On the absoutely top end of the scale, you can probably get more raw power more economically by buying one of the new Pros, if that configuration suits you.

It's the broad midrange between "I need more expansion than you can get in a Mini or an iMac" (which is none) and "I want something less expensive than a new Mac Pro" where you can build a tower in the $600 - $1700 range. I've done it twice now and will probably do it again sometime in the next 5 years.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 16:40 (3321 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Vortech, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 16:43

I feel safe assuming I'm the most consistent Mac advocate on a board with someone named Dogcow and someone named macaddict and I still say this: if you want to build a gaming PC build a Windows one. In addition to the unsupported problems Cody talks about below (and really why have a Mac if you don't care about reliability, consistency or support?) you will be limited in options and upgradibility and game selection. It's like the worst of both worlds.

As for cody's point , though, I can't imagine why you would want to use a Xeon in your gaming rig in the first place. Thermal longevity, I guess? But one of the few things I liked about maintaining a gaming PC Was the fact (illusion) that I could upgrade parts frequently.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, March 26, 2015, 17:13 (3321 days ago) @ Vortech

I feel safe assuming I'm the most consistent Mac advocate on a board with someone named Dogcow and someone named macaddict and I still say this: if you want to build a gaming PC build a Windows one. In addition to the unsupported problems Cody talks about below (and really why have a Mac if you don't care about reliability, consistency or support?) you will be limited in options and upgradibility and game selection. It's like the worst of both worlds.

Last time I built a PC I made sure it could be hackintoshed. I had planned on using the integrated graphics when hackintoshing, and using the discrete ATI/AMD GPU when in windows & gaming. It turned out to be more trouble than it was worth and just booted into windows most of the time. If it wasn't for that 'genius' idea to go with the better ATI/AMD instead of the more compatible nVidia then I may have stuck with it, but I can't say for sure... The lure of having a good gaming pc that will also run OSX is hard to pass on, but... I'm not convinced it's worth it. It certainly couldn't hurt to build a PC with hackintoshing in mind, it'll probably cost you a little more, and worse case scenario you'll just end up with a nice windows pc.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 19:32 (3321 days ago) @ Vortech

As for cody's point , though, I can't imagine why you would want to use a Xeon in your gaming rig in the first place.

Because they are FAST, and you get 4 to 8 cores per CPU? Games nowadays are really good at improving performance with multiple cores.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, March 28, 2015, 22:55 (3319 days ago) @ Vortech

As for cody's point , though, I can't imagine why you would want to use a Xeon in your gaming rig in the first place. Thermal longevity, I guess? But one of the few things I liked about maintaining a gaming PC Was the fact (illusion) that I could upgrade parts frequently.

I have never owned a PC and never plan to.

[image]

Truth be told, I have thought about building a gaming rig before, but honestly, I don't have time to play the games I want to play on the consoles I have.

My interest in PC/Mac gaming is limited and very targeted. There are a few things I'd like to play, like Deadhold and Goin Home, but that's it.

Macs have given me a lot. I use PCs at work, and there are things I like about them, but the idea of owning one doesn't appeal to me.

Kermit

Can. Not. Wait.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, March 25, 2015, 19:52 (3322 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Thanks for the info, this looks amazing. I just bugged them for a Steam key, fingers crossed!

Time to borrow my friend's gaming PC for a week.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 01:19 (3322 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Deadhold suggestions and chat

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, March 26, 2015, 11:41 (3321 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, if you want to stop in and chat with the devs and other alpha testers or you want to speak your mind about the game and possible future improvements you can stop on in to their Slack channel deadhold.slack.com

I'm in their constantly just listening to the chat. Also, it's a great place to post bug reports and coordinate to see if anyone wants to play.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread