Destiny Awaits - a Fan Fiction

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Friday, March 29, 2013, 23:23 (4045 days ago)
edited by Mix, Friday, March 29, 2013, 23:27

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bn3ZadBG9tSNTJTQtt38l2Exl2jfwtKjpU-TChY4if4/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, I threw this together from other scraps I'd been working on lately and I wanted to see what people thought. Read it, don't read it, either way construction criticism is appreciated.
This is part one of something that I would love to move forward is, I guess that'll be based on the general consensus or what ever I decide ;)
Thanks!

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 04:15 (4045 days ago) @ Mix
edited by TTL Demag0gue, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 04:55

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bn3ZadBG9tSNTJTQtt38l2Exl2jfwtKjpU-TChY4if4/edit?usp=sharing

Okay, I threw this together from other scraps I'd been working on lately and I wanted to see what people thought. Read it, don't read it, either way construction criticism is appreciated.

Not a bad start! It needs a little polish -- in particular, there are a handful of places where you switch from past to present tense and back again, and some places that could be rephrased to smooth out the flow -- but it's definitely an interesting beginning and leaves the door open for future expansion. And I'd certainly be happy to provide a more detailed critique, if that's something you'd be interested in.

This is part one of something that I would love to move forward is, I guess that'll be based on the general consensus or what ever I decide ;)
Thanks!

As a writer, in my opinion, the first audience you should be writing for is yourself. Write things that you would enjoy reading yourself. If other people like it, too, then that's icing on the cake, so to speak -- but don't let other people's opinions prevent you from creating. There will always be people who hate what you do and will tear you down and try to prevent you from writing. Ignore them, and keep writing anyway. I've seen more than a few talented people stop doing the things they love because they let other people stop them.

Sorry about the mini-rant. As you can tell, this is kind of an important point for me. :)

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 07:43 (4045 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Thanks for reading it and giving me some clues as to what I need to improve upon! I've actually been writing for quite some time, plays and screenplays and the such, I just became inspired after watching the GDC panel for the third time in a row and threw it together form a couple of other things Destiny related I'd been working on. I think I wrote this in roughly thirty minutes and at 2am I thought why not post it?

I've gone through and fixed some of the tense inconsistencies and I'm working on rephrasing things, I really appreciate you giving me some of your own insight!

Destiny Awaits Part 2

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 10:59 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RkRxsxadsnW2gJzzStu1J23l2Q-3j904c11I6W7Tubc/edit?usp=sharing

Part two is up and it's beautiful! go read and tell me what you think. Do you like the direction it's going? Hate it? Feel indifferent? let me know!

Destiny Awaits Part 2

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 11:17 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

Interesting. I quite like the direction you're taking this, but it also touches on something I'm curious about -- the Traveler's specific role in Destiny. We know that the magical powers and the technologies the Guardians use are derived from the Traveler. What we don't know yet, though, is how active a role the Traveler will have. Everything I've seen so far indicates -- to me, at least -- that the Traveler is dormant, inactive, and that whatever power it bestows on the Guardians is done so passively, almost as little more than a consequence of its presence above the city. Your fiction makes the Traveler more aware and active than that, so I'll be curious to see how the actuality of the Traveler compares to this.

Destiny Awaits Part 2

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 12:02 (4044 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I also think that the way it'll play out in game is that it'll be dormant and I don't know how dormant it'll be in this story as it continues, maybe the reason the Traveler had to give Argyn the message was because it couldn't do it itself.

Just a request...

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 11:31 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

I realize we don't have a Fan Fiction section yet ('yet' might be the wrong word; maintaining HBO's FF section became a pretty onerous task at some point, and I'm not sure I want to repeat it... but no decisions have been made at this point), but I'd really appreciate, from an organizational standpoint, that you keep all of your chapters together, in one thread. I don't think every chapter needs a new one, especially since the most common configuration choice is bumped threads.

Thanks!

Just a request...

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 12:00 (4044 days ago) @ Claude Errera

yes sir :) I do apologize, I didn't mean to clutter the space. Sorry Claude!

No sweat. Threads merged. :)

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 13:47 (4044 days ago) @ Mix

- No text -

<3

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, March 30, 2013, 14:01 (4044 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

- No text -

Destiny Awaits Part Three

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 07:11 (4041 days ago) @ Mix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WaXrnTX4yi9cCD6MW61O1JHNiu6eiKYZZzwqQ1XzHVI/edit?usp=sharing

There you go. This chapter ran a bit slowly, but it's gonna get good :) Let me know what you think!
Mix

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:21 (4041 days ago) @ Mix

Fascinating! For the record, it doesn't read slow to me. Dialogue scenes can be every bit as important to the flow of a story as action sequences, and you do a good job here of adding flavor and character to the politics of the City.

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:49 (4041 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Why thank you sir! Has this been over over to the fan October side? I'd love to host it here instead of google docs! :P

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 10:00 (4041 days ago) @ Mix

I haven't added anything to the fan fiction site yet except for my own (meager) contribution. I don't like to assume (we artists can be a prickly bunch). :) Feel free to contribute anything you'd like hosted here, and we'll get it up.

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 10:08 (4041 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Awesome man, thanks. I hope we can continue to see this part of the community grow and expand

My offer

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 17:15 (4040 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

TTL if you ever need any help managing the Fan Fiction, I'd be happy to help, don't know if you will, but the offer is there.

My offer

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 17:21 (4040 days ago) @ Xenos

I'll keep you in mind in the event it becomes a task that requires more than just one person. :)

My offer

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 19:05 (4040 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I offer myself as well. Also, since I've been releasing mine in parts, is it okay if I just submit it in different bits?

Destiny Awaits Part Four

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Friday, April 05, 2013, 06:30 (4039 days ago) @ Mix

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pg-1ToRCh_3rtkPIs7BGXZ5hHsQsTFBSQ4mNZ5eWuYk/edit?usp=sharing

This one is probably my favorite so far :)
Enjoy, and tell me what you think!

Destiny Awaits -Part 5

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Tuesday, April 09, 2013, 06:58 (4035 days ago) @ Mix

Destiny Awaits - Part 6

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Monday, April 15, 2013, 19:23 (4028 days ago) @ Mix

This must be my favorite part yet. A bit longer and way more fun to write/read. Tell me what you think!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-LgR8GDjK4KmZ2_0c11t4-qF5OXXeAw5njAVti8IcF4/edit?usp=sharing

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread