BWU 04/09/2015 (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 20:50 (3315 days ago)

BWU 04/09/2015

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:04 (3314 days ago) @ CyberKN

Nothing earth shattering, but the special ammo changes in PvP sound promising. Gear-locking is a great feature, too.

Sounds like 1.1.2 will likely go live before the next update, if I'm reading between the lines accurately.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:08 (3314 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Nothing earth shattering, but the special ammo changes in PvP sound promising. Gear-locking is a great feature, too.

Sounds like 1.1.2 will likely go live before the next update, if I'm reading between the lines accurately.

I'm excited for the ability to wear helmets in the Tower, as it's hard to get a good look anywhere else consistently.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:12 (3314 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

You mean before HoW? They confirmed it is a few weeks ago.

BWU 04/09/2015

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:17 (3314 days ago) @ Xenos

I meant before the next BWU :)

Duh. Carry on.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:18 (3314 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

BWU 04/09/2015

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:23 (3314 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I meant before the next BWU :)

I'm just happy we'll have more vault space soon.

BWU 04/09/2015

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:21 (3314 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Sounds about right. From last week's update:

These changes will arrive in a couple of weeks. We’ll be interested to hear what you think after you’ve had the chance to experience them for yourselves.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:09 (3314 days ago) @ CyberKN

Featured topics: Ammo, Helmets, Security, and Charity

1. I don't think the problem is necessarily that there is too much special ammo, but that lots of shotguns, especially those with high range and the shot package perk, are effective at ranges that are too ridiculous. These changes don't help that at all. Removing shot package from the game, and reducing the range on a per shotgun basis (not a blanket nerf) would be enough on its own I think.

2. Despawning heavy ammo is a terrible idea, and removes a really cool strategy that definitely makes matches more interesting.

3. We don't need timers for ammo drops and stuff like that, the less cluttering our screen the better.

4. Locking weapons is cool.

5. The option to wear helmets in the tower is cool.

+1

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:17 (3314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

BWU 04/09/2015

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:17 (3314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Featured topics: Ammo, Helmets, Security, and Charity

1. I don't think the problem is necessarily that there is too much special ammo, but that lots of shotguns, especially those with high range and the shot package perk, are effective at ranges that are too ridiculous. These changes don't help that at all. Removing shot package from the game, and reducing the range on a per shotgun basis (not a blanket nerf) would be enough on its own I think.

Shotguns don't kill if they don't have any ammo in them... Of course mine almost always will. (Hugs Invective)

2. Despawning heavy ammo is a terrible idea, and removes a really cool strategy that definitely makes matches more interesting.

By "interesting" you're describing the match I had last night where I just died to rockets and supers over and over, usually just after spawning, for the final three to four minutes of the game... I'm pretty firmly of the opinion that Bungie has the right idea here.

BWU 04/09/2015

by bluerunner @, Music City, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:33 (3314 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Pick up heavy, fall back to a quite spot for a minute while everybody else uses theirs up, then go on a killing spree.

I always avoided picking it up right away because I was pretty certain a Truth rocket would find my face shortly after the initial drop. Letting most everyone else use up their heavy, especially rockets, before picking up ammo for my heavy machine gun is just a good strategy. Now I have less incentive to run with a MG if I can die really fast to rockets and lose it, or I'll just use the strategy I described above and negate a lot of their intent with the ammo despawn.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:20 (3314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

3. We don't need timers for ammo drops and stuff like that, the less cluttering our screen the better.

I'm a big fan of keeping the screen clean and uncluttered, but I also don't remember spawn locations or timings, so I'm happy to hear about some HUD help on this. I've always wondered why they never had it before, actually. I think the HUD can handle it without being overwhelming.

BWU 04/09/2015

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:22 (3314 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm a big fan of keeping the screen clean and uncluttered, but I also don't remember spawn locations or timings, so I'm happy to hear about some HUD help on this. I've always wondered why they never had it before, actually. I think the HUD can handle it without being overwhelming.

Our little forray back in to Titanfall reminded me how clean Destiny's UI really is :)

BWU 04/09/2015

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:24 (3314 days ago) @ Leviathan

One of the important things in past bungie games has been to learn when weapons drop. I'm not sure there is really any reason to extend the announcement. Between this, despawning ammo, and even less secondary ammo they are taking out a huge variety of gameplay options. Now Icebreaker and Inventive will be in more abundance, and you lose the incentive to try and wait on grabbing heavy ammo until after the mayhem is finished.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:31 (3314 days ago) @ unoudid

One of the important things in past bungie games has been to learn when weapons drop.

Yep, and I always hated it and what it did to the rhythm of the game, especially Halo 2. :)

God dang Sniper in Colossus.... ugh. Horrible memories!

(I would much rather die by shooting skill or luck, and not memorization or timing of a larger 'meta-game' or whatever you want to call it. But that's just me.)

Accessibility for the color-blind or hearing impaired

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 21:59 (3314 days ago) @ unoudid

I think visual cues are a good move for those who might be hearing impaired. I've always felt only having auditory clues that heavy was dropping wasn't enough.

The clock is the visual clue already

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:00 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

Not really.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:08 (3314 days ago) @ unoudid

But it isn't. Knowing what time heavy drops is knowledge learned, not an actual visual cue. For example, a door bell for the hard of hearing flashes the lights. That's a cue. It's not memorizing when your guest will arrive.

Not really.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:24 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

That's why I said clue, not cue lol

Not really.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 23:49 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

Hehe. The image of going to my door knowing that my guest will be here in 3...2...1... made me smile. :)

Not really.

by Up North 65 @, Friday, April 10, 2015, 00:47 (3314 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I normally do that to the pizza guy. I just sit in front of the door with a beer and open it before he even gets a chance to knock. Changing the heavy weapon pickup really changes my "Get it but dont grab it" play style. I'll usually leave it for several deaths and then grab it to help swing a game around. Wish the lock feature was implemented at 0900 on Tuesday before I sharded my Black hammer in the nightfall.

Not really.

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Friday, April 10, 2015, 01:18 (3314 days ago) @ Up North 65

Wish the lock feature was implemented at 0900 on Tuesday before I sharded my Black hammer in the nightfall.

If we could actually bump that back to a couple of weeks ago before I accidentally scrapped my Hunter's raid boots, that'd be even better :p

At least we won't have to worry about it happening again.

-Disciple

Not really.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Friday, April 10, 2015, 13:06 (3314 days ago) @ DiscipleN2k

I could actually leave my VoG armor on my characters then! I never do because I know i will accidentally delete them when I see they are 30 light level.

Accessibility for the color-blind or hearing impaired

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:03 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

I think visual cues are a good move for those who might be hearing impaired. I've always felt only having auditory clues that heavy was dropping wasn't enough.

Then Bungie should just do closed captioning like Valve's games.

I have CC on, and CC doesn't trigger in Crucible.

by BeardFade ⌂, Portland, OR, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:09 (3314 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Nor Patrol beacons or Tower dialog, for that matter

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:45 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

- No text -

I have CC on, and CC doesn't trigger in Crucible.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:49 (3314 days ago) @ BeardFade

They need to change that. Valve is very good at this, and game audio cues (as well as spoken dialogue, obviously) always appear in the closed captioning.

BWU 04/09/2015

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 23:47 (3314 days ago) @ unoudid

I think it might be balanced (somewhat) by the fact that neither Icebreaker nor Invective are the best of their weapon type. Invective is a bit less powerful than other shotguns and Icebreaker is a little harder to use. Perhaps not enough to balance unlimited ammo (especially on Icebreaker) but there is that...

BWU 04/09/2015

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, April 09, 2015, 22:37 (3314 days ago) @ CyberKN

The special ammo change is a major buzzkill. My shotgun craves blood, what am I supposed to do, give it tomato juice? Seriously though, less ammo crates, and the ones that do spawn will spawn less often, and when I do happen to find one intact, I'll have to wait longer to get my ammo, and after all that I'll get less ammo? I don't think there's a problem with special ammo as it stands-- partly because, as stated, my shotgun wants to keep your Ghost in a job, and partly because Ice Breaker, Invective, and various special weapons that can gain ammo on spawn make it something of a moot point to limit ammo. Even with that in mind, I could've gotten behind one of these changes, and I would've been OK with two, but all four, together? This really feels like overkill. (or I guess that would be underkill? either way it's still a buzzkill)
Gear locking is nice. I've only sharded maybe three things I wanted to keep and none of them were legendary or exotic, but now I'll... be more safe, I guess?
The helmet thing is nicer. I do wonder, if it was simple like they said, why they didn't change it in the last 8 months, and I still would like to wear a hood with no helmet, but it's an improvement.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread