Solar Titan (concept) (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 04:39 (3309 days ago)
edited by Korny, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 05:20

SCORCHER (Solar Titan)
[image]
Everything burns...

==

GRENADES

• Napalm Grenade: An explosive grenade that detonates on impact with any surface, leaving flames that deal continuous damage and ignite enemies.
  • Torrent Grenade: A grenade that sticks to any surface, spraying enemies with flames when they get within range.
  • Solar Flare: A grenade that emits a strong light, blinding enemies that get within range.

MOVEMENT ABILITIES

• Lift: Jump and press [Jump again] while in the air to activate Lift.

Modifiers

• Increased Height: Upgrades Lift to travel to greater heights.
  • Increased Control: Upgrades Lift for better directional control while in the air.
  • Catapult: Upgrades Lift to provide a strong initial burst of momentum.

SUPER ABILITY

• Immolation: Surround yourself with flames, making you resistant to melee damage, giving you a more powerful and unlimited Jetblast, and you leave a trail of flames wherever you go.

Modifiers

• Firefist: During Immolation, Jetblast is replaced with twin flamethrowers from your Gauntlets, scorching enemies within range.
  • Burn A Path: During Immolation, sprint speed is greatly increased, and your flame trail is larger. Perk is boosted by Agility Rating.
  • Feel The Burn: During Immolation, enemies near you start to take heat damage, and melee hits from enemies ignite them.

MELEE ABILITY

• Jetblast: A melee attack that can launch multiple enemies back.

Modifiers

• Ignition: Hits with Jetblast or Firefist ignite enemies.
  • Charred Remains: Enemies killed by Jetblast or Firefist leave behind a pool of flames.
  • Detonation: Kills with Jetblast or Firefist cause enemies to detonate.

Class Modifiers

• Fire Safety I: Training focused on battle recovery and toughness.
  • Fire Safety II: Training focused on speed and toughness.
  • Fire Safety III: Training focused on battle recovery and speed.

Ability Modifiers

• Arson: Increases the duration of flames caused by Ignition, Burn a Path, and Charred Remains.
  • Gel Fuel: Increases the duration of the Napalm Grenade, Torrent Grenade, and Solar Flare.
  • Fire Cleanses: Kills with any ability have a chance to trigger health regeneration and drop an orb.

Attribute Modifier

• First Degree: Training focused on all attributes.
  • Second Degree: Training focused on maximum battle recovery.
  • Third Degree: Training focused on raw speed.

Ability Modifier

• Accelerant: After sprinting for a short time, your sprint speed greatly increases for a short time. Perk is boosted by Agility rating.
  • Comet: After sprinting for a short time, your melee can release a ranged blast of heat in front of you, knocking enemies back.
  • Heat Shield: After sprinting for a short time, gain a protective shield.

===

I've been meaning to make this, but this post inspired me to get around to it.
When thinking about the existing classes (for the Titan, specifically) I tried to think of a way that the third elemental class could distinguish its role, while supplementing the existing classes and feeling familiar to the character.

Strikers are an offense-heavy class, which specialize in assaulting enemy positions.
Defenders are a defense-heavy class, which specialize in defending their own positions.
For the Scorcher class, I wanted a mixture of both. One that could benefit from shaping the battlefield, turning an offense into a defense if needed. Ironically, I was greatly inspired by the ice-based Frost character from another game, which shifts the battlefield to turn encounters in its favor. The closest class to this is the Sunsinger, so I started with the Radiance Super as a template, requiring brains over brawn, but with elements of the Striker Titan, giving players the ability to focus on the brawn (Firefist, Feel the Burn, Heat Shield, etc.).

Scorcher is a class that can be either be quick or tanky, depending on build. Using Burn a Path, Arson, and Accelerant, for example, players can quickly cover ground, while ensuring that they won't be followed. This serves as a strong defense, as it can disorient enemy movement and deny them certain paths.

Contrast this with Firefist, Ignition, and Arson, which allows players to Blast an area with extremely powerful flamethrowers at the cost of speed.
This class is great against melee-based enemies (Knights, Thrall, BladeDancers, Defenders), but weak against ranged enemies, and enemies that can do large amounts of non-melee damage in a short time (Bosses, Strikers, Sunsingers, Gunslingers).

The important thing, for me, was to make a short-range class that could vary wildly depending on build, and wouldn't have an "ideal" set-up. With this in mind, I gave each node in a tier definite pros over cons, so people would be more inclined to have different nodes picked (even giving players incentive to look over at the Agility rating).

Thoughts? Suggestions? Preferred Build?

Solar Titan (concept)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 04:56 (3309 days ago) @ Korny
edited by CyberKN, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 05:28

1. Want. Immolation looks like the perfect counter to Arc-Blade.

2. So is Comet essentially just a Jet Blast charged by your sprinting?

Solar Titan (concept)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 05:05 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN

1. Want. Immolation looks like the perfect counter to Arc-Blade.

Also: Hop into Defender bubble, smack enemies out of Defender bubble, watch as teammates gun them down. Laugh.

2. So is Comet essentially just a Jet Blast charged by your sprinting?

Without any Jetblast perks, a narrower field, and it travels an extended range. Great for buying you space if you realize that the guy you're running at has a shotgun or is Blade Dancing... Also funny if you are running at B on Shores of Time and you send a group of enemies flying off the map (with this in mind, I don't think it should affect teammates, to avoid trolling).

A few more questions

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 05:25 (3309 days ago) @ Korny

3.How long does it take to kill an enemy Guardian with Firefist? At what range is it no longer effective?

4. Grenades. How is napalm different from the sunsinger's solar grenade? How long does Flare persist?

5.A more conspicuous, Flaming Blink would be nice to further level the playing field.

6. Jet Blast sounds Very situational. What does a typical use-case look like? What's the range and push distance, compared to scorch and solar wind?

A few more questions

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 06:01 (3309 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Korny, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 06:09

3.How long does it take to kill an enemy Guardian with Firefist? At what range is it no longer effective?

About the same amount of time as a Solar grenade... But maybe we could add some neat touches, such as L2 bringing your fists together to concentrate on a narrower field, doubling the killing speed per-target but slightly slowing your movement. Also, keep in mind that depending on perk, enemies could potentially burn even after running, or explode, which adds another element of damage to consider/balance.

As for range, I wanted to give it a decent range, in order to make up for the walking speed, but at the same time I didn't want them to be able to control an entire room, so maybe the range is equal to the diameter of a Solar grenade? What would you like?
Also, consider that you could potentially use your grenades to force enemy movement, such as a Flare making it difficult to judge your location, or using a Torrent to get them to move closer to you. Add Armamentarium to the mix...

4. Grenades. How is napalm different from the sunsinger's solar grenade? How long does Flare persist?

Hitting an enemy with it sets them ablaze (pretty much guaranteeing death, but giving enemies time to kill/weaken you), and the flames left behind, while not covering as much of an area as a Solar Grenade, can ignite enemies that touch them, so enemies can be kept at bay even after the grenade expires.

As for the duration of the Flare, I figured it could match the Spike Grenade (4 seconds), the Torrent Grenade could match the Trip Mine (10 seconds), and Napalm could match the Spike as well. The Gel Fuel perk could increase the Flare and Napalm to 7 seconds, and the Torrent to 17 seconds.

Torrent lasts a long time because I planned for it to be more of a distraction/decoy. The flames don't ignite enemies (but can hit multiple targets), have a short range, and it can be destroyed, but it also helps serve as a constant alert when enemies are within range (for the Inferno players).

5.A more conspicuous, Flaming Blink would be nice to further level the playing field.

I did want to add what I would call "Jump Jets", Allowing players to quickly thrust around Blink-style with elements of thrusters found in modern shooters, but figured that people wouldn't like me messing with the Titan jumps, which are identical among both existing subclasses.

This sounds like the Bounty Hunter from SWTOR

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, April 15, 2015, 10:50 (3309 days ago) @ Korny

If anyone ever played Star Wars the Old Republic

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread