DALLAS.BUNGIE.ORG 2015 RECAP (DBO)

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 02:57 (3293 days ago)

[image]

Better late than never.

I apologize for my delay, real world "things" and an addiction to Destiny has kept me from this write-up for the past three weeks!

What happens in Dallas...

...probably won't stay in Dallas. And that's a good thing! How else are we going to convince more people to come to our meet ups if no one shares their stories!? I'll keep it short and sweet because lets be honest, we all have more Destiny to play!

This was my first Bungie.org LAN/meet up, I had only weeks earlier met my first DBOer out in the wild (Shout out to the amazingly talented Leviathan!). I had, for better or worse agreed to carpool with the one and only Stabbim for six hours... and it was great! Mostly because I didn't have to drive through Dallas rush hour traffic!

We arrived to find our marvelous host Speedracer had begun setting up shop while Kermit was already addicted to the stuffed pretzels. Stabbim and I set up in the front room, allowing those with Playstations to group near each other. The four of us exchanged pleasantries while murdering aliens littered across our solar system. Late that night the party finally started with the arrival of Xenos after a 18+ hour drive. The next morning Ottermack* and Morpheus decided to show up ;) and join us in our quest to have a hell of a good time.

*Ottermack may have shown up Wednesday night as well... but I can't remember!

Thursday was mostly Destiny, and an extra special thanks to the PS crew for letting us XBOX dudes play with your fun exclusives! (I can't wait to get my own Monte Carlo!) We also enjoyed some authentic Cajun food, that I've forgotten the name of, thanks to Ottermack.

Friday we ventured out of our safety box known as the house and into the big city. We caught the best Texas BBQ for lunch then hit up Furious 7 for an afternoon movie. I'm not sure who all will admit it now, but some tears were shed at the end of that movie. (Hint: It wasn't Kermit, I think he napped through most of it!)

Friday night was Halo. Lots of Halo. A ODST Firefight race was held, championed by Morpheus and Stabbim. Sounds of our assault rifles rang out across the frozen tundra of Snowbound. While the beautiful roar of a jetpack told many a Spartan that death was near.** Morpheus may have a montage of that gameplay at some point.

Saturday was bittersweet. Did the day really need to end? We play some more Halo and Destiny. Our gracious host left us with two parting gifts, a game from an airplane hanger full of them, and a frosted Destiny glass, courtesy of Bungie. (Thanks Deej and Urk!) We began to part ways and I couldn't help but feel I had made the right choice in coming. I met six amazing guys and had the time of my life. We are, each of us on this forum, people with our own joys and pains; and sometimes I think we can lose sight of that here when we get passionate. Let's always remember to be respectful and kind to one another because this place is special. I can't wait to meet more of you in the future, but until then, see you star side!

**If you want to beat Xenos in Halo Reach, just use a Jetpack.

DALLAS.BUNGIE.ORG 2015 RECAP

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 03:37 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Great write-up! Thanks for doing it, plus making me sad that I didn't make it. :)

Well-edited video, too!

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 11:47 (3293 days ago) @ Leviathan

Great write-up! Thanks for doing it, plus making me sad that I didn't make it. :)

Don't feel sad! But seriously, we needed you for balanced Halo! No one approved of my dominating jet packing and armor locking.

Well-edited video, too!

Thanks! Next time I'll get more activities and less people eating/talking.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:59 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Thanks! Next time I'll get more activities and less people eating/talking.

What? That's what I want MORE of! :)

Director's Cut

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:23 (3293 days ago) @ ZackDark

Literally an hour of us eating while the siege of madrigal loops.

Just for you! :)

*single tear*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 15:02 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Director's Cut

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 04:05 (3292 days ago) @ breitzen

The music made the yogurt stirring REALLY dramatic.

I expected more board games!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 05:43 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Seriously, you guys had an infinite number at your fingertips... I'd be all over destroying friendships in that manner...

Thursday was mostly Destiny, and an extra special thanks to the PS crew for letting us XBOX dudes play with your fun exclusives! (I can't wait to get my own Monte Carlo!)

So much hubbub is made about Hawkmoon, but Monte Carlo is a great weapon in its own right. My most-used Auto Rifle, that's for sure (Use with a Bloom/Shield Warlock, become unstoppable).

We also enjoyed some authentic Cajun food, that I've forgotten the name of, thanks to Ottermack.

Wait, he can cook?

Friday we ventured out of our safety box known as the house and into the big city. We caught the best Texas BBQ for lunch then hit up Furious 7 for an afternoon movie. I'm not sure who all will admit it now, but some tears were shed at the end of that movie. (Hint: It wasn't Kermit, I think he napped through most of it!)

Probably saw all of the high octane action and said "amateurs" before falling asleep. There's a side of Kermit that we don't know...

Friday night was Halo. Lots of Halo. A ODST Firefight race was held, championed by Morpheus and Stabbim. Sounds of our assault rifles rang out across the frozen tundra of Snowbound. While the beautiful roar of a jetpack told many a Spartan that death was near.** Morpheus may have a montage of that gameplay at some point.

If only firefight was included in MCC ODST... That's my favorite part of any LAN...

Saturday was bittersweet. Did the day really need to end? We play some more Halo and Destiny. Our gracious host left us with two parting gifts, a game from an airplane hanger full of them, and a frosted Destiny glass, courtesy of Bungie. (Thanks Deej and Urk!) We began to part ways and I couldn't help but feel I had made the right choice in coming. I met six amazing guys and had the time of my life. We are, each of us on this forum, people with our own joys and pains; and sometimes I think we can lose sight of that here when we get passionate. Let's always remember to be respectful and kind to one another because this place is special. I can't wait to meet more of you in the future, but until then, see you star side!

I would have loved to go... But alas, looks like Sammy's gonna get to go hang out with DBOers long before I am. But real glad to hear that you guys had fun.

**If you want to beat Xenos in Halo Reach, just use a Jetpack.

Somebody's into video production, and they're not telling us...

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:27 (3293 days ago) @ Korny

Seriously, you guys had an infinite number at your fingertips... I'd be all over destroying friendships in that manner...

I think we only had one board game played. lol and it was when I was playing the PS exclusive strikes. Next time we'll need to set some time aside for table top shenanigans.

Thursday was mostly Destiny, and an extra special thanks to the PS crew for letting us XBOX dudes play with your fun exclusives! (I can't wait to get my own Monte Carlo!)

So much hubbub is made about Hawkmoon, but Monte Carlo is a great weapon in its own right. My most-used Auto Rifle, that's for sure (Use with a Bloom/Shield Warlock, become unstoppable).

We also enjoyed some authentic Cajun food, that I've forgotten the name of, thanks to Ottermack.

Wait, he can cook?

Haha! Well he can bring pre-cooked food and reheat it!

Probably saw all of the high octane action and said "amateurs" before falling asleep. There's a side of Kermit that we don't know...

If only firefight was included in MCC ODST... That's my favorite part of any LAN...

Agreed :(
We should have done more of it, firefight is such a fun challenge.

I would have loved to go... But alas, looks like Sammy's gonna get to go hang out with DBOers long before I am. But real glad to hear that you guys had fun.

I wish I had gotten to meet you and Sammy and Levi and Cody and everyone else who couldn't make it. :)

Somebody's into video production, and they're not telling us...

I am! And I'd love to do some more stuff for DBO. This LAN really taught me a lot on what I should be getting footage of. My next big project will hopefully be a short around the Last Word grimoire cards...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:42 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

I think we only had one board game played. lol and it was when I was playing the PS exclusive strikes. Next time we'll need to set some time aside for table top shenanigans.

We played another game or two Saturday after you and Josh left. I had a few other games that I totally meant to expose everyone to, but time is just such a limited resource at these things!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 10:47 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Awesome write-up and vid!

As for the montage...I don't really see it happening. I personally didn't get any good Destiny clips--I didn't play any Crucible that weekend. And literally nobody's sent me anything--Destiny, Halo or otherwise--except for Stabbim. So unless you guys want to see a 2 minute Halo: Reach dualtage between the two of us, I'm under-funded!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 10:59 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

I apologize for my delay, real world "things" and an addiction to Destiny has kept me from this write-up for the past three weeks!

three weeks... that's uh... that's too long if you ask me...

Glad to see you guys had fun, BOrg meetups are a special breed of fun and inappropriate. Wish I could have made it down there. Maybe you'll all get the chance to bang down my door in the near future. stay tuned...

Also, which one is speed? is he the George Harrison look a like?

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 11:22 (3293 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

three weeks... that's uh... that's too long if you ask me...

I knew you'd be disappointed in me! ;)

Glad to see you guys had fun, BOrg meetups are a special breed of fun and inappropriate. Wish I could have made it down there. Maybe you'll all get the chance to bang down my door in the near future. stay tuned...

:)

Also, which one is speed? is he the George Harrison look a like?

I probably should have labeled the photo! From left to right: breitzen, Ottermack, Morpheus, Xenos, Stabbim, Speedracer, Kermit.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 12:37 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

A HUGE Thank You again to everyone that came. I had a great time and don't really regret how we did anything -- only that more of you weren't able to come!

Big thanks to Brett again for taking the pictures and putting together this write-up!

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:09 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Awesome write-up! I really like the video! Makes me wish I could have gone. =)

Nothing like a good LAN to make you realize just how fun this all can be in person. There's something about sitting right next to people that really changes the experience.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:14 (3293 days ago) @ slycrel

Awesome write-up! I really like the video! Makes me wish I could have gone. =)

Nothing like a good LAN to make you realize just how fun this all can be in person. There's something about sitting right next to people that really changes the experience.

Absolutely. The first night, we were mostly just playing casual Destiny together while people showed up and set up their equipment; and I started to worry that we weren't doing anything "LAN-worthy" - we could have all just stayed home and played the same games with each other. Even though the rest of the weekend definitely had some LAN-worthy moments of playing system-link Halo together (and of course the great conversations over great food) - even those moments of just casually doing weekly strikes together in Destiny were made that much more special just because we were sitting next to each other while doing it.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 13:30 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

Super cool. Makes me dream of throwing/attending one sometime.

You should probably switch up that phone pocket.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 15:50 (3293 days ago) @ breitzen

- No text -

Yeah... Probably! lol

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 16:25 (3293 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

"But I don't have a phone..."

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 17:40 (3293 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

holy shit Dave Grohl came to the LAN?!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 22:28 (3290 days ago) @ breitzen

Sorry we missed it, y'all. Looked fun. :)

Thought Of A Funny Story...

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, April 24, 2015, 00:44 (3290 days ago) @ breitzen

I'll post this, then I'll come back with my assessment of the trip.

The day before I had left, Speedracer sent me an e-mail asking if I needed him to buy anything for the meals. I had just come home, ironically arms full of groceries, and my iPhone in hand. I had decided to use Siri's dictation feature to type the response to him. I said to the phone, "I'll be bringing them with me."

That loading circle appeared for a good 10 seconds, then didn't put the words down. I said it again, just as clearly. Yes, I'm aware that at this point, I could've just put the groceries down and typed it out by now, but the principle!

Anyway, the same thing. So I said it one more time, and the exact same circle, the same lack of results. Getting a little annoyed, I decided to pull an audible from an old playbook. So I put the groceries down, turned the dictating feature on and yelled right into the mouthpiece:

"I will fucking stab you, computer phone lady!!"

And swear to god, the whole thing typed right into Speed's e-mail. No errors, no loading--it even literally said 'fucking'.

I couldn't stop laughing for at least 10 minutes, and it still makes me laugh whenever I think about it.

So yeah, that happened, and it was fun.

I'll be coming back tomorrow to post my thoughts about this awesome experience.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread