I'm not trying to take over I swear... one more link

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 05, 2013, 17:34 (4051 days ago)

Critical Path Project has 4 interviews with Joe Staten about his and Bungie's design philosophies for games. Short and interesting.

I'm not trying to take over I swear... one more link

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, April 05, 2013, 17:40 (4051 days ago) @ Xenos

Critical Path Project has 4 interviews with Joe Staten about his and Bungie's design philosophies for games. Short and interesting.

Yeah, those have been up for quite a while, but they certainly start to take on new meaning when you watch them in the context of what little we know of Destiny. Would definitely recommend these to anyone who hasn't seen them before.

“I don't want to play a game that makes me cry!”

by kapowaz, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 02:22 (4050 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by kapowaz, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 02:32

Curious. It's almost as if it was in answer to a question about that moment that a lot of gamers of my generation probably would say elicited that type of reaction: Aeris’ death in Final Fantasy VII (coincidental aside: I'm meeting the guy who made this in an hour, potentially to buy it — I'm a bad person).

I think Joe shows a kind of reticence towards certain types of emotion that I think reflects the gender balance in game production today. My girlfriend reads a lot of books, and a number of them have included incredibly poignant, emotional and (dare I say) tear-jerking moments — I have to take her word for it as I've not read them yet myself, but anyone who's read The Book Thief will doubtless be able to corroborate this. As with Aeris’ death, did these moments detract from the experience of the story, or did they help paint a picture with a wider range of emotions? I'm wondering if a male-dominated videogame industry is stopping us from exploring this kind of emotion.

Roger Ebert (in)famously claimed that games weren't capable of being considered art, and whilst naturally I disagree, it's not hard to see what he's driving at so long as we're intentionally restricting the medium from exploring the full gamut of Human sociological experience. The best stories speak to as many people on as many levels as they can. If a videogame can succeed in invoking an emotional response that makes me want to cry then I say bravo — that's a rare thing indeed, and it's not something developers should seek to avoid.

by Jillybean, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 06:35 (4050 days ago) @ kapowaz

Interesting idea - do male gamers shy away from emotional investment? I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.

I personally love that kind of emotional investment. But not all the time. Take the new Assassin's Creed game. Now I adored Ezio and if I was going to leave my video game husband Kaidan for anyone, it would probably be Ezio. But it's surprising how little endurance Ezio has. His story is wrapped up in one game and his character becomes pretty stagnant after that. The games start piling on different kinds of mechanics, letting you ride ponies in Roma, throw bombs in Istanbul, none of it makes Ezio any more interesting. He's still a charming, somewhat vacant young man who has found his vengeance and now putters around trying to . . . what, exactly?

In AC3, we get two new characters. Haytham (incidentally, definitely a roll in the hay) and Connor (incidentally, definitely not). Now I liked the Haytham portions of the game but they didn't grab me. I loved playing as Connor. I loved how insecure he is, how he needs protecting. He's a warrior, but he's still a character who misses his mother. With Connor I felt maternal. When he's in the prison, I wanted to help him, when he loses everything, I feel incredibly sorry for him and guilty that I couldn't protect him from that.

I mentioned this on Kotaku at one point and one commenter said no male gamer wants to protect anything - well wasn't the exact reasoning for Lara Croft's attempted rape scene? That it would inspire the player to protect Lara? I have my own issues with that, but you can't deny the creators were trying to inspire an emotional investment.

I think there is a problem with all media types being too invested in the white middle class male. They're a powerful buying force for many reasons. Why do companies take such risks with things like online DRM, which has backfired horribly with Sim City and EA has been giving away free games to compensate, but they won't take a risk with expanding some emotional horizons?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:10 (4050 days ago) @ Jillybean

Honestly, from watching that one I mainly don't think he got his point across quite the way he wanted to. What I think he probably meant was "Make a game that will make people laugh and cheer and if you end up making them sad from time to time that's cool too but it's not our goal when we start." Obviously he didn't mean no sad emotional moments, just look at the deaths and tragedies in the 5 Halo games they made.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:26 (4050 days ago) @ Jillybean

I think there is a problem with all media types being too invested in the white middle class male.

In video games and action movies maybe, but in much of the media they are the butt of jokes.

Soap Box Moment

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:27 (4050 days ago) @ Jillybean

Interesting idea - do male gamers shy away from emotional investment? I feel like there's a joke in there somewhere.

Being a guy gamer, my favorite games, or any other form of storytelling, are those that move me to be emotionally invested while providing me with awesomeness, whether that be explosions or fighting or intelligent storytelling or space tigers. Those are the games/books/movies that really stick with me and that I end up treasuring.

I mentioned this on Kotaku at one point and one commenter said no male gamer wants to protect anything....

If that is really how that guy feels, he hasn't reached any sort of manly maturity. IMO, being a protector is essential to being a man, or an adult for that matter. Just ask any good parent.
That the gaming community is full of immature man-boys is no secret. But they aren't the whole population of male gamers. One need only look at the forum here, like Mid7night's new dad status, or see the awesome things that Bungie does for charity, to realize that.

+1/Up-vote/Like

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:45 (4050 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

These are excellent points.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:18 (4050 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Soap Box Moment

by Jillybean, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 06:13 (4049 days ago) @ Mr Daax

That the gaming community is full of immature man-boys is no secret. But they aren't the whole population of male gamers. One need only look at the forum here, like Mid7night's new dad status, or see the awesome things that Bungie does for charity, to realize that.

I fully agree that they aren't the whole population, but this forum isn't representative of gaming as a whole and, unfortunately, Bungie are not representative of most producers, and even more unfortunately, the big publishers don't seem to realise this.

So...we're like

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 07:32 (4049 days ago) @ Jillybean

the white tigers of the gaming community?

DBO: We're the white tigers

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 07, 2013, 07:48 (4049 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

White elephants maybe

by Jillybean, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 09:45 (4049 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Did you just call me fat?!?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 13:53 (4049 days ago) @ Jillybean

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 18:17 (4050 days ago) @ Jillybean

Why do companies take such risks with things like online DRM, which has backfired horribly with Sim City and EA has been giving away free games to compensate, but they won't take a risk with expanding some emotional horizons?

This is easy. Because you don't want them to.

Don't believe me? Conventional wisdom says it's the publishers who are adverse to taking risks, and if indie games just had funding then all would be well. Okay, so look at kickstarter. Get your game funded on kickstarter, and you can do anything you want.

So where are all the amazing, emotional innovative games coming from kickstarter that are being heaped with money from fans demanding quality emotional engagement? Oh there are none? What's getting funded? RETRO GAMES.

You all had your chance, but chose to fund games that not only do not innovate, but actually go backward.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 20:25 (4050 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is easy. Because you don't want them to.

Don't believe me? Conventional wisdom says it's the publishers who are adverse to taking risks, and if indie games just had funding then all would be well. Okay, so look at kickstarter. Get your game funded on kickstarter, and you can do anything you want.

So where are all the amazing, emotional innovative games coming from kickstarter that are being heaped with money from fans demanding quality emotional engagement? Oh there are none? What's getting funded? RETRO GAMES.

You all had your chance, but chose to fund games that not only do not innovate, but actually go backward.

Are we looking at different Kickstarters? I see plenty of original games on Kickstarter, and have contributed to as many as I believe look worthwhile as I can. Some of them are retro in style but they are innovative in gameplay, story, or sometimes even controls. This is mostly because they are still indie studios that they have retro looks, not because they don't have either skills necessarily.

[This reply is below your display threshold]

by kapowaz, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 03:04 (4049 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 19:14 (4050 days ago) @ Jillybean

I mentioned this on Kotaku at one point and one commenter said no male gamer wants to protect anything

Whoever said this should not have kids until his position is radically reconsidered.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:23 (4050 days ago) @ kapowaz

I don't play Final Fantasy, so I have no idea what you're talking about, and that's probably a good thing.

He may be addressing recent action games (including BioShock Infinite I hear) that seem to have this as a goal. It worked for me, with Gears 3 and Halo 4, but it's telling at I didn't cry during the game. It was during a cutscene. Staten seems to be focusing on emotions that can spring from doing something in the game world.

Cue Cody Miller.

by kapowaz, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:33 (4050 days ago) @ Kermit

I don't play Final Fantasy, so I have no idea what you're talking about, and that's probably a good thing.

It's a good thing because now you can go play it and enjoy one of the medium's best ever games. Go on. I'll be here when you get back.

but you spoilt it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 07:57 (4049 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

but you spoilt it

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 07, 2013, 08:01 (4049 days ago) @ Kermit

But you don't know when, where or how it happens, do you?

I believe you're still fit to be impacted by it.

but you spoilt it

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 08:58 (4049 days ago) @ ZackDark

But you don't know when, where or how it happens, do you?

I believe you're still fit to be impacted by it.

I mean no offense, but everybody can't like everything, and life is short. What I've seen of FF doesn't appeal to me. I own games I'm interested in that I haven't started. I've spent weeks trying to finish BioShock, the first game I bought for the 360 in 2007. Diving into a franchise with umpteen installments doesn't interest me. I've got a job to keep, and family and friend relationships to maintain. I also like books and movies and, on occasion, sunshine.

What is this sunshine you speak of?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 09:25 (4049 days ago) @ Kermit

I am right there with you, sir :)

It's ok. I agree.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, April 07, 2013, 09:58 (4049 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 15:43 (4050 days ago) @ kapowaz

Like most here, I'm of the conviction that the best stories are the ones that successfully employ as many emotional connections as possible. I read a lot of books, and I play a lot of games, and in both mediums I appreciate a well executed heart-string pull. Whether it's (spoilers) Gavroche getting shot in Les Mis, or Eli's death in Half-Life 2, Episode 2, there are distinct moments that I can recall to mind having an emotional attachment to fictional characters. Attachments that transcended the simplistic "This guy did something cool! Radical!" connection that I seem to develope with any bro in power armor.

It's okay if Bungie doesn't want to try for a searingly deep and heart-felt emotional plot line in Destiny. After all, they've repeatedly stated that they're making an ACTION game, and to be a good action game you don't always need to have tears (though the ending of Halo 3 seemed to pull it off well (DOUBLE ASIDE: For me Halo 3's Chief/Cortana moments were WAY harder hitting than Halo 4's. I blame the writing.)).

If it's all the same though, I personally would prefer having both massive explosion high-fives AND serious story-driven sob-fests. But that's the opinion of one gamer.

Yes!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:02 (4050 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

If it's all the same though, I personally would prefer having both massive explosion high-fives AND serious story-driven sob-fests. But that's the opinion of one gamer.

Make that 2

Massive Explosion High-Five!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:05 (4050 days ago) @ Mr Daax

[image]

This is too awesome for words

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 16:45 (4050 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

- No text -

Listen to what he actually said...

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 19:12 (4050 days ago) @ kapowaz

His point wasn't that he doesn't think games can make people cry: he thinks games can elicit a range of emotion that other mediums maybe can't, or games can do those emotions better than other mediums can. So rather than trying to imitate what books and film do emotionally, he wants to concentrate on what games are good at more naturally.

Too late, Joe. "Send me out... with a bang." :'(

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, April 06, 2013, 21:02 (4050 days ago) @ kapowaz

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 15:25 (4022 days ago) @ kapowaz

Curious. It's almost as if it was in answer to a question about that moment that a lot of gamers of my generation probably would say elicited that type of reaction: Aeris’ death in Final Fantasy VII (coincidental aside: I'm meeting the guy who made this in an hour, potentially to buy it — I'm a bad person).

I think Joe shows a kind of reticence towards certain types of emotion that I think reflects the gender balance in game production today. My girlfriend reads a lot of books, and a number of them have included incredibly poignant, emotional and (dare I say) tear-jerking moments — I have to take her word for it as I've not read them yet myself, but anyone who's read The Book Thief will doubtless be able to corroborate this. As with Aeris’ death, did these moments detract from the experience of the story, or did they help paint a picture with a wider range of emotions? I'm wondering if a male-dominated videogame industry is stopping us from exploring this kind of emotion.

What is this and why are you comfortable putting it in this post? It looks like you're saying guys can't appreciate sad things or sad moments in stories, or that "normal" guys can't, which seems weird next to you talking about this lack of balance in the industry. It's so jarring it almost seems like a joke or a troll.
For the record, there probably is some genetic male-female difference in typical and average emotions and what's appreciated, but I don't think that completely or even mostly accounts for this, and I generally like my entertainment to not be sad (very rarely do I like it like that, in fact), but that's me.
super late, I know, but I think this is a worthwhile conversation (not just about this comment, the whole thread)

I don't want to play a game that's sad.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 16:07 (4022 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I don't really like sad moments, either. I would most certainly chock this up to being myself, however, and not gender differences. I'm the kind of person who prefers happy things to happen in my media. Sad events most likely won't drive me away from something unless the tone of the work as a whole is depressing, though. But the presence of such things is in no way a draw for me.

This link made me happy

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 00:55 (4049 days ago) @ Xenos

There was some pretty good stuff in that interview. As in, hints that someone at Bungie actually gets it.

I thought you'd like it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, April 07, 2013, 07:55 (4049 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread