Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, April 26, 2013, 17:24 (4017 days ago)

Posted, quite a bit of redacted info about skyboxes

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, April 26, 2013, 18:19 (4017 days ago) @ Xenos

A good number of interesting bits today:

Destiny to be more fun when you’re playing with your friends. It’s incredibly important to us that seasoned Vanguards will find plenty of fun and rewarding things to do with other players who might not be able to commit the same amount of time to Destiny, or who may be just starting out on their adventures.

Bolding mine. Why is Vanguards capitalized? Subclass? High level player rank? Accidental push of the shift key?

Anything is possible, but when those Cabal Centurions charge at you through the sands of Mars, the crimson dunes trembling under their deafening footfalls, we doubt the emotion that you’ll be feeling will be sympathy.

Or perhaps you were referring to the Awoken, and in that case we definitely think you’ll share some common ground with them.

We get a Cabal enemy type who apparently have feet. But we also learn that the Awoken are in fact aliens. I don't know about yous guys, but I don't recall any information pegging the Awoken as not human. I was sorta operating under the impression they were humans supercharged by the Traveler or something.

One would think that the last Human city on an Earth ravaged by an ancient war would be distrustful of Aliens… But Awoken can serve as protectors of said city. Fascinating.

Only if you change your name to Osiris. Or, Uncredited Robot #7.

Character name. Not much information, but I'll take what we can get.

It’s great when walls don’t have collision detection, and a stray projectile nails you from another area.
Thomas Wiley, Auto BVT Tester

This interests me. How big is Destiny? How far away was he hit from? Or was he just in a small maze like area and this isn't proof of some awesome largeness?

Awoken

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, April 26, 2013, 18:27 (4017 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Or perhaps you were referring to the Awoken, and in that case we definitely think you’ll share some common ground with them.

We get a Cabal enemy type who apparently have feet. But we also learn that the Awoken are in fact aliens. I don't know about yous guys, but I don't recall any information pegging the Awoken as not human. I was sorta operating under the impression they were humans supercharged by the Traveler or something.

One would think that the last Human city on an Earth ravaged by an ancient war would be distrustful of Aliens… But Awoken can serve as protectors of said city. Fascinating.

I had the same thought re: the Awoken! Very cool, and I'm curious about the story-reason why they look human when the other (enemy) aliens do not.

Awoken

by zumphry ⌂ @, Friday, April 26, 2013, 19:10 (4017 days ago) @ Beorn

I had the same thought re: the Awoken! Very cool, and I'm curious about the story-reason why they look human when the other (enemy) aliens do not.

Yeah, I also thought they were "awoken" (hurr) by The Traveler, but maybe they've still been influenced by The Traveler (or whatever/whomever made The Traveler Not-Jjaro with Capes) on another planet ravaged like Earth (or something), so they're helping us out?

And maybe some sort of Mass Effect/Asari/sort sci-fi cliche "humans can't really comprehend what we look like because their faces melt off when they look at us, so we decided to look like them because you wouldn't believe how bad stepping in human face was" for why they look human? Though, "common ground" doesn't necessarily rule out them being human, does it? And why does every sentence I write end with question marks?

But, hey, not to just be all crackball, here's some new wallpapers on b.net:

[image]
City Wall (wallpaper version of pic in Mail Sack)

[image]
Hunter

Awoken

by GrandmasterNinja, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:45 (4015 days ago) @ Beorn

Something I noticed is that each revealed playable race has an "evil' enemy counterpart.

Awoken and Fallen
Exo and Vex
Human and ???(Glimmer?)

Cabal and Hive I have no idea how they'd fit into my theory, but that's what I think. Maybe whatever is the "evil" counterpart of Humans is the main antagonist in Destiny.

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Saturday, April 27, 2013, 01:19 (4017 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I found myself in a room that I was obviously not meant to be in, full of enemies more powerful than I’d ever seen. They killed me over and over until I had to disconnect to escape from their terrifying clutches

I'd add this as another interesting bit as its a good indication that respawning will probably be pretty traditional, which obviously has a big impact on gameplay.

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by GrandmasterNinja, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:49 (4015 days ago) @ Mr Danger

I found myself in a room that I was obviously not meant to be in, full of enemies more powerful than I’d ever seen. They killed me over and over until I had to disconnect to escape from their terrifying clutches

I'd add this as another interesting bit as its a good indication that respawning will probably be pretty traditional, which obviously has a big impact on gameplay.

If you read what DeeJ said earlier, he states that all but the suicide at the end (lol) were from bugs/glitches

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Thursday, May 02, 2013, 03:56 (4012 days ago) @ GrandmasterNinja

If you read what DeeJ said earlier, he states that all but the suicide at the end (lol) were from bugs/glitches

I think though that the fact he was in that room and the high levels of the enemies were the glitch/bug rather than the respawning in general. Possibly respwaning in the same room again and again was the glitch but It still seems that respawning like you would get in halo or borderlands etc. on co-op will be how death works.

I just wonder if it is confirmed to be like that eventually if there will be a story explanation for respawning, i.e. it the travellers powers/magic bringing you back or if it will just bea pure gameplay thing that is otherwise ignored in the story.

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 20:56 (4015 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'd go out on a limb to say there's probably some kind of relation to the Osiris faction there (the yellow eye).

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 10:41 (4005 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I'd go out on a limb to say there's probably some kind of relation to the Osiris faction there (the yellow eye).

I thought that made it pretty clear Osiris isn't a faction, it's a person. I don't think any of the associations between names (of groups or individuals) and logos have been confirmed.
Going out on a limb myself, I'll take a wild guess that Osiris is another AI. The other one we know about is Charlemagne, whose namesake is a historical figure but whose actual life and actions are shrouded in legends. There's a theory that Osiris (from ancient Egyptian mythology), who all of the pharaohs claimed direct lineage from, was based on an actual Egyptian king, but then there's a theory like that for every mythic figure.
Wasn't the eye more of a symbol of Horus anyway?

Mailsack April 26, 2013

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, May 17, 2013, 00:17 (3997 days ago) @ General Vagueness

I thought that made it pretty clear Osiris isn't a faction, it's a person. I don't think any of the associations between names (of groups or individuals) and logos have been confirmed.
Going out on a limb myself, I'll take a wild guess that Osiris is another AI. The other one we know about is Charlemagne, whose namesake is a historical figure but whose actual life and actions are shrouded in legends. There's a theory that Osiris (from ancient Egyptian mythology), who all of the pharaohs claimed direct lineage from, was based on an actual Egyptian king, but then there's a theory like that for every mythic figure.
Wasn't the eye more of a symbol of Horus anyway?

True. I guess we don't really know what the hell it is yet. I think it's safe to assume New Monarchy and Dead Orbit are some kind of factions though since we've seen their logos waving on flags in the concept art. Also, I seem to recall spotting an FOTC logo on a rifle from one of the renders or videos.

Seven Seraphs hasn't been mentioned in a while.

They answered my question!

by GrandmasterNinja, Sunday, April 28, 2013, 21:34 (4015 days ago) @ Xenos

They answed my question! I was hoping they'd spill some beans, buuuut...they talked about glitches lol.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread