Mailsack May 3, 2013

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 03, 2013, 15:17 (4020 days ago)

Mailsack is posted!

Mailsack May 3, 2013

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 01:47 (4019 days ago) @ Xenos

When I was hired, I’d never done User Interface for a game before. I got recruited to do the UI for Halo, so I built it to the best of my knowledge, learning as I went along. One day, Jason Jones comes up to me and says, “Dave! You’re killing me!” I’m all, “What’d I do?” Apparently, they found out why the game took a major framerate dive every time you zoomed in the pistol. It was because I was slapping up a texture to cover the whole screen. Very bad, and very, very naïve of me.
David Candland, Senior Artist

Can anyone explain why this is bad? I'm curious what the solution was but I don't know squat about game design.

Explanation.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 07:31 (4019 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

When I was hired, I’d never done User Interface for a game before. I got recruited to do the UI for Halo, so I built it to the best of my knowledge, learning as I went along. One day, Jason Jones comes up to me and says, “Dave! You’re killing me!” I’m all, “What’d I do?” Apparently, they found out why the game took a major framerate dive every time you zoomed in the pistol. It was because I was slapping up a texture to cover the whole screen. Very bad, and very, very naïve of me.
David Candland, Senior Artist

Can anyone explain why this is bad? I'm curious what the solution was but I don't know squat about game design.

https://twitter.com/drcandland/status/330688546295910400

"Lol, just read @bungie mail sack. Looks like an edit cut the important part. We do this all the time but the [texture bitmap] in question was ENORMOUS."

- David Candland
‏@drcandland

Explanation.

by Miguel Chavez, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 08:15 (4019 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

https://twitter.com/drcandland/status/330688546295910400

"Lol, just read @bungie mail sack. Looks like an edit cut the important part. We do this all the time but the [texture bitmap] in question was ENORMOUS."

- David Candland
‏@drcandland

It was actually only a 2kb file. But it was an EPS file with a layer mask that was run through a ps2pdf script to create a 640x480 GIF each and everytime you zoomed in w/ the pistol. :)

- M

Mailsack May 3, 2013

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 04, 2013, 08:34 (4019 days ago) @ Xenos

It's cool learning about the awesome employees, like Damian Frank (the happy Viking) and Steve Burnaroos (the Bungie MacGayver.) Not much Destiny tidbits, other than that there are cliffs to drive off?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread