Lots of Taken King stuff up on Bungie.net (Destiny)

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:21 (3230 days ago)

https://www.bungie.net/en/pub/thetakenking

Mmmm, that Sunbreaker Titan. Hell yes.

Edit: With awesome Penny-Arcade comics! Go check this stuff out! :D

Lots of Taken King stuff up on Bungie.net

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:36 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

Beauty of them to collaborate with the folks at PA, since they did that little bit of Ghost/Guardian story ruminating months ago.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/12/12/fan-fiction

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:42 (3230 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Yeah, I loved what they did with that. It was a nifty surprise scrolling down after I originally posted to see comics for each class. Fantastic work!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:49 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

Welp, looks like I'm going to have a buy another copy of Destiny to get all the things. The collector's edition has some goodies.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:50 (3230 days ago) @ Kermit

Welp, looks like I'm going to have a buy another copy of Destiny to get all the things. The collector's edition has some goodies.

Slightly ticked about a new collectors edition (why must I like physical things?)

Wait, what?!

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:54 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

They announced a new collector's edition for a game that's already been out for over half a year?

Seriously?!

Seriously!

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:56 (3230 days ago) @ car15

It's gonna be so much fun around here with you around again. Seriously!

To be fair

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:02 (3230 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

I'm not super hyped by the lack of options. Why is there no Collector's Edition for those who already own Destiny, HoW and TDB? I just want the nice things, I don't really need the extra copy of the game.

Oh right, because Activision.

To be fair

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:06 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'm not super hyped by the lack of options. Why is there no Collector's Edition for those who already own Destiny, HoW and TDB? I just want the nice things, I don't really need the extra copy of the game.

Well... it is a game publisher so it might be kind of strange to leave out the 'game' part. :) Seems decently priced in my opinion for all that stuff.

When I got the Legendary Edition of Halo 3, I had to get the hardback book that came with the Heroic Edition off eBay for ten bucks. I'm going to presume you'll be able to get your hands on some of this stuff with that sort of option.

To be fair

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:08 (3230 days ago) @ Leviathan

It would still contain TTK, obviously. Im not suggesting they go into the paraphernalia/replica strange coin business.

Would just be nice as an option.

The crazy part is the digital version is same price

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:21 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

Or am I still having web site problems?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's problems with the website.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:36 (3230 days ago) @ Vortech

Notice the highlighted version never changes from Collector's Edition, and it doesn't tell you the details of the Digital Collector's Edition.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:50 (3230 days ago) @ Xenos

Well, the info did change for me, but clearly the web site is having iss-ues.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:44 (3230 days ago) @ Vortech

Yeah its changing for me now. I'm pretty surprised the digital edition is also $80, that's the only price point for me that seems out of line with the rest.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:49 (3229 days ago) @ Xenos

Upon further reflection, I don't think it's that bad. Not for me at least. I think this will be as good a time as any to transition to Xbox One and I was going to have to rebuy the game anyway. Might as well spend the $20 and get Cayde-6's copy of Treasure Island, a Strange Coin (then I'll just need 22 more to buy a weapon!) and whatever else is in there. Obviously, the deal won't be so good for people already on current gen...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:50 (3229 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Upon further reflection, I don't think it's that bad. Not for me at least. I think this will be as good a time as any to transition to Xbox One and I was going to have to rebuy the game anyway. Might as well spend the $20 and get Cayde-6's copy of Treasure Island, a Strange Coin (then I'll just need 22 more to buy a weapon!) and whatever else is in there. Obviously, the deal won't be so good for people already on current gen...

Oh I think the physical one is priced fine, I'm just surprised the digital one isn't any cheaper.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:52 (3229 days ago) @ Xenos

Oh wow... I thought the digital was $60 also! That stinks if you can't get the physical edition for some reason...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 13:19 (3228 days ago) @ Xenos

Oh I think the physical one is priced fine, I'm just surprised the digital one isn't any cheaper.

I generally think the pricing for Destiny content has been fair. This, however, is B.S.

Excited for you to transition to the xbone!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:23 (3227 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I need more 360 peeps to switch over to the xbone.

To be fair

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:21 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

It would still contain TTK, obviously. Im not suggesting they go into the paraphernalia/replica strange coin business.

Would just be nice as an option.

That would be nice, of course. :) But with how much cheaper the core Destiny game has gotten and will continue to get (the PS4 copy is $20 bucks right now on Amazon), I wonder how much of the Collector's Edition pricetag is actually on account of all the physical extras? Essentially, a copy of the core game could be 'extra' here.

Let's not use that "F" word... ;)

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:05 (3230 days ago) @ someotherguy

I'm bummed that they offer the digital-download version, and bill it as the one that is supposed to be for their "most loyal fans", and yet that purchase includes the LEAST amount of "bonus" digital content. Oh, and that "exclusive" Year-1 emblem? Not so exclusive after all:

*TO BE ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE THE VIP REWARDS, PLAYERS WILL NEED TO HAVE AT LEAST ONE LIGHT LEVEL 30 CHARACTER OR OWN BOTH EXPANSION I AND EXPANSION II ON OR BEFORE 08/31/15 AND PURCHASE AND PLAY THE TAKEN KING ON OR BEFORE 02/01/16. VIP REWARDS APPLICABLE FOR ANY ELIGIBLE PURCHASE OF DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING, DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING – LEGENDARY EDITION, AND DESTINY: THE TAKEN KING – COLLECTOR’S EDITION (DIGITAL OR PHYSICAL).

So you don't actually have to buy the 'special' Digital Download version to get those 3 "VIP Rewards", but you DO have to buy the $80 Collector's edition if you want the bonus dance-moves, 3 shaders and 3 XP-boosting class items. :-\

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:08 (3230 days ago) @ Mid7night

Shoot, Destiny never gave me the Founder's emblem thing when it was supposed to, and I was playing that game as of midnight PT on day one of launch. I'd much rather have that one than the one year anniversary thing. Just saying.

by Mid7night ⌂ @, Rocket BSCHSHCSHSHCCHGGH!!!!!!, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:16 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

Shoot, Destiny never gave me the Founder's emblem thing when it was supposed to, and I was playing that game as of midnight PT on day one of launch. I'd much rather have that one than the one year anniversary thing. Just saying.

I'd rather have the XP-boosting class items, but not so much that I'm not gonna RE-BUY everything. DigD'load will have to be good enough.

I've got most the emblems... is it worth an extra $40? :-/

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:55 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

Shield of Mythics (Legends & Heroes), Founders Seal, Sign of the Founders, Sign of the Elders, The Inner Chamber.

Missing Opposing Will, Song of the Spheres, & a few others...

I still don't have my Inner Circle :(

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:01 (3229 days ago) @ Avateur

Or whatever it's called.

*Exotic* Class Items... That I "can't" use

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:48 (3229 days ago) @ Mid7night

Because Factions. Please Bungie, let me sign up with a faction and just get bonus Rep from class Items.

Side note: I wonder if these will count as your one exotic armour piece? Double XP but no unique perks sounds like a cool tradeoff.

Seriously!

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:37 (3230 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

Thanks, Miguel. It was necessary and mature of you to say that.

Just seems ridiculous to me to offer a collector's edition for a game that was released in September of last year. Why wait until now to do that? It's double dipping and it stinks of Activision cash grab business tactics.

I know that many people here will disagree about that, but there's no need to make it personal.

Seriously!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:20 (3230 days ago) @ car15

Just seems ridiculous to me to offer a collector's edition for a game that was released in September of last year. Why wait until now to do that? It's double dipping and it stinks of Activision cash grab business tactics.

I know that many people here will disagree about that, but there's no need to make it personal.

You didn't do it in this specific case, but throwing a plethora of random cynicism and negative jabs around isn't going to get you mature responses. Jumping in and telling excited people to not get excited isn't going to get you quality responses either.

When you hang around on a forum continually hating on the game it's concerned with for a long period of time, you create an inaccurate caricature of yourself to others so that even when you do write fine posts, your tones are easily mistaken and your content easily overlooked. Mix things up, watch your hyperbole and understand the way your impressions are being read and you'll get a better dialogue going. :)

Seriously!

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:47 (3230 days ago) @ Leviathan

Have you taken a look at HBO recently?

Seriously!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:50 (3230 days ago) @ car15

Have you taken a look at HBO recently?

Nope. Didn't even know you posted there. Going entirely by my observations on this forum. It's just my two cents, you can ignore it if you want to.

Seriously!

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:00 (3230 days ago) @ Leviathan

I appreciate your civility, and I never ignore what other people have to say. You made some valid points and, although I don't think I should have to rein in my cynicism, I should try to balance it out with the positive things that I have to say, which are quite abundant.

Seriously!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:40 (3230 days ago) @ car15

I appreciate your civility, and I never ignore what other people have to say. You made some valid points and, although I don't think I should have to rein in my cynicism, I should try to balance it out with the positive things that I have to say, which are quite abundant.

Sounds good. :)

When I say 'cynicism' I mean pessimism without cause or use, in reference to our exchange in the other thread. From my point of view it was like having a good cup of tea (seeing the Destiny trailer on Twitter) and then walking to my car (DBO forum) while I'm humming and excited about the day (The Taken King). Then someone randomly drives by and yells out their window, "Don't get your hopes up!!!" :)

My mood is zapped a bit and it doesn't give anybody any constructive criticism. And as soon as I shake it off and say, "Naw, everything's cool, the tea's still hot", the car drives back by and yells something again.

(...And I swear to god I just realized your username is car15 and I'm using a car to stand in for you, hah. That was not intentional! :D)

Anyway, this probably isn't what you intended when you wrote those little posts (and this long analogy is making a bigger deal out of them then they were - sorry, I'm just terrible at explaining myself without rambles and tangents, ahem...), but that's the kind of posts I call 'cynical' and peeve me. Your ultimate post gave me a more balanced view, more to work with, and where you're coming from. If that had been your first response, the analogy would have been something like: then a car came by, stopped, and the driver said, "It rained yesterday so it may rain today, you may need an umbrella, I'm bringing mine." Then I could have just shrugged or have said "I'm cool, I got a good feeling about this." Then we might realize we both like Futurama and have a good time, whether it rains or not! :)

Seriously!

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:06 (3229 days ago) @ car15

I've seen your like in many forms over the last two decades or so. What is always unique is that you never change. So why bother to pretend otherwise? You bring nothing new to the table.

Who's forcing you to buy that? Oh, that's right. No one.

Dude, that's *my* super… You all hide behind anonymity and fake personas… either good or bad. Try to make it all analytical and 'just my opinion' bullshit… I yank you back to your 'person' attached to your 'words' You want to 'wake from your slumber' after all these months to bring your negative shit back to the forum? That's fine, and my interest in the forum here is like an ebb and flow, but you happened to drop when my interest here is high, so take what you get. i'll leave it to Claude and Levi to bring reasoned discourse when talking to numbskulls like you, but people who really know me know that I'm the nicest guy in the world, unless I think you're being an "unsubstantiated" dick, and then you get my dander up. It's the one thing that annoys me to no end.

Wow

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 16:35 (3229 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

- No text -

Wow

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:43 (3229 days ago) @ car15

Yes, wow. Except I don't think Mig's response is undeserved. You were telling people not to get their hopes up for Saturn at the same time that official information was rolling out including info saying that Oryx's dreadnaught, which we would board, will be located at Saturn. Skepticism and criticism about Destiny is fine, heck it's well deserved at this point, but you were poking at people without even having your information straight. That's not gonna make people all that happy with you, you know?

I did think you later post explaining what you thought was much better. It'd be great to see more of that from you and less jumping the gun taunts posted before all the facts are known. :)

Wow

by car15, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 21:00 (3228 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I got the impression that people were actually expecting to visit Saturn itself, or perhaps one of its moons, which is never going to happen.

A dreadnought in orbit of Saturn =/= Saturn.

Wow

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 21:14 (3228 days ago) @ car15

I got the impression that people were actually expecting to visit Saturn itself, or perhaps one of its moons, which is never going to happen.

I expected to visit ships around Saturn (concept art). Perhaps one of its moons. Not Saturn itself. Why not Saturn itself? It's a gas giant, you'd just sink.

Wow

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 16:03 (3227 days ago) @ dogcow

Why not Saturn itself? It's a gas giant, you'd just sink.

You take your logic and sensible thinking and GET OUT OF HERE ;p

Wow

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 16:10 (3227 days ago) @ dogcow

I expected to visit ships around Saturn (concept art). Perhaps one of its moons. Not Saturn itself. Why not Saturn itself? It's a gas giant, you'd just sink.

Well, in Halo 2 you had a facility that was inside the atmosphere of Threshold. Something like a flying or floating colony / building could be doable, but who are we kidding? You'd never get the amazing view of the rings. Better off on a ship or a moon. Best yet, Titan!

Wow

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 21:33 (3228 days ago) @ car15

[image]

Saturn is a big ball of gas with rings. It's not like you can stand on it. Looks like Oryx's ship will be within those rings. Not sure how much closer Bungie could put us than that! (Interestingly, you can see the wrecks of other ships there. Is that a Ketch front and center?! I wonder if we'll see any Human warships since the Titan Mark "Spirit of Saturn" says: "A ceremonial badge worn by Titans in memory of the lost First Fleet.")

[image]
Oh, it also looks like we're going to Mercury for reals this time instead of just the one multiplayer map.

Wow

by car15, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 22:09 (3228 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Saturn is a big ball of gas with rings. It's not like you can stand on it. Looks like Oryx's ship will be within those rings. Not sure how much closer Bungie could put us than that!

Remember the gas giant level in Halo 2? That's kind of what I assumed people were expecting.

Look, it's not a big deal. New patrol areas are awesome, whether they happen to be on Saturn or not. I don't have any issues with the actual content of the expansion. (Yet.)

Oh, it also looks like we're going to Mercury for reals this time instead of just the one multiplayer map.

Perhaps. That would be very cool.

I just don't want to build up any expectations this time. I got burned hard after Destiny launched and it became clear that the game was so much smaller than I expected it to be, so I'm taking great care to avoid forming any expectations this time around.

Maybe we will get to patrol Mercury. Maybe we won't. Either way, I'm assuming that we won't until we hear otherwise. Same for Saturn.

No expectations whatsoever.

Wow

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:02 (3227 days ago) @ car15

Perhaps. That would be very cool.

I just don't want to build up any expectations this time. I got burned hard after Destiny launched and it became clear that the game was so much smaller than I expected it to be, so I'm taking great care to avoid forming any expectations this time around.

Maybe we will get to patrol Mercury. Maybe we won't. Either way, I'm assuming that we won't until we hear otherwise. Same for Saturn.

No expectations whatsoever.

I expect we will only visit the lighthouse on Mercury, and not have missions or patrol there (See my other post).

The Lighthouse? Alpha Lupi.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:59 (3227 days ago) @ Ragashingo

[image]

So, you can see the titan is standing on an "Alpha Lup Map" when he acquires the hammer (interesting side note, Sekrion floats above an Alpha Lupi map). The Lighthouse has the Alpha Lupi map in several places. I suspect that the Lighthouse is where the titan will go to get his 3rd subclass.

Also the Caloris spires. Fun fact!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:35 (3227 days ago) @ dogcow

The Caloris basin on mercury is one of the largest impact basins in the solar system. It's so big and had such a devastating effect, the other side of the planet to it has what is called "weird terrain," strange terrain that is difficult to explain normally, but makes sense if we think that the impact kind of exploded through to the other side of the planet.

The Lighthouse? Alpha Lupi.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:49 (3227 days ago) @ dogcow

Yeah, I thought of the Lighthouse too but I didn't want to say it because it would cheapen (read: Let Ragashingo into) the experience for the ToO players... :p

Flawless ToO required for Sunbreaker. Confirmed.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 18:32 (3227 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

Wow

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 15:59 (3227 days ago) @ car15
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 16:06

Seriously, you're going this far to step on both people's hopes and what Bungie said? I agree people should keep their hopes in check but you're just being a jackass at this point. Besides, you couldn't visit Saturn itself, it has no solid surface.

That would be one thing, this is telling other people not to get their hopes up. Encouraging people to be realistic or guarded or not hyped beyond all reason would be fine, but you're repeatedly and relatively forcefully saying that they should never get their hopes up, and that's not called for or appreciated.

Wow

by car15, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 17:00 (3227 days ago) @ General Vagueness

Holy shit, cry me a river.

I'm not "stepping on people's hopes" intentionally. You're free to hope as much as you like.

If just one cynical dude is enough to rain on your parade, then you are going to have trouble in life.

As for what Bungie said, I don't know what you're trying to say. They haven't said anything definitive about this.

Wow

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 23:47 (3227 days ago) @ car15
edited by General Vagueness, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 23:55

Holy shit, cry me a river.

I'm not "stepping on people's hopes" intentionally. You're free to hope as much as you like.

What about the other day when you posted "Don't get your hopes up" and "Don't do this to yourselves"? This has the same tone and seems like it has the same message.

As for what Bungie said, I don't know what you're trying to say. They haven't said anything definitive about this.

No, but they showed Guardians on a platform in a flat debris field with a banded planet behind it. Presuming we're staying in our own solar system, it's one of the gas giants, and Saturn is the one everyone thinks of as the ringed planet (and the one fans have been wanting the most because someone foolishly mentioned it in a vidoc one time).

Wow

by car15, Friday, June 19, 2015, 03:46 (3227 days ago) @ General Vagueness

What about the other day when you posted "Don't get your hopes up" and "Don't do this to yourselves"? This has the same tone and seems like it has the same message.

Cynicism =/= stepping on people's hopes. I was highlighting the fact that people were getting excited about something that has not actually been confirmed, which has happened before with this game and has never turned out well.

Come on, man. Please cut me a little slack here? It is not my intention to spoil anyone's fun here. I'm just trying to be realistic. Historically, building grandiose expectations of upcoming content in this game has only led to disappointment.

Hell, even if I were stepping on your hopes, so what? Y'all have it easy here. Try being a Halo fan on HBO these days.

No, but they showed Guardians on a platform in a flat debris field with a banded planet behind it. Presuming we're staying in our own solar system, it's one of the gas giants, and Saturn is the one everyone thinks of as the ringed planet (and the one fans have been wanting the most because someone foolishly mentioned it in a vidoc one time).

True, but is it a new explorable area or just the location for a Raid?

I think when people hear the words "go to Saturn", they envision being able to actually run patrols there (or the ship, or whatever the case may be). They want to see it in the Director. They want to be able to explore the terrain.

When Mercury turned out to be a single multiplayer map in the retail game, I think more than a few people were a little confused. There's nothing inherently wrong with that design choice, of course, and given Destiny's fiction it wouldn't make much sense for Mercury to be a hot-spot of activity, but people allowed their expectations to shape their vision of what Destiny was going to be, and when it didn't turn out that way, they couldn't understand what had happened.

I'm calling it now. If Saturn (or the ship, or whatever the case may be) is not a fully explorable "fifth destination", people are going to bitch about it, and it will be entirely because of the expectations that they had formed for what it could have been. "I thought this was supposed to be an expansion." "I didn't pay $40 for this paltry crap." Et cetera...

(Activision's marketing is partly to blame for encouraging players to form these lofty expectations, IMO, but that's a whole different can of worms that we won't be addressing here.)

I'm not saying that Saturn won't be a "fifth destination". I don't know. None of us know. And that's the point. I was only trying to highlight that Bungie hasn't said anything definitive one way or the other, and that forming expectations is probably unwise, especially given this game's track record.

Okay? Is that clear enough for you? Can we please desist with the "car15 villain" shit?

Wow

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:07 (3227 days ago) @ car15

I'm not saying that Saturn won't be a "fifth destination". I don't know. None of us know. And that's the point. I was only trying to highlight that Bungie hasn't said anything definitive one way or the other, and that forming expectations is probably unwise, especially given this game's track record.

Here's the problem with that: You are wrong. At about 2:35 into the new ViDoc Mark Noseworthy says:

In The Taken King you're going to go to a new destination, Oryx's dreadnaught, his massive castle in the sky and you're gonna to have to explore it and you're gonna have to track him down and find him.

Various other Bungie people have confirmed this in various interviews during the week. They've said it will have Patrol, and Strikes and will host the new Raid.

You're not a villain, but if you are going to play the role of keeping people's expectations in check you should at least have your facts straight.

Wow

by Avateur @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:22 (3227 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Additionally, homie made a post within the past few weeks saying that if Xur had Marty's music, it might actually get him playing Destiny again. How much you wanna bet he hasn't even played since before Dark Below? Maybe he has, but whatever. I think he's just trollin hard, and it's clearly working on GV. :P

Wrong

by car15, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:31 (3226 days ago) @ Avateur

On all counts.

Cool!

by car15, Friday, June 19, 2015, 04:32 (3226 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I was unaware that Bungie had disclosed that. Very cool!

Wait, what?!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:00 (3230 days ago) @ car15

They announced a new collector's edition for a game that's already been out for over half a year?

Seriously?!

I think it's great as I wasn't able to afford the first one last year so I'm excited that this one might actually be a possibility for my wallet.

When you 'collect', it's costly, whether it be Bungie games or Star Wars action figures. And products overlap. If you want the new Rancor you might get a fourth black-vest Luke Skywalker. (I used to collect Star Wars toys.)

by EffortlessFury @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:19 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

Slightly ticked about a new collectors edition (why must I like physical things?)

I agree. I really would like the new goodies but I really don't want to rebuy a game I own w/ both expansions...

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:23 (3230 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I never bought the expansions for Xbox so I could argue myself into it not being too redundant, but noting in the pack really moves me. I'd actually be more interested in the book without the coin cutout.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:01 (3230 days ago) @ Kermit

I can't find any info on it. The links on bungie's site all 404

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:03 (3230 days ago) @ Vortech

Woah. It really is $40 Wingwangs?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:14 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

I smell a DBO contest. Please. ._.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:14 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

Yeah. Still a 404. Or some other error page, I guess.

class specific emotes aka NEW DANCE MOVES!!!

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 00:57 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

class specific emotes aka NEW DANCE MOVES!!

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:25 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

How would we trigger them? We don't have more buttons (unless we buy crazy expensive controllers for our xbones) Will they replace the normal set?

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:27 (3230 days ago) @ Vortech

New dance move slot is my guess.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:30 (3230 days ago) @ unoudid

"Loading dance program now"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:35 (3230 days ago) @ Vortech

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:53 (3227 days ago) @ ZackDark

I thought of this.

Saturn?

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:30 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

According to the campaign section Oryx is parked up by saturn, and we'll be taking the fight to him.

So Titan I guess?

Saturn?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:43 (3230 days ago) @ electricpirate

Guess the concept art from pre-release is off the hive ship. Darn I was hoping it was an abandoned human ship that we would be able to go to

Saturn?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:06 (3229 days ago) @ electricpirate

According to the campaign section Oryx is parked up by saturn, and we'll be taking the fight to him.

Making me happier every day Bungie.

So this means two new areas? Phobos bases, and the ship?

Saturn?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:15 (3229 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not sure. Oryx's is really big and is almost certainly a Destination complete with Patrol, Strikes, and the new Raid. Phobos might also be a Destination but it might also be a one off mission area. I haven't heard one way or the other yet but maybe Bungie has said something by now? Anyone?

Saturn?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 01:32 (3229 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Not sure. Oryx's is really big and is almost certainly a Destination complete with Patrol, Strikes, and the new Raid. Phobos might also be a Destination but it might also be a one off mission area. I haven't heard one way or the other yet but maybe Bungie has said something by now? Anyone?

The creative director in the ViDoc said "Patrols", but that might have just been a slip of the tongue/meaningless.

If there is just one Patrol, I would assume it would be on the open-area moon and not inside the ship.

Saturn?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 02:15 (3228 days ago) @ Leviathan

It looks to me like the Patrol Destination is very much inside the ship!
[image]
Note the Bubble Zone name "Hull Breach" and the patrol icons. And that the player pulled out their Ghost right after Luke (I think?) was talking about Oryx's ship having lots of loot.

Still free digital upgrade from 360 to ONE?

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:41 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

I pre-ordered Destiny for my Xbox One on disc. Shortly after or at the time of release they announced that the Digital edition for xbox360 would have a free upgrade to the digital edition for the xboxOne. I know now I'd really like that digital edition but didn't want to have to pay for both the game and the expansion passes twice. But the new Digital Collectors edition has me intrigued with some of the extra content. Not sure if it's workth repaying the extra $40 it nets to but I may be willing to swallow the cost to go all digital on this.

Does anyone know, if I buy the Digital version for the 360 will I still be getting the free upgrade to the xboxone, both the game and the dlc.

Also, related question. I have friends who only play on the 360. If I buy the digital version, will I be able to play the digital 360 version on the xboxone's new backwards compatibility or will the xboxone only allow me to play the xboxone version? theoretically one could play against other 360 players through a backwardscompatible version on the One but I think Bungie/Activision will have to allow the 360 to play on it and they may not if there is a One edition.

I wonder this, too, for both platforms.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:27 (3230 days ago) @ CougRon

I pre-ordered Destiny for my Xbox One on disc. Shortly after or at the time of release they announced that the Digital edition for xbox360 would have a free upgrade to the digital edition for the xboxOne. I know now I'd really like that digital edition but didn't want to have to pay for both the game and the expansion passes twice. But the new Digital Collectors edition has me intrigued with some of the extra content. Not sure if it's workth repaying the extra $40 it nets to but I may be willing to swallow the cost to go all digital on this.

Does anyone know, if I buy the Digital version for the 360 will I still be getting the free upgrade to the xboxone, both the game and the dlc.

Also, related question. I have friends who only play on the 360. If I buy the digital version, will I be able to play the digital 360 version on the xboxone's new backwards compatibility or will the xboxone only allow me to play the xboxone version? theoretically one could play against other 360 players through a backwardscompatible version on the One but I think Bungie/Activision will have to allow the 360 to play on it and they may not if there is a One edition.

Depends on Bungie. They have to decide to support that. If you own both versions and they do decide to support backward compatibility, then you can play either one, but the question at hand is how many copies of Taken King do you need to play both?

It's up to Activision, not Bungie

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:40 (3229 days ago) @ Kermit

Microsoft stated in their presser (as well as in subsequent interviews) that the decision to allow the backwards compatibility was up to the publisher of each title.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 01:40 (3229 days ago) @ JDQuackers

Microsoft stated in their presser (as well as in subsequent interviews) that the decision to allow the backwards compatibility was up to the publisher of each title.

That's Bungie's fault. They should have not conceded shit like that in their contracts with activation. They created one of the biggest game franchises ever. They should have took a much harder line. Easy to say from here I guess since I don't know particulars, but I do think Bungie told a bit of a fib when they said they retained total creative control.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:00 (3229 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That's Bungie's fault. They should have not conceded shit like that in their contracts with activation. They created one of the biggest game franchises ever. They should have took a much harder line. Easy to say from here I guess since I don't know particulars, but I do think Bungie told a bit of a fib when they said they retained total creative control.

I'm not sure if I would even view backwards compatibility options in the realm of creative control. There's a number of games and comics publishers who give authors 'complete control' over their creation, but still have plenty of say in how and when exactly those creations are marketed/made available. They just don't tamper with the thing itself. Not saying that's right, just that it's not always easy to pin down the line between creation and publication.

yep.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:02 (3229 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:58 (3229 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's Bungie's fault that Microsoft wants approval from the publisher of each game before doing this?

Still free digital upgrade from 360 to ONE?

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 15:30 (3229 days ago) @ CougRon

seconded, please answer all of this, Bungie... please?

I can't recall a time when my feelings were so ... Mixed.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:42 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Explain

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 01:45 (3230 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

What didn't you like?

Likewise.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:30 (3230 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Don't get me wrong, I'm on board with what we know they're adding. New location, new subclasses, new raid... All good stuff.

What if really like to know, though, is will the Taken King bring anything "new" to the Destiny experience, or is it going to be the same formula, just "more".

Will we have a stronger focus on narrative?

Will we have new dialog from existing characters? New interactions?

Will we have new cutscenes?

Or, will we get a couple new vendors who talk at us while we play through the new story missions, without a peep from Ghost, the Speaker, the other guardians of the Vanguard, or even our own guardian?

I guess I'm hoping for more, but not really expecting it. I love Destiny. More content to play with friends is a great thing. But 2 expansions later, the game still feels largely incomplete to me. I would love to see The Taken King address some of Destiny's weaknesses.

Likewise.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 08:35 (3229 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I guess I'm hoping for more, but not really expecting it. I love Destiny. More content to play with friends is a great thing. But 2 expansions later, the game still feels largely incomplete to me. I would love to see The Taken King address some of Destiny's weaknesses.

It's a better bet than any of the previous expansions doing that given its size. You have to remember though, that you are still working within the framework of what's there. I'm not getting my hopes up for any of the real and dramatic changes that are needed, until Destiny 2.

Likewise.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 10:25 (3229 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's a better bet than any of the previous expansions doing that given its size. You have to remember though, that you are still working within the framework of what's there. I'm not getting my hopes up for any of the real and dramatic changes that are needed, until Destiny 2.

Agreed. That's why I didn't mention any sweeping changes or drastically new game modes. Cutscenes and dialog with existing characters wouldn't require any restructuring of the game itself (they're already in Destiny, just absent from the expansions). It's more a question of whether or not the writers, cinematic team, & audio team have time and resources to plan that stuff out, get the voice actors into the studio, etc.

Not interested...

by yakaman, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 11:56 (3229 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Agreed. That's why I didn't mention any sweeping changes or drastically new game modes. Cutscenes and dialog with existing characters wouldn't require any restructuring of the game itself (they're already in Destiny, just absent from the expansions). It's more a question of whether or not the writers, cinematic team, & audio team have time and resources to plan that stuff out, get the voice actors into the studio, etc.

My interest in Destiny popped like a balloon with HoW. It's been about 3 weeks now and I don't think it's coming back. It's not that I don't appreciate the details and content they're adding - I simply can't muster any interest in playing. More loot is no longer sufficient incentive.

I got my money's worth out of Destiny, but I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I learned to tolerate Crucible, but I don't think the unique guns thing works for me. Too much advantage, to easy to exploit, too difficult to balance. And I don't think I like RNG either. Strangely, the single best thing about Destiny is this forum and community.

I'll be interested in Destiny 2 when it comes, but I've drunk my fill.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:09 (3229 days ago) @ yakaman

That's a completely respectable position. See you starside.

+1

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 02:18 (3229 days ago) @ Kermit

Agreed. And no need to stop coming here!

+1

by yakaman, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 12:02 (3228 days ago) @ iconicbanana

Agreed. And no need to stop coming here!

I love this community, and could never stop. DBO: I wish I could quit you.

Interview with more details

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:46 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

Mayhem Clash sounds awesome

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:52 (3230 days ago) @ Xenos

And more objective based gametypes inbound for Crucible. Pretty nice interview, and fun gameplay.

Mayhem is so much fun!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 23:51 (3227 days ago) @ Avateur

I haven’t giggled quite so much in Destiny as I did frying dudes with ridiculous abandon via Stormcaller. :) Good times.

Was it like basketball slamming the thing in?

by Funkmon @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 00:00 (3227 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Is there a new Defensive Super at all?

by Avateur @, Friday, June 19, 2015, 01:52 (3227 days ago) @ Beorn

Specific to Mayhem. I'm wondering if there's some "Allstate" class enabled that protects you from Mayhem like what you described doing. :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist! Lame joke is lame. :D

I suppose on a serious note, does a Bubble Titan stand any chance in that gametype? lol

Titan Bubble = fun for everyone else.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:45 (3226 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Hey Bungie, please re-stock those shirts! :D

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:53 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

I would just like to state openly that I have a definitive interest in purchasing that Sunbreaker shirt, but my size apparently sold out instantly before I even knew it was there! I'm definitely eagerly awaiting being able to buy one of those!

Same

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:58 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Have not been able to buy appealing women's shirts ever...

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:35 (3229 days ago) @ Xenos

Seriously.....not only are the guys stock of new subclass shirts sold out they're not even offered in ladies sizes and cuts. I know im the minority here but it's aggravating.

Also....please Bungie make a zip up hoodie. Pull overs suck.

CC

Have not been able to buy appealing women's shirts ever...

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 23:05 (3229 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

Seriously.....not only are the guys stock of new subclass shirts sold out they're not even offered in ladies sizes and cuts. I know im the minority here but it's aggravating.

You're not alone there. I don't know why they have no women sizes for these types of shirts, or if they'll get any. We were actually just looking at the Warlock class, and it was disappointing that there aren't any sizes for women. We ordered a men's shirt for it. I guess it'll have to do, you know?

I did the same thing, just checked out

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 13:06 (3228 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

Gotta be fast like me bro!

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:04 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:43

I'd sell you mine at a markup but I got the hunter one because Titans suck. :P

Seriously though I just really like purple.

The sizes appear to be back in stock!

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 23:03 (3229 days ago) @ Avateur

I just ordered mine.

Kar15 Korner

by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 02:55 (3230 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by car15, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:01

For the zero people that care about my opinion - my whole opinion, mind you...

The good: I like this expansion. Everything about it looks great. Even if we don't get new cutscenes or substantial additions to the story (and let's be honest, at this point, does anyone actually expect those things?), all the content looks solid and fun. A new raid, new enemies, new subclasses, new environments... All of these things are good.

The bad: I can't shake the feeling that most of this stuff should have been included in the base game. Destiny, as it was shipped, was an incomplete experience. It really feels like Bungie withheld content for the expansions, particularly given that we saw a lot of expansion content in-engine in pre-release videos. I guess that's becoming the norm in this industry, but it's still hard to swallow.

The ugly: I can't believe Bungie is actually going to sell a collector's edition of this game almost a year after it was initially released. That is blatant double dipping and disgusting exploitation of the die-hards that go nuts for collectible items. I know nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it, but that's beside the point. This is a new low for Bungie.

Kar15 Korner

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:30 (3230 days ago) @ car15

The good: I like this expansion. Everything about it looks great. Even if we don't get new cutscenes or substantial additions to the story (and let's be honest, at this point, does anyone actually expect those things?), all the content looks solid and fun. A new raid, new enemies, new subclasses, new environments... All of these things are good.

The bad: I can't shake the feeling that most of this stuff should have been included in the base game. Destiny, as it was shipped, was an incomplete experience. It really feels like Bungie withheld content for the expansions, particularly given that we saw a lot of expansion content in-engine in pre-release videos. I guess that's becoming the norm in this industry, but it's still hard to swallow.

The ugly: I can't believe Bungie is actually going to sell a collector's edition of this game almost a year after it was initially released. That is blatant double dipping and disgusting exploitation of the die-hards that go nuts for collectible items. I know nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to buy it, but that's beside the point. This is a new low for Bungie.

Jerks.

[image]

If I can't sell the steelbook copy that comes with Collector's edition for $30, I'll be surprised, and this means I get the remaining physical goodies for $10 more than I'm going to pay for the expansion regardless.

I do hold out hope for a break for us multi-platform players (some digital transference like they offered originally would be nice).

Kar15 Korner

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:51 (3230 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Obviously the overlapping nature of this stuff is frustrating, but yeah, it's definitely not a 'new' low. :)

- Bought Halo 2 Limited Edition. Had to go buy regular edition later to get the beautiful cover by Lorraine and the Master Chief/UNSC-point-of-view manual.

-Bought Halo 3 Legendary Edition. Had to go buy the encyclopedia hardcover book that came with the Heroic Edition off eBay. (Also, the Legendary game cases were black and white - been debating for years whether or not to buy a standard copy so as to have the cover in color, since it's one of my favorite game covers of all time.)

-Bought Halo Reach Heroic Edition... Okay, this one wasn't REALLY frustrating, but I did have to buy all of the Noble Team action figures to make up for the lack of the statue, hah.

-Destiny... someday I'll have to track down all the physical bonus materials when I got some spare change.

*EDIT: This isn't meant to excuse this situation - it's just a humorous observation.

Kar15 Korner

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 03:51 (3230 days ago) @ car15

Yeah. I got a big grin on my face when I saw the Bridge of Chains in engine. The new subclasses all sound interesting. I like that they are setting this within a timeline up front, similar to what they did with House of Wolves (and what they did not do so much with The Dark Below which had very few ties to what came before it). Also, even with a poorly exposed in game story, it is kinda fun to watch Destiny expand.

We split a bit here. Mainly in that we just don't know if things were withheld. Sure, we saw things like The Reef and what looked to be a rendered cutscene of Saturn and so on well before Destiny's release, but even now I'm not prepared to assume the worst. It could very well be that Oryx's arrival was always planned as the first big event of Destiny's second year. A pair of DLC packs and then a bigger "Comet" release are kinda what the old Activision contract and that leaked slide a while back seem to point to that plan more or less holding steady since before Destiny's initial release, for instance.

I'm not entirely opposed to the idea, I support paying money to get cool stuff, but yes, it does feel strange to have paid for the super ultra Ghost Edition only to have a new high end edition come out a year later. I guess my hope is this: That this new collector's edition is even more awesome than my Ghost edition was. That it ties far more directly into Destiny's universe and that it highlights and reveals things we did not know. Not because I'm going to buy it (I'll be sticking to the cheapest version available) but because a stronger new collector's edition will hopefully mean a stronger in game story for Destiny going forward.

I'm also curious how Destiny's payment model will work going forward. This time next year will there be the base Destiny, The Dark Below, House of Wolves, The Taken King, a smaller DLC 4, a smaller DLC 5, and second bigger "Comet" style release on the fall horizon? I suppose if the content (both in game and physical) is good and the price is somewhat reasonable (do we know how much they want for this new collector's edition yet?) then more power to them...

Kar15 Korner

by Avateur @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 04:01 (3230 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I'm also curious how Destiny's payment model will work going forward. This time next year will there be the base Destiny, The Dark Below, House of Wolves, The Taken King, a smaller DLC 4, a smaller DLC 5, and second bigger "Comet" style release on the fall horizon? I suppose if the content (both in game and physical) is good and the price is somewhat reasonable (do we know how much they want for this new collector's edition yet?) then more power to them...

I'm holding out hope that we get Destiny 2 next year, it drops last gen, it allows for massive in-game expansion of worlds and AI in a given area, massive expansion of gameplay and story, and we get everything we've been dreaming of.

Kar15 Korner

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 00:11 (3229 days ago) @ car15

The Destiny that shipped in september was deeply flawed, yes. Given that Bungie is committed to this engine and delivering content a certain way, they are at least improving. I am not expecting anything major in terms of fundamental changes until Destiny 2. You can't really. You are correct in that the content needed to be delivered in larger chunks and better integrated with everything else. Something they can't rectify now, but perhaps in 2016 with a sequel. I don't care about the money, the cost of the content is marginal as far as I'm concerned, so paying isn't a problem. It's just the creative baggage that this business model creates on your game that troubles me.

Bow down

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 05:39 (3229 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by General Vagueness, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 05:50

All of this sounds really good...
...except...
Very nearly every single thing Bungie has done with Hunters so far, I've loved, or I've said "that is me, that is exactly how I like to play/who I am". In all the Grimoire fiction and descriptions, all the names and descriptions of Hunter gear, all the little ancillary descriptions and snippets that showed up before or outside of the game or in other classes' stuff, there's maybe two or three things that I don't 100% agree with. Almost all the abilities and perks I like, and I usually like them better than what I've tried of the Warlock and Titan options. They got me pegged.

One of the things I most wanted out of Destiny was a bow. I wanted it as a regular-ish weapon so I could use it all the time, but a super is alright too, it's flashier and the anticipation will make it sweeter and presumably it has cool effects. I see Titans get a flaming hammer, which is also really cool and would've been nice for Hunters, but it's no bow. A bow is elegant. A bow is simple. A bow, like a knife, is very, very quiet. I find out they're going to be giving this to me, and I'm glad they're still dialed in and I'm getting what I wanted... and then I find out it doesn't kill people.

What the fuck?

The funny thing is, in the little comic that goes with the Nightstalker description page on their site, I agree with the other two Hunters-- not about the bow obviously, bows are cool and if you disagree you have no business wearing a cloak-- but being a team player is really not a substantial part of the Hunter ethos, even if it is useful. The description for the class says the super might seem merciful compared to other subclasses. I'm inclined to agree, it doesn't seem that useful unless you're against a bunch of enemies that are relatively weak, which is a pretty constrained use case for Destiny. They know the reaction, and they did this anyway, and I can't figure out why.

I know, I'm complaining about getting something free (at least, I think it is, it really should be free), but they literally are giving me something from the top of my wish list and then twisting it so I don't want it any more. It's like being given chocolate chip cookies and then finding out they're actually oatmeal raisin cookies. ("Thanks for the gift, my dog will love these.") It even goes against some of their other stuff-- there's some common Hunter gear, and some Warlock gear and probably Titan gear, that tells you what your role is. The Hunter gear (gauntlets) says "Your job on the fireteam is to answer the question 'Can we kill that thing?' Make sure the answer is always yes." What am I supposed to do with that? I took that to heart, and to look at how Hunters are outside of this you would think Bungie had too, but then there's this that doesn't kill anything. I can only imagine if it was real life, and you were recruiting Hunters for a trip into the Vault of Glass or something, and you got that guy. "You're a Hunter, why can't you kill anything?" "I'm, I'm a Nightstalker, I don't really... kill things, so much." "Well thanks Batman, now we're all going to be dead, permanently."

I don't know, maybe some of the perks/upgrades or some combination of them make the super worthwhile. The subclass as a whole is a bigger question and concern. The smoke thing is kind of cool I guess but Titans already have blinding and suppression grenades and Bladedancer Hunters already have invisibility. The voidwall grenade doesn't sound too useful either. Shadestep I'd need to see in action, but it's hard to think it'll be a game-changer. It seems to me if anything the invisibility perks and blink jump should've been on the Nightstalkers, the throwing knife ability and perks should've been on the Bladedancers, and the blink strike melee and most of its perks should've been on Gunslingers.

Bungie, please tell me I'm worrying and griping over nothing, and this will actually be fun and fit with Hunters instead of sticking out like a sore thumb.

Clauswitz would be proud

by Durandal, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 10:16 (3229 days ago) @ General Vagueness

The bow, like the void shield is a support type ability. It isn't supposed to kill, but to contain enemies and debuf them. There are probably support abilities to generate orbs comparable to the Titan orb factories.

Just think about how game changing it is to tie up a bunch of captains, minotaurs or knights so they are not constantly spamming those two hit kill attacks in the nightfalls. No teleporting away, no ducking behind cover, just a bunch of majors stuck out in the open like chumps.

Golden Gun/Arc Blade are already only situationally useful in these situations. You generally won't want to get close with arc blade, and the gun doesn't kill unless you have the new helmet with the 6x damage.

Heh, Dragon's Breath might be useful now. Trap a bunch of enemies together and then drop a missile + solar grenade right in their midst.

Titan waz here

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 10:23 (3229 days ago) @ Durandal

[image]

Clauswitz would be proud

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:24 (3229 days ago) @ Durandal

The bow, like the void shield is a support type ability. It isn't supposed to kill, but to contain enemies and debuf them. There are probably support abilities to generate orbs comparable to the Titan orb factories.

Just think about how game changing it is to tie up a bunch of captains, minotaurs or knights so they are not constantly spamming those two hit kill attacks in the nightfalls. No teleporting away, no ducking behind cover, just a bunch of majors stuck out in the open like chumps.

Yeah this is my thought as well. It won't matter how much health they have, you can lock them down and disable them. Imagine that during parts of Crota when you're getting over run by yellow knights, just as one example.

Clauswitz would be proud

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:30 (3229 days ago) @ Durandal

It says 'foes' im curious if this applies to enemies in PVP as well...might be interesting to tether people down in crucible and not let them move.

CC

Clauswitz would be proud

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:34 (3229 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

It says 'foes' im curious if this applies to enemies in PVP as well...might be interesting to tether people down in crucible and not let them move.

CC

It absolutely does!

Check out the video here (cued up to an appropriate time) and watch the screen behind them while they talk.

Clauswitz would be proud

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 16:06 (3229 days ago) @ Xenos

[image]

CC

Bow down

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:28 (3229 days ago) @ General Vagueness

It's like being given chocolate chip cookies and then finding out they're actually oatmeal raisin cookies. ("Thanks for the gift, my dog will love these.")

Don't feed a dog raisins.

Bow down

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:44 (3229 days ago) @ Korny

Is that bad for them? My last 3 dogs loved chocolate covered raisins, even more than bones from KFC.

Bow down

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 12:45 (3229 days ago) @ bluerunner

Is that bad for them? My last 3 dogs loved chocolate covered raisins, even more than bones from KFC.

I know grapes are bad. Maybe your dogs were wizards. Also my dog loves nothing on earth more than KFC.

Having watched the trailer too many times *MANY GIFVs*

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:15 (3229 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by iconicbanana, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:22

I don't think the bow just entangles, I think that's just one of its 3 super options. It looks like at one point a hunter uses the bow to just do DPS on an Ogre. It might entangle too, but it definitely stunned the ogre, and it looked like it did the little blip of damage registration too:

Back, and to the left.

I also noticed the fire hammer bro can both throw his hammer, or use it to smack the *stuff* out of enemies:

Yes I know I'm abusing the power of gifv.

How good does it feel to send a Phalanx flying across the map? This good.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:33 (3229 days ago) @ iconicbanana

I think maybe the Titan's hammer has a primary and melee attack. Primary would seem to fire a "sunspot" from the hammer which does impact damage then lingers flame-i-ly (I'm guessing it's called this because Bungie.net says the Solar Titan can get an overshield by standing by a "sunspot" and I have no idea what else that might be) while melee hammers the heck out of someone at close range.

It looks like maybe the Arc Warlock is also dual mode. He's certainly got the chain lightning but it looked like maybe he can also do a Fist of Havoc-ish ground pound?

And yeah, I'd imagine that the Hunter's Void Bow does a bit more than entangle enemies. Gotta have those three super options! :) But if I can entangle a Arc Blading Bladedancer it's all worth it!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:39 (3229 days ago) @ Ragashingo

It looks like maybe the Arc Warlock is also dual mode. He's certainly got the chain lightning but it looked like maybe he can also do a Fist of Havoc-ish ground pound?

Are you referencing the part in the multiplayer clip from the interview with Urk and Luke? I think that may be part of the Spark Runner mode and not the super based on the things that pop up on screen (such as Rift Collapsed and Collateral Damage). Could be wrong of course, we only have the one clip.

Oooh. Interesting guess. You might be right!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 13:42 (3229 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

The Wait and See...

by Kahzgul, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 16:30 (3229 days ago) @ Avateur

I'll be taking a wait and see approach. Too much of this game has been press hype without payoff. It's been getting better (HoW delivered on its promises, if still not wholly satisfyingly).

Also, I'm super annoyed that for the next 90 days I'm going to be seeing a countdown clock every time I look at the Destiny logo on my PS4. It actually disgusts me.

TTK's trailer etc all looks amazing, but ... man... Bungie you've burned me with your press releases in the last 2 years. No pre-order here. I hope the expac is worth a normal, on-time sort of order.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread