The Umbra GDC Presentation

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 09:11 (4008 days ago)

Beorn already put the link on the front page, but if you are interested in the technical side of video game design I definitely suggest watching this video. The advancements in technology use is very impressive and if you know how most video games use occlusion (especially in FPS's) with portals and antiportals you will be pretty fascinated by what Umbra and Bungie came up with with a very limited amount of memory.

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 09:30 (4008 days ago) @ Xenos

VERY interesting video, I had no idea this was already being implemented in other games but it seems so common sense. This is the tool that will allow Destiny's scale to be greater than other games.

I wonder if the map they use at 36:30 is a Destiny protomap, it looks like how the Shores of Time look in my mind hahah

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 09:37 (4008 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

I wonder if the map they use at 36:30 is a Destiny protomap, it looks like how the Shores of Time look in my mind hahah

I'm kind of hoping that in a "Making of Destiny" ViDoc they show the technology in use in more detail on areas that are in the final game so we can get a feel of it.

Oh my.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 20:18 (4008 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by uberfoop, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 20:21

That "Dynamic Occluders" slide with the teapot is easily the funniest thing I've seen all day.

This tech is extremely cool. Low-resolution software voxel rasterization? Blast from the glorious 1990's past right there. Now everyone nostalgic for stuff like Outcast can take solace; that tech didn't die, it just got integrated into the occlusion culling process!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread