*OT* Any Ender's Game fans?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 13:56 (4008 days ago)

Looks good.

Right now, I am cautiously excited about this. There aren't exactly a lot of excellent book to film adaptations out there, so here's to hoping this one is one of the good ones.

I'm excited for it, but... *GIF*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 14:29 (4008 days ago) @ Mr Daax
edited by Grizzlei, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 15:14

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

This trailer has been cut down to the most basic foundations of any science fiction property. Nothing that made the novel stand out seems to have made it into this brief glimpse. While that shouldn't bother me as it is only just a trailer for American audiences, I am worried that this will be just another film. I am impressed with the cast they've assembled, however, I must say that...

[image]

Just saw it

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 14:45 (4008 days ago) @ Grizzlei

This trailer has been cut down to the most basic foundations of any science fiction property. Nothing that made the novel stand out seems to have made it into this brief glimpse. While that shouldn't bother me as it is only just a trailer for American audiences, I am worried that this will be just another film. I am impressed with the cast they've assembled. Concerning the cast, however, I must say that...

I think "cautiously exited" is a nice way to put it. Regarding book details in the trailer, I hope they stick to this approach and don't give too much away before the movie's out. Part of the magic of the story, as I recall (it's been 13 years), is that you're learning about the story as Ender learns about it. I find it saddening when trailers give away too much plot.

Just saw it

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 14:54 (4008 days ago) @ Beorn

If I see it, it's going to be really hard to accept the art direction I bet, since I've intertwined Ender and John Harris's art so intimately in my mind for too many years.

Just saw it

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 15:09 (4008 days ago) @ Beorn

"Cautiously excited" is accurate. I'm not sure I would go that far. I haven't really been following the movie production all these years, but wasn't Orson Scott Card pretty heavily involved? If true that gives me some hope.

However, I don't really like the vibe I get from the trailer. It just doesn't feel like it sets the appropriate tone. I honestly think Ender's Game is one of those novels that would be/is really difficult to transfer to film in an adequate manner. There's so much stuff in the novel about what's happen to Ender internally and psychologically, I'm not sure how they can portray that in the movie.

I don't know. I'll go see it for sure, just because I love Ender's Game, but I'm not expecting a whole lot at this point.

Just saw it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 16:39 (4008 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's so much stuff in the novel about what's happen to Ender internally and psychologically, I'm not sure how they can portray that in the movie.

While the trailer looks pretty decent, this is my main concern. The majority of Ender's character development is internal monologue, and I don't know how they can pull that off in a movie that I'm going to assume is not narrated (and I'm not sure that would work for a movie either).

Just saw it

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 16:49 (4008 days ago) @ Xenos

The majority of Ender's character development is internal monologue, and I don't know how they can pull that off in a movie that I'm going to assume is not narrated (and I'm not sure that would work for a movie either).

I've always been a fan of characters being their own personal narrator. In any other case, they could get John Hurt or Ron Howard.

Just saw it

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:24 (4007 days ago) @ Grizzlei

How cool would it be if they set up the sequel movies by having this film actually be a story told by an older Ender, and that's how they'll give it an internal monologue and reveal who stars in the upcoming sequels? That would be badass.

Although realistically, they'd have to do Ender's Shadow next.

This.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 18:08 (4007 days ago) @ Beorn

I think "cautiously exited" is a nice way to put it. Regarding book details in the trailer, I hope they stick to this approach and don't give too much away before the movie's out. Part of the magic of the story, as I recall (it's been 13 years), is that you're learning about the story as Ender learns about it. I find it saddening when trailers give away too much plot.

The trailer actually seemed to tell a different story (sort of the OPPOSITE story) than the book - so maybe they ARE going to do a good job of selling it as you watch.

This.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 20:51 (4007 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The trailer actually seemed to tell a different story (sort of the OPPOSITE story) than the book - so maybe they ARE going to do a good job of selling it as you watch.

I've always wanted to direct a horror film that is ONLY marketed as a romantic comedy. The first 15 minutes everything's normal and then BAM.

.... This sits in the 'terrible ideas' section of my brain.

Interesting

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 20:58 (4007 days ago) @ Leviathan

.... This sits in the 'terrible ideas' section of my brain.

As it did for Stephenie Meyer.

This.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:01 (4007 days ago) @ Leviathan

I've always wanted to direct a horror film that is ONLY marketed as a romantic comedy. The first 15 minutes everything's normal and then BAM.

I was actually introduced to Shaun of the Dead that way. They didn't tell me the name, or let me watch the opening credits. It was very funny. But yeah, if you marketed it that way it would be a terrible idea,

This.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:40 (4007 days ago) @ Leviathan

Heh, I think of Cabin in the Woods as a comedy marketed as a horror movie.

This.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 05:46 (4007 days ago) @ Leviathan

Was told this was a romantic comedy.

IMDB

Major book spoilers in here

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 12:36 (4007 days ago) @ Claude Errera

To that point, isn't the final scene of that trailer (Zapping the entire homeworld) kind of a massive super huge frigging spoiler? If they want to pace discovery, giving up a huge part of the ending doesn't seem like a good idea.

Major book spoilers in here

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 13:02 (4007 days ago) @ electricpirate

To that point, isn't the final scene of that trailer (Zapping the entire homeworld) kind of a massive super huge frigging spoiler? If they want to pace discovery, giving up a huge part of the ending doesn't seem like a good idea.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised to see that. Although it's so brief that without context, those who haven't read the books probably won't latch onto exactly what they're seeing.

I'm gonna start calling you GrizzFeed

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 16:51 (4008 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I don't know who that is and I don't care to find out

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 19:28 (4007 days ago) @ Schooly D

[image]

FEED ME!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 07:28 (4007 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

I'm excited. [full stop]

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 15:59 (4008 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:22 (4007 days ago) @ Mr Daax

You guys should read the wikipedia page on the movie, particularly the part regarding Card's rewrites for a script version. Without spoiling anything, the twist ending has been nerfed.

Which I was really upset about.

Until I thought about it more. And frankly, I think it's going to make for a much more interesting sequence emotionally the way it's been rewritten.

Love the way they're integrating more modern-looking equipment (like the fighter jets) to create a 'near-future' for what I'm assuming is the first war with Rackham (sp?). It'll make a nice visual contrast between the old war and the new one being fought.
The formic ships look a little generic, but fitting. I'm excited to see the battle sequences both in the battle room and in space. Hopefully they don't cut too much of the computer program, because that was such an important part of the book, and would have so much to say, especially to a modern audience (and us in particular) who are more familiar with real-world video games.

Also, at 1:08, I believe we may be seeing a bit of the epilogue sequence where *spoiler* is found, setting the story up for Speaker for the Dead.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:56 (4007 days ago) @ Postmortem

You guys should read the wikipedia page on the movie, particularly the part regarding Card's rewrites for a script version. Without spoiling anything, the twist ending has been nerfed.

Which I was really upset about.

Until I thought about it more. And frankly, I think it's going to make for a much more interesting sequence emotionally the way it's been rewritten.

Yeah, the fact that the movie audience will know about the twist all along isn't going to bother me. I do think it will make for a more interesting film than if they had tried to make it a twist ending like the novel. Those of us that have read the novel would know anyway, so it's somewhat irrelevant anyway.

I'll go see this in theaters for sure, but I'm still not really sure they'll be able to pull it off.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:29 (4007 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Never read the book, but I have to say that this looks pretty eh and Harrison Ford sounds bored out of his mind.

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:34 (4007 days ago) @ biggy

Never read the book, but I have to say that this looks pretty eh and Harrison Ford sounds bored out of his mind.

In some ways, that's kind of part of his character. Extremely emotionally attached to Ender, but forced to come across as intimidating and professional for the sake of humanity and the kid's training. I may be reading into it a bit, but I think the performance seems to match quite well so far. As soon as I heard about it, Harrison Ford seemed like the perfect choice to me.

This guy quite literally fills the same role in the Ender's Game universe as Mendez in Halo.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:48 (4007 days ago) @ Postmortem

In some ways, that's kind of part of his character. Extremely emotionally attached to Ender, but forced to come across as intimidating and professional for the sake of humanity and the kid's training. I may be reading into it a bit, but I think the performance seems to match quite well so far. As soon as I heard about it, Harrison Ford seemed like the perfect choice to me.

I actually think I imagined Ford AS this character when I first read it!

This guy quite literally fills the same role in the Ender's Game universe as Mendez in Halo.

Totally.

Read the book!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:55 (4007 days ago) @ biggy

The first chance you get. Skip the movie.

Read the book!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 21:57 (4007 days ago) @ Kermit

I agree 100%. Read the book, then read the rest of them. Well, read the Speaker trilogy anyway. While I do like the Shadow series just fine, the Speaker Trilogy is the real meat of Ender's story, I think.

Read the book!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:54 (4007 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Xenocide is my absolute favorite piece of science fiction. I've read it at least a dozen times.

Read the book!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 23:15 (4007 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Xenocide is my absolute favorite piece of science fiction. I've read it at least a dozen times.

My opinion would probably be different today but I remember it being a little preachy and a bit of a slog when I went through the original four books in high school. I was just sorry it was over after finishing Children of The Mind. I'll have to revisit Xenocide sometime after I get through the last couple Iain M. Banks that I missed.

Ender's Shadow was just terrible though. :(

Read the book!

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 23:30 (4007 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I didn't particularly like Ender's Shadow, but I didn't hate it. I thought the rest of the Shadow series was better though, mainly the stuff dealing with Peter becoming Hegemon. Maybe not something I would read again, whereas I've read Ender's Game and the Speaker novels at least four times. I may actually dig out my copies after this discussion.

Buy the book and read it twice

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:07 (4007 days ago) @ Kermit

I've always wanted to ask Halo fans this. If you guys could spend one day being chased by Marines in the forest during Spartan training or an hour in the Battle Room, which would you choose? Can't think of anything that beats the mind shattering awesomeness that is zero-g acrobatic combat.

Battle Room no question

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:30 (4007 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Seconded.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:52 (4007 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

Battle Room no question

by Mattchoo, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 10:13 (4007 days ago) @ Xenos

Totally agree

Battle Room FTW

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 10:23 (4007 days ago) @ Grizzlei

I've always wanted to ask Halo fans this. If you guys could spend one day being chased by Marines in the forest during Spartan training or an hour in the Battle Room, which would you choose? Can't think of anything that beats the mind shattering awesomeness that is zero-g acrobatic combat.

After reading Ender's Game in high school (c. 1998), a buddy and I made a Marathon Infinity mod to simulate the Battle Room. We pushed the engine about as far as we could to get low/zero-G (I don't remember if this actually worked out or not), and changed the weapons and enemies with Anvil. All the combatants were Vac Bobs, and there were obstacles you'd have to maneuver around. Was pretty hard to beat, as I remember, but we had SO much fun making it!

I couldn't put it down. Smacked me over the head and heart.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:46 (4007 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Read the book!

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 07:29 (4007 days ago) @ Kermit

The first chance you get. Skip the movie.

This. It's an easy read and the best way to experience the story.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 22:59 (4007 days ago) @ biggy

Harrison Ford is really good at that.

To be fair, he was coerced by the producers :)

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 23:11 (4007 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

I know

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 07, 2013, 23:16 (4007 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

You really don't get the good stuff from Harrison until you kidnap his family.

What version is that from?

by Postmortem ⌂, AZ, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 08:30 (4007 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I realize that I've only ever seen the director's cut. Which I know is better, but I don't know what most of the differences are, other than the whole unicorn symbology.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 08:54 (4007 days ago) @ Postmortem

Original theatrical release. I know because I was there. Still thought it was a great movie.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 10:49 (4007 days ago) @ Postmortem

I realize that I've only ever seen the director's cut. Which I know is better, but I don't know what most of the differences are, other than the whole unicorn symbology.

The big difference, for me at least, was that the original had narration from Ford's character. Which I thought was unnecessary.

Also everyone should read the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Same characters, similar setting, same themes.... but completely different story essentially. And yet they both capture the same big ideas from different directions. Dick's got a bit more paranoia, of course. :)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 11:29 (4007 days ago) @ Leviathan

The big difference, for me at least, was that the original had narration from Ford's character. Which I thought was unnecessary.

Also everyone should read the book, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Same characters, similar setting, same themes.... but completely different story essentially. And yet they both capture the same big ideas from different directions. Dick's got a bit more paranoia, of course. :)

I actually just read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and was surprised at both the close similarities and glaring differences.

by Mattchoo, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 10:05 (4007 days ago) @ Mr Daax

YES!!!!

They better get the ending correct. I don't want to spoil anything for those that didn't read the book, but the book ending makes the reader really think deep in a vareity of ways.

by electricpirate @, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 12:57 (4007 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I'll go ahead and be that guy and admit I'm not planning to see it because of Card's political views. When I re-examined some of what I liked about the book in the light of Cards general awfulness, and after growing up some, I found that it didn't resonate nearly as strongly for me.

I'm a fan of the book!

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 19:58 (4006 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Even met the author! He signed my extremely worn out copy of Ender's Game.

[image]

(This was about five years ago, long before I found out he was a crazy person. I still like his Ender books, I just ignore anything he does or says outside of that.)

I'm a fan of the book!

by Quirel, Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 20:41 (3999 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Speaking of foolish optimism ...

There is only a finite amount of oil in the world.

Everybody knows this.

Someday, we'll run out.

It will be gone.

Meanwhile, our insatiable thirst for oil -- which we burn -- has put enormous sums of money into the hands of fanatics who hate us and everything we stand for, and who use that oil money to fund the terrorists who murder Jews and Americans wherever they can.

We can't burn oil forever.

And it's bad strategy to base our economy on cheap oil when we have to buy at least some of it from our enemies.

Optimists tell us that the free market will eventually deal with the problem. Their theory is that as oil gets harder to extract cheaply, the price will go up; then other forms of energy will become economically attractive and we'll switch over to them.

Therefore, they say, government should stay out of the business of trying to limit the use of oil or encourage alternate energy sources.

Here's why their optimism is nothing short of suicidal.

First, there's no guarantee that without intense government-funded research and financial incentives now, the new energy sources will be available in quantities large enough to replace oil when it does run out.

In other words, if we wait until it's an emergency, our economy could easily crash and burn for lack of energy sources sufficient to drive it.

It's easy to supply energy for an economy that's only a tenth the size of the world's economy today. The question is, how many people will die in the resulting chaos and famine, before a new free-market equilibrium is established?

Second, how stupid do we have to be to wait until we run out of oil before acting to prevent its waste as a fuel? Petroleum is a vital source of plastics. We could use it for that purpose for hundreds of generations -- if we didn't burn any more of it. But if we wait till we've burned all the cheap petroleum, it won't be just fuel that we have to replace.

Third, market forces don't do anything for our national defense, our national security. We had a clear warning back in the 1970s with the first oil embargo. What if terrorism in the Middle East specifically targets all oil exports, from many countries?

And even if they keep the oil flowing, why are we pumping money into the pockets of militant extremists who want to destroy us? Why are we subsidizing our enemies, when instead we could be subsidizing the research that might set us free from our addiction to oil?

You notice that I haven't said anything about polluting the environment. Because this is not an environmental issue.

In the long run, it's an issue of whether we wish to provide for our children the same kind of prosperity that we've luxuriated in as a nation since World War II.

It is foolish optimism bordering on criminal neglect that we continue to think that our future will be all right as long as we find new ways to extract oil from proven reserves.

Instead of extracting it, we ought to be preserving it.

Congress ought to be giving incentives and then creating mandates that require hybrid vehicles to predominate within the next five years.

Within the next fifteen years, we must move beyond hybrids to means of transportation that don't burn oil at all.

Within thirty years, we must handle our transportation needs without burning anything at all.

I made the numbers up. Maybe where I said five years, it should be ten.

Then again, maybe where I said thirty years, we'll find ourselves wishing that somebody had insisted on fifteen.

Predicting the exact moment when our dependence on petroleum will destroy us is pointless.

What is certain is this: We will run out of oil that is cheap enough to burn. We don't know when, but we do know it will happen.

And on that day, our children will curse their forebears who burned this precious resource, and therefore their future, just because they didn't want the government to interfere with the free market, or some other such nonsense.

The government interferes with the free market constantly. By its very existence, government distorts the market. So let's turn that distortion to our benefit. Let's enforce a savings program. But instead of putting money in the bank, let's put oil there.

Oil in the bank ... so our children and grandchildren for a hundred generations can slowly draw it out to build with it instead of burn it.

Oil in the bank ... so we'll be free of the threat of fanatics who seek to murder their enemies -- including us -- with weapons paid for at our gas pumps.

Do you want to know who funded Osama bin Laden? We did. And we continue to do it every time we fill up.

You don't have to be an environmental fanatic to demand that we control our greed for oil.

In fact, you have to be six kinds of dumb not to insist on it.

But ... foresight just isn't the American way. We always seem to wait until our own house is burning before we notice there's a wildfire.

Oh, it won't reach us here, we tell ourselves. We'll be safe.

Talk about foolish optimism.

-Orson Scott Card

Yup. Definitely a crazy person. /sarcasm

I'm a fan of the book!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 20:54 (3999 days ago) @ Quirel

Having that been the first thing I've ever read from the man, there's a lot of truth within, but it's lacking significant empathy in a few spots. If anyone cared, I'd love to elaborate off the board.

I care; Elaborate away

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 21:34 (3999 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Though this thread, and probably this forum, ain't quite the place for it. Email me, if you want.

Thanks

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 22:21 (3999 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Though this thread, and probably this forum, ain't quite the place for it. Email me, if you want.

Just wanted to say that I appreciate your discretion. :)

(You too, SonofMacPhisto.)

Thanks

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 16:16 (3999 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

All part of the service, sir!

I'm a fan of the book!

by Quirel, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 20:37 (3996 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'd love to hear it as well. Not sure if my E-mail is tied to my profile, though.

I'm a fan of the book!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, May 19, 2013, 11:56 (3996 days ago) @ Quirel

It's not. Mine is, however. :)

I'm a fan of the book!

by ncsuDuncan @, Wednesday, May 15, 2013, 22:19 (3999 days ago) @ Quirel

Yup. Definitely a crazy person. /sarcasm

Sorry, hope I didn't offend. Card was actually very pleasant in person (and even talked excitedly about the difficulties of making Ender's Game into a movie - five years ago!)

I was excited to meet him when that picture was taken; I simply wanted to make it clear that I'd be less excited to meet him now. I find it's easier to just jokingly call him a "crazy person" and continue enjoying Ender's Game than let myself get upset over certain opinions he holds.

I'm a fan of the book!

by Quirel, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 21:20 (3996 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

I was excited to meet him when that picture was taken; I simply wanted to make it clear that I'd be less excited to meet him now. I find it's easier to just jokingly call him a "crazy person" and continue enjoying Ender's Game than let myself get upset over certain opinions he holds.

I respect that greatly. I'm not a big fan of his, but it's just so frustrating how everything the guy does draws backlash because of his opinions.

Anyhow, I operate the same way. If I didn't, I wouldn't be able to watch the movie because it stars Harrison Ford.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread