Very Lengthy Luke Smith Interview by Giant Bomb (Destiny)

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 03:36 (3254 days ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iHfq7KY1JU4#t=9201
(this is a link to a timecode of a youtube livestream that has not yet ended, so apologies if it breaks)

Some Background: Jeff (far right) and Brad (far left) are editors at Giantbomb.com, a website that covers videogames in an excessively casual manner. Jeff was very disappointed by Destiny, while Brad views the game in a relatively positive manner. Both agree the game has some flaws.

Sorry, Link broke after the stream ended. Updated:

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 10:32 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by CyberKN, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 10:38

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=iHfq7KY1JU4#t=9201
(interview starts at 2:33:22 and goes for about 26 minutes)

Thanks for posting this. Great interview.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:00 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN

I LOVE the way Luke handled this segment. Jeff has a tendency to speak very loud and authoritatively in a way that can sometimes railroad the conversation, but Luke did a fantastic job of addressing his questions and concerns while still turning the conversation around in constructive ways. He really is great at both sides of an interview. Some nice moments of genuine transparency as well.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:13 (3254 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I LOVE the way Luke handled this segment. Jeff has a tendency to speak very loud and authoritatively in a way that can sometimes railroad the conversation, but Luke did a fantastic job of addressing his questions and concerns while still turning the conversation around in constructive ways. He really is great at both sides of an interview. Some nice moments of genuine transparency as well.

Luke gave the perspective of someone who's approaching Destiny with somewhat Fresh eyes. I guess from his role in the Raid, which was so segmented off, he's leading the Taken King with out all the baggage of the decisions that didn't work.

On the downside... It sounds like the dreadnaught is the only major destination :(. I was hoping we'd get two new patrol areas, since it sounds like they are using them interesting ways.

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:49 (3254 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'd assume they will make additional changes to the existing patrol areas similar to the previous two dlc packs. Hopefully they can find a new way to breathe life into them.

Additions to Patrol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:27 (3254 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I'd assume they will make additional changes to the existing patrol areas similar to the previous two dlc packs. Hopefully they can find a new way to breathe life into them.

Well, to me it looked like in the video that there was a clip where a group of Taken had been "warped" in. But what got me was that the location looked like Earth in a patrol like section. Also, there was a mentioned part where someone says something like "You are going to find yourself fighting cabal, fallen, vex and then suddenly there are Taken coming at you" which also kinda implies that there might be Taken warped into patrol areas.

I could be way off, but that's how I interpreted it :-)

Additions to Patrol

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:39 (3254 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Well, to me it looked like in the video that there was a clip where a group of Taken had been "warped" in. But what got me was that the location looked like Earth in a patrol like section. Also, there was a mentioned part where someone says something like "You are going to find yourself fighting cabal, fallen, vex and then suddenly there are Taken coming at you" which also kinda implies that there might be Taken warped into patrol areas.

I could be way off, but that's how I interpreted it :-)

When I saw that in the video, I assumed it was another case of re-treading an existing area for an early mission.

You know, like in the TDB where the first mission is just doing the Sepiks strike backwards?

That kind of stuff.

(not trying to come off as a downer, your idea is totally plausible. Could be a little of each, actually)

The Stanley Parable & Destiny.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:50 (3254 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think Luke did an amazing job handling the interview.

One thing that Jeff complained about is how the missions "all felt the same", that they "had the same recipe" which is kinda true, you go there & have your ghost do this, go to the other place & wait while your ghost does that, go get the red key to open this door, now go get the blue key, push this button to open the door, push that button to... blah blah blah. I have yet to see a game that doesn't have that problem to some extent, that's part of what made the Stanley Parable so freakin' great (I'm talking the original mod, not the game, I have yet to play that), it totally pointed that problem out to players and made fun of it while doing it at the same time. Halo 1 had the same problem, especially in the Library. I just don't understand why Destiny was criticized for it so much more than other games, maybe it just stands out more in Destiny for some reason. (Dinklebot?) I dunno. I'll just blissfully keep pushing the button to make something happen because I'm told to do, and I'll have fun doing it, that's what gaming is after all.

Would you kindly ...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:00 (3254 days ago) @ dogcow

- No text -

The Stanley Parable & Destiny.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 20:59 (3254 days ago) @ dogcow

...I just don't understand why Destiny was criticized for it so much more than other games, maybe it just stands out more in Destiny for some reason. (Dinklebot?) I dunno. I'll just blissfully keep pushing the button to make something happen because I'm told to do, and I'll have fun doing it, that's what gaming is after all.

Because you don't do anything interesting in Destiny's story.

In Halo you've got stuff like boarding a scarab, or assaulting a Covenant-held forerunner tower with a squad of Hornets, or the warthog trench-run, or investigating a "weapons cache" that ends up holding a long-dormant alien parasite, which you must then flee from. Straight-forward Run-and-gun levels are there, but they're palate cleansers. In Destiny it's the main course, over and over.

Luke Smith and the Future of Destiny

by Doooskey, Kansas City, MO, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:17 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN

"Cuz we wanna wear his ass like a hat!"

"shooting mechanics that are intrinsically fun, but not extrinsically rewarding... The extrinsic then trumps the intrinsic..."

-Same Guy

I love Luke Smith.

On a serious note, via various sources (this one included) I believe some awesome things are on the way to us.

-Weapons and Armor being acquired in more creative and varied ways (similar to the exotic bounties, but not just exclusive to exotics)
-Weapons and Armor dropping from specific areas or bosses outside of raids (I always expected this, but it never happened) Bungie always said, we would have encounters where we got some weapon, and we could take people to go get it... That happened for a few weapons, but was very (too much) dependent on RNG and almost exclusive to the Raids. Expanding this idea is a good call.
-A much bigger emphasis on the things that are truly original and great (The Vault of Glass experience)

My guess is that the Dreadnaught is going to be similar to the Vault of Glass, but even bigger. By that I mean that there will be lots and lots of explorable space, secrets, and puzzles, with this area accessible via the Patrol, with the Raid being it's own hulking beast of a space. In one interview (can't remember!), Luke says this is the "biggest raid yet." I take that to mean physical space akin to the style of VoG. This is good news.

The one thing I am not so sure is going enough in the right direction is significantly better story telling in Destiny. I just wish there were ways to tell the story of the Grimoire in game...

Wonderfully Frank. Love it.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:15 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN

- No text -

Fantastic Interview

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 13:26 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN

I love that Luke directly addresses people's complaints, and admits a lot of the design problems with Destiny. I was excited already, now I'm stoked!

Fantastic Interview

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 14:56 (3254 days ago) @ Xenos

I love that Luke directly addresses people's complaints, and admits a lot of the design problems with Destiny. I was excited already, now I'm stoked!

Yep, I tend to give them too much of the benefit of a doubt, in that I assume they know better than anyone the problems that exist and that they really want to make the game better, but it's nice to see evidence of that in interviews like this. Luke is cool. Loved how he handled the PAX Bungie panel last year as well.

Wow. That was a good interview.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 16:32 (3254 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by INSANEdrive, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 17:19

The interviewer pretty much summed up my thoughts to a tee. With that said... this isn't going to save you all from the coming onslaught of words and things I have been brewing for you all to TL;DR through.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread