Cross Gen compatibility (somewhat) confirmed for Xbox

by Ukumio @, Australia, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 12:16 (4007 days ago)
edited by Ukumio, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 13:03

So while this isn't directly linked to Destiny, it does at least answer that cross gen play may be possible between Current Xbox players and Next Gen Xbox players.

So I don't know if you guys have heard of Ascend: New Gods, but its a game that has jump in/jump out co-op somewhat like Destiny and that's pretty much where the similarities end.

One of the developers over at Signal Studios had this to say when asked about if a player on the Xbox could play with someone on the Next Gen Xbox

"Time will tell us as we get closer to next gen but we don't anticipate any issues."

This hopefully means that cross gen play will at least be possible in Destiny, though these feature has not been confirmed, I have reached out to Bungie for comment. Sadly though, there is still no news about cross platform play for Destiny.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 15:18 (4007 days ago) @ Ukumio

I hope so, but I'll wait for confirmation from MS. I assume there will be a few cross-gen title (CoD, Destiny, sports games, etc) and if I do invest in the next gen xbox early on I'd love to be able to play with the greater 360 population without having to switch on the 360.

by petetheduck, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 17:31 (4007 days ago) @ biggy

I hope so, but I'll wait for confirmation from MS. I assume there will be a few cross-gen title (CoD, Destiny, sports games, etc) and if I do invest in the next gen xbox early on I'd love to be able to play with the greater 360 population without having to switch on the 360.

Yeah, if the Nextbox is backwards compatible, it makes sense for it to permit cross-system online play. Otherwise you're really hurting the Xbox 360 titles by splitting their populations.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 19:02 (4006 days ago) @ petetheduck

Heh. It would be really interesting if PS4 had its own version of Destiny but the next Xbox ran Destiny as Xbox 360 BC.

(Assuming Durango has 360 BC, which I'm not expecting all that strongly.)

by mikefishr, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, May 08, 2013, 21:02 (4006 days ago) @ Ukumio

Now if only we could get cross-platform compatibility, and just enjoy the game without having to worry which platform my friends are on... *sigh*

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 05:48 (4006 days ago) @ mikefishr

Now if only we could get cross-platform compatibility, and just enjoy the game without having to worry which platform my friends are on... *sigh*

I'll be on Xbox, since somebody already registered petetheduck on the Playstation Network.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 12:54 (4006 days ago) @ mikefishr

Yeah, I mean for a social game, this is kind of a deal breaker isn't it? When your friends are split between PS4 and Xbox, what are you to do?

I'm secretly hoping the reason there's no PC version is the fact that destiny is compatible across platforms. Obviously PC couldn't play, because history has shown that when you pair PC players with console players PC players spank them hard and it's no fun. Shadownrun, Quake on dreamcast, etc.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 14:16 (4006 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah, I mean for a social game, this is kind of a deal breaker isn't it? When your friends are split between PS4 and Xbox, what are you to do?

I'm secretly hoping the reason there's no PC version is the fact that destiny is compatible across platforms. Obviously PC couldn't play, because history has shown that when you pair PC players with console players PC players spank them hard and it's no fun. Shadownrun, Quake on dreamcast, etc.

Yeah, I'll admit if it's not cross-compatible I will most likely buy it on PS4 and 720, but I am sane enough to admit that is kind of crazy, and that most people don't have $120 to spare on one game.

I also would be shocked if Microsoft allows cross-compatibility between PS4 and 720 since they have been the main opponents to it. PS3 has at least shown willingness to work with Steam/Valve to integrate some Steam features.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread