A Host of New Information at Bungie.net pre-E3

by Ser Jergen, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:02 (4006 days ago)

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:05 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

I'm loving the different Fallen ranks!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:29 (4006 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I'm loving the different Fallen ranks!

It sounds like they might be carrying over some of the AI group behavior from Halo. Take out the Fallen Captain and the Dregs will probably scatter.

Vandals appear to hold a higher ranking than the Dregs, and deadlier weapons, too. They often have long range capability, but, lucky for us, their weapons take time to charge.

Jackal Snipers confirmed lol :)

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:43 (4006 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Haha, yes, I was definitely getting Jackal vibes from them!

"They are crafty, but they usually give up their cover with their clattering and hissing".

by Oz Mills, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:41 (4005 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

With the highest-level noble one, with the swords, I was actually getting a Brute/Elite vibe from them. Interesting...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:06 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

More concept art, my desktop is going to end up not repeating within 24 hours or more.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:52 (4005 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm in the same predicament.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:22 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

Cool...a few tidbits of new info in there, couple new pieces of art. More descriptions of Earth locations.

war-torn fortresses of the Twilight Gap to the skyward steppes of Old Russia

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:29 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

The Traveler is what sparked the Golden Age. Huh, odd, I was under the impression the Traveler only showed up while we were getting stomped.

Maybe whatever tried to destroy us came in pursuit of the Traveler.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:36 (4006 days ago) @ ZackDark

The Traveler is what sparked the Golden Age. Huh, odd, I was under the impression the Traveler only showed up while we were getting stomped.

i did it i did it i brought all this here all them here. our
friends with three eyes and their toys and their cyborg pets
and their computers. i did it i did it. i saw them i saw
them far away not looking our way and i called them here i
called them here.

Indeed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:34 (4005 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

i did it i did it i brought all this here all them here. our
friends with three eyes and their toys and their cyborg pets
and their computers. i did it i did it. i saw them i saw
them far away not looking our way and i called them here i
called them here.

Curiouser and curiouser. You make an interesting point. (And here's a link if anyone is confused...)

While I think we're supposed to take the Traveler's benevolence at face value for now, there is almost certainly more behind the scenes. We have no idea how big this story will be and I'm more and more excited to explore it with each passing day!

by yakaman, Friday, May 10, 2013, 06:53 (4005 days ago) @ ZackDark

I thought the same - the Traveler came to save us, but instead actually started the whole thing. What if the Traveler is their creation - some sort of beacon?

Or, maybe it is some ancient automated artifact of a disappeared race that used to scout systems throughout the galaxy and our enemies just trail along, kinda like hobos jumping a derelict train or something.

Or, maybe our enemies are clients of the Traveler, each in their own turn found by the Traveler, and overrun and assimilated by its agents for some mysterious purpose.

Or, the Traveler is an advantage sent back through time to us (from us) in advance of the coming war.

Or, the enemies are all just refugees running from some galactic scourge, and the traveler is...ugh.

Shit. Who knows?

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:46 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Destiny#page=story

Under frontier in Mars and Venus it says "Awaiting reports from the vanguard" While this is probably holding text until they are filled in, it would be quite cool if these planets were to be explored from scratch in game by players/groups/guilds of "vanguard" rank before they were accessible. i.e. safe landing zones scouted out through exploring/trial and error with the info being filled in by the community on places to go outside the main story locations.

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:52 (4006 days ago) @ Mr Danger

Neat idea, but I can see that aggravating non-Vanguard players.

by Mr Danger, Scotland, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 16:02 (4006 days ago) @ biggy
edited by Mr Danger, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 16:09

True, it doesn't seem likely, though it could be tied to factions with each one having different maps of the worlds and competing for interesting areas or artifacts, and not everyone will want to be an explorer. I could also see it being a small side quest type part of the game apart from the main area/story. It would be one way to convey just how huge a planet or moon really is without having to create an entire planet/moon by hand 7 times, haha.

There has to be something special about landing zones so its either unsafe everywhere else or so much was destroyed that vast areas of planets are just slag or glass maybe;) and therefore uninteresting.

by zumphry ⌂ @, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 16:04 (4006 days ago) @ Mr Danger

http://www.bungie.net/en-us/Destiny#page=story

Under frontier in Mars and Venus it says "Awaiting reports from the vanguard" While this is probably holding text until they are filled in, it would be quite cool if these planets were to be explored from scratch in game by players/groups/guilds of "vanguard" rank before they were accessible. i.e. safe landing zones scouted out through exploring/trial and error with the info being filled in by the community on places to go outside the main story locations.

Yeah! And going back to this discussion, maybe Vanguards are another player class/playstyle where you're more of an explorer/ODST-type (more willing to fight entrenched enemies, reverse-Firefight style) than a regular soldier or a rouge/thief in regular missions? Like Scouts ("vanguard" usually meaning "leading units of an army" and all), or something?

I mean, who wants to sneak onto the Moon with me? We can smoke Space Cigarettes and laugh at the losers who won't join us.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 15:56 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

Fallen run in packs, led by an individual Captain. There is no denying a Captain's might; they are the fiercest of the Fallen. There is this sense of tattered nobility to them. You can see it in the way they carry themselves. They think they're better than us. They believe that Earth belongs to them.

In that case I have some ammo the belongs to them. Look forward to giving it back.

. . . No . . .

We look forward to giving it back.

#AreWeThereYet?

Character classes

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 16:14 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

Warlocks can kill you with their brain.

The rifle also comes in handy.

Character classes

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 18:08 (4006 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Warlocks can kill you with their brain.

The rifle also comes in handy.

"...but discovering truth has always driven you into the unknown."
I'm liking these Warlocks more and more.

Character classes

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 21:22 (4006 days ago) @ Mr Daax

The first Titans built the Wall, and gave their lives to defend it. Now, you stand in the same high place, steadfast and sure, protecting all who shelter in your shadow. You hail from a long line of heroes, forged from strength and sacrifice.

Heh, the Titan description reminds me of the Night's Watch from Game of Thrones. I'm really digging the new Titan model. Light blue armor with a leather ammo belt and sweet looking black rifle. I think the colors in the other two make them look kind of bleh.

Character classes

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:27 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

If I had to choose now, I'd probably go for an Awoken Warlock. Like, is that even human? :D

Robo-Gandalf all the way!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 10, 2013, 07:49 (4005 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Character classes

by Jillybean, Friday, May 10, 2013, 08:46 (4005 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I am ALL about the warlock, baby

Character classes

by yakaman, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:27 (4005 days ago) @ Jillybean

Me too. After all, I've played a Titan since 2001. Well, and maybe a little Hunter in ODST. I want to try a little complimentary/support game-play in a FPS.

I hope it works well. And that I look cool, of course.

Character classes

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:30 (4005 days ago) @ yakaman
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:37

Me too. After all, I've played a Titan since 2001. Well, and maybe a little Hunter in ODST. I want to try a little complimentary/support game-play in a FPS.

Do 'em right, and you can murder away as good as any of those meathead soldier types. ;)

I wonder what kind of powers we're going to see in Destiny - or if that's even the right way to think of it. Something Borderlands? Bioshock? Mass Effect? Syndicate? Deus Ex:HR? Other games I've not played? How will they work together? Will you be committing to a role/playstyle based on the character, or will that depend on how you build the character?

Character classes

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:37 (4005 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Do 'em right, and you can murder away as good as any of those meathead soldier types. ;)

I wonder what kind of powers we're going to see in Destiny - or if that's even the right way to think of it. Something Borderlands? Bioshock? Mass Effect? Syndicate? Deus Ex:HR? Other games I've not played? How will they work together? Will you be committing to a role/playstyle based on the character, or will that depend on how you build the character?

I'm really hoping for Bioshock-esque powers, those powers made me giggle and laugh maniacally, which is a feeling I'd like in Destiny.

Character classes

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:38 (4005 days ago) @ Xenos

Yeah, those are some fun ones fo sho.

Oh, should probably include what we've seen in Bungie games before (lulz). Like equipment in Halo 3 and armor mods in Reach.

So, wait, if the Traveler is protecting Earth... DESTINY: ARMOR LOCK'S REVENGE?

Character classes

by yakaman, Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:05 (4005 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Yeah, those are some fun ones fo sho.

Oh, should probably include what we've seen in Bungie games before (lulz). Like equipment in Halo 3 and armor mods in Reach.

So, wait, if the Traveler is protecting Earth... DESTINY: ARMOR LOCK'S REVENGE?

Good lord, no.

I hope there will be variants within each class, like (for Warlock) offensive, defensive, healing, buffing...hell, even softer stuff like 'academic' which might allow for better decryption of ancient or alien data...or whatever.

I also hope for tree/build "differentiation" or "separation" that makes build choices important and difficult (but not impossible) to cross-specialize. Give my build choices gravity and inertia.

Really, I just want the implementation to be as deep as can be.

Character classes

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:54 (4005 days ago) @ Jillybean

I have a feeling I'll prefer the Warlock for raiding, the Hunter for solo exploring, and the Titan for competitive multiplayer.

Picture of the Tower

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 16:33 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

I really like this new picture of what I assume is the Tower:

[image]

Especially with the hangar on the side.

Picture of the Tower

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 18:12 (4006 days ago) @ Xenos

It is like one of the towers from Halo Reach (New Alexandria) with a Star Wars Galactic Battle Cruiser parked on top of it. :D

Picture of the Tower

by Ser Jergen, Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:54 (4006 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Wouldn't it be nifty if the Tower extended to almost outer space. That looks like what this could be that or its night. Or it could be some other Guardian HQ.

Picture of the Tower

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 09, 2013, 20:56 (4006 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

Wouldn't it kindda be blocked by the Traveler, though?

I'm under the impression the Tower is right under it. Am I crazy or has it really been implied so?

(Btw, I made some research and turns out Enceladus is bigger than my state. I don't think the Traveler in those concepts fits, unfortunately.)

Picture of the Tower

by Ser Jergen, Friday, May 10, 2013, 08:30 (4005 days ago) @ ZackDark

It was pointed out to me later that there is clearly some greenery (plants) on the top of this picture so it definitely can't be in space so it must be night time. So maybe its not as high as I thought lol.

Greenery...high...I see what you did there

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:06 (4005 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

The Tower: it's the Destiny pothead hotspot. Even more fun on your Xbox 420

Oh...wait...you mean that wasn't what you meant?

Greenery...high...I see what you did there

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, May 10, 2013, 10:26 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

When we were talking about moving to Colorado, lots of people assumed it's because we were smokers. We aren't. Then we leave Colorado right before they legalize the stuff.

/bluerunner story

Glyphs

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, May 10, 2013, 13:57 (4005 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

Anyone else notice these?

[image]
[image]

I'm thinking written language, since they're all different.

Glyphs

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:18 (4005 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

Anyone else notice these?

[image]
[image]

I'm thinking written language, since they're all different.

Interesting, I thought the top image was part of the preorder poster, but apparently not! They've had a decal of the bottom image for sale, though.

Glyphs

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 10, 2013, 14:31 (4005 days ago) @ TTL Demag0gue

I'm really hoping/looking forward to having to translate this stuff for secrets/eggs/hidden story content!

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 10, 2013, 16:25 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

Who's skull…

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 10, 2013, 21:00 (4005 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

… is this Hunter wearing? And is that a bullet hole exiting out the back of the eye socket? Also note the spine(?) used as armor on the same arm. This Hunter's got style!

[image]

Whose skull…

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 07:54 (4004 days ago) @ Ragashingo

… is this Hunter wearing? And is that a bullet hole exiting out the back of the eye socket? Also note the spine(?) used as armor on the same arm. This Hunter's got style!

I updated your image so that it links to the high-res version on Bungie.net. Can see a little more detail there. And I'm going with a Fallen skull; you can see where the "horns" have been lopped off.

Who's skull…

by Mix ⌂ @, New Braunfels, Texas, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 09:02 (4004 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I would say either Fallen or another form of indigenous life on maybe Venus... Could turn out to be interesting.

On a side note, if Destiny doesn't have wildlife roaming the planets I will e fairly disappointed.

Dibs.

by Bones @, The Last City, Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 08:18 (4004 days ago) @ Ser Jergen

[image]
This is now Bones' character. Do not steal or you shall face tragic and horrible consequences. What I'm trying to say is, I will kill you. You will be dead.

. . .

From these images alone, I'm fairly certain I've fallen completely in love with the character designs and art style. Dear God, Bungie... the color, detail, and texture of each model is simply astounding. *swoons*

On another note, are the Fallen Dregs growing new arms? The small canister tanks below each armpit might be evidence.

Dibs.

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 13:44 (4004 days ago) @ Bones

On another note, are the Fallen Dregs growing new arms? The small canister tanks below each armpit might be evidence.

Woah, I didn't notice the canisters/arm stubs. Either that, or they're a "lower" form of Fallen who never fully developed the extra set.

Hmmm...

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 22:15 (4004 days ago) @ Beorn

Woah, I didn't notice the canisters/arm stubs. Either that, or they're a "lower" form of Fallen who never fully developed the extra set.

My guesses: if they aren't a lower form of Fallen like you said, maybe these are the females, or, what I think is a cooler idea, they are some sort of shamed Fallen who have had their two arms removed and are forced to fight on the front-lines as cannon fodder. Maybe their form of shame is to be condemned to die looking like a human, ie, with two arms instead of four.

Nice Observation!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 00:06 (4004 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I didn't want to believe it at first, but looking at a Dreg and Vandal side by side… Yeah, there's something going on with the arms. My (random) guess is that they're younger, more inexperienced Fallen who's extra arms haven't grown in yet.

I also find it interesting that, so far, every enemy looks dangerous. No Grunts to be found in Destiny, yet.

Hmmm...

by zumphry ⌂ @, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 00:32 (4003 days ago) @ Mr Daax

My guesses: if they aren't a lower form of Fallen like you said, maybe these are the females, or, what I think is a cooler idea, they are some sort of shamed Fallen who have had their two arms removed and are forced to fight on the front-lines as cannon fodder. Maybe their form of shame is to be condemned to die looking like a human, ie, with two arms instead of four.

Yeah, I think your "shamed" theory could work with their description:

These relentless thieves seem driven by desperation and rage.

Especially the "human part", in relation to Fallen Captains:

There is this sense of tattered nobility to them. You can see it in the way they carry themselves. They think they're better than us. They believe that Earth belongs to them.

So, yeah, I really hope you're right and that they were forced to have their arms cut off as retribution (either through being a lower class, or because they stole from a higher class), desperate because they're cannon fodder, and angry because they're been reduced to canon fodder/four armed losers.

...or to go with the whole "alien pirate" thing The Fallen have, they only have two arms because those stubs are sockets for robo-arms/Space Pegs, and they were drafted because they needed more thieves on the USS Scurvy Dog!

but really yours sounds cooler and i hope that's similar to whatever the in-universe explanation is instead of some lame "oh we needed fallen without four arms" cop-out

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread