What are you listening to in preparation?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 09:01 (4089 days ago)

Outside of all of your favorite Marty hits?

I have to admit I've been listening to Outro by M83 from Hurry Up, We're Dreaming on repeat.

I fell in love with it when the album came out and after Astronomic was shared (probably got it from HBO) I can't help but associate this song with the epic grand universe making that Bungie indulges itself in.

I'm the king of my own land.
Facing tempests of dust, I'll fight until the end.
Creatures of my dreams raise up and dance with me!
Now and forever, I'm your king!

by Chaos, Burlington, Vermont, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 09:37 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I've been listening to a ton of Thrice. Like way too much. Outside of that I'm enjoying the new Coheed and Cambria album, which is weird because I never really listened to them before this new record came out. And as of right this second I'm listening to Circa Survive.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 12:25 (4089 days ago) @ Chaos

I've been listening to a ton of Thrice. Like way too much. Outside of that I'm enjoying the new Coheed and Cambria album, which is weird because I never really listened to them before this new record came out. And as of right this second I'm listening to Circa Survive.

I <3 Thrice. It's hard to think of a band that puts more honest feeling into their music.

Coheed - I think they're fantastic artists. Brilliant playing and a great singer. But all their songs which I've heard were pretty cryptic - I just don't know what they're about.

Circa Survive, I regrettably haven't gotten around to trying out yet. I suspect I'd like them.

For my part, I've decided to finally catch up on buying the Halo soundtracks I don't have. Turns out I'm missing quite a few. :(

Quite a bit actually *IMG*

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 09:58 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I have to admit I've been listening to Outro by M83 from Hurry Up, We're Dreaming on repeat.

Such an addictive album! Mostly R&B, K-Pop and EDM for me. If anyone's interested in checking out some of my recent plays/buys. :)

[image]

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 10:37 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Well I wasn't really thinking about it until you brought it up, but I guess this:

Death is the Road to Awe.

Adagio in D Minor.

Devils Dance Floor.

and

Birds.

Basically it's these on repeat.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 14:26 (4089 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Death is the road to awe is a JAM

Clint Mansell knows how to throw down. The Moon soundtrack is one of the best I've heard.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 15:32 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

For sure! Mansell is one of my favorite modern composers!

by spidersVise ⌂, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 11:31 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

http://www.last.fm/user/gunluva

Lots of wubs, lately.

by GrimBrother One, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 13:49 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Sigur Ros
The American Dollar
Hammock
Explosions in the Sky
Saxon Shore
Despite Distance (our own stuff; shameless, lol)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 14:23 (4089 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

Ok, I have to know, which ETIS, that's my favorite band.

by GrimBrother One, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:54 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The last one I listened to was "Your Hand in Mine", but that's of course the essential EITS song, lol. There's a ton I love though.

If you like them, definitely check out some of the other stuff, especially "Twelve Days Awake" by The American Dollar, and "Breathturn" by Hammock.

Also, our band (Despite Distance) has been compared to EITS on more than one occasion; our stuff is on NoiseTrade for free if you are interested. Here are a couple of vids too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BY02ngKqu7Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VXbMARgsEI

<3
Grim

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 03:05 (4088 days ago) @ GrimBrother One

Awesome, I'll give it a thorough look. My initial thoughts are quite posi.

Reminds me of Fourteen Nights At Sea another solid atmospheric post-rock (whatever genre that is) band

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 15:03 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'm pretty much just constantly listening to The Shins. Especially from Chutes Too Narrow.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:21 (4089 days ago) @ Xenos

I'm pretty much just constantly listening to The Shins. Especially from Chutes Too Narrow.

Its vinyl sleeve is one of the few we have framed on our wall in the living room.

Awesome! Why don't I have mine framed?!? *NM*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:25 (4089 days ago) @ Leviathan

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:28 (4089 days ago) @ Leviathan

Its vinyl sleeve is one of the few we have framed on our wall in the living room.

great record.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:40 (4089 days ago) @ Kermit

One of Maddie's favorites. We also got 2001 OST, an old Star Trek audio story (sweet cover), and an Elliott Smith framed. We plan to circulate them out from time to time...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:49 (4089 days ago) @ Leviathan

One of Maddie's favorites. We also got 2001 OST, an old Star Trek audio story (sweet cover), and an Elliott Smith framed. We plan to circulate them out from time to time...

Ah, one of the most memorable shows I've seen was Mr. Smith at the 9:30 Club in DC right after Figure 8 came out.

by Hedge ⌂, Australia, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 15:52 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Coheed and Cambria
Crystal Castles
Johnny Cash
Noisia
Nick Cave
Swans
Janelle Monae
Opeth

Just for starters.

-Hedge.

by kanbo @, Seattle, WA, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 17:17 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:10 (4088 days ago) @ kanbo

I'm still in awe listening to the parts of that track that were never used in game.

I keep telling myself it's not Pink Floyd during some sections.

What was it ever meant for Marty?

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:34 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The top players as of late for relaxation, introspection, and singing along:

-My Morning Jacket (Z and Circutial, and the singer Jim James' new solo album)
-Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds (Dig Lazarus Dig)
-M. Ward (Hold Time)
-Connor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band (Deep South)
-Blitzen Trapper
-The Kinks (Arthur and the Rise and Fall of the British Empire)
-Does Mitch Hedberg fall into this category?

For furious, energetic art-making and daydreaming:

-Dark Knight Rises OST
-Clint Mansell
-Tron Legacy OST
-Phillip Glass
-Nobuo Uematsu
-Doctor Who OST (season 1 and 2)
-Muse
-And some guy named Marty O-something

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 20:28 (4089 days ago) @ Leviathan

Doctor Who?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 18:56 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots

Amadeus ST

The Beatles - Revolver (especially Tomorrow Never Knows)

Ah, Revolver

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, February 15, 2013, 22:38 (4087 days ago) @ Kermit

I need to listen to it more often.
Thanks for reminding me, Kerm!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, February 14, 2013, 19:26 (4089 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Not listening to it in preparation, but I'm still quite stuck on the new Deftones album. It's so good. I keep going back to it and listening to nothing else for days at a time, only to move on for a few days, then go right back to it.

All I know is I'm very excited to hear something new from Marty.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Friday, February 15, 2013, 09:14 (4088 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Honestly, above all my normal music, I've been rediscovering Jim Croce.

So few songs that were all quite good, and a couple that are just deep and fulfilling. Gone too soon Jim.

Kpop and stuff...

by RC ⌂, UK, Friday, February 15, 2013, 18:27 (4088 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Like, a lot of kpop though, seriously. I've bought 14 albums worth over the last year. Ok, one was a mini-album, and another was a compilation, but still.

Basically, if Gangnam Style is the only South Korean music you know, you don't know nothin'. For such a small country, I find them amazingly productive with highly listenable tracks.

Actually, a bit of J-music too (AKB48, lol!). And lots of electro, techno, EDM, trance and some House. Sometimes revisit my old staples of metal (System of Down!) and various colours of rock. A few soundtracks sometimes come up too.

Kpop and stuff...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Friday, February 15, 2013, 19:44 (4088 days ago) @ RC

Like, a lot of kpop though, seriously. I've bought 14 albums worth over the last year. Ok, one was a mini-album, and another was a compilation, but still.

Just curious, what albums have you purchased? :)

Oh, you know...

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 07:09 (4087 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Lots of Girls' Generation. Only got into kpop just over a year ago (shortly after 'The Boys' came out) and I didn't buy anything for several months. So I had to play a bit of catch up:

• Girls' Generation - The First Album
  • Girls' Generation - Run Devil Run
  • Girls' Generation - Girls' Generation (Japan 1st Album)
  • Girls' Generation - The Boys
  • Girls' Generation-TaeTiSeo - Twinkle
  • Girls' Generation - Girls' Generation 2 - Girls & Peace
  • Girls' Generation - I Got A Boy
  • KARA - Girls' Forever
  • (Various Artists) - SM Best Album 3*
  • EXO-M - MAMA**

*This is 89 songs over 6 CDs - from various SM signed artists. Some are obviously repeats from the GG stuff I have, but there is stuff like Super Junior, BoA, F(x), SHINee, TVXQ and some other ones I'm not as familiar with.

**This was really for my sister though.

Oh, you know...

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 10:46 (4087 days ago) @ RC

Lots of Girls' Generation. Only got into kpop just over a year ago (shortly after 'The Boys' came out) and I didn't buy anything for several months. So I had to play a bit of catch up:

Oh wow, same for me too! I'll give you a rundown of my physical collection as well. :)

Girls' Generation -
First Japanese Album (CD+DVD)
The Boys (Korean)
The Boys (U.S.)
Mr. Taxi (Repackage)
Flower Power (EP)
Girls and Peace (Deluxe First Press Limited Edition)
I Got A Boy (Group Version)

IU - Last Fantasy
IU - Real
f(x) - Electric Shock
SHINee - Sherlock
4minute - Volume Up
EXO-K - MAMA
FIESTAR - Venus
Hello Venus - Mini Album Vol. 1+2

I like all the bands you like

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 09:23 (4086 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Oh wow, same for me too! I'll give you a rundown of my physical collection as well. :)

I think we mentioned this before actually... I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole, but I don't write for a fansite ;)

f(x) - Electric Shock
SHINee - Sherlock
4minute - Volume Up

Mmmm. So tempting.

Kpop and stuff...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, February 15, 2013, 22:59 (4087 days ago) @ RC

Sometimes revisit my old staples of metal (System of Down!) and various colours of rock.

Toxicity is the soundtrack to my high school years.

More wood for their fires... loud neighbours...

by RC ⌂, UK, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 07:29 (4087 days ago) @ stabbim

Damn. Just gonna go relisten to that whole album now.

Last minute required Destiny listening.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 22:56 (4086 days ago) @ kidtsunami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNxY_8sHOjg

It wouldn't hurt to play Coastal Highway and get a whiff of that awesome 2009 Destiny marketing poster toward the start of the level, either.

HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE HYPE!!!!!

HYPE!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, February 16, 2013, 23:12 (4086 days ago) @ uberfoop

I watch Cosmos sometimes just for the music. Coincidentally, I've decided that as the first Human to step foot on Mars, this will be one of the first songs I will play on the planet. Second only to something Girls' Generation or Martin O'Donnell, of course. :)

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread