Character Customization

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:04 (4005 days ago)

I started thinking about character customization and how in depth it will be for us. There are the three classes and three races and then gender to choose from, but I wonder if our choices go any deeper than that, apart from armor/weapons/capes/cloaks. I'm thinking along the lines of being able to customize body features, a la Elder Scrolls or any similiar customization system.

This then got me thinking, what about the Awoken and Exo races? The Awoken customization seems like it would be similar to the human customization, except with blue skin and white hair. But I want to be an Exo, and I am really curious what our customization options for them will be. Different robot bodies? Parts? There was that robo-sentry-like character in the ps4 reveal trailer. Could that have been another Exo with a different style body? Judging by the lack of cloth, it could be a Titan. Hmmm, what do you guys think?

Character Customization

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 10:42 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I started thinking about character customization and how in depth it will be for us. There are the three classes and three races and then gender to choose from, but I wonder if our choices go any deeper than that, apart from armor/weapons/capes/cloaks. I'm thinking along the lines of being able to customize body features, a la Elder Scrolls or any similiar customization system.

This then got me thinking, what about the Awoken and Exo races? The Awoken customization seems like it would be similar to the human customization, except with blue skin and white hair. But I want to be an Exo, and I am really curious what our customization options for them will be. Different robot bodies? Parts? There was that robo-sentry-like character in the ps4 reveal trailer. Could that have been another Exo with a different style body? Judging by the lack of cloth, it could be a Titan. Hmmm, what do you guys think?

The GDC talk had a bit about keeping character customization from stalling players. Watch the Clueless Gamer for Skyrim for a great example of this--Conan just wants to play Skyrim, but he's stuck customizing every crazy feature about a character, when all of that customization is completely meaningless to him.

If Destiny only has 3 classes and 3 "races", I think that is a smart move in terms of condensing the customization experience into something simple and effective. Armor customization will let you micro-manage your appearance, but that doesn't keep you stuck in a lengthy character creation process.

Character Customization

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:25 (4005 days ago) @ petetheduck

The GDC talk had a bit about keeping character customization from stalling players. Watch the Clueless Gamer for Skyrim for a great example of this--Conan just wants to play Skyrim, but he's stuck customizing every crazy feature about a character, when all of that customization is completely meaningless to him.

If Destiny only has 3 classes and 3 "races", I think that is a smart move in terms of condensing the customization experience into something simple and effective. Armor customization will let you micro-manage your appearance, but that doesn't keep you stuck in a lengthy character creation process.

Mr Buttons, lol.

I agree that there is such a thing as too much customization, and I don't think Destiny needs nearly the amount of customization as Skyrim. However, if there is an option to not wear a helmet, or to wear the cool facemask like in the concept art, it would be a little weird to have only "generic male head" and "generic female head" as your options. Or "generic Exo head."

Character Customization

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:47 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I agree that there is such a thing as too much customization, and I don't think Destiny needs nearly the amount of customization as Skyrim. However, if there is an option to not wear a helmet, or to wear the cool facemask like in the concept art, it would be a little weird to have only "generic male head" and "generic female head" as your options. Or "generic Exo head."

Yeah I am fairly confident there will be SOME character customization aside from race/class/gender, but the feeling I get I agree with Pete, I think they are trying to limit it. I would imagine it'll be pretty simple. I did notice, and it is concept art, so it's hard to say for sure, but it looks like there are titans of different physical builds:

[image]
[image]

Character Customization

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:55 (4005 days ago) @ Xenos

That looks pretty similar to the difference between male and female Spartans

Good point

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 11:55 (4005 days ago) @ petetheduck

I didn't think about that, that definitely could be all it is.

Are there male and female Exos?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:09 (4005 days ago) @ petetheduck

I am legitimately curious.

Correct.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:21 (4005 days ago) @ petetheduck

Correct.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 12:53 (4005 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

The Exo in that new render is female.

Are you sure it's an Exo? Seems it could be any race with a helmet on.

Whoops.

by ncsuDuncan @, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 13:12 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

The Exo in that new render is female.

Are you sure it's an Exo? Seems it could be any race with a helmet on.

Whoops, I meant Titan. Not Exo.

Character Customization

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 13:40 (4005 days ago) @ Mr Daax

However, if there is an option to not wear a helmet, or to wear the cool facemask like in the concept art, it would be a little weird to have only "generic male head" and "generic female head" as your options. Or "generic Exo head."

During the GDC presentation, Staten and Barrett talked about tattoos, makeup, hair, etc. I take this as confirmation that we're going to get at least a World of Warcraft level of customization for player appearances.

Man, loading the video just to find that link makes me want to watch it again. Whelp, there goes my Saturday night! ;)

Character Customization

by petetheduck, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 13:45 (4005 days ago) @ Beorn

However, if there is an option to not wear a helmet, or to wear the cool facemask like in the concept art, it would be a little weird to have only "generic male head" and "generic female head" as your options. Or "generic Exo head."

During the GDC presentation, Staten and Barrett talked about tattoos, makeup, hair, etc. I take this as confirmation that we're going to get at least a World of Warcraft level of customization for player appearances.

Man, loading the video just to find that link makes me want to watch it again. Whelp, there goes my Saturday night! ;)

That stuff could easily be exclusive to NPCs.

Character Customization

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 08:46 (4004 days ago) @ petetheduck

That stuff could easily be exclusive to NPCs.

Could be. Except that the first thing Chris says at the timecode in that link is, "So, when players are creating these heroes…"

Character Customization

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, May 11, 2013, 19:10 (4004 days ago) @ petetheduck

The character creation screens from Skyrim or Mass Effect (or any game with one that's in-depth like that) are easily some of my favorite options from said game.

And both of those games allow you to skip over them and choose from a handful of presets. I don't see how anyone could be stalled out with that kind of option included.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread