Xbox 360 silver

by Cpt.cavebear, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 03:45 (4004 days ago)

As I said I am a solo person and there for only have silver for Xbox live, will this mean I can't play it due to the fact Xbox silver doesn't have multiplayer stuff or will I be able to play on my own throughout the game or will I have to get gold ?
Please tell me what you think they will do and if any of you can tell me the official answer to what I will have available with silver.
Thanks for reading.

: ) CCB

Xbox 360 silver

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 07:26 (4004 days ago) @ Cpt.cavebear

I think since it is "always on" you would need a gold account.

But honestly, being able to play from disc "offline" is something they have not specifically addressed yet.

Xbox 360 silver

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 00:56 (4000 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I think since it is "always on" you would need a gold account.

Why? Silver users are also "online". They have a friends list.

But honestly, being able to play from disc "offline" is something they have not specifically addressed yet.

Yes, they have. They've said you need to be online. So if you put the disc in and yank out the ethernet cable, you can't play.

They have also said that this doesn't mean you have to play multiplayer or coop, and that you can play solo in a single-player campaign.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of secondary login specific to Destiny, the same way EA has their separate login system in Mass Effect 3. The difference would be that while you only need to do that login in ME3 to access DLC or online multiplayer, in Destiny you'll need to do it to play at all, even the solo campaign-- but you can still play the solo campaign without enabling the kind of drop-in, drop-out coop that the game seems to have been designed specifically for.

So your internet connection doesn't need to be good enough to host or participate in an online game; it just needs to be stable enough so that you can login whenever you want to play.

As for the specifics of the implementation, little is known. It may work like SimCity, in that losing your connection stops your game. Or perhaps it only requires login to start a game. We'll have to wait and see.

But in either case, given that Destiny will be on Xbox 360, the new Xbox, and also PS4, requiring Gold for Xbox users would create an uneven playing field between Xbox and PlayStation owners, because access to PSN is free. I very much doubt Bungie would do that, or that Microsoft would attempt to require it.

For online multiplayer, I'm sure the requirements would be the same as current games for each platform, where Xbox users need Gold and PS get access free.

Xbox 360 silver

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 15:51 (3999 days ago) @ narcogen

Let's just hope their secondary login infrastructure performs better than ME3's. It was seriously dicey there for a while. I still don't recall the last game I've played that had issues to that degree. The frequency with which the service was unavailable in the first six months post-launch was ridiculous. Makes me slightly worried for Destiny, if it does in fact require such a service to be able to play at all.

~M

Xbox 360 silver

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, May 17, 2013, 01:05 (3999 days ago) @ narcogen

Yes, they have. They've said you need to be online. So if you put the disc in and yank out the ethernet cable, you can't play.

They have also said that this doesn't mean you have to play multiplayer or coop, and that you can play solo in a single-player campaign.

I'm guessing there will be some kind of secondary login specific to Destiny, the same way EA has their separate login system in Mass Effect 3. The difference would be that while you only need to do that login in ME3 to access DLC or online multiplayer, in Destiny you'll need to do it to play at all, even the solo campaign-- but you can still play the solo campaign without enabling the kind of drop-in, drop-out coop that the game seems to have been designed specifically for.

Man, I'm all for trying new things, but I must admit it's going to feel weird playing a Bungie game that just plain doesn't allow people to play unless they're connected to the internet. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but I'm really curious about the details. E3 can't come soon enough.

Xbox 360 silver

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, May 12, 2013, 07:38 (4004 days ago) @ Cpt.cavebear

That's a fine question there. After all, Silver accounts do count as online, but is not able to play with others. So, on one hand, it is online, on the other it is not.

Anyone from Bungie care to enlighten us?

Xbox 360 silver

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 08:11 (4004 days ago) @ Cpt.cavebear

As I said I am a solo person and there for only have silver for Xbox Live

Aren't we all solo persons when you think about it?

But seriously, I think the new Xbox is capable of offline play, but I don't know if destiny will have a mode like that. We will see!

Xbox 360 silver

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, May 20, 2013, 10:14 (3996 days ago) @ Axelrod vK

As I said I am a solo person and there for only have silver for Xbox Live

Aren't we all solo persons when you think about it?

not everyone

[image]

Xbox 360 silver

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 09:14 (4000 days ago) @ Cpt.cavebear

Nothing official yet. I'm hoping that you can play the campaign via co-op on a silver account. But based on how seamless everything in the game is its hard to tell what you'll need. I'm guessing this will be addressed at e3. So I guess we just have to wait.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread