Fallen Dregs teased in school, called "two arms" by bullies

by petetheduck, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 15:17 (4003 days ago)

Bungie could easily get away with anything using the excuse 'they're aliens!' ..but I'm curious why the Fallen Dregs only have two arms.

They do appear to have some sort of tubes where the extra pair of arms should attach. I almost wonder, with the way nobility factors in to the Fallen race, if maybe Dregs had their arms removed.

It could be voluntary--join a House, give up your extra arms as a sign of servitude.

Or maybe there's distinct social classes and anyone that isn't of a particular "bloodline" gets their extra arms removed at birth to 'keep them in their place'.

Of course, some Fallen could just be born with two arms while others are born with four, but it doesn't really make sense, especially given that only the lowest rank of Fallen have two.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 17:26 (4003 days ago) @ petetheduck

Cool ideas! Bones brought this up recently, and a couple people weighed in on it. I like that your ideas factor in the hinted at nobility of the Fallen. As much as I like my idea, I think yours are cooler. I just wonder what they do with the amputated arms...

We don't appreciate appendagism here...

by biggy ⌂ @, Tinseltown, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 18:01 (4003 days ago) @ petetheduck

So I'm going to have to ask you to stop inciting appendagist views. ;)

Interesting theories, I've been wondering about that too.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Sunday, May 12, 2013, 19:35 (4003 days ago) @ petetheduck

Bungie could easily get away with anything using the excuse 'they're aliens!' ..but I'm curious why the Fallen Dregs only have two arms.

They do appear to have some sort of tubes where the extra pair of arms should attach. I almost wonder, with the way nobility factors in to the Fallen race, if maybe Dregs had their arms removed.

It could be voluntary--join a House, give up your extra arms as a sign of servitude.

Or maybe there's distinct social classes and anyone that isn't of a particular "bloodline" gets their extra arms removed at birth to 'keep them in their place'.

Of course, some Fallen could just be born with two arms while others are born with four, but it doesn't really make sense, especially given that only the lowest rank of Fallen have two.

Also, it looks like the Dreg's horns have been either removed or haven't yet grown to their full size. It has some kind of protuberance on its back as well. The different classes certainly appear to be the same species though.

My first thought...

by RC ⌂, UK, Monday, May 13, 2013, 11:28 (4002 days ago) @ petetheduck

...was that the two additional arms were surgically/magically attached after you defeat some significant foe - from that foe.

Ya know how some earth cultures have thought that by drinking the blood or cannibalism or by using some totem you could absorb the power of your defeated enemies? Well, what if the Fallen take their enemies power in a more literal sense?

My first thought...

by petetheduck, Monday, May 13, 2013, 12:03 (4002 days ago) @ RC

...was that the two additional arms were surgically/magically attached after you defeat some significant foe - from that foe.

Ya know how some earth cultures have thought that by drinking the blood or cannibalism or by using some totem you could absorb the power of your defeated enemies? Well, what if the Fallen take their enemies power in a more literal sense?

Unless their foes are other Fallen, that wouldn't work--the two pairs of arms feature the same hands (most visible in the Fallen Captain image). Plus, attaching/growing arms? That's some Tigerman stuff.

I also don't think the Fallen would want any part of a human attached to them anyway. If they think they're better than us, I don't think they think we have any power they'd want to consume in the first place.

My first thought...

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 10:28 (4001 days ago) @ petetheduck

Unless their foes are other Fallen,

What if they are?

Plus, attaching/growing arms? That's some Tigerman stuff.

Souls rushing out of bodies.

My first thought...

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 14, 2013, 11:28 (4001 days ago) @ RC

Unless their foes are other Fallen,

What if they are?

Plus, attaching/growing arms? That's some Tigerman stuff.

Souls rushing out of bodies.

And time-traveling robots, yeah. I could see limb absorption via a race like the Hive (and Flood), but I just can't personally see it fitting the Fallen.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread