Playstation Magazine article

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 17:35 (3999 days ago)

Here. Thanks to Father Franklin over at the b.net forums. The forum portion of the Bungie app is pretty cool!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 19:13 (3999 days ago) @ Mr Daax

It's a good article, but it feels about 3 months old. I wonder why they waited until this month to release it

Maybe they mis-filed it?

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 19:33 (3999 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

by ncsuDuncan @, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 20:54 (3999 days ago) @ Xenos

It's a good article, but it feels about 3 months old. I wonder why they waited until this month to release it

Maybe there was a pre-E3 press event at Bungie this week and that was all they could print that wasn't embargoed?

All I know is that it looks like Nathan Fillion visited the studio yesterday:
https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/334727560057475073
https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/334734077502554113

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 16, 2013, 21:07 (3999 days ago) @ ncsuDuncan

Maybe there was a pre-E3 press event at Bungie this week and that was all they could print that wasn't embargoed?

All I know is that it looks like Nathan Fillion visited the studio yesterday:
https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/334727560057475073
https://twitter.com/NathanFillion/status/334734077502554113

Hmm, good point. Here's hoping Nathan Fillion did/will do voice work for Destiny.

by Malagate @, Sea of Tranquility, Friday, May 17, 2013, 04:36 (3999 days ago) @ Xenos

I would only be shocked if he (or the rest of the Firefly dudes) wasn't.

I don't remember reading this anywhere else...

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 17, 2013, 07:08 (3999 days ago) @ Mr Daax

When using the Warlocks abilities, it feels like punching someone in the face with a piece of the sun.

...but this makes me giddy with excitement!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 17, 2013, 18:15 (3998 days ago) @ Mr Daax
edited by Ragashingo, Friday, May 17, 2013, 18:23

Yeah, it sounds awesome. It was said somewhere else but I don't ever keep good track of who said what where. That was the power I had in mind when the Warlock released the Tribbles. As far as I know it's the only power even hinted at so far though. :(

by urk, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 09:10 (3997 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah, it sounds awesome. It was said somewhere else but I don't ever keep good track of who said what where. That was the power I had in mind when the Warlock released the Tribbles. As far as I know it's the only power even hinted at so far though. :(

It's all from our February reveal event. We danced for about two hours, covering a range of topics. We rolled out Jones, Staten, Barry, Butcher, Hao, Ellis, Marty, Parsons, and myself, showed off a ton of art, tech, tools, in-engine images, and a brief, in-game first person perspective overview of one of Destiny's environments. I've yet to see anyone fully encapsulate all of the details, so it's not surprising to see this article hit three months on and still contain new information. In the same vein, pretty much all the "new" news and details that we've peppered the mail sack with since February were also covered at the reveal event. Many, much to DeeJ's delight, were paraphrased quotes direct from the team that were simply never published.

;)

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 09:39 (3997 days ago) @ urk

It's all from our February reveal event. We danced for about two hours, covering a range of topics. We rolled out Jones, Staten, Barry, Butcher, Hao, Ellis, Marty, Parsons, and myself, showed off a ton of art, tech, tools, in-engine images, and a brief, in-game first person perspective overview of one of Destiny's environments. I've yet to see anyone fully encapsulate all of the details, so it's not surprising to see this article hit three months on and still contain new information. In the same vein, pretty much all the "new" news and details that we've peppered the mail sack with since February were also covered at the reveal event. Many, much to DeeJ's delight, were paraphrased quotes direct from the team that were simply never published.

;)

So we haven't actually heard anything "new" since February? Oh, you guys are good. E3 can't come soon enough!

by urk, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 10:16 (3997 days ago) @ Mr Daax

GDC and the Welcome to the Frontier were definitely new. :)

And oh so delicious!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 10:58 (3997 days ago) @ urk

- No text -

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 11:51 (3997 days ago) @ urk

GDC and the Welcome to the Frontier were definitely new. :)

And my mind is still reeling. So.Many.Questions.

Also, Warlocks are the shiz.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 09:55 (3997 days ago) @ urk

If the gaming press can't or won't tell the whole story how about just stream the event live to us next time?

Inconsistency/incompetence of Gaming Media.....

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 20:24 (3997 days ago) @ urk

It's frustrating how much inconsistency there is with all these articles.... That article refers to Cosmochrome Breach, but we have previously seen it written as Cosmodome Breach... It would sure be nice to know how it's really written.

And the amount of stuff that all of these articles haven't covered is absurd. We've heard that story of Jones and Staten being saved by the stranger while fighting on Mars a million times, yet every time we hear it again, there's a new piece of it..... Like this line here: “[Suddenly], a Cabal dropship swoops in over the skyscrapers, unloads over our position with rockets, and drops a whole squad of Legionaries, backed up by a Centurion." Somehow the other outlets decided it's a good idea to leave that big detail out?! *Sigh

I have to agree with what someone else on here said, please just broadcast these events to all your fans! Instead of exclusively going through the press that seems to do a pretty poor job of covering it.

Or if not that, then perhaps at least let some of us dedicated Destiny community news outlets have access? We're the ones that actually have a passion for the game and will go over every scrap of info, lol. There's a bunch of great Destiny sites, as well as two or maybe three of us on Youtube.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, May 19, 2013, 05:36 (3997 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

I have to agree with what someone else on here said, please just broadcast these events to all your fans! Instead of exclusively going through the press that seems to do a pretty poor job of covering it.

Or if not that, then perhaps at least let some of us dedicated Destiny community news outlets have access? We're the ones that actually have a passion for the game and will go over every scrap of info, lol. There's a bunch of great Destiny sites, as well as two or maybe three of us on Youtube.

And yet, the choice they made for how to release that data has resulted in a stream (not a huge stream, but a stream) of new content stretched out over three months. Had they allowed video recording of the presentation, and/or allowed fans who weren't going to let the smallest tidbit go by, we'd have been finished with it by the end of February, and by now we'd be bored out of our minds.

Which is to say, I guess, that your assumption that the actual conference was botched (or arranged with incompetence) might be... flawed.

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Sunday, May 19, 2013, 15:22 (3996 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I suppose that's true, didn't quite think it through.

That said, I still don't understand how these outlets leave out things that are pretty important.... I mean, that story with Jason and Joseph on Mars has been told so many times, I would think they'd give the whole story. Seem silly to me that they'd cut big pieces of it out.... I mean, I see that they might not want their articles to get too long, but it's a matter of a couple sentences of important context for the scene.

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Monday, May 20, 2013, 15:28 (3995 days ago) @ Claude Errera

And yet, the choice they made for how to release that data has resulted in a stream (not a huge stream, but a stream) of new content stretched out over three months. Had they allowed video recording of the presentation, and/or allowed fans who weren't going to let the smallest tidbit go by, we'd have been finished with it by the end of February, and by now we'd be bored out of our minds.

I don't know about you but I'd be bored Destiny-wise if I hadn't ignored most of the articles until yesterday.

Which is to say, I guess, that your assumption that the actual conference was botched (or arranged with incompetence) might be... flawed.

He didn't say the conference was put together incompetently, he said the gaming media were incompetent, something you've come close to saying yourself before (IIRC).
To the post you were responding to, interestingly enough, the King of Errors Erreras here was actually at that event... actually that reminds me, weren't you going to do a write-up of that?

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Monday, May 20, 2013, 21:03 (3995 days ago) @ General Vagueness
edited by Destiny Updates, Monday, May 20, 2013, 21:09

Wow he was?! Damn, I would have loved to have seen an article from him!

And yeah I wasn't dissing Bungie or the presentation in any way. Just the way the media covered it. And I agree that if they had blown it out all at once, we'd have nothing to go on right now. But I still stand by my example where if you're going to tell a specific story like that, you should tell the whole thing, don't leave out a couple important sentences.....

Another thing was in this PS Mag article, they said you start as, "a human Guardian". While I know this information is from before the other races were known, I think it's very poor journalism to have not caught up with the latest info. I think it's also poor journalism to release this article 3 months after the presentation, in my opinion. -EDIT- Is this actually from an issue of the magazine that was released a while ago? And they only recently put it online? If that's the case then I understand and my previous point is invalid.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 04:55 (3995 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

Wow he was?! Damn, I would have loved to have seen an article from him!

Yeah, I was there. Unfortunately, I was unaware that there was even supposed to be a press event until I walked in the door; I thought I was coming to say hello. I had no recording device - not even a pencil. I was singularly unprepared to pass along details to other fans.

I didn't worry TOO much about that, though, because I figured there were almost 100 people there who WERE expecting to provide coverage.

Heh. Oops. :)

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 11:48 (3994 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Aw man, that's a drag you weren't informed :(

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:29 (3994 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

Aw man, that's a drag you weren't informed :(

Heh - I gotta say, I disagree. ;)

Rather than sitting there taking notes, trying to keep track of all the details, I was able to just absorb it. Doesn't do much for everyone ELSE, but it was certainly a better experience for me. ;)

Heh.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:39 (3994 days ago) @ Claude Errera

- No text -

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 21:19 (3994 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Hahaha, I suppose that's true :P You could have posted a write up of your thoughts and opinions at least though!

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 05:25 (3994 days ago) @ Destiny Updates

Hahaha, I suppose that's true :P You could have posted a write up of your thoughts and opinions at least though!

Yep, sort of planned to... then didn't. And by the time I had a chance to get back to it, most of the good stuff had leaked out of my skull. :(

Sorry.

by Destiny Updates ⌂, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 06:03 (3994 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah well, what can you do. No big deal.

Next time perhaps? ;)

by Ser Jergen, Saturday, May 18, 2013, 18:57 (3997 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I remember reading this somewhere back around February, I'll update if I can find it.

Hadn't seen this before either:

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 19, 2013, 07:34 (3997 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Staten describes how a typical mission plays out with these guys: hopping into a space craft with his buddy, he heads to the ruins in daytime, knowing the Cabal will be out in smaller numbers than his last nighttime excursion.

Maybe it's been mentioned, but I don't recall seeing it before. So day/night cycles will have some affect on the world, rather than just being a lighting change, just as Blackstar was hoping for in the Destiny Revealed ASE podcast. Hopefully Bungie does something interesting with this, and maybe an added dynamic with weather effects?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread