Destiny feels thread

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:06 (3995 days ago)
edited by Schooly D, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:12

I wish people (not just here) would stop getting hyped by concept art and quotes of Bungie employees speaking vaguely about how awesome Destiny will be. I think if people didn't get so hyped by such things, there'd be pressure on Bungie to release more substantive information. (Yes, I realize there's nothing anyone can do about this)

I'm concerned about whether Destiny will be able to successfully court casual and non-gamers (which Bungie has said is their goal with the game) and still provide a game deep enough for hardcore gamers like myself and retsamolah. The needs of the two groups are often very divergent.

I really want to buy a Destiny faction shirt, but since I know nothing about any of the factions or how factions even work in the game, I can't make an informed purchase. What if I buy a Future War Cult shirt, but FWC ends up being a lame organization filled with bronies and redditors?

Does anyone else know these feels? Or does anyone have some feels of their own?

Destiny feels thread

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:24 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D
edited by Xenos, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:36

I wish people (not just here) would stop getting hyped by concept art and quotes of Bungie employees speaking vaguely about how awesome Destiny will be. I think if people didn't get so hyped by such things, there'd be pressure on Bungie to release more substantive information. (Yes, I realize there's nothing anyone can do about this)

I'm concerned about whether Destiny will be able to successfully court casual and non-gamers (which Bungie has said is their goal with the game) and still provide a game deep enough for hardcore gamers like myself and retsamolah. The needs of the two groups are often very divergent.

I really want to buy a Destiny faction shirt, but since I know nothing about any of the factions or how factions even work in the game, I can't make an informed purchase. What if I buy a Future War Cult shirt, but FWC ends up being a lame organization filled with bronies and redditors?

Just to address the easiest point, the people on Bungie/Destiny sites are of course going to be hyped, we're just excited to see ANYTHING related to a new Bungie IP. As far as pressuring Bungie to release more substantive information, I doubt that would work. Giving into pressure like that usually just ends up in showing something that's either not ready to be shown or in creating stuff that isn't actually in the game but shows their vision *cough*Halo 2*cough* (EDIT: in fact it would probably just pressure them to not release information about the game until later in the development cycle)

I don't think I've seen anyone overhyping the thing you are concerned about, mainly I've just seen excitement about the world that they have created so far. Personally I am very hyped, because I want to play in the world they have made concept art for. And from every piece of in game content we've seen, they are doing a good job translating that concept art. Am I concerned about the features they've mentioned? Sure, but I don't see any point in commenting on that until I have something concrete to be worried about.

Hopefully we'll see something about competitive multiplayer at E3 (only 3 weeks!)

Wait... you're not a brony?

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 14:33 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Destiny feels thread

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 15:35 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D

I really want to buy a Destiny faction shirt

So you don't want people to get hyped over concept art, but you're hyped over shirts?

;)

I feel you though bro, accessibility is great, but you need something awesome to aspire to. They haven't said anything about PvP and in PvE we only know about the 'raids' and I've no idea if they're going to be things you can 'master' or just 'consume.'

In the Halo games, PvP gametype design hasn't been as good as it could have been, core mechanics always seem to end up flawed on some level or many. PvE is very solid but never seems to get the investment to make it truly excellent.

That said, my trust level of Bungie is much, much higher than... anyone else. If there is a Killer App for next-NextGen right now, it's Destiny. Plus, their heart is in the right place and they 'get it' much better than most.

Destiny feels thread

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 15:45 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D

I'm looking forward to the game, and I don't have really any issues with getting hyped over concept art. It looks like it'll be good, so why not look forward to it? On the subject of shirts, I wouldn't worry about a Faction getting taken over by "Redditors and Bronies", but not knowing anything about it is a barrier to purchase. Though, are Redditors and Bronies not the people to associate with? I don't know anything about lame stuff. Well, back to Pokemon and Dungeons & Dragons for me.

Destiny feels thread

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:33 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D

Concept art is nice and I do enjoy it, but it doesn't really get me excited for the game.

There are only two things that will get me excited (that is, if I find them appealing). Those two things are gameplay details or videos showing gameplay. If those two things appeal to me, then I might begin to become interested in the story and universe. A compelling story and universe alone isn't enough to get me excited, I need details.

I like shirts.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:09 (3995 days ago) @ Schooly D

I have three Destiny shirts. The faction logos look cool. That's about all I need in a shirt.

Plus, it's Bungie, dude. When and if they create a game I don't enjoy, I'll sadly put on my skeptic hat, but in the meantime, there's a lot of joy in life to be had in anticipation.

Well said

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:13 (3995 days ago) @ Kermit

Plus, it's Bungie, dude. When and if they create a game I don't enjoy, I'll sadly put on my skeptic hat, but in the meantime, there's a lot of joy in life to be had in anticipation.

This

Heh

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:24 (3995 days ago) @ Kermit

I have three Destiny shirts. The faction logos look cool. That's about all I need in a shirt.

For a moment I thought I was the only one who bought all three shirts :) And, yeah, they're pretty sweet.

This.

I may or may not own all 5 Destiny T-shirts...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:37 (3995 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

I can neither confirm or deny the same. :)

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 18:53 (3995 days ago) @ Xenos

I may actually be wearing one right now.

And yesterday.

Nerrrds...

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 00:11 (3994 days ago) @ Beorn

<_<

I got two of each. One for the collection and one to wear around.

Seriously, I got rid of my older Bungie memorabilia a couple years back and regretted it later. The old black Seventh Column shirt with the fist and lightning bolts was awesome. I wore that sucker until the print was barely visible. The Faction shirts are similar in that the graphic designs are cool lookin' but the brand isn't immediately identifiable to anyone but insiders.

I like shirts.

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 19:06 (3995 days ago) @ Kermit

I bought the FWC because it's blue. That was my only reason to buy that particular one. The main reason I bought it was to identify other random Bungie fans when I wear it in public. It's obscure enough to the general public that the only reaction or second glance I will get will be from other Bungie fans.

tl;dr: Wearing Destiny shirts before it was cool.

I like shirts.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 19:24 (3995 days ago) @ bluerunner

I bought the FWC because it's blue. That was my only reason to buy that particular one. The main reason I bought it was to identify other random Bungie fans when I wear it in public. It's obscure enough to the general public that the only reaction or second glance I will get will be from other Bungie fans.

tl;dr: Wearing Destiny shirts before it was cool.

Destiny hipsters? No, no, I got it. When Destiny becomes crazy popular, we'll be the "true fans, the ones who were there at the beginning." Heh.

Despite the many times I have worn my Destiny shirts in public, I have yet to discover other random Bungie fans. The closest I came was, "Hey, cool shirt." Indeed it is, random person, indeed it is.

I like shirts.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 19:27 (3995 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Destiny hipsters? No, no, I got it. When Destiny becomes crazy popular, we'll be the "true fans, the ones who were there at the beginning." Heh.

Despite the many times I have worn my Destiny shirts in public, I have yet to discover other random Bungie fans. The closest I came was, "Hey, cool shirt." Indeed it is, random person, indeed it is.

The only way people ever say anything is "What's your shirt from?" Good enough for me. I've even gotten quite a few Halo fans excited about Destiny that way

I like shirts.

by option2401, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:52 (3994 days ago) @ Xenos

Same here. I own the Destiny, Red Faction, and Grey Faction shirts. I've gotten plenty of, "Hey, cool shirt, what's it mean?" but never a, "Hey, fellow Bungie-ite, nice Destiny shirt!"

Maybe one day, maybe one day...

Destiny feels thread

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 21:47 (3994 days ago) @ Schooly D

The only obvious solution to this quandry is to solely and exclusively wear TSD shirts with the sleeves torn off. It is either that, or wear no shirt at all...for the ladies of course
It works for me.
They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time, it works every time.

Destiny feels thread

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 23:16 (3994 days ago) @ Pyromancy

The only obvious solution to this quandry is to solely and exclusively wear TSD shirts with the sleeves torn off.

But we already have one of those...

I hear Dead Orbit will have a lifting team

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 05:41 (3994 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

Destiny feels thread

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 16:18 (3994 days ago) @ Schooly D

I'm really concerned about what platforms are going to be available and who I'll be able to play with.

Microsoft's Xbox One itself concerns me - I have some privacy issues with a telescreen in my home that is always listening and phones in to microsoft once a day (at least). What assurance do I have it doesn't and cannot record conversations or stream audio/video to a microsoft database? Absolutely none.

I don't like that there hasn't been a peep about a PC port from Bungie. The game would probably be pre-ordered right now if there were. Looking at the console options today, I don't really... want any of them. They're too expensive, locked down. I just want to play on my PC these days. At least multiplayer doesn't cost me any extra that way.

Big Brother is indeed watching, huh?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 16:36 (3994 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

- No text -

Destiny feels thread

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 16:40 (3994 days ago) @ Reconcilliation

They are already designing the game for PS4, which is supposedly similar to a PC. How hard would it be to produce a PC port?

Destiny feels thread

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 17:24 (3994 days ago) @ Kalamari

They are already designing the game for PS4, which is supposedly similar to a PC. How hard would it be to produce a PC port?

So why not announce it will be available on PC? I don't understand holding back on this unless its for reasons other than technical feasibility.

Destiny feels thread

by Beckx, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 10:25 (3993 days ago) @ Schooly D

does anyone have some feels of their own?

Is your Guile any good? Care to taste the wrath of my Hakombos?

Destiny feels thread

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:19 (3992 days ago) @ Beckx

When is the TSD Dojo opening? I want to submit an application.

Destiny feels thread

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Friday, May 24, 2013, 11:39 (3992 days ago) @ Schooly D

[image]

Is this the t-shirt thread? *oT* (maybe?)

by Cold, Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:28 (3992 days ago) @ Schooly D

Can someone find me this one :D

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread