Anybody seen this? Live action trailer.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 15:48 (3993 days ago)
edited by Chewbaccawakka, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 15:59

https://twitter.com/DestinyTheGame/status/336976075877916672/photo/1

Destiny Live Action Trailer? Color me excited.

Sweet!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:02 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Did Microsoft not ask them to show it at the Xbox Event? How strange.

Sweet!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:06 (3993 days ago) @ Xenos

I have nothing to base this assumption on other than my own opinion. But after the Xbox Won Reveal I've been wondering more and more if our friends at Bungie carefully and purposely absented themselves from the Reveal event.

Not sure, but at this juncture I wouldn't be too surprised.

Sweet!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:10 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I have nothing to base this assumption on other than my own opinion. But after the Xbox Won Reveal I've been wondering more and more if our friends at Bungie carefully and purposely absented themselves from the Reveal event.

The funny thing is the event was very meh, but a lot of the features I've been reading about make me pretty happy, it makes me wonder why they didn't talk about all of them. Like for example, all games can be installed from the hard drive and played without the disc, and let you play the games while they install.

Sweet!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:36 (3993 days ago) @ Xenos

I agree that the show was meh, I kept waiting for it to start and then it ended. I'll also admit that there are some interesting new ideas that are being introduced with the newest Xbox iteration.

But by that same token the more I read about it, the more I grow concerned about whether I'll purchase it or not. Most of our fears, that unto this point I had dismissed as hearsay, seem to have been confirmed.

This could be wrong, and it could be changed in the future, but as of right now I'm just nervous.

"Always" On.

Used/traded games.

I recognize that Kotaku hasn't been the most reliable news source in the past, but much of what they're saying seems to be confirmed by Microsoft employees.

I live in a household that has two 360's. Mine, and my flatmates. We both buy our own games, and occasionally lend them to one another. It's as simple a matter as going into her room and saying "hey, I'ma borrow this 'kay?"

But with what's being said about how games will be connected to consoles with codes. I fear the future. (Note: Link has nothing to do with current discussion, just finished Last Light, loved it, and am considering playing through Metro: 2033 again)

I hope all of this turns out to be some big misunderstanding and everything will work out okay. But I will not trust to hope, for it has forsaken these lands.

Clarification from Major Nelson

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:41 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

For what it's worth, Larry Hryb posted a clarification about used games on his Major Nelson blog:
http://majornelson.com/2013/05/21/xbox-one-and-used-games/

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:42 (3993 days ago) @ Beorn

For what it's worth, Larry Hryb posted a clarification about used games on his Major Nelson blog:

Another piece of clarification around playing games at a friend’s house – should you choose to play your game at your friend’s house, there is no fee to play that game while you are signed in to your profile.

Just read it, and was coming to post. But yeah, that's at least a little better than it sounded. Here's to more good news in the days to come!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:01 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Just read it, and was coming to post. But yeah, that's at least a little better than it sounded. Here's to more good news in the days to come!

A little better, but still disappointing. You can't borrow your friend's game unless you borrow their profile, too. Not cool.

And forget rentals.

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:15 (3993 days ago) @ Kermit

And forget rentals.

Aye, one of my favorite pastimes to determine if I should buy a game or not.

:(

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:22 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

And forget rentals.

Aye, one of my favorite pastimes to determine if I should buy a game or not.

:(

Personally, I'm hoping they start doing trials for EVERY game to make up for that (maybe even just have a timed trial), but I doubt they will. In fact a lot of developers may actually get upset if they do that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 14:20 (3991 days ago) @ Kermit

A little better, but still disappointing. You can't borrow your friend's game unless you borrow their profile, too. Not cool.

And forget rentals.

It seems to tie a game with a profile. So if you have roomates or family members, you'll all have to share one profile. Or buy the game X times where X is the number of people. Either way, moronic.

We need a "Jump to Conclusions Mat"

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 14:36 (3991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It seems to tie a game with a profile. So if you have roomates or family members, you'll all have to share one profile. Or buy the game X times where X is the number of people. Either way, moronic.

Um, who said anything about having to share a profile? Microsoft certainly hasn't. And their word is the only word. All they've said is that they're still putting their policies together.

The hysteria around the new consoles is just getting silly.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 15:31 (3991 days ago) @ Beorn

Um, who said anything about having to share a profile? Microsoft certainly hasn't. And their word is the only word. All they've said is that they're still putting their policies together.

The hysteria around the new consoles is just getting silly.

Take a game to friend's house. MS says that's free if you use your profile. Therefore, it's not free if you use their profile. Therefore you can only share games on the same profile.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 15:45 (3991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In the (idiotic) sea of misinformation over the last few days one Microsoft person also said something about anyone on any profile being able to play it if they had the disc. Or maybe it was anybody on that Xbox. Or maybe both… Did I mention the idiotic sea of disinformation?? Anyway it sounded like your made up scenario of it only, no ifs ands of buts, being tied to a single account will turn out to be wrong.*

*Then again I've been quite annoyed with Microsoft and their inability to stick to a party line. If it's not decided yet tell us. If it is but you don't want to reveal it yet… fine. But having several different answers, some of which had to be backtracked on is… It kinda makes me mad really. And it leaves all of us in this stupid guessing game wondering which of the several versions of the truth said throughout a single week are the actual truth… if any.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 06:18 (3990 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In the (idiotic) sea of misinformation over the last few days one Microsoft person also said something about anyone on any profile being able to play it if they had the disc. Or maybe it was anybody on that Xbox. Or maybe both… Did I mention the idiotic sea of disinformation?? Anyway it sounded like your made up scenario of it only, no ifs ands of buts, being tied to a single account will turn out to be wrong.*

I don't know. I've seen the scenario Cody mentioned described on several sites, where games have to be activated and linked to a profile and can only be played by that profile, regardless of the disc or the console.

I have not seen anything mentioned about play from the disc. All I have seen is a mention that installation to the hard drive is required. And with regard to games that are installed to the hard drive, they behave as Cody described.

In fact, if you install a game from disc on a 360 while logged into a profile, there are some things you can't do on that console unless you're logged into that profile. For several games I've seen the workaround suggested that you log out of all profiles before installing the game in order to avoid the problem.

For games that download to the HD, Cody's scenario is the case: you must be either on the console for which the content was bought, or logged into the profile that bought it, in order to play. Cody's scenario just extends that to games installed from the disc, and this is the only scenario that gives MS control over lending or used copies.

If you can play from the disc without the profile, and can play from the HD while logged in, then every disc copy of a game could theoretically be played in two places at once: from the installed copy while logged into the profile that activated it, and from any other machine with the disc in the drive. (Xbox One games do NOT require the disc in the drive to play games that are installed, and all games must be installed. This much I'm pretty sure I've read everywhere.)

I read the info the same way Cody did-- you won't be able to independently sell used games for a mutually agreed-upon price, because the buyer will have to pay MS something, possibly as much as full retail price, which kills the used market almost entirely. You also can't lend anyone a disc without accompanying it, because you need a profile.

If MS were smart and not greedy, the fee for secondary copies would be lower than full price, they'd have an online market for the exchange of used games with low commissions and floating prices, and they'd treat game lending with some kind of library feature, either allowing a few days of free play on a borrowed copy, or some kind of really small daily rate, something so small nobody would bother with it. This would allow people to borrow copies of a friend's game to audition it and see if it's worth owning, while giving MS some revenue out of situations that currently bring them nothing.

Good solutions, can you give Microsoft a call?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:23 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Possibly what Microsoft is doing

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:38 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

This article talks about what is supposedly Microsoft's plan for used games. While I don't agree with all of the ideas in it, I do like that you would still be supporting the game developers in purchasing a used game, definitely something I could get behind. I definitely don't think Gamestop will be happy with a 10% cut though.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:19 (3991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well, to be fair, that isn't really sound logic. You need to reverse the conclusion and use that as your premise, thereby constructing a contrapositive, to make a statement with a reversed conclusion. As such, "if you don't take the game over to their house it wouldn't be free to play" is what you'd wind up with, and even that could be incorrect (So even our premise isn't airtight). If we allowed such callous abuses of the system, this would be a valid conclusion: "If it is raining, the sidewalk is wet. Therefore, if it isn't raining, the sidewalk isn't wet." This is untrue, because other things can make the sidewalk wet. The contrapositive to be found is "If the sidewalk isn't wet, then it isn't raining." Alright, I admit, I just wanted to talk about logic for a bit; you got me.

Two thumbs up: I laughed.

by Claude Errera @, Friday, May 24, 2013, 05:19 (3991 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 24, 2013, 18:41 (3990 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Well, to be fair, that isn't really sound logic. You need to reverse the conclusion and use that as your premise, thereby constructing a contrapositive, to make a statement with a reversed conclusion. As such, "if you don't take the game over to their house it wouldn't be free to play" is what you'd wind up with, and even that could be incorrect (So even our premise isn't airtight). If we allowed such callous abuses of the system, this would be a valid conclusion: "If it is raining, the sidewalk is wet. Therefore, if it isn't raining, the sidewalk isn't wet." This is untrue, because other things can make the sidewalk wet. The contrapositive to be found is "If the sidewalk isn't wet, then it isn't raining." Alright, I admit, I just wanted to talk about logic for a bit; you got me.

That's true, unless you say IF AND ONLY IF it's raining is the sidewalk wet. In which case, the logic works out just fine, since rain is the only way for the sidewalk to be wet, so if it's wet it means it rained, and if it's dry, it didn't rain. So long as you say IF AND ONLY IF.

So, you can play your game on a friend's box for free IF AND ONLY IF you use your own profile.

Valid now. K thx bye.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, May 24, 2013, 18:46 (3990 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Well now that would be a strong conclusion with an incorrect premise. That's... not really better.

(Well, the rain one is incorrect. The premise of the game one isn't necessarily incorrect, but it isn't necessarily correct either, so...)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 24, 2013, 19:24 (3990 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Well now that would be a strong conclusion with an incorrect premise. That's... not really better.

(Well, the rain one is incorrect. The premise of the game one isn't necessarily incorrect, but it isn't necessarily correct either, so...)

An argument can be perfectly valid without being sound.

If Santa Clause doesn't exist, then I'm a reindeer.
Santa Clause doesn't exist.
Therefore I'm a reindeer.

That's a logically valid argument. So is the argument I made regarding rain.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Friday, May 24, 2013, 19:28 (3990 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am well aware of that; if you look, I called it not sound as opposed to invalid.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 23:53 (3990 days ago) @ Cody Miller

An argument can be perfectly valid without being sound.

If Santa Clause doesn't exist, then I'm a reindeer.
Santa Clause doesn't exist.
Therefore I'm a reindeer.

That's a logically valid argument. So is the argument I made regarding rain.

Yes, but one of your premises was false. Rain is NOT the only way for a sidewalk to get wet. That's the entire point of that example. rain means the sidewalk MUST be wet because there's no reasonable scenario that prevents that consequence, whereas a number of scenarios can create a wet sidewalk: open fireplugs, people washing cars, etc. That's not the same as your argument being unsound, but it does invalidate your conclusion.

At any rate...

Still, I agree with you. It certainly looks to me like what they're going to do is require installation, link installs to profiles, and use the Internet connection to invalidate previous installs following a sanctioned sale.

That means the Xbone has to connect often enough to make sure that you can't install a game and continue using that install after you've sold it.

It means that sales can only go through sanctioned channels. Presumably MS is partnering with GameStop on this because they don't want war with retailers. Fine, so MS has no cojones. No surprise there. (If Apple had done the same thing with the iTunes Music Store, there would be no downloads, and you'd be going to a bricks and mortar record shop to fill an iPod up with DRM protected AAC tracks.)

When a 2nd person pops in a previously sold Xbone game disc, the system has to have some way of knowing that this isn't a friend's console you're just logging into, but the new owner of that disc. They can't trust the old owner to voluntarily give up their rights to the game if the sale is made directly between the two parties. Somebody might take the cash, hand over the disc, and fail to give up the rights. The new buyer gets screwed, the seller gets to keep the game and the money.

Likewise, you can't just trust the new person with the disc to pay the fee and install the game. What if the disc was stolen? What if an unaware Xbone owner lent a game disc to a friend, not knowing how the system works? If you just invalidate all old installs when a disc is installed on a new console, then MS is essentially supporting theft.

The only way to do this is with a trusted third party. MS could do this by providing their own online market as part of XBL; allowing someone to invalidate their install in exchange for store credit, and accepting payment from the buyer and permitting a download, or providing a prepaid mailer to the original owner to forward the game disc. (That could get wonky.) MS would be becoming the Ebay of used Xbox discs. MS gets to control the system, take their cut, and give developers a share of used game sales that they currently don't have.

That's a lot to take on, though, and it's fraught with possibilities for abuse and incompetence. So I think it's likely they'll anoint the current market leader in used sales (GameStop) and let them handle it the way they always have; there will just be extra steps. When they buy a used Xbone disc, they'll have to have some way of invalidating the old installs. Probably you'll have to either login to a terminal at GameStop to authorize that. They'll do the same when they sell a used title, linking that title to the gamertag of the new owner.

Of course, if they don't add the component necessary to let sellers and buyers login to their profiles on-site, then it means that every extant copy of every installed Xbone game in the wild is open to the vagaries of abuse by GameStop employees. That doesn't sound good to me.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 00:05 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

Yeah. Something like that.

The only thing I thnk will be different is that any profile will be able to play a game as long as the owner profile is currently downloaded onto / last signed in on that Xbox.This would let a family all play a game with their own saves and what not.

If they throw in a lend system where I can authorize one person with my disk to play my game that would be swell...

Hop, Skip, Run, Jump LEAP

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 02:43 (3990 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Yeah. Something like that.

The only thing I thnk will be different is that any profile will be able to play a game as long as the owner profile is currently downloaded onto / last signed in on that Xbox.This would let a family all play a game with their own saves and what not.

That'd be nice, but that's not how it works now.

Removing the disc requirement and adding an installation requirement is useful because it levels the playing field between downloaded and boxed retail product: they both get treated the same way.

Currently on XBL, downloaded games don't work exactly this way. An XBL download can be played by any profile on the console it was originally downloaded onto, or by the profile it was purchased by on any console. That's a bit more restrictive than your example, but only applies to a few users.

For instance, if I have two consoles (and I do, and have experienced this exact situation) and I want two players to play the game simultaneously on the two consoles,I need to make sure that I've correctly distributed my profiles and license or else I won't be able to achieve what I want without buying a second license.

If I buy one copy of Title A on Console 1 using profile Narc. then I can do the following:

Any profile can play Title A on Console 1. Console 2 can only play title A when Profile Narc is logged in. So my guest player has to be on Console 1, so I can login to my profile on Console 2 and play the game against them (LAN play).

This basically means the system wants the opposite of what you suggest. Far from being logged into or last logged into the console on which content was purchased, the purchaser's profile should be anywhere else, and your guests or family members should be on the console used to buy the content.

If they throw in a lend system where I can authorize one person with my disk to play my game that would be swell...

It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Any lending time sufficient to play through your average SP campaign (say, ten hours) could easily cut into used purchases significantly, perhaps making the whole revenue stream not worth going after. And if that lending can be done with downloadable titles instead of just physical media, then MS has just set up a huge electronic lending library for the same games they're trying to sell, so that definitely won't happen.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is also just as much about eliminating what piracy these platforms have. Essentially, X hours from the last time each Xbone connected to the Internet, it will start treating your legally bought media as if it might have been a pirate copy because it can't positively verify that your license rights haven't been revoked.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/publishers-to-receive-cut-of-xbox-one-pre-owned-sales-at-retail/0116137

Unless there turns out to be really substantive differences between what this rumor describes and what the reality turns out to be, I think Major Nelson will have lost a great deal of respect, which is regrettable. This is the problem with talking about your product before the details are determined. Sure, you get to gauge the reaction, but there are some genies that can't be put back into the bottle. Even if the system turns out to be not as bad as some people think, there will be those who firmly believe that MS truly wanted to do this to their customers, but simply couldn't quite get away with it.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 08:39 (3989 days ago) @ narcogen

For instance, if I have two consoles (and I do, and have experienced this exact situation) and I want two players to play the game simultaneously on the two consoles,I need to make sure that I've correctly distributed my profiles and license or else I won't be able to achieve what I want without buying a second license.

Yes, and?

If I understand you correctly you want to play two copies of the game while only buying one.

This basically means the system wants the opposite of what you suggest. Far from being logged into or last logged into the console on which content was purchased, the purchaser's profile should be anywhere else, and your guests or family members should be on the console used to buy the content.

Eh. What you're suggesting is, to me, something close to piracy. Not in the evil you stole the product sense. But in the you bought one copy of a game but somehow expect to play it in multiple places simultaneously. Because your two consoles are in the same room means you should only need to buy one copy of the game? What about me where my two Xboxes are 40 miles apart? Should be me and my brother be able to play one purchase of Bioshock Infinite at the same time? We certainly didn't think so which is why he bought it first, liked it, then bought me a copy as a gift. Same reason we have two copies of Reach, Mass Effect 3, Halo 3, and others.

Having all games be downloadable will be a nice step forward, but unless I misunderstand you, you want it to also mean you can play any one game purchase in two places at once. That you can do it with the current implementation of XBL is likely more an unintended loophole that worked around the one game, one disc / cartridge, one location at a time restriction that has always been present on consoles.

It would be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Any lending time sufficient to play through your average SP campaign (say, ten hours) could easily cut into used purchases significantly, perhaps making the whole revenue stream not worth going after. And if that lending can be done with downloadable titles instead of just physical media, then MS has just set up a huge electronic lending library for the same games they're trying to sell, so that definitely won't happen.

Developers (supposedly) hate used game sales because they make no cut. If, when I lend you a game, it marks it so only your profile can play it until I unlend it, then the status quo is maintained. It would be the digital version of me handing you the disc without the difficulty of getting you to search around for it in your piles of stuff when I want it back. If it help kill off one person buying a game then giving it to another, a process where the developer makes no money, then so much the better… from their point of view I'd think.

The more I think about it, the more I think this is also just as much about eliminating what piracy these platforms have. Essentially, X hours from the last time each Xbone connected to the Internet, it will start treating your legally bought media as if it might have been a pirate copy because it can't positively verify that your license rights haven't been revoked.

I'm sure piracy is part of it. But I'm fine with it as long as my Xbox trust my offline profile enough to let me play my games without connecting to the internet. I would even be understanding if it locked out lent copies of games if I hadn't been online in a certain period of time. A small step backward from handing someone a physical disc to be sure, but I would accept the easier ability to lend and unlend in exchange for a bit more oversight to make sure piracy isn't going on.

As for selling games and the developers getting a cut of each sell, thus necessitating some sort of in store tracking system… yeah that doesn't sound fun. It means Microsoft gets to pick and chose who can resell a game. It would also mean you can't hand me a 20 and me hand you a copy of a game I'm done with. Unless there is some way to do it from in front of my Xbox, profile based or something. I might accept that, even with a small fee to be payed by the game's new owner. Say 10% of the game's original retail price. If they were to do that then Microsoft and the game developers who currently see 0% of the money from a game's sell would always see some money from any sell. That's a small win for them.

Now admittedly, everything I've said here is from my usual optimistic point of view. But I don't see the point in being negative about things until we have enough info to do so. I am however very unhappy with the way Microsoft is handling all this. I'd far prefer they have one set, unified message, even if it is just "we don't know yet." That would be far better than all these mixed, conflicting messages we've been getting over the last few days.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 14:48 (3989 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Eh. What you're suggesting is, to me, something close to piracy. Not in the evil you stole the product sense. But in the you bought one copy of a game but somehow expect to play it in multiple places simultaneously.

Because that's how it worked back in the day. You either installed your game on all your computers, or the game let you install multiplayer only copies on other computers. One copy of the game meant you and tons of friends could play UT 99 or Starcraft. Starcraft's spawn copies even worked on battle.net.

On a console, you used splitscreen. One copy, multiple players.

WHY ARE WE GOING BACKWARDS?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 18:03 (3989 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Eh. What you're suggesting is, to me, something close to piracy. Not in the evil you stole the product sense. But in the you bought one copy of a game but somehow expect to play it in multiple places simultaneously.

Because that's how it worked back in the day. You either installed your game on all your computers, or the game let you install multiplayer only copies on other computers. One copy of the game meant you and tons of friends could play UT 99 or Starcraft. Starcraft's spawn copies even worked on battle.net.

On a console, you used splitscreen. One copy, multiple players.

WHY ARE WE GOING BACKWARDS?

And why are you providing examples from computers when we're talking consoles? This is after I explicitly said:

That you can [play a copy of an XBL downloaded game in more than one location at once] with the current implementation of XBL is likely more an unintended loophole that worked around the one game, one disc / cartridge, one location at a time restriction that has always been present on consoles.

As long as we're pulling in wildly different platforms with different rules and expectations we might as well consider more modern PC software usage rules. UT99 and Starcraft were nearly a decade and a half ago after all. The PC space isn't all roses and unicorns these days. Can I play a steam game purchased on one account in multiple locations at the same time? What about my 100% fairly purchased copy of Microsoft Office for Mac that actively looks over the network and refuses to run any of the suite's applications if another computer is running any of the applications with the same license code? What about Diablo and the newest Simcity who's launches were spectacular failures because of idiotic DRM and sever capacity issues. Heck even Starcraft's spawn system, if I recall correctly, was limited to three installations that could only play multiplayer and only when playing with the full install that had the correct license key.

As for consoles, where has it been suggested that the Xbone won't support single console splitscreen? Admittedly Microsoft representatives have said a lot of contrary things, but as far as I know nobody has mentioned the console's inability to do splitscreen multiplayer. Did you just make that up?

In all seriousness, your post was so flawed that I'm left scratching my head, wondering if you're even debating in good faith here…

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 09:38 (3988 days ago) @ Ragashingo

As long as we're pulling in wildly different platforms with different rules and expectations we might as well consider more modern PC software usage rules. UT99 and Starcraft were nearly a decade and a half ago after all. The PC space isn't all roses and unicorns these days.

Exactly. WHY ARE WE MOVING BACKWARD?

Also Starcraft let you install 7 other multiplayer copies.

As for consoles, modern consoles are basically PCs now. You didn't install a game on your Genesis did you?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 11:06 (3988 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Are basically != are.

They are still consoles. Choosing to compare them to PC rules because their internals are closer than they were last generation is just silly. As such, being consoles, they should still be judged by console rules.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 06:28 (3989 days ago) @ narcogen

Still, I agree with you. It certainly looks to me like what they're going to do is require installation, link installs to profiles, and use the Internet connection to invalidate previous installs following a sanctioned sale.

How does it look this way to you? As far as I can tell, the SUM TOTAL of our knowledge on this subject so far is an interview with a Microsoft representative in which it was stated that you'll be able to play at your friend's house if you bring the disk over and sign in, and a clarification by another Microsoft representative that this information isn't nailed down yet.

How do you get 'certainly' from this?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 08:42 (3989 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Agreed. I'm seeing a lot of definites when as far as I can tell the only thing Microsoft has revealed is a confusing swirl of statements, retractions, and rumors.

Clarification?

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 17:58 (3993 days ago) @ Beorn

Personal theory

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 18:20 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

My personal theory is that when you sell a used game you somehow deactivate the copy. That seems to be the only way that both buying used games can be supported and the idea of each disk only working for the original install seems to make sense.

Clarification?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 18:28 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

I just don't know what to think anymore...

Me neither :P

Spec wise, the PS4 and XBO appear to be very similar (at least as far as I can tell, though I'm no computer/tech expert.) All the TV stuff on the XBO, while cool, I could care less about. I just want to play games, and because of that my decision is currently swaying towards the PS4. The combination of Destiny's multi-platform-ness and my own slight dissatisfaction with the current state of the Halo franchise has all but broken my Xbox loyalty :(

Console prices and the used games/borrowed games issue will be some of the biggest factors in my next-gen console decision. Buuuuut, E3 could totally change all of that, so we shall see :)

Clarification on the clarification

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:06 (3993 days ago) @ Beorn

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-22-phil-harrison-tries-again-to-clarify-game-ownership-second-hand-sales-an...

This I could deal with. It would suck to not be able to lend games to friends without you playing with them, but it sounds like they are absolutely going to support second hand games in some fashion.

Sweet!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:23 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Maybe. I get the sense (and this is just gut feeling) that they're as friendly with Microsoft as they need to be, but no more.

Agreed

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 16:35 (3993 days ago) @ Kermit

Maybe. I get the sense (and this is just gut feeling) that they're as friendly with Microsoft as they need to be, but no more.

I'm with you, Kermit. I imagine that breaking free from Microsoft was a deliberate and difficult decision for Bungie, and that bond will never be the same again. I expect that Bungie was not invited to participate the XBO reveal, nor were they expecting an invite.

In addition, another factor could be that Destiny is very much a cross-platform title and today was ALL about the Xbox experience. Destiny doesn't really fit there.

Agreed

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 19:32 (3993 days ago) @ Beorn

Or Sony got dibs in exchange for the PS4 reveal spot. Who knows.

Law of the Jungle?

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:01 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

All I could think of was

"Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun and games..."

Maybe they'll show us a bit of Venus?

Law of the Jungle?

by petetheduck, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:18 (3993 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Google turned this up. You can tell its a match because the Bungie image shows the text "immense variety" and "Baloo"

Just to give you an idea of the immense variety of the Jungle Law, I have translated into verse (Baloo always recited them in a sort of sing-song) a few of the laws that apply to the wolves. There are, of course, hundreds and hundreds more, but these will do for specimens of the simpler rulings.

Now this is the Law of the Jungle--as old and as true as the sky;

And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back-- For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack.

Wash daily from nose-tip to tail-tip; drink deeply, but never too deep; And remember the night is for hunting, and forget not the day is for sleep.

The jackal may follow the Tiger, but, Cub, when thy whiskers are grown, Remember the Wolf is a hunter--go forth and get food of thine own.

Keep peace with the Lords of the Jungle--the Tiger, the Panther, the Bear; And trouble not Hathi the Silent, and mock not the Boar in his lair.

When Pack meets with Pack in the Jungle, and neither will go from the trail, Lie down till the leaders have spoken--it may be fair words shall prevail.

When ye fight with a Wolf of the Pack, ye must fight him alone and afar, Lest others take part in the quarrel, and the Pack be diminished by war.

The Lair of the Wolf is his refuge, and where he has made him his home, Not even the Head Wolf may enter, not even the Council may come.

The Lair of the Wolf is his refuge, but where he has digged it too plain, The Council shall send him a message, and so he shall change it again.

If ye kill before midnight, be silent, and wake not the woods with your bay, Lest ye frighten the deer from the crops, and the brothers go empty away.

Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can; But kill not for pleasure of killing, and SEVEN TIMES NEVER KILL MAN.

If ye plunder his Kill from a weaker, devour not all in thy pride; Pack-Right is the right of the meanest; so leave him the head and the hide.

The Kill of the Pack is the meat of the Pack. Ye must eat where it lies; And no one may carry away of that meat to his lair, or he dies.

The Kill of the Wolf is the meat of the Wolf. He may do what he will, But, till he has given permission, the Pack may not eat of that Kill.

Cub-Right is the right of the Yearling. From all of his Pack he may claim Full-gorge when the killer has eaten; and none may refuse him the same.

Lair-Right is the right of the Mother. From all of her year she may claim One haunch of each kill for her litter, and none may deny her the same.

Cave-Right is the right of the Father--to hunt by himself for his own. He is freed of all calls to the Pack; he is judged by the Council alone.

Because of his age and his cunning, because of his gripe and his paw, In all that the Law leaveth open, the word of the Head Wolf is Law.

Now these are the Laws of the Jungle, and many and mighty are they; But the head and the hoof of the Law and the haunch and the hump is--Obey!

That was awesome!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:32 (3993 days ago) @ petetheduck

Thanks for sharing. At the very least, it's an enjoyable bit of classic children's literature. Whether it hints at some of Destiny's in game laws, who knows. Very cool, nonetheless.

D'oh!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 21:09 (3993 days ago) @ petetheduck

Heh, I just spent forever formatting the same. That's what I get for walking away from the machine for half an hour before posting. :)

Law of the Jungle?

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 22:52 (3993 days ago) @ petetheduck

Ye may kill for yourselves, and your mates, and your cubs as they need, and ye can;
But kill not for pleasure of killing, and seven times never kill Man!

Welp, I think it's safe to say whoever stomped all over humanity's shit in the Destiny universe never read the Jungle Book.

By the way, the short story from the Jungle Book named "Tiger! Tiger!" is a reference to this William Blake poem.

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

In what distant deeps or skies
Burnt the fire of thine eyes?
On what wings dare he aspire?
What the hand dare sieze the fire?

And what shoulder, & what art.
Could twist the sinews of thy heart?
And when thy heart began to beat,
What dread hand? & what dread feet?

What the hammer? what the chain?
In what furnace was thy brain?
What the anvil? what dread grasp
Dare its deadly terrors clasp?

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears,
Did he smile his work to see?
Did he who made the Lamb make thee?

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
In the forests of the night,
What immortal hand or eye
Dare frame thy fearful symmetry?

Calling it: Thursday's trailer is going to be a shakeycam home video of Deej running around the forest in Tigerman costume.

Hunters

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 20:43 (3993 days ago) @ Mr Daax

All I could think of was
"Welcome to the jungle, we've got fun and games..."
Maybe they'll show us a bit of Venus?

I've been thinking about "The Law of the Jungle", too. That picture is from The Jungle Book (relevant section here with highlights).

And (from Wikipedia), here's the text of The Law of the Jungle (with potentially relevant parts highlighted):

NOW this is the law of the jungle, as old and as true as the sky,
And the wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the wolf that shall break it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree trunk, the law runneth forward and back;
For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack.

Wash daily from nose tip to tail tip; drink deeply, but never too deep;
And remember the night is for hunting and forget not the day is for sleep.

The jackal may follow the tiger, but, cub, when thy whiskers are grown,
Remember the wolf is a hunter—go forth and get food of thy own.

Keep peace with the lords of the jungle, the tiger, the panther, the bear;
And trouble not Hathi the Silent, and mock not the boar in his lair.

When pack meets with pack in the jungle, and neither will go from the trail,
Lie down till the leaders have spoken; it may be fair words shall prevail.

When ye fight with a wolf of the pack ye must fight him alone and afar,
Lest others take part in the quarrel and the pack is diminished by war.

petetheduck has the rest in his post, but the above is the relevant part for me

Call me crazy, but the potential connection to the Hunter class here is just too good to pass up. Based on this, I think Thursday's trailer will be about the Hunter class.

An alternative interpretation that focuses on the right-of-the-kill parts could revolve around squad mechanics and/or dungeon loot rules.

And although it's probably a stretch, I felt that the last highlighted bit might have multiplayer implications, but I doubt that's the direction this is headed.

Hunters

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 13:05 (3992 days ago) @ Beorn

Call me crazy, but the potential connection to the Hunter class here is just too good to pass up. Based on this, I think Thursday's trailer will be about the Hunter class.

An alternative interpretation that focuses on the right-of-the-kill parts could revolve around squad mechanics and/or dungeon loot rules.

And although it's probably a stretch, I felt that the last highlighted bit might have multiplayer implications, but I doubt that's the direction this is headed.

You're crazy. But I like you're thinking. What if it refers to one of the alien races and how they behave, rather than to the Guardians? Bungie's FB and Twitter feeds have recently focused on the Fallen classes, so far the Dregs and the Vandals. My guess is that by Thursday they would have posted about the Captains, and then possibly have the trailer on Thursday be about the Fallen?

Present Position

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 21:59 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Antecedent

Cassini Status: Next Flyby May 23; ETA ~ 1 day 12 hours 30 minutes

Nice find!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 22:44 (3993 days ago) @ Pyromancy

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 22:57 (3993 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

Color me wondering when the GAME portion of the game will be revealed. You know, what we're paying for.

Likely closer to when we buy it, ya know when we pay for it

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, 23:42 (3993 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 00:39 (3993 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 00:45

To be fair to Cody, the fact that it's up for pre-order was advertised quite prominently on B.net pretty much immediately after the announcement way back in February. If I were one to get my panties in a bunch over the marketing of video games I could see some sort of argument there. Honestly, who cares? Sit tight and gameplay footage will be forthcoming. Release is a long way off and there's no imperative to pre-order.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 01:02 (3993 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Yeah, I realized that, I just have a bad habit of answering sarcasm with sarcasm

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 11:54 (3992 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

To be fair to Cody, the fact that it's up for pre-order was advertised quite prominently on B.net pretty much immediately after the announcement way back in February. If I were one to get my panties in a bunch over the marketing of video games I could see some sort of argument there. Honestly, who cares? Sit tight and gameplay footage will be forthcoming. Release is a long way off and there's no imperative to pre-order.

All other marketing for creative products usually has to do with what you're getting.

Movie Trailer - This is what you'll see and hear in the movie. People go to the movies to see and hear them. So, it gives me an idea of what that is like.

Music Single / Video - This is what a song off the album sounds like. People buy records to hear them. So, it gives me an idea of what it's like.

Books - This is how a sample chapter reads, or what the book is about. People buy books to read them. So, it gives me an idea of what it's like.

Video games - People buy games to play them right? So why isn't the marketing about what it's like to play the game? Oh right, because the games industry wishes it was hollywood.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 12:33 (3992 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Because the experience is far too mutable for anyone to be able to concisely advertise it?

What gives you a point, though, is how often companies distribute demos.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 13:16 (3992 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Movie Trailer - This is what you'll see and hear in the movie. People go to the movies to see and hear them. So, it gives me an idea of what that is like.

See but what we're seeing right now is the equivalent of a movie teaser. Do you remember the original movie teaser for The Dark Knight Rises? It was the logo with dialogue in the background. This is standard practice for the movie industry as well. Right now they are just trying to built awareness and excitement about the IP. When the game gets closer to release they will release a trailer that shows gameplay (which how soon before varies by game developer). The game at earliest comes out in February of 2014. That teaser I was talking about for Dark Knight Rises came out almost a year before the game came out. I would imagine that late this year will be the earliest we see a significant gameplay trailer for the game. I also DO NOT want them to release a game trailer for gameplay that will change significantly before release.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 15:42 (3992 days ago) @ Xenos

Would it have been better if they'd just stayed quiet till this year's E3, or even longer? Personally I don't think so. I've had a lot of fun not knowing or seeing much of Destiny. There's been so many good discussions and so much rampant speculation. Really this period of low information has been almost exactly what I'd hoped it would be. Certainly it's been better than some of the similar periods in the long lead ups to some of the Halo games where it felt like the word "redacted" was used more than a little too much.

And we can't forget that at some point relatively soon this period will end and we'll get gameplay details, and in game footage, and everything we all want to see. We have a lot to look forward to! I say savor the moments we get now, and have a blast with the stuff thats sure to come later. No point in coming to a fan site to grump!

Hear, hear!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 16:40 (3992 days ago) @ Ragashingo

And we can't forget that at some point relatively soon this period will end and we'll get gameplay details, and in game footage, and everything we all want to see. We have a lot to look forward to! I say savor the moments we get now, and have a blast with the stuff thats sure to come later. No point in coming to a fan site to grump!

Well said.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 23:58 (3990 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All other marketing for creative products usually has to do with what you're getting.

Music Single / Video - This is what a song off the album sounds like. People buy records to hear them. So, it gives me an idea of what it's like.

Books - This is how a sample chapter reads, or what the book is about. People buy books to read them. So, it gives me an idea of what it's like.

Video games - People buy games to play them right? So why isn't the marketing about what it's like to play the game? Oh right, because the games industry wishes it was hollywood.

You're going to have to cut this out, because I keep agreeing with you.

I didn't like it when Bungie first moved away from using in-engine (if not in-game) footage for trailers, and I still don't like it. Your argument is sound; of all major audiovisual entertainment media, games are currently the most divorced from the content of their primary promotional materials.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 00:46 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

Well... If the proper marketing for a movie is watching a trailer and the correct marketing for a book is reading a sample then the proper marketing for a game would be playing a demo. In engine / out of engine trailers shouldn't even play a part of game marketing if we're sticking to the promotion that give the best sense of a game.

But then books have radio and tv ads which don't let you read the book. Movies have actor interviews and interactive websites that show other things than what's in the movie. Why shouldn't games also use alternate forms of promotion as long as they have a demo to give the true feel of the game?

by Oz Mills, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 02:43 (3993 days ago) @ Xenos

Ha. Seriously it's troubling to me that we have no idea what the game itself is about, moment to moment.

Right now all I'm doing with what's been released by Bungie is wondering when the PnP RPG is coming out. It seems perfect for that kind of thing. :)

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 10:45 (3992 days ago) @ Oz Mills

Ha. Seriously it's troubling to me that we have no idea what the game itself is about, moment to moment.

Right now all I'm doing with what's been released by Bungie is wondering when the PnP RPG is coming out. It seems perfect for that kind of thing. :)

It's crossed my mind -- briefly -- to try developing one. Y'know, when we know more about Destiny's universe.

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 09:17 (3992 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Color me wondering when the GAME portion of the game will be revealed. You know, what we're paying for.

Who cares? I'm still waiting for the Pimps at Sea gameplay reveal . . .

by yakaman, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 11:02 (3992 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have to agree. Everything I've seen to date regarding gaming on the horizon (XBO, PS4, Destiny) has been a whole lot of everything but the meat. Yes, E3 is likely provide some gluttony, but I still perceive Destiny as "Bungie does Borderlands" and I'm not sure really why I should be excited.

So Destiny is cross-platform, cool, deep, persistent, FPS with RPG elements, humans-in-apocalyptic-future-battle-consortium-of-baddies but totally not Halo. OK - so maybe it's just done supremely well and has to be experienced to be appreciated, but then stop with the ridiculous hyperbole. (Or maybe I should stop reading the mail sacks for a while?)

MS shows very little regarding gaming when they reveal their gaming console. PS4 doesn't really show anything except some pretty-looking software that is pretty similar to current-gen games. And yet people are already formulating opinions and picking sides?

Madness, all of it - we've seen nothing about anything. Why does this piss me off?

by kapowaz, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 11:22 (3992 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Last I heard you weren't planning on buying Destiny, so who's this ‘we’ you speak of…?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 19:03 (3992 days ago) @ kapowaz

Last I heard you weren't planning on buying Destiny, so who's this ‘we’ you speak of…?

How could I rule it out before I even know much about it? How could I even decide at this point when they haven't even pinned down what type of game it is?

by electricpirate @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 12:52 (3991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How could I rule it out before I even know much about it? How could I even decide at this point when they haven't even pinned down what type of game it is?

You've said this a couple of times and I'm not sure where it comes from, as we have a pretty good idea at this point.

It's an action RPG from the first person perspective (ala borderlands), with a matchmaking based system to dynamically share your world with other players (similar to Dark Souls) and containing large scale shared player hubs (ala PSO).

I mean, that leaves out a ton of details, and doesn't say anything of it's quality, but we have a pretty good idea of the genres the game encompasses and a high level view of how content is structured.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 00:00 (3990 days ago) @ electricpirate

You've said this a couple of times and I'm not sure where it comes from, as we have a pretty good idea at this point.

It's an action RPG from the first person perspective (ala borderlands), with a matchmaking based system to dynamically share your world with other players (similar to Dark Souls) and containing large scale shared player hubs (ala PSO).

I mean, that leaves out a ton of details, and doesn't say anything of it's quality, but we have a pretty good idea of the genres the game encompasses and a high level view of how content is structured.

That's pretty speculative. I think it's speculation on fairly solid ground, but it's still speculative.

In another thread, I saw someone ask how crafting would work. They're apparently inferring that from "action RPG" but nothing has been said about it, and I'd actually be pretty surprised if any was included. Clearly some people like that and are looking forward to it, and may be disappointed if it is not included, because to them, that's what "shared world action RPG" means.

So I do think it's too early for anyone to decide if they haven't taken the position that they're going to buy it because it's Bungie's next game. (Which is basically my position.)

My reaction to this news... [img]

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, May 22, 2013, 18:53 (3992 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread