Play Xbone games on Win10 PC's! (Gaming)

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 13:38 (3237 days ago)

http://news.xbox.com/2015/07/xbox-new-xbox-features-on-xbox-one-and-windows-10

This is interesting. So I'm assuming I don't need to carry around my Xbox if I want to play away from home?

Play Xbone games on Win10 PC's!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 19, 2015, 14:03 (3237 days ago) @ red robber

http://news.xbox.com/2015/07/xbox-new-xbox-features-on-xbox-one-and-windows-10

This is interesting. So I'm assuming I don't need to carry around my Xbox if I want to play away from home?

Not so simple, since input lag will be very noticeable, but yeah, I'm excited as well!

It also only works on LAN.

by UnrealCh13f @, San Luis Obispo, CA, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 15:07 (3237 days ago) @ ZackDark

You can't connect from outside your home network, so you can't game from a Starbucks.

Unless you want to VPN in, but then you're just asking for issues.

by DreadPirateWes, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 15:15 (3237 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

Just getting new win 10 laptop at work, have VPN at home, testing this soon!!!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 16:27 (3237 days ago) @ UnrealCh13f

You can't connect from outside your home network, so you can't game from a Starbucks.

Then what's the point? If I'm at home and want to play my Xbox, I'll utilize my Xbox, not my PC.

It's about bandwidth.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 16:33 (3237 days ago) @ cheapLEY

They want to make sure you have a good experience and not an awful one. They even suggest NOT using wireless of any kind.

But the utility of this is that Cruel can play Destiny on his laptop and not wake up his kidlet because he will be farther away.

Is it possible to stream while doing something else?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 19, 2015, 18:23 (3237 days ago) @ Funkmon

As in, stream a game while the Xbox itself is running Netflix?

Is it possible to stream while doing something else?

by Funkmon @, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 20:39 (3237 days ago) @ ZackDark

Nope.

Then I agree it is gimmicky

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, July 19, 2015, 20:50 (3237 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not saying they should/can do better, but I can only think of very few cases in which it would be useful.

Very useful for city living

by DreadPirateWes, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 23:40 (3237 days ago) @ ZackDark

This is very useful for city/small space living. Sometimes someone else has the TV/room with the Xbox and you can't play. Now you can!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, July 19, 2015, 23:42 (3237 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not saying they should/can do better, but I can only think of very few cases in which it would be useful.

I guess that was my point. I don't see it as something to get excited about, personally. Funkmon said Cruel could use it to avoid waking his kid. Is it not possible to just move the Xbox and accomplish the same thing? Maybe a pain in the ass, yes, but still seems more desirable than trying to stream to laptop. Granted, maybe that will work a lot more smoothly than I anticipate, but even if it does, it doesn't seem like something I would do.

Also, I'm not shit-talking. If this is helpful to anyone, even in only very specific cases, more power to them! I think that's great. I just don't really see that it's really that exciting. Now, if it could do it away from home, I'd understand where they're coming from. But now, the first thought that came to my mind was, "Why bother?"

by DiscipleN2k @, Edmond, OK, Monday, July 20, 2015, 01:00 (3237 days ago) @ ZackDark

I was actually pretty excited about it. I can leave the Xbox hooked up to the big TV in the living room where the kids have room to play Kinect games, but stream it to my PC when I want to play on my smaller, better display and free up the big TV for actually watching TV. I did a lot of moving back and forth before, but if they ever fix the chat while streaming issue, I may never have to move it again.

-Disciple

Plus side: use VPN to buy from Xur when out of town

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, July 20, 2015, 16:53 (3236 days ago) @ ZackDark

may be gimmicky, but it does have very limited potential for xursday.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread