I think Destiny PS3 is the community-friendly choice.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:00 (3996 days ago)

When discussing the possibility of 4 discrete Destiny game networks, it becomes necessary for communities to coordinate so that we will be able to play with our friends and fellow community members. While I realize that we are all hungry for the new consoles, I believe it would be most inclusive to play Destiny on the PS3.

The price of the PS3 console is becoming less prohibitive. I purchased one this past December for $220. By the time Destiny is released, it may be as low as $150 or $100. Voice chat is supported through any USB or Bluetooth headset, which most people have already or could get from a wide variety of retailers at low cost, if necessary. And finally, there are no additional subscription costs to play the game over PSN.

What are the benefits and obstacles you see with the console you think is an ideal choice for the community? I realize the PS3 may not be as prolific among the Destiny community because of the Xbox-Halo relationship that brought many of us here. I also realize many (including myself) feel that the Dual-Shock 3 is not the best shooter controller. However, I do think that these disadvantages are outweighed by the benefits of having a unified, connected community.

I think Destiny Xbox 360 is the community-friendly choice.

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:16 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I might be mistaken, but I assume DBO's forum/community to be mostly populated from people who came over from HBO's forum/community--a site focused on an Xbox-exclusive franchise. It makes sense that the majority of people at DBO would already own an Xbox 360.

The price of something we already own is much less than the price of buying a PS3.

I'm considering the XBO, though. We'll see how things shape up over the next year and a half.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:25 (3996 days ago) @ petetheduck

I might be mistaken, but I assume DBO's forum/community to be mostly populated from people who came over from HBO's forum/community--a site focused on an Xbox-exclusive franchise. It makes sense that the majority of people at DBO would already own an Xbox 360.

The price of something we already own is much less than the price of buying a PS3.

I'm considering the XBO, though. We'll see how things shape up over the next year and a half.

The thing is that people don't factor in the cost of Xbox LIVE. The cost of a subscription for two years could potentially cover the cost of a PS3 used to play Destiny for two years. If your gaming interests consist primarily of playing the most current Bungie game, you may not need that subscription after Destiny releases.

by petetheduck, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 07:37 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

The thing is that people don't factor in the cost of Xbox LIVE. The cost of a subscription for two years could potentially cover the cost of a PS3 used to play Destiny for two years.

You can usually get 12 months of Xbox Live on sale for $45, sometimes as low as $40. The last time mine expired, I took advantage of a promotion and got 1 month for $1. The time before that, there was another promotion.. I think it was something like 3 months for $5 or something.

Sure, eventually, given enough years, it would be cheaper to avoid the online subscription fee.. but that doesn't seem like a very convincing reason to buy a PS3. If it was, I would've bought a PS3 in the first place, instead of an Xbox 360.

Hey, it might work for you. And if Bungie can't work some magic and permit cross-platform play, I have no doubt that we'll have sufficient community members to play with on all 4 systems.

At the very least

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 15:07 (3996 days ago) @ petetheduck

I want synchronous Bungie saves across all consoles

This would be the best of all worlds

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, May 24, 2013, 04:57 (3995 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 08:48 (3990 days ago) @ petetheduck

Sure, eventually, given enough years, it would be cheaper to avoid the online subscription fee.. but that doesn't seem like a very convincing reason to buy a PS3. If it was, I would've bought a PS3 in the first place, instead of an Xbox 360.

That calculation also assumes that Destiny is the only reason I have XBL. Which it isn't.

I do agree with the OP that, in theory, the PS3 is the most cost effective way for a large group of people to obtain a machine to play Destiny together on. But this assumes that said group is starting from a point where they're definitely going to need to lay out cash for one system or the other (and said system's associated online subscription, where applicable). It also assumes that Destiny is the only game involved. Whereas the reality is that many of us have already bought other consoles and online (XBL) subscriptions, and may be keeping them in order to play other games regardless of where Destiny goes. That being said, I suppose for someone who is in the situation of not already owning any major console, get a PS3. :)

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 09:22 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I already have a 360, so I will initially be playing Destiny on that. I don't have much desire to own a PS3 now, although if a good chunk of the community decided to buy PS3s for Destiny, I would consider it.

I am right there with you, as I am sure many other community members are, in your desire to keep the community playing together in Destiny. I hope we can work something out when the game releases. We'll just have to wait and see.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 15:31 (3996 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I already have a 360, so I will initially be playing Destiny on that. I don't have much desire to own a PS3 now, although if a good chunk of the community decided to buy PS3s for Destiny, I would consider it.

I am right there with you, as I am sure many other community members are, in your desire to keep the community playing together in Destiny. I hope we can work something out when the game releases. We'll just have to wait and see.

I was assuming most of us would be playing on the 360 initially but that was before I learned the XBone and PS4 are actually scheduled for a Fall 2013 release. I'm probably way behind the times but I was thinking they wouldn't be available until sometime after Destiny came out. I'll definitely be getting Destiny for one of the newer consoles if they're already on the market at release. PS4 is looking like a good bet at this point with all the Bungie support.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 15:39 (3996 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

I'll definitely be getting Destiny for one of the newer consoles if they're already on the market at release. PS4 is looking like a good bet at this point with all the Bungie support.

If the consoles are around long enough to have been adequately reviewed, then I'll probably do the same thing.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 08:53 (3990 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Yeah, same here on the release schedule - I assumed 360 to start with. However, knowing what we know now, and since Forza 5 is a launch title for the XBOne, I will be getting an XBOne immediately. So at that point, I'll probably see whether I have more friends playing Destiny on 360 or on XBOne, and buy accordingly.

I do have a PS3, but I use it very little. I think I have 3 people on my friends list, none of whom I actually play online with. So that doesn't really factor in, unless there's a mass exodus of the B.Org community to the PS3 for some reason.

And when Destiny 2, 3 and 4 come out?

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 09:34 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

Consider the following inequalities:

CostOfPS3@Destiny1Launch + CostOfPS4@Destiny2Launch > CostOfPS4@Destiny1Launch

CostOfPS3@Destiny1Launch + CostOfPS4@Destiny2Launch < CostOfPS4@Destiny1Launch

Which is most likely to be correct?

Show your working and state your sources.

And when Destiny 2, 3 and 4 come out?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 10:06 (3996 days ago) @ RC

Consider the following inequalities:

CostOfPS3@Destiny1Launch + CostOfPS4@Destiny2Launch > CostOfPS4@Destiny1Launch

CostOfPS3@Destiny1Launch + CostOfPS4@Destiny2Launch < CostOfPS4@Destiny1Launch

Which is most likely to be correct?

Show your working and state your sources.

That is an excellent point, and there is the question of whether PSN on the PS4 will start charging a monthly fee. If so, the cost of just getting the PS4 now would probably be quite a bit more because of that additional service charge. Something to keep in mind.

Also consider

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 11:06 (3996 days ago) @ RC

That your current-gen copy of Destiny 1 WILL NOT play on either of the next-gen systems. So you'll have to haul out the old boxes just to step back in time on the same series.

Also consider

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 06:51 (3994 days ago) @ RC

That your current-gen copy of Destiny 1 WILL NOT play on either of the next-gen systems. So you'll have to haul out the old boxes just to step back in time on the same series.

Or buy a copy of the 1st game for the new platform when you buy the 2nd game to go with that platform. It'd be on sale by then, and possibly for direct download.

Since both new platforms have ditched backwards compatibility, they both have the same problem, so there's no reason to pick one over the other due to which you chose last generation.

Probably more relevant for 360 owners since eventually they'll all fail, and even if MS keeps them on sale, I'm not sure I see the point. Too bad MS killed the idea of hardware compatibility through a peripheral.

Also consider

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 08:44 (3994 days ago) @ narcogen

Probably more relevant for 360 owners since eventually they'll all fail…

PS3's will last forever and ever?

Also consider

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 09:52 (3993 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Probably more relevant for 360 owners since eventually they'll all fail…

PS3's will last forever and ever?

My PS1 is still kicking.

Actually my old NES that operates VCR style is still kicking.

Also consider

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 11:08 (3993 days ago) @ Cody Miller

All my 360s, ever, are also still working. 3/3 of my Sega Genesises are not.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 10:13 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

The ultimate choice would have course been Mac/PC/Linux.

Since it's always connected, there's zero chance of piracy. No fragmentation since anyone with a client can connect to the same server as everybody else. Keyboard / Mouse FPS awesomeness. PC game sales made more money last year than console game sales.

From where I'm sitting, the ultimate social shared world shooter should have been that.

As for your assertion, Destiny is a 10 year property, so I very much doubt in 10 years the PS3 / Xbox 360 will get the new content. If you intend to stay, you gotta go next gen. That would make PS4 the best choice.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:41 (3996 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The ultimate choice would have course been Mac/PC/Linux.

Since it's always connected, there's zero chance of piracy. No fragmentation since anyone with a client can connect to the same server as everybody else. Keyboard / Mouse FPS awesomeness. PC game sales made more money last year than console game sales.

From where I'm sitting, the ultimate social shared world shooter should have been that.

As for your assertion, Destiny is a 10 year property, so I very much doubt in 10 years the PS3 / Xbox 360 will get the new content. If you intend to stay, you gotta go next gen. That would make PS4 the best choice.

I am reluctantly forced to agree.

As I still have working 360s, that'd probably be my first choice, but only because no PC or Mac version has been annouced. Otherwise I'd go for that.

Right now neither of the next-gen consoles particularly interests me, but the Xbone interests me less than either the PS4 or the 360s I already own.

Microsoft's recent assertion that "backwards compatibility makes you backwards" I find unintentionally hilarious, as their entire WIndows hegemony was built directly upon it. I was grateful to have backwards compatibility on the 360. Given the 360's notorious hardware problems, it would be even more valuable to have in the Xbone. I wonder how many cents per unit they are saving by not implementing that.

Right now it is hard to imagine why I'd want the new Xbox. I just can't think of a reason.

Backwards Compatibility

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:45 (3996 days ago) @ narcogen

Definitely don't disagree that backwards compatibility should be a bigger priority for both Microsoft and Sony, but it is a little tougher to emulate the 360 then past consoles, one major reason being because it is built upon PowerPC. Remember people trying to get Windows games running on Mac before the Intel days? Or even worse, the crappy Mac emulators for PC? If I remember right the fastest they could get Mac emulation running on Windows was 15x slower. Anyway, my main point is I think it would probably cost more than pennies per unit. I still think they could do it, but I'd personally prefer them to focus on making the console and platform better. Whether they do/did that remains to be seen...

Backwards Compatibility

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Friday, May 24, 2013, 05:57 (3995 days ago) @ Xenos

Definitely don't disagree that backwards compatibility should be a bigger priority for both Microsoft and Sony, but it is a little tougher to emulate the 360 then past consoles, one major reason being because it is built upon PowerPC. Remember people trying to get Windows games running on Mac before the Intel days? Or even worse, the crappy Mac emulators for PC? If I remember right the fastest they could get Mac emulation running on Windows was 15x slower. Anyway, my main point is I think it would probably cost more than pennies per unit. I still think they could do it, but I'd personally prefer them to focus on making the console and platform better. Whether they do/did that remains to be seen...

Yup!

Which is sort of what I'm getting at. If the PPC-based 360 was able to much more easily emulate the x86 Xbox that was only a few years old, but the x86 based Xbone cannot emulate the nearly nine year old PPC-based 360... then perhaps both platforms are cheaping out now on their architecture.

I can see why they would not do it, but for me, at this moment, there are no exclusives I'm that interested in. It'd be a no brainer to go for Destiny on the Xbone if it also played all the games I already had, protecting them from the fragility and unreliability of the 360.

Now-- at BEST-- it's a tossup. The recent event so far indicates to me that Microsoft is spending most of their energy and investment on features I don't care about-- although to be fair, that has been true for awhile, and is the reason why my consoles are now set to boot to the disc and not the dash. Which presumably won't even work on the Xbone since games have to be installed. That way they will be sure that no one can do anything on the console without seeing at least one ad!

So I can get Destiny for my 360 assuming it doesn't fail in the next year, but after that... well, I'm hoping for a Mac or PC release, and if not, I may be taking a PS4 for a spin at some point.

Backwards Compatibility

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, May 24, 2013, 11:31 (3995 days ago) @ narcogen

Now-- at BEST-- it's a tossup. The recent event so far indicates to me that Microsoft is spending most of their energy and investment on features I don't care about-- although to be fair, that has been true for awhile, and is the reason why my consoles are now set to boot to the disc and not the dash. Which presumably won't even work on the Xbone since games have to be installed. That way they will be sure that no one can do anything on the console without seeing at least one ad!

Welcome to the future. You'll never earn all those sweet, sweet achievements with an attitude like that. You're going to watch TV, movies, and advertisements on your Xbone and you're going to like it, buddy.

-wut?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 24, 2013, 16:21 (3995 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

- No text -

-wut?

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Friday, May 24, 2013, 22:07 (3995 days ago) @ ZackDark

I was just sarcastically pointing out some more stupid Microsoft news in response to narc's comment about useless features cluttering the dashboard. They filed patents last year on an achievements/reward system for watching television, movies, and advertisements.

"To increase interactive viewing and encourage a user to watch one or more particular items of video content, awards and achievements may be tied to those items of video content."

"Additionally, by tying the awards and achievements to particular items of video or advertising content, viewers may be encouraged to increase their viewership of the content, thus increasing advertising opportunities,"

Oh yay, finally I can earn an achievement for watching advertisements or the latest episode of [Sponsored Television Show]. Microsoft is trying to sell the Xbone as this all-encompassing television/movie/phonecall media-center, when it seems like literally no-one cares about all that shit in a gaming console.

-wut?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 01:06 (3995 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

Oh yay, finally I can earn an achievement for watching advertisements or the latest episode of [Sponsored Television Show]. Microsoft is trying to sell the Xbone as this all-encompassing television/movie/phonecall media-center, when it seems like literally no-one cares about all that shit in a gaming console.

On the bright side, by browsing your friend's achievements, you know whom you can talk spoilers with around the water cooler!

Unless the achievements themselves are spoilers.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 25, 2013, 09:28 (3994 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Snape Kills Dumbledore - 100 G

by Avateur @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 18:47 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Darth Vader is Luke's Father - 100G

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 20:01 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Watch Prometheus; Don't Question the Logic - 1000 G

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 20:06 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Bruce Willis is a ghost - 50G

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 20:25 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Verbal Kint is Keyser Söze - 200G

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:15 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

I'm glad you changed it.

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:37 (3991 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...but the forum RSS feed caught your first one. :(

I've only read the first three so far; just trying to stay ahead of the TV show.

"Destiny" was the name of his childhood sled. - 25G

by ncsuDuncan @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:22 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

After they got LOST, they died - 1000G

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:37 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Blue yourself. 10 GS

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 21:39 (3991 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Backwards Compatibility

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Friday, May 24, 2013, 11:44 (3995 days ago) @ narcogen

Which is sort of what I'm getting at. If the PPC-based 360 was able to much more easily emulate the x86 Xbox that was only a few years old, but the x86 based Xbone cannot emulate the nearly nine year old PPC-based 360... then perhaps both platforms are cheaping out now on their architecture.

The 360's backwards compatibility was a software emulation of the OXbox, and worked for only something like less-than-50% of the library of the Original Xbox.

I'm guessing they didn't want to invest in the resources of repeating the same mistake because no matter what, somebody would be unhappy that not 100% of 360 games work. The alternative would be to literally put the 360 hardware into the XBone, which again -- more trouble than it's worth, and drives up MFG costs like what Sony ran into. That's why they eventually removed the PS2 hardware from the PS3 so that they could get the price of the PS3 down to an almost affordable level.

by electricpirate @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 12:33 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

Unless the PC version gets announced (which I still believe will happen) I'll stick with the 360, since I have one of those, and I don't plan on buying a PS4 or XBone.

Or, alternatively, a boycott?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 14:42 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

When discussing the possibility of 4 discrete Destiny game networks, it becomes necessary for communities to coordinate so that we will be able to play with our friends and fellow community members. While I realize that we are all hungry for the new consoles, I believe it would be most inclusive to play Destiny on the PS3.

The price of the PS3 console is becoming less prohibitive. I purchased one this past December for $220. By the time Destiny is released, it may be as low as $150 or $100. Voice chat is supported through any USB or Bluetooth headset, which most people have already or could get from a wide variety of retailers at low cost, if necessary. And finally, there are no additional subscription costs to play the game over PSN.

What are the benefits and obstacles you see with the console you think is an ideal choice for the community? I realize the PS3 may not be as prolific among the Destiny community because of the Xbox-Halo relationship that brought many of us here. I also realize many (including myself) feel that the Dual-Shock 3 is not the best shooter controller. However, I do think that these disadvantages are outweighed by the benefits of having a unified, connected community.

This is an excellent opportunity to boycott the entire endevour. Yes, a lot of this is coming from annoyance at what XBOX One is trying to do, along with the hope Destiny will get released on PC. Yes, there's still a long way to until Destiny releases, but generally speaking with video games, the bullshit has been growing steadily.

Anyway, just throwing out a possibly dissident opinion there. I may or may not actually hold it.

Some clarification.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:25 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs
edited by HiredN00bs, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:35

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that whatever platform on which we prefer to play Destiny, it would help, at least while the franchise is in its infancy, to have a common place we could go as a community to connect within the game. So while I might primarily play the Xbox 360 version of Destiny and therefore also have an Xbox LIVE Gold account, person B might primarily play on the Xbox One which is incompatible, and person C might play on the PS4 and have a 360 but not have a Gold account. By the time Destiny releases, it would be possible for us all to play and chat together on the PS3 version for no more than a couple hundred bucks a piece from scratch. It's a backup plan for finding common ground in a splintered community. It is the lowest cost starting point for playing Destiny that includes the PS3 newcomers we will soon welcome into the Bungie family.

Hopefully Bungie can work out cross-platform play for the sequels. PS3 <-> PS4 network play would also make Destiny on PS a better choice, IMO, but we have to wait and see on that.

Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 17:59 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that whatever platform on which we prefer to play Destiny, it would help, at least while the franchise is in its infancy, to have a common place we could go as a community to connect within the game. So while I might primarily play the Xbox 360 version of Destiny and therefore also have an Xbox LIVE Gold account, person B might primarily play on the Xbox One which is incompatible, and person C might play on the PS4 and have a 360 but not have a Gold account. By the time Destiny releases, it would be possible for us all to play and chat together on the PS3 version for no more than a couple hundred bucks a piece from scratch. It's a backup plan for finding common ground in a splintered community. It is the lowest cost starting point for playing Destiny that includes the PS3 newcomers we will soon welcome into the Bungie family.

Hopefully Bungie can work out cross-platform play for the sequels. PS3 <-> PS4 network play would also make Destiny on PS a better choice, IMO.

That's a hard sale. I heartily welcome PS3 newcomers, but the fact is that very few of us is starting from zero, which is what your argument is based on. I'm sure Pete's right. The vast majority here are 360 owners. Many of us have large libraries of 360 games. The vast majority already have a social network on the 360 (including each other). The Gold account is paid for. I, for one, pick up a year sub just about every time they go on sale. Less than $4 per month is a cheaper than a meal at McDonald's. The lowest cost starting point for the majority here is to stick with what they have, and that would also enable us to play together. There's also this: if I am going to have two consoles, I want one of them to be a next-generation model. Considering all these factors, buying a different system on its last legs to play a game I can already play on what I have makes no sense.

Some clarification.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 18:13 (3996 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by HiredN00bs, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 18:18

That's a hard sale. I heartily welcome PS3 newcomers, but the fact is that very few of us is starting from zero, which is what your argument is based on.

I realize few are starting from zero; many already have a PS3. Personally, I can't justify paying Microsoft any longer for Xbox LIVE to play Bungie's games online when there is a free alternative now. I know much of my social network on LIVE is ready to go PS4 and dislike what Microsoft is doing with Halo.

Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:15 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

That's a hard sale. I heartily welcome PS3 newcomers, but the fact is that very few of us is starting from zero, which is what your argument is based on.

I realize few are starting from zero; many already have a PS3.

And many more don't. I recognize most of the names here from HBO, so I'm pretty certain most have a 360. I'm sure many of those have a PS3, too, but the majority don't.

Personally, I can't justify paying Microsoft any longer for Xbox LIVE to play Bungie's games online when there is a free alternative now.

I respect your personal preference, but it is just that. You made an argument about the most community-friendly console. Others in the community wouldn't make the same calculation. For instance, they may like other games, or older Bungie games, and still want to play them online.

I submit that the PS3 is the least community-friendly console for Destiny and it always will be. I'm sure Bungie is going to a do a kickass job of building up their playstation fan base, but they've barely had a presence there before, and their Xbox fanbase has had a ten-year head start. When you consider that a number of current PS3 gamers are going to upgrade to a PS4, between the four platforms we know about, the PS3 is almost certain to have the smallest number of Destiny players, and that number will get smaller over time.

I know much of my social network on LIVE is ready to go PS4 and dislike what Microsoft is doing with Halo.

Exactly. I don't recall hearing anyone in this community talk about buying a PS3 so they could play it. Everyone's talking nextgen. That's where the interest is.

The PS4 might end up being the community-friendly choice, but the PS3? No. It just doesn't add up.

Kermit

P.S. I have nothing against the PS3.

Some clarification.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:32 (3996 days ago) @ Kermit

I know much of my social network on LIVE is ready to go PS4 and dislike what Microsoft is doing with Halo.

Exactly. I don't recall hearing anyone in this community talk about buying a PS3 so they could play it. Everyone's talking nextgen. That's where the interest is.

The PS4 might end up being the community-friendly choice, but the PS3? No. It just doesn't add up.

Kermit

P.S. I have nothing against the PS3.

Something interesting I've noticed: PS gamers/owners seem to be plenty happy with what they are getting next-gen; XBox gamers/owners....eh, not so much. I am really looking forward to E3 to see if this changes at all, otherwise, I think you are right about the PS4 being the community-friendly choice.

Some clarification.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:45 (3996 days ago) @ Kermit

I submit that the PS3 is the least community-friendly console for Destiny and it always will be. I'm sure Bungie is going to a do a kickass job of building up their playstation fan base, but they've barely had a presence there before, and their Xbox fanbase has had a ten-year head start. When you consider that a number of current PS3 gamers are going to upgrade to a PS4, between the four platforms we know about, the PS3 is almost certain to have the smallest number of Destiny players, and that number will get smaller over time.

I think he still has a valid point. The PS3 is the cheapest option, so it does present itself as a backup, after, of course, you already purchase your system of choice. It is the cheapest option in addition to your own choice, which makes it a good choice for community-wide meetups, assuming it is severely fragmented.

I don't think it'll come to that, but I hadn't considered that option before and I like having options.

Some clarification.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Friday, May 24, 2013, 14:11 (3995 days ago) @ ZackDark

Thank you! Someone finally gets what I'm trying to say. PS3 is budget Destiny and buys at least the first two years of play in the universe.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony ended up selling a bundle for $200.

Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 10:34 (3994 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

The problem is that the validity of the proposition depends on everyone agreeing with you.

Naturally

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, May 25, 2013, 10:50 (3994 days ago) @ Kermit

Hope we don't get too fragmented, either way. Always had a blast playing with any subset of HBO's community.

Naturally

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 11:38 (3994 days ago) @ ZackDark

Hope we don't get too fragmented, either way. Always had a blast playing with any subset of HBO's community.

That's my hope, too!

Some clarification.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 18:39 (3994 days ago) @ Kermit

The problem is that the validity of the proposition depends on everyone agreeing with you.

This seems to be a pointless dispute. We're going to be fragmented, there's no doubt about that. This is merely one idea that could have varying degrees of effectiveness. I haven't really heard anyone go into any depth on the pros and cons of their alternative proposals, besides Pete, if they even bothered to present any at all.

The Xbox 360 is a good option for community meets because most of us have them already as well as Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions. However, a lot of people seem to be favoring the PS4 right now, and may not wish to continue their Gold subscriptions if they pass or wait on the Xbox One. If the PS3 and PS4 versions of Destiny end up being network-compatible, those who get the PS4 are covered for community meets on the PS3 which is another advantage for that option.

Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 20:16 (3994 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

This seems to be a pointless dispute. We're going to be fragmented, there's no doubt about that. This is merely one idea that could have varying degrees of effectiveness. I haven't really heard anyone go into any depth on the pros and cons of their alternative proposals, besides Pete, if they even bothered to present any at all.

The Xbox 360 is a good option for community meets because most of us have them already as well as Xbox LIVE Gold subscriptions. However, a lot of people seem to be favoring the PS4 right now, and may not wish to continue their Gold subscriptions if they pass or wait on the Xbox One. If the PS3 and PS4 versions of Destiny end up being network-compatible, those who get the PS4 are covered for community meets on the PS3 which is another advantage for that option.

I thought Narc did a good job. They way RC presented his argument he didn't have to go into depth. I'm sorry you don't think I did--I purposely tried to not retread too much of Pete's argument. It would be fantastic if PS3 and PS4 are network-compatible, and that does bolster your case, but I still think it's a hard sale. Most people wanting to buy a new console are wanting to buy a NEW console. Yes, a lot of people may agree with you about the Gold account, but based of what I've heard, Xbox Live has consistently been a better service than PSN. And despite all the Halo negativity in this community, a lot of people may want to stick with it because they still have an interest in Halo. People are not making this decision in a vacuum, and who knows what other factors we'll know before launch.

Besides my hatred of the controllers, I'd really like to have a PS3 if I had the time and money to enjoy it. I'm not particularly interested in having two last-generation consoles, though. I doubt many people are who don't already have both. I get that you don't want to pay for a Gold account, and you want most of the people in the community to to be able to play with you. I think it's fine to hope for that. I suspect that most people here, though, are thinking they'll be in this for the long haul. That's another reason they're saving their pennies for next gen hardware. If Destiny ends up on PC, though, all bets are off. We'll see.

Some clarification.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, May 27, 2013, 11:42 (3992 days ago) @ Kermit

If Destiny ends up on PC, though, all bets are off. We'll see.

To elaborate a bit more myself, a big point for me is money I've already spent on my new PC, and a desire to see/hear Destiny with the performance provided by that machine. After going from Skyrim (or DX:HR or Civ or Fallout) on the 360 to the PC, I just do not want to play Destiny on 360 (or PS3). Sure, going to a high school hockey game can be fun, but I want the NHL playoffs.

And after mentioning the money spent, there's no ability for me to buy an XBONE or PS4. In my world, there's just zero sense to not wait for a PC release. My alternative to Hired's solution is wait, and if it never happens, possibly forgo completely.

I'm also theoretically opposed to the new console generation, but for reasons I can't entirely articulate yet. It just feels like gaming is going into a dark age, where the kind of games we'll have coming out are the kinds of things in movies that Singing in the Rain made fun of all those years ago. I've got very little faith in AAA studios - Bethesda, Bungie, and Irrational are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that might make really vital stuff. But there's no guarantee any of them won't pull a Bioware and jump a shark.

Some clarification.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:52 (3996 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

I guess the point I'm trying to get at is that whatever platform on which we prefer to play Destiny, it would help, at least while the franchise is in its infancy, to have a common place we could go as a community to connect within the game.

Agreed!

So while I might primarily play the Xbox 360 version of Destiny and therefore also have an Xbox LIVE Gold account, person B might primarily play on the Xbox One which is incompatible

We don't know that yet at all. While we know the Xbox One is not backwards compatible, binary-wise (meaning it can't play 360 games, and of course the Destiny disc for the Xbox One will not play in a 360) that is entirely different from saying there is no cross-platform play on Xbox Live between 360 owners and Xbox One owners. That has certainly not been confirmed, but I have also not seen it ruled out. Theoretically it should be possible. This, I think, is just the first time that a transition between two console generations has occurred while online multiplayer is such a huge focus, while at the same time, a third party developer is releasing a multiplayer-centric game simultaneously on both old and new versions of two competing platforms.

We know the Sony and Microsoft platforms don't talk to each other, and we know that Halo games on Windows didn't talk to Xbox versions, but if MS really wanted to make the new platform a hit right away, being able to play online with 360 owners on games that exist on both generations could be a big advantage.

Or else, who knows, they didn't think about it or just can't implement it for whatever reason.

, and person C might play on the PS4 and have a 360 but not have a Gold account. By the time Destiny releases, it would be possible for us all to play and chat together on the PS3 version for no more than a couple hundred bucks a piece from scratch. It's a backup plan for finding common ground in a splintered community. It is the lowest cost starting point for playing Destiny that includes the PS3 newcomers we will soon welcome into the Bungie family.

$220 for a PS3 plus $60 for Destiny is $280. That doesn't work out for a 360 silver owner, as you can easily buy 4-5 years worth of XBL Gold for the price of the PS3. If you already have a 360, it's cheaper to get gold than buy an additional old platform. By the time you've saved money on Gold by getting a PS3, Destiny 2 will be out and probably won't be released for either Xbox 360 or PS3, and you'd have to get a new console anyway.

Right now I'd say the best platforms for the Destiny community would be:

1) PC/Mac if it existed
2) Xbox 360
3) PS4
4) PS3
5) Xbox One

I'd jump the Xbone up a spot or even into a third place tie if MS would confirm online play works between the 360 and Xbone versions of Destiny or other games released on both platforms.

Hopefully Bungie can work out cross-platform play for the sequels. PS3 <-> PS4 network play would also make Destiny on PS a better choice, IMO, but we have to wait and see on that.

I'd still put either the 360 or the PS4 ahead of the PS3. The PS4 has the advantage that it'll be getting future Destiny games, and presumably Sony will be keeping PSN free while continuing to improve it, perhaps someday reaching performance and feature parity with XBL. Neither the PS3 nor the 360 will be getting those future games, and at some point, XBL support for the 360 will be dropped.

Some clarification.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:51 (3996 days ago) @ narcogen

If PSN does end up being free I think it'll become my choice for Destiny. I'm a little worried it won't be though, for one they didn't come out and say it yet (would be a major selling point, no reason to not at least mention it) and there have been a few rumors that it won't be free. I really hope it is though *crosses fingers*

Some clarification.

by Reconcilliation @, Imagination Station, Friday, May 24, 2013, 00:39 (3996 days ago) @ narcogen

1) PC/Mac if it existed
2) Xbox 360
3) PS4
4) PS3
5) Xbox One

I very much agree with this list, in whole.

Some concerns.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:18 (3995 days ago) @ narcogen

1) PC/Mac if it existed
2) Xbox 360
3) PS4
4) PS3
5) Xbox One

I'd jump the Xbone up a spot or even into a third place tie if MS would confirm online play works between the 360 and Xbone versions of Destiny or other games released on both platforms.

I agree with this list.

Personally, I'm probably looking at the 360 version or hypothetical PC version.

However, I find that I'm in the same boat as Jill down below. I'm not sure if I even want to get involved *at all* with the next generation of consoles at this point. I'm thinking it'd be better for me to buy a hardware-emulation PS3 (to play all those delicious PS1 and PS2 games as well as PSN games), upgrade my PC, and buy a Wii or a Wii U to make my Zelda console. And I could get all three of those for about $500, which is probably what those consoles are going to be hovering around. (I just saw a PS3 with nine sports games go for $120 on eBay right now. So, yeah.)

E3 sure is going to be an interesting time for me.

Some concerns.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:32 (3995 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

And I could get all three of those for about $500, which is probably what those consoles are going to be hovering around.

Gamestop claims that both the XBox One and the PS4 will cost less at launch than the 360 and PS3 cost at launch. Meaning the XBox One should be less than $400 at least, and the PS3 less than $600 at least. If the XBox One is $300 or less I will most likely get one regardless of used game concerns that is not bad for a console.

Some concerns.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:47 (3995 days ago) @ Xenos

And I could get all three of those for about $500, which is probably what those consoles are going to be hovering around.

Gamestop claims that both the XBox One and the PS4 will cost less at launch than the 360 and PS3 cost at launch. Meaning the XBox One should be less than $400 at least, and the PS3 less than $600 at least. If the XBox One is $300 or less I will most likely get one regardless of used game concerns that is not bad for a console.

Wow, the Xbone being less than $400 at launch would be VERY surprising. I don't see how it'll be possible though, what, with them all having mandatory Kinects bundled...

Some concerns.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:19 (3990 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I'm thinking it'd be better for me to buy a hardware-emulation PS3 (to play all those delicious PS1 and PS2 games as well as PSN games)

For what it's worth, I bought one of those models on eBay over 3 years ago (at which point it was probably already 3-4 years old), and it's still going strong.

Some clarification.

by HiredN00bs ⌂ @, Silver Spring, MD, Friday, May 24, 2013, 14:22 (3995 days ago) @ narcogen

We don't know that yet at all. While we know the Xbox One is not backwards compatible, binary-wise (meaning it can't play 360 games, and of course the Destiny disc for the Xbox One will not play in a 360) that is entirely different from saying there is no cross-platform play on Xbox Live between 360 owners and Xbox One owners. That has certainly not been confirmed, but I have also not seen it ruled out. Theoretically it should be possible.

http://www.videogamer.com/news/microsoft_rules_out_xbox_one_xbox_360_cross-platform_play.html

Some clarification.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:20 (3990 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

Okay.jpg

Some clarification.

by Jillybean, Friday, May 24, 2013, 03:10 (3995 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

Much as I love you guys, I'm probably not going to be making my next console purchasing choice based on who I want to play with.

For one, Destiny is not the only game I'll ever play on the console. For two, I don't have the kind of disposable income to make 'wrong' choice and I'll have to consider the implications of my purchase carefully. For three, I really, really hate those PS controllers and I wish they'd fix them. For four, I'm not sure I'll be participating in the new console generation until someone convinces me I want to.
/grumpy

Some clarification.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 24, 2013, 05:02 (3995 days ago) @ Jillybean

Much as I love you guys, I'm probably not going to be making my next console purchasing choice based on who I want to play with.

For one, Destiny is not the only game I'll ever play on the console. For two, I don't have the kind of disposable income to make 'wrong' choice and I'll have to consider the implications of my purchase carefully. For three, I really, really hate those PS controllers and I wish they'd fix them. For four, I'm not sure I'll be participating in the new console generation until someone convinces me I want to.
/grumpy

Okay, I lied when I said I had nothing against the PS3. I despise those controllers, too. HATE them!

Some clarification.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 24, 2013, 10:08 (3995 days ago) @ Jillybean

For two, I don't have the kind of disposable income to make 'wrong' choice and I'll have to consider the implications of my purchase carefully.

What's the world coming to when a PhD can't buy you a game console?!

Some clarification.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 10:21 (3995 days ago) @ Cody Miller

For two, I don't have the kind of disposable income to make 'wrong' choice and I'll have to consider the implications of my purchase carefully.

What's the world coming to when a PhD can't buy you a game console?!

Technology. Haha. I get paid more for my personal (not even professional) knowledge of technology than I do for my Bachelor's in Graphic Design by more than double.

Some clarification.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:23 (3990 days ago) @ Jillybean

From what I've seen of the PS4 controllers, they are fixing them. The hand-holds are curved, much more like a 360 controller than a PS3. Also, I think they moved the sticks.

Final judgement reserved until I've actually held one, of course. But initial impressions from the photos sure look like they're trying to make it more comfortable to hold.

Some clarification.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:05 (3990 days ago) @ HiredN00bs

That's an interesting thought. I've already deemed play between XBox and PlayStation platforms impossible, due to both technical reasons and politics. But play between PS3 and PS4, or 360 and XBOne, MIGHT be theoretically possible. Obviously it depends a lot on the architecture of Sony and MS' networks, both on the current-gen consoles and the next-gen (which we know nothing about yet). But still, it at least MIGHT be possible.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread