For the first time in my life a Sony E3 event is my priority

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 19:59 (3990 days ago)

It's always been Nintendo and Microsoft. I have barely even watched the Sony press conferences beyond maybe 20 minutes tops and the Sony game trailers after the fact.

Last year was the first year where I didn't even care about E3 at all. It was weird. I didn't even watch any of the press conferences. Now I'm ready to book that day just for Sony and Bungie. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get a PS4 or 3 or anything like that, but they definitely have my attention and a chance at my business. How's everyone else feeling about June 10? :D

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 20:26 (3990 days ago) @ Avateur

Sony definitely has my eyes and ears this year, though I will surely watch the MS conference, if only to see if they either climb out of the proverbial ditch they have dug themselves or only dig themselves deeper.

*Announcing for the first time on this stage exclusive content for the Xbox One, available when you pre-order Dogs of... I mean COD: Ghosts, a cat skin for your animal sidekick, for all you cat lovers out there!

Joking aside, though I am currently in favor of the PS4, I want to see what both companies have to offer and will do my best to catch both conferences live.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:00 (3990 days ago) @ Avateur
edited by Stephen Laughlin, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:23

It's always been Nintendo and Microsoft. I have barely even watched the Sony press conferences beyond maybe 20 minutes tops and the Sony game trailers after the fact.

Last year was the first year where I didn't even care about E3 at all. It was weird. I didn't even watch any of the press conferences. Now I'm ready to book that day just for Sony and Bungie. Doesn't mean I'm gonna get a PS4 or 3 or anything like that, but they definitely have my attention and a chance at my business. How's everyone else feeling about June 10? :D

I feel pretty much the same. This is a whole new ballgame.

Last time I gave a shit about E3 was maybe 2004 with the Halo 2 demo and fanfest shenanigans. I never paid much attention to Sony but Microsoft is looking MIGHTY weak this year without Bungie to pilot their flagship. By far the best thing to come out of the XBone reveal has been the internet's reaction.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:25 (3990 days ago) @ Stephen Laughlin

One: those were hilarious.

Two: Microsoft has gone completely out of their skulls insane. If consoles aren't already dying-- and I don't think I'm wasting my breath any longer arguing that they aren't-- then this will kill them.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:17 (3990 days ago) @ Avateur

Same here. Destiny has put Sony and the PS4 on my radar. That, and my reaction to the information about the Xbone so far.

That said, if Bungie were to announce a Mac version that'd be my first choice right now. Not sure if I'd consider the Windows route, but who knows, the more we know about the upcoming consoles, the better that might look.

No backwards compatibility? Well, great, so when my 360s finally fail, there goes my game collection.
Internet connection requirement? Even the "once every 24 hours" thing bugs me, and I'm sure it would eventually cause me a problem.

What we know so far about how games will work does not excite me, as it provides far more advantage to MS and publishers than it does to the end-user. So far, it seems all I get out of the deal is that I can play installed games without the disc. Big whoop. In order to get that, I must:

Install the game
Link it to an account
Maintain my console's online presence

I cannot:

Buy a used game from a friend and play it for a mutually agreed-upon price
Lend a game to a friend
Borrow a game from a friend

Those restrictions might be acceptable if the ecosystem had a way for me to sell my game license, online, through an open market, and to use that credit to buy games from others. If what MS wants to do is disintermediate GameStop to give themselves a cut of the action while increasing convenience for end-users, then I say fine: have at it. Heck, that would probably encourage me to buy and sell games used, which I currently don't do. Only one of the 360 games I bought was used.

However, it looks like they are not going to do that. They won't risk alienating their traditional retail channels, so if you can even buy and sell used games, it'll probably be through existing retail channels, and MS will just slap their cut on top by charging the buyer of used games an activation fee.

If the activation fee is 100% of the cost of a new game, that will likely depress that market (which won't bother MS one damn bit). Used game prices will fall because of the additional fee. On top of that, I assume now that MS would assume responsibility for scratched media purchased through approved 3rd party retail clients? If what MS is really selling is a game license, and not game media, why should anyone have to shell out more cash to replace damaged or defective media?

Or is the whole "we're not selling, we're granting a license" thing only relevant when it helps the platform holders?

Blech. I may have to backpedal on some of my defense of consoles. I'd thought people proclaiming the death of consoles were being a bit hasty, but perhaps they aren't.

Originally I had thought that Bungie was just showing some initial preference for Sony in order to cement the relationship. I thought we'd hear more about the versions of Destiny for MS platforms later on-- including exclusive content.

I may have been wrong about that. Bungie is again going to show more of their game off at E3, in conjunction with Sony. There's still no mention of equivalent exclusive content for MS platforms, and even through we now know Destiny will be on the Xbone, there's been no announcement for PC/Mac. I had thought the former was holding up the latter, but it looks like I may have been wrong about that, too.

Also I thought the callout for Activision on the new trailer was goddamn hilarious. "The company that brought you Call of Duty"? Really, guys?

I have a better idea. Just call yourself "Those Guys Who Are Not Electronic Arts".

by Avateur @, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 21:54 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/23/destiny-could-get-pc-version-cross-platform-saves

This is really all we have right now as far as the PC goes. A lot of this Xbox stuff has me concerned, but I hadn't planned on purchasing next gen consoles until at least next year. I didn't even purchase a 360 until well into 2006. There's plenty of time for Microsoft to figure its mess out (or not).

I'm definitely excited to see what Bungie's going to show at E3 on June 10, and it actually has me excited to see what else Sony is going to have going on. Jason Jones saying it's a great piece of hardware, Bungie showing that nifty trailer at the PS4 reveal, and now this with E3. There has to be something special about that console, right? They absolutely have my attention and interest.

At the same time, I see myself absolutely purchasing Destiny for the 360 as opposed to other consoles. I sure hope there is a way to port a character and account, especially if I'm done playing it with the 360 and decide to move on and play it on the PS4 or new Xbox.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:37 (3990 days ago) @ narcogen

Originally I had thought that Bungie was just showing some initial preference for Sony in order to cement the relationship. I thought we'd hear more about the versions of Destiny for MS platforms later on-- including exclusive content.

I may have been wrong about that. Bungie is again going to show more of their game off at E3, in conjunction with Sony. There's still no mention of equivalent exclusive content for MS platforms, and even through we now know Destiny will be on the Xbone, there's been no announcement for PC/Mac. I had thought the former was holding up the latter, but it looks like I may have been wrong about that, too.

Yeah, back in February I figured exclusives are just part of the industry and Bungie would be pulling the same stunt at the Xbone reveal. Nope, and it turns out they're going to the BIG DANCE with the PS4 as well.

It's a pretty smart move on Bungie's part. Making these public demonstrations of solidarity with Sony will help to bring in a lot of new blood from the Playstation fanbase. Meanwhile, the Xboners have already had a taste and won't take as much convincing.

I just want to say how fucking tickled I am that the internet has settled on XBONE as the official moniker of Microsoft's next generation multimedia platform. I'm never going to get tired of that.

by Kalamari @, Waiting for Ghorn, FB, and BH, Thursday, May 23, 2013, 22:13 (3990 days ago) @ Avateur

It's fair to say that MS is fighting an uphill battle at this point. They are going to need a spectacular showing at E3 to make up their lost ground. However, they are 6 months behind on game development, so it's not looking good for them at all.

Sony could win a ton of consumers if they make the right decisions. They have the advantage of foresight because they know the reaction they will receive if they go the direction of MS.

E3 will be exciting to watch, but I am more excited about seeing the reaction to everything presented.

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:43 (3990 days ago) @ Kalamari

It's fair to say that MS is fighting an uphill battle at this point. They are going to need a spectacular showing at E3 to make up their lost ground. However, they are 6 months behind on game development, so it's not looking good for them at all.

Is the rumor true? The only source is Kotaku so far I think...

Sony could win a ton of consumers if they make the right decisions. They have the advantage of foresight because they know the reaction they will receive if they go the direction of MS.

If they have similar ideas like Microsoft, it is too late to change them. The only thing is to have a much better prepared presentation and explaining and unlike Microsoft's doing and delaying answer at a later point.

by petetheduck, Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:28 (3990 days ago) @ Avateur

I like what they're doing with the XBO. Snap is a feature I've wanted, and nothing Microsoft is doing to hinder used game sales will affect me.

Up until now, Microsoft was an easy choice because of Halo. Yeah, 343 Industries made mistakes, but I still plan to get Halo 5. So I intend to stick with Microsoft, since Destiny is multi-platform and, well, Sony doesn't have any exclusives I'm interested in.

I've watched Sony conferences before, just out of curiosity, but yeah--this time I'm excited to see the Destiny bit.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 12:35 (3990 days ago) @ petetheduck

I like what they're doing with the XBO. Snap is a feature I've wanted, and nothing Microsoft is doing to hinder used game sales will affect me.

Up until now, Microsoft was an easy choice because of Halo. Yeah, 343 Industries made mistakes, but I still plan to get Halo 5. So I intend to stick with Microsoft, since Destiny is multi-platform and, well, Sony doesn't have any exclusives I'm interested in.

I've watched Sony conferences before, just out of curiosity, but yeah--this time I'm excited to see the Destiny bit.

I keep going back and forth. I REALLY like the features announced for the XBO, my favorite being how controller management with the Kinect works. My indecisiveness will surely result in me buying both.

by TTL Demag0gue ⌂ @, Within the shadow of the Traveler, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:00 (3990 days ago) @ Xenos

I keep going back and forth.

I'm in a similar boat. My budget won't allow me to purchase a next-gen console right out of the starting gate, which I'm starting to think is a kind of minor blessing, since it'll give me a chance to evaluate based on consumer reviews and to allow both companies to work out any issues with their respective consoles. On the one hand, I've been an Xbox loyalist for years, but on the other, PlayStation is starting to show a stronger, more consumer-friendly console than Microsoft. I'm still on the fence, and I'll likely stay there until we know a lot more about the way Microsoft intends to handle their business model moving forward.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:38 (3990 days ago) @ Xenos
edited by Kermit, Friday, May 24, 2013, 13:42

I keep going back and forth. I REALLY like the features announced for the XBO, my favorite being how controller management with the Kinect works. My indecisiveness will surely result in me buying both.

Now that they've cloned a human (What? No one else heard this?), I intend to clone myself. There will be Kermit the Xbox fanboy, who is still interested in Halo enough to see what happens next. He's have an Xbone.

There's Kermit the curious gamer who's been eyeing some PS3 titles for a while, and will buy one just to play Journey and Heavy Rain, and maybe a few others.

There's Kermit the Bungie fanatic, who can't live without the PS4 Destiny exclusives or seeing the game on the latest hardware.

Finally, there's Kermit the responsible, who will be working overtime in a futile effort to pay down his/everyone's credit card. Occasionally, he might venture outside, listen to music, read a book, write a little fiction, or watch a movie. He might even have lunch with an old friend. Once a month or so he'll get on the 360 and play some old favorites. On rare Sunday afternoons, the other Kermits will feel sorry for him, and all four will jump into a Destiny game together, and get their collective asses kicked.

Good times.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Friday, May 24, 2013, 14:57 (3990 days ago) @ Kermit

On rare Sunday afternoons, the other Kermits will feel sorry for him, and all four will jump into a Destiny game together, and get their collective asses kicked.

It's not easy being green... ;)

by Avateur @, Friday, May 24, 2013, 19:46 (3989 days ago) @ petetheduck

Now see, that's totally and perfectly fine. Microsoft has found a consumer in you and many others like you who absolutely love and will use what they're offering. That Snap feature is completely worthless to me, my TV has TV and if I intend on watching TV, I'm turning off the Xbox and changing the channel, and my TV also happens to have sports on it. I have zero use or care for the Kinect, and I don't like the thought of being forced to have it connected or in use at nearly all times.

It goes beyond "always online" and "used games" (which don't affect me) and the inability to share games or play on different Xbox's without my profile (which does affect me). This new Xbox really just doesn't appeal to me all that much. I don't know if the PS4 does, either. I have a lot of decisions to make, but Sony has my eye right now, and entirely because of Bungie.

While Halo definitely made the 360 an easy choice, I have something like 50+ games on this thing that won't be playable after my last Xbox dies. Two failed 360s from Microsoft, all of which are not first generation versions. It's my original 360 that somehow is working perfectly until it decides to Red Ring. It's totally obnoxious. My old Sega still works perfectly.

Agreed on Sony not having any exclusives I really care about. I mean, there are a few on the PS3 that I'd love to play, but not enough to warrant my purchasing it. I'm fine with my 360 and Wii.

And thank goodness June 10th isn't that far away!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread