Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 24, 2013, 05:03 (3990 days ago)

I used to post these rumors on HBO every time, so I might as well here, too.

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/23/mirrors-edge-2-spotted-on-amazon

Fingers crossed.

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Hypertrooper, Germany, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:40 (3990 days ago) @ Kermit

Yes. I think it is a safe bet to say it's coming. Amazon is a reliable source. (They put the Super Luigi U page online before it was announced at the latest Nintendo Direct)

I cannot wait!

Awesome!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Friday, May 24, 2013, 07:55 (3990 days ago) @ Kermit

Color me excited! Thanks Kermit!

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:41 (3990 days ago) @ Kermit

Fingers crossed.

Joke's on you. It's an election simulator, as Kate takes the place of Pope in the election! Can you get her elected? Navigate payoffs, angry voters, the media, backroom deals, and corruption in this exciting election simulator!

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:51 (3990 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Fingers crossed.

Joke's on you. It's an election simulator, as Kate takes the place of Pope in the election! Can you get her elected? Navigate payoffs, angry voters, the media, backroom deals, and corruption in this exciting election simulator!

Will it still highlight important objectives in red?

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 24, 2013, 09:57 (3990 days ago) @ Xenos

Of course. And it will, thankfully, have some ill timed checkpoints. Fail a bluff? Promise the wrong favor to the wrong opponent? Get ready to replay those sections… again and again.

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Dean Hofmeyer (unhh) @, Warsaw, IN, Friday, May 24, 2013, 16:01 (3990 days ago) @ Ragashingo

In the beginning of the game, it'll make a big deal out of how you need to avoid getting into arguments with the press, but later levels will railroad you into the middle of several groups of angry reporters.

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 24, 2013, 16:05 (3990 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

In the beginning of the game, it'll make a big deal out of how you need to avoid getting into arguments with the press, but later levels will railroad you into the middle of several groups of angry reporters.

And the argument mechanics will feel clunky and underdeveloped

Ha!

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, May 24, 2013, 16:08 (3990 days ago) @ Dean Hofmeyer (unhh)

- No text -

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by Jillybean, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 11:32 (3988 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not sure why that's supposed to put me off.

Break it out

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 16:40 (3989 days ago) @ Kermit

What better time to break out ME 1 and 3 star all those time trial runs!

Here's some tips.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMYJJrQhU48&list=UUtDRdQNOjcz74RYvjY87mag&index=2

Break it out

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, May 25, 2013, 20:26 (3989 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Watching that made me want to play! Thanks for posting.

Can you imagine playing it with an Oculus Rift?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 22:26 (3988 days ago) @ Kermit

Those with a heart condition need not apply.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, May 26, 2013, 23:06 (3988 days ago) @ Kermit

That would be freaking amazing! And probably a bit like this on the first couple playthroughs.

[image]

I found the comic here.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 27, 2013, 15:28 (3987 days ago) @ Mr Daax

That's awesome!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, May 27, 2013, 17:01 (3987 days ago) @ Kermit

Also nausea, apparently. A creative, original game, but I had to give it away. Could only play it for about 15 minutes at a time before getting nauseous. I was able to beat it over a long period of time, but man I still get a little hint of sick when I think about it.

(Also can't Forge due to the same reason.)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 27, 2013, 17:23 (3987 days ago) @ Leviathan

Also nausea, apparently. A creative, original game, but I had to give it away. Could only play it for about 15 minutes at a time before getting nauseous. I was able to beat it over a long period of time, but man I still get a little hint of sick when I think about it.

I understand. I think I've said this before but it's the only game that has made me sweat while sitting in a chair.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Monday, May 27, 2013, 17:41 (3987 days ago) @ Kermit

Imagine playing it in a movie theater. From the front row.

That was good times. Completely, mindblowingly, disorienting, but good times.

(Sierra 117 was epic on a theater screen. Dat water. Those God Rays.)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, May 27, 2013, 19:45 (3987 days ago) @ Kermit

I understand. I think I've said this before but it's the only game that has made me sweat while sitting in a chair.

Back in my Halo 2 multiplayer-addict days, I would sweat profusely. It was gross. My mom would walk in my room and the room itself would feel like a sauna, all from the heat I was generating. I NEEDED TO WIN. And apparently I convinced my whole body to get into it, hah. Had to have bottles of water beside the futon.

Wow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 27, 2013, 17:42 (3987 days ago) @ Leviathan

Must feel amazing to have that kind of immersion. I mean, aside from feeling sick.

Wow

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Monday, May 27, 2013, 19:42 (3987 days ago) @ ZackDark

Must feel amazing to have that kind of immersion. I mean, aside from feeling sick.

Actually, I don't think it's immersive at all! If I was actually that character, running around those buildings, I think I'd be fine...except of course, I'd be horribly mangled from my first jump. Well, actually I can't even touch my toes, so I'd be moaning just trying to step over some vent.

It's just the fast motions of the graphics, not what's 'really' happening, especially when in first-person. It's like I'm trying to keep my eye on everything on the screen, but the sides are moving much faster than the center and then bam, I'm sick. When I'm the Monitor in Forge Mode and I start zooming around really fast it hits really quickly. Marathon's quick-turns also bleh-ed me almost instantaneously (which made me quite sad).

Apparently the wiki article even mentions Halo in this section:

Simulation sickness, or simulator sickness, is a condition where a person exhibits symptoms similar to motion sickness caused by playing computer/simulation/video games.

The most common theory for the cause of simulation sickness is that the illusion of motion created by the virtual world, combined with the absence of motion detected by the inner ear, causes the area postrema in the human brain to infer that one is hallucinating and further conclude that the hallucination is due to poison ingestion. The brain responds by inducing nausea and mass vomiting, to clear the supposed toxin.[7] According to this theory, simulation sickness is just another form of motion sickness.

The symptoms are often described as quite similar to that of motion sickness, and can range from headache, drowsiness, nausea, dizziness, vomiting and sweating. Research done at the University of Minnesota had students play Halo for less than an hour, and found that up to 50 percent felt sick afterwards.

But I can play standard Halo fine, for days at a time! And most games for that matter. Forge, Mirror's Edge, and sometimes Portal is about all that hits me like that, that I know of at least.

Wow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, May 27, 2013, 19:48 (3987 days ago) @ Leviathan

Hmm, maybe reducing the turning sensitivity helps?
Also, the human body is amazing.

Wow

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, May 27, 2013, 22:12 (3987 days ago) @ Leviathan

Marathon was the first and only game (so far) to make me feel nauseous. Big sad :( And all this time I thought I was just wierd and couldn't handle it.

Wow

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 04:03 (3986 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Marathon was the first and only game (so far) to make me feel nauseous. Big sad :( And all this time I thought I was just wierd and couldn't handle it.

Did you play it as God intended, on a Power Mac 7100?

Wow

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 07:45 (3986 days ago) @ Kermit

Haha, no sir, I can't say that I did. I tried it first on a PC, probably over a decade ago. I was at a friend's house, they had a computer, and I wanted to play a game. I tried one (I didn't realize until much later that it was Marathon) and I got nauseous pretty quick. Recently I downloaded Marathon: Durandal from XBL, and the nausea ensued again :(

If you have a Power Mac 7100 and a copy of Marathon, I would love to take a third try at it :)

Wow

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 13:08 (3986 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Haha, no sir, I can't say that I did. I tried it first on a PC, probably over a decade ago. I was at a friend's house, they had a computer, and I wanted to play a game. I tried one (I didn't realize until much later that it was Marathon) and I got nauseous pretty quick. Recently I downloaded Marathon: Durandal from XBL, and the nausea ensued again :(

If you have a Power Mac 7100 and a copy of Marathon, I would love to take a third try at it :)

I think when you play it on a 15- or 17-inch monitor with graphics running at 640 x 480 or smaller with the HUD (which took up a more of the screen than current HUDs), it's a bit harder to get sick. I was very disappointed when I found Marathon 2 unplayable on the Xbox. We naturally want everything super-sized now, but back in the day Marathon was impressive enough.

Wow

by RC ⌂, UK, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 04:00 (3986 days ago) @ Leviathan

But I can play standard Halo fine, for days at a time! And most games for that matter. Forge, Mirror's Edge, and sometimes Portal is about all that hits me like that, that I know of at least.

You kept the little reticle on-screen in Mirror's Edge right? That was put in to help with motion sickness by giving you a focal point. Did that help?

Wow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 07:53 (3986 days ago) @ RC

Interesting. I'll try without it later and see if I get dizzy.
Silly brains.

Wow

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 10:01 (3985 days ago) @ Leviathan

Ya know, I was going to say that sounds a lot like motion sickness. I know someone who gets motion sickness in cars, but only if they can't see where they're going - for instance if they're a passenger and try to read, or otherwise look down for a while. They are just fine if they're driving, or if they remember to always look forward and outside the car. But if they don't look at where the car is going, bam! The theory is that the disconnect between the actual motion sensed by their inner ear, vs no motion being perceived by their eyes (if they're reading a book, etc.), causes problems. The disconnect described in that article is the same, but reversed.

Wow

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 22:19 (3982 days ago) @ Leviathan
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 22:22

How odd, that I can play games like Mirror's Edge for hours at a time, and in fact never get sick from ANY game ever, love roller coasters (real and virtual), flying, 3D movies etc, but nooooo when I try to read in a car that's it I'm done.

In fact what's doubly weird is it's only READING. I was playing a point and click adventure game on my laptop in the back seat the other day, and the subtitles were on. I got sick, and turned them off. BAM. I could play but not be sick, even though I was still just looking at the screen.

WIERD.

Wow

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 22:30 (3982 days ago) @ Cody Miller

How odd, that I can play games like Mirror's Edge for hours at a time, and in fact never get sick from ANY game ever, love roller coasters (real and virtual), flying, 3D movies etc, but nooooo when I try to read in a car that's it I'm done.

In fact what's doubly weird is it's only READING. I was playing a point and click adventure game on my laptop in the back seat the other day, and the subtitles were on. I got sick, and turned them off. BAM. I could play but not be sick, even though I was still just looking at the screen.

WIERD.

Dude, I KNOW.

Apart from Marathon making me a bit queasy, I'm the exact same way. I could ride roller coasters all.freaking.day. Love 'em. Never gotten sick. In fact, I laugh like a little kid when I ride roller coasters. They're awesome. But give me a book in a moving car and I often feel like crap pretty quickly. Very strange.

Wow

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, June 02, 2013, 08:03 (3981 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Maybe it's because you're expecting it? Like, when you try to tickle yourself?

Your head already got around the fact that videogames are supposed to be slightly disorienting, but reading takes a lot more convincing.

That question must be an internet meme

by scarab @, Tuesday, May 28, 2013, 05:48 (3986 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 09:55 (3985 days ago) @ Kermit

OMFG. I think that I too, am melting.

Mirror's Edge 2 *OT*

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, May 29, 2013, 21:33 (3985 days ago) @ Kermit

And a third time

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 12:54 (3984 days ago) @ ZackDark

Gameinformer reports another surfacing

Three times this close to E3? Man oh man are my hopes pretty high right now.

EXCITE

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 30, 2013, 14:16 (3984 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

BIKE?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 14:45 (3984 days ago) @ ZackDark

...sorry I can't resist making dumb jokes

Join the club ;-)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, May 30, 2013, 15:16 (3984 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

I played that game...

by RC ⌂, UK, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 15:28 (3984 days ago) @ Xenos

I can't remember when.

N64?

Holy shit! That was the one with the custom courses! I spent hours making epic jumps and thoroughly trashing the AI on my creations!

I miss that game. I haven't played a bike game in like... a decade.

I played that game...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, May 30, 2013, 15:57 (3984 days ago) @ RC

I can't remember when.

N64?

Holy shit! That was the one with the custom courses! I spent hours making epic jumps and thoroughly trashing the AI on my creations!

I had to look it up to realize there was one for the N64! I never played that one. I haven't played many racing games (except Mario Kart) since probably the N64 with Wave Race.

Microsoft as the Prince of Wales

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:01 (3983 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Kermit, Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:06

I may just be in a literary mood today, but the rumors that the new Mirror's Edge might be an exclusive makes me wonder if the lackluster reveal of the Xbox One (from a gaming perspective) is part of a larger strategy,* what I might call a Prince Hal strategy. For those of you unfamiliar with Shakespeare's histories, Prince Hal was something of a clown prince, a drunkard whose friends were thieves, whores, and other drunkards. Hal's lack of royal propriety greatly disappointed his father, the king, but Hal had a strategy. "My reformation, glittering o'er my fault, shall show more goodly, and attract more eyes than that which hath no foil to set it off."

Prince Hal would become the celebrated Henry V, and stun everyone because they expected so little of him. Perhaps it will be the same with the Xbox One.

Kermit

*I think it's unlikely that this is a conscious strategy on Microsoft's part, but it will be interesting if all the current disappointment actually helps Microsoft in the long run.

Heh

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:35 (3983 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah, that is a very effective strategy. Alas, I don't think MS is doing it on purpose, if at all. They were actually quite excited at those features and, honestly, those are very good business decisions.

Microsoft as the Prince of Wales

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, May 31, 2013, 11:49 (3983 days ago) @ Kermit

I may just be in a literary mood today, but the rumors that the new Mirror's Edge might be an exclusive makes me wonder if the lackluster reveal of the Xbox One (from a gaming perspective) is part of a larger strategy,* what I might call a Prince Hal strategy. For those of you unfamiliar with Shakespeare's histories, Prince Hal was something of a clown prince, a drunkard whose friends were thieves, whores, and other drunkards. Hal's lack of royal propriety greatly disappointed his father, the king, but Hal had a strategy. "My reformation, glittering o'er my fault, shall show more goodly, and attract more eyes than that which hath no foil to set it off."

Prince Hal would become the celebrated Henry V, and stun everyone because they expected so little of him. Perhaps it will be the same with the Xbox One.

Kermit

*I think it's unlikely that this is a conscious strategy on Microsoft's part, but it will be interesting if all the current disappointment actually helps Microsoft in the long run.

I definitely think you're right, Microsoft has already talked about how they are going to talk about gaming and only gaming at E3. Also they promised to answer the big questions everyone has. I have no idea if it was planned, but either way I think it's probably going to end up working out for them.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread