Sorry (DBO)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 01:21 (3182 days ago)

I want to offer an apology to everyone here who has experienced my negativity, or been turned off by it. It sort of exploded when I decided to straight up quit, and it wasn't really necessary or even that mature really.

Currently, I don't think I can play this game anymore and feel good about it and contribute positively here. But, with all that's coming down the pipeline, could I maybe? Could I find a way to play massively less, yet still get the experiences I really like? Scuttle around what I subjectively see to be the toxic MMO center?

The answer is I don't know, because I still feel the same way deep down.

But who knows. It was stupid to straight up scream I'M QUITTING. Completely regrettable, especially considering the resulting thread. Maybe I just needed a 2 month break. Year two is going to be very different than year one. What I am quitting is my current mentality, both in terms of forum persona and in terms of approach to this game. If I can make both work, you might see me in the Dreadnaught yet Korny. I won't be raiding every week, I won't be doing nightfalls all the time or chasing exotics (I simply can't time wise), but I'd at least be there part of the PS4 crew, which is objectively the best here at DBO. ToO stats confirm :-p

If not? Well, no big deal and I won't make a big deal about it.

Time for me to grow up.

It's okay

by petetheduck, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 01:30 (3182 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think anyone actually expects you to never play Destiny again. Your "I quit" was probably good for your mental health.

Sorry

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 01:45 (3182 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Welcome back, ish?

I get how difficult it can be to limit your play in this way. I'm an obsessive too, and can easily dump hundreds of hours into a game I like. Destiny does a nice job of giving a solid, meaningful experience for a few hours every week if you don't mind being behind in the rat race.

But I get it, that siren song is totally there, and it's hard to resist. And the idea of being a "World first raider" is super tempting.

Sorry

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 02:21 (3182 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I want to offer an apology to everyone here who has experienced my negativity, or been turned off by it. It sort of exploded when I decided to straight up quit, and it wasn't really necessary or even that mature really.

Currently, I don't think I can play this game anymore and feel good about it and contribute positively here. But, with all that's coming down the pipeline, could I maybe? Could I find a way to play massively less, yet still get the experiences I really like? Scuttle around what I subjectively see to be the toxic MMO center?

But who knows. It was stupid to straight up scream I'M QUITTING. Completely regrettable, especially considering the resulting thread. Maybe I just needed a 2 month break. Year two is going to be very different than year one. What I am quitting is my current mentality, both in terms of forum persona and in terms of approach to this game. If I can make both work, you might see me in the Dreadnaught yet Korny. I won't be raiding every week, I won't be doing nightfalls all the time or chasing exotics (I simply can't time wise), but I'd at least be there part of the PS4 crew, which is objectively the best here at DBO. ToO stats confirm :-p

Time for me to grow up.

If you ever get an Xbox and want to learn how to be a lazy Destiny player, I'm your guy. :) Classes take place at random times once every two weeks with slightly worse-than-you-should-have armor and weapons. Hilarious albeit confusing times ensue. Step one: What is Etheric Light? Correct answer: Never heard of it. Step two: How do you avoid hitting your own Tripmines? You can't. Step three...

I blow myself up with trip mines a lot too :-p

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 02:41 (3182 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

And now for something completely different.

by SteelGaribaldi @, Sol system, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 02:45 (3182 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been meaning to thank you for the Going Nowhere Fast highlights that you edited together in 2005. I really enjoyed the video, and found a few new songs to obsess over. And I found a new way out of Silent Cartographer. :)

So, thank you. Ten years later.

(I should probably not wait 10 years to thank people.)

That Silent Cartographer part was ultra epic.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 05:58 (3182 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

Cody's always been cool to watch speedrunning, too. He is so good at Halo, that even watching the videos, despite knowing the tricks he is using, I'm still like "holy shit."

And now for something completely different.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 21:04 (3180 days ago) @ SteelGaribaldi

I've been meaning to thank you for the Going Nowhere Fast highlights that you edited together in 2005. I really enjoyed the video, and found a few new songs to obsess over. And I found a new way out of Silent Cartographer. :)

So, thank you. Ten years later.

(I should probably not wait 10 years to thank people.)

One of my first memories of Cody was watching him drop to the bottom of Silent Cartographer. I didn't know you could do that.

Also agree: cool tunes.

Cody or Mike Miller?

by scarab @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 08:52 (3179 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

I've been dialing back.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:00 (3182 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by dogcow, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 03:06

Don't run stuff weekly. I don't anymore. I might pick that up again when TTK hits, but I really try and keep my Destiny down to one or two evenings a week. It's hard some nights, but life is better, I don't have all my characters at 34, you know what? it's okay!

If you are going to pickup the crack/booz/destiny again, set hard limits for yourself, it helps. Limit yourself to a couple hours one night a week.

EDIT: But really, if you have problems with it and can't stick to your set limits, (and I really don't want to say this because I enjoy playing with you, but feel like I must) then maybe you should just stay away.

Edit2: fixing a bad edit. And this is some advice I should probably take... Just call me Dr. Frazier Crane, dishing out advice that I myself probably should listen to.

No worries!

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 12:22 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I missed talking to you. You never really got on my nerves or irritated me. I almost found it more comical than anything. Look forward to playing with you again. and hearing about your plug.1 some more and some more!

Sorry

by slycrel ⌂, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 13:26 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Good for you for taking a break and doing some soul searching.

Destiny is still a MMO. Bungie still needs to balance the social pressure of playing a lot, and having a lot of reasons to play a lot, with making a game that you can pick up because it's enjoyable rather than hitting that RNG gambling fix or OCD collector's need. They won't be perfect, even with all the TTK changes.

I enjoy playing with you and would be happy to see you back. But if not, I totally understand. Either way, sounds like you are in a better place, so thumbs up for that! =)

Sorry

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 14:12 (3181 days ago) @ slycrel

Good for you for taking a break and doing some soul searching.

Destiny is still a MMO. Bungie still needs to balance the social pressure of playing a lot, and having a lot of reasons to play a lot, with making a game that you can pick up because it's enjoyable rather than hitting that RNG gambling fix or OCD collector's need. They won't be perfect, even with all the TTK changes.

I bought and played and enjoyed Diablo 3. I think I played it through on Normal once. Then I got the expansion and played it through once. Then never again.

That game is outrageously pointless and manipulative with its systems, especially on launch when I first got it. Still, only going through that once, and just enjoying the environments and seeing what happened next in the story was actually fun. The story was also bad.

But I didn't rage about how terrible the story is, and I didn't obsess over doing all the high level stuff. I just did it once and called it a day.

Destiny is way better than Diablo 3, so I know I can do it.

Welcome back!

by marmot 1333 @, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 14:28 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I look forward to running the TTK raid with you!

Welcome back!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 15:21 (3181 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Now convince Cyber. Maybe my mysterious benefactor can send him a code too? :-p

Welcome back!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 15:30 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now convince Cyber. Maybe my mysterious benefactor can send him a code too? :-p

He seems to be trying really hard to win a certain contest.

Kudos

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 15:22 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I realise it's not easy to come back and say "maybe that was a bit extreme". Kudos to you, and I look forward to playing with you again on occasion.

+1 :)

by DestroyoBoy, Greenville, SC, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 15:45 (3181 days ago) @ someotherguy

- No text -

called it

by Raflection, Tuesday, August 11, 2015, 17:23 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

HUGS

by Atsumi ⌂, Jefferson City, MO, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 00:08 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Sorry

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 01:35 (3181 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is good to read. Thank you for sharing it.

Sorry

by car15, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:13 (3180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Isn't there something intrinsically wrong with something that pushes people towards these kinds of feelings?

Sorry

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:19 (3180 days ago) @ car15

Isn't there something intrinsically wrong with something that pushes people towards these kinds of feelings?

Perhaps if you accept the premise. Adults take responsibility for their feelings.

Sorry

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:26 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Perhaps if you accept the premise. Adults take responsibility for their feelings.

thank you for saying this

+ 1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 20:03 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Sorry

by car15, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 21:03 (3180 days ago) @ Kermit

Adults take responsibility for their feelings.

Feelings happen. You can't control them. Adults only take responsibility for how they act on their feelings.

Either way, it's irrelevant to my point and, I suspect, a botched attempt at an ad hominem based on my history here.

Destiny makes people feel bad. It frustrates them, teases them, infuriates them, taunts them. Isn't there something inherently wrong with this?

Sorry

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 21:44 (3180 days ago) @ car15

Feelings happen. You can't control them. Adults only take responsibility for how they act on their feelings.

Either way, it's irrelevant to my point and, I suspect, a botched attempt at an ad hominem based on my history here.

Destiny makes people feel bad. It frustrates them, teases them, infuriates them, taunts them. Isn't there something inherently wrong with this?

You're now stacking premises I don't accept. Feelings happen, yes, but they are not sacrosanct. Many people can control their feelings such that they can minimize or detach from feelings they don't want.

No attack on you, but a criticism of your statement.

Here are two factual statements:

Some people don't enjoy playing Destiny. Some people enjoy playing Destiny.

The latter statement undermines your argument. That the former statement is true does not indicate that there is anything inherently wrong with Destiny.

Sorry

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 21:49 (3180 days ago) @ car15

Only if you let it.

It started to frustrate and infuriate me a few weeks back, and then I came to a very simple conclusion.

The game can tease and taunt me all it wants with super awesome loots, but the truth is there's a subsection of that loot I'll never get to play with. It's either locked behind activities I loathe (Crucible), or things tedious and mind numbing (ranking up factions), or up to the fickle RNG gods. As soon as I accepted that there were just going to be things I was never going to be able to have hands on time with, I started enjoying myself again.

Spend time doing what you enjoy doing, not what you hate doing, and accept that doing so means you won't get to have ALL THE THINGS.

Sorry

by Avateur @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:47 (3180 days ago) @ car15

Untrue. You posted, I got this huge feeling and desire to call you a troll because you are, and I could have totally not done it, but here I am doing it. You're a troll. Shame on me for feeding you.

Mine isn't botched. You're a troll.

car15 makes people feel bad. He frustrates them, trolls them, infuriates them, taunts them. Isn't there something inherently wrong with this?

Sorry

by petetheduck, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:44 (3180 days ago) @ Avateur

car15 makes people feel bad. He frustrates them, trolls them, infuriates them, taunts them. Isn't there something inherently wrong with this?

I agree with the message of your post, but disagree with the literal meaning--which of course wasn't the point anyway. But I needed a segue:

car15 doesn't like Destiny and doesn't like this community, and everyone is aware of it. That pretty much makes it impossible to effectively troll. We have no reason to care, at all. How can I possibly become irritated by him? How can I value his comments?

Oh no, someone random person said something intended to rile people up. Oooooh noooooo. Save us, mods. Ban the bad man, he's scary.

The fact that he keeps turning up is actually just kind've sad.

Normally I ignore the troll threads...

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 02:43 (3180 days ago) @ Avateur

But sir, that was fucking beautiful. +1

Nope

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:34 (3180 days ago) @ car15

- No text -

Glad you are back.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 19:41 (3180 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Time for me to grow up.

Welcome to the new and improved DBO Forum 2.0 post the "we all blew up in Cody's final post" incident of 2015. Seriously glad to see you are still in and I'm glad you are taking a break. This game is easy to overdose on, and we all need a break sometimes. It's still fun, just gotta find your limits and just play your way. I haven't been doing PoE, Nightfalls, Weeklies, or Raids for a while now. It's just Cruc and Trials for me. That's what I enjoy, although I did finish Skolas in my first ever attempt today. Thanks OFT and Dr Bo! Now I just need one more chest to finish my legend thingy.

You know who else had a big return thread?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 20:21 (3180 days ago) @ red robber

Hitler.

Zero to Godwin's Law in record time.

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 20:23 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

booooo

by marmot 1333 @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 20:23 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Meh--Worse People Have Come Back.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 20:26 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

- No text -

Say what you want...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:07 (3180 days ago) @ bluerunner

...about Hitler, but at least he killed Hitler.

Say what you want...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:16 (3180 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

...about Hitler, but at least he killed Hitler.

Yeah but he also killed the guy who killed Hitler.

Spoiler alert...

by Avateur @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 22:52 (3180 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Hey Avateur...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:02 (3180 days ago) @ Avateur

...real stories, they don’t have spoilers. You understand that TV and life are different right?

#6SeasonsAndaMovie

Hey Avateur...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:03 (3180 days ago) @ Xenos

#6SeasonsAndaMovie

There were two movies dude.

Your logic is literally worse than Hitler!11

by Avateur @, Wednesday, August 12, 2015, 23:06 (3180 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

This is where "Hitler did nothing wrong" goes, right?

by iconicbanana, C2-H5-OH + NAD, Portland, OR, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 02:26 (3180 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

Wrong, his combover was pretty bad.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 11:51 (3179 days ago) @ iconicbanana

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread