The Last of Us for $10. TLoU PvP night! (Gaming)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 00:11 (3202 days ago)

One of the more unique and tense Multiplayer experiences (and best campaign stories) in recent memory, for $10!?

Get to it, guys! We can have a DBO Matchmaking night!

I'm in.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 00:46 (3202 days ago) @ Korny

It's weird, though. I was going to post this earlier but it showed up as sold out.

Support mad.max's AI skillz!

by Funkmon @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 04:28 (3202 days ago) @ Korny

I wish I had a PS4 to buy this game. To play it, I had to borrow my friend's PlayStation, buy it, and force him to buy it off of me for $10 less than I paid for it. One of the best games I've ever played, and I don't even like zombies.

The multiplayer is also obviously very good. I played like 2 games.

Easily one of the Best PS4 Games

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 10:04 (3202 days ago) @ Korny

Definitely my Favorite PS4 game by far. AMAZING story, fun multiplayer that is very unique and fun. I bought this for PS3 then bought the PS4 edition because I had to have it. 10 dollars is a steal for this amazing game.

+1

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 13:27 (3202 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Just sitting idle at the title screen is enough to give me chills.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 14:24 (3202 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Definitely my Favorite PS4 game by far. AMAZING story, fun multiplayer that is very unique and fun. I bought this for PS3 then bought the PS4 edition because I had to have it. 10 dollars is a steal for this amazing game.

Make every shot count.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 14:38 (3202 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

All you Xbox folks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:11 (3202 days ago) @ Korny

It wouldn't be hard to find a used PS3 and copies of The Last of Us and Journey for a little over $100.

It would be totally worth it, IMHO. You could sell everything after and it would cost you little other than time, and it would be time well spent.

I bought my PS3 on black Friday a few years back, and those were the first two games I played, and I was astounded. I have an affinity toward and a history with the Xbox platform, but those games opened my eyes. There are other games out there, and they may be better than anything you've played before.

All you Xbox folks.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:16 (3202 days ago) @ Kermit

It wouldn't be hard to find a used PS3 and copies of The Last of Us and Journey for a little over $100.

It would be totally worth it, IMHO. You could sell everything after and it would cost you little other than time, and it would be time well spent.

I bought my PS3 on black Friday a few years back, and those were the first two games I played, and I was astounded. I have an affinity toward and a history with the Xbox platform, but those games opened my eyes. There are other games out there, and they may be better than anything you've played before.

I keep hearing of games that sound very interesting and I think to myself "That sounds like a cool game I'm going to go find it" but when I do, it's always for the PlayStation.

I just don't know if I can bring myself to get one though. It's not that I find them absolutely horrible or anything. And yes, I know I've been one of those people that have tried to get you PlayStation people to come over to the XBox side... Anyway, I wish they would port it :-)

All you Xbox folks.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 15:35 (3202 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I keep hearing of games that sound very interesting and I think to myself "That sounds like a cool game I'm going to go find it" but when I do, it's always for the PlayStation.

I just don't know if I can bring myself to get one though. It's not that I find them absolutely horrible or anything. And yes, I know I've been one of those people that have tried to get you PlayStation people to come over to the XBox side... Anyway, I wish they would port it :-)

They won't. Sony owns Naughty Dog. And Journey was developed under contract with Sony.

Refurbished PS3s are $99 at gamestop, and I'm sure there are cheaper ones out there.

Still like Xbox a lot, and the recent backwards compatibility stuff makes me very happy that it's been my console of choice. I'm not into the JRPGs or other many of the other things that the Playstation platform has been known for, but I paid about $270 to play The Last of Us and Journey, and it was, for me, one of the best gaming bargains I've ever taken advantage of.

Totally worth it.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:01 (3202 days ago) @ Kermit

Fully agree. I'd go as far as saying that if you're remotely interested in picking up a PS4, Journey and The Last of Us just about make it worthwhile. Obviously a PS4 is a larger $ investment than a refurbished PS3, so that's not going to be realistic for some people. But if it's something you're considering anyway, I think Journey and The Last of Us are worth pulling the trigger.

Totally worth it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:05 (3202 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Fully agree. I'd go as far as saying that if you're remotely interested in picking up a PS4, Journey and The Last of Us just about make it worthwhile. Obviously a PS4 is a larger $ investment than a refurbished PS3, so that's not going to be realistic for some people. But if it's something you're considering anyway, I think Journey and The Last of Us are worth pulling the trigger.

Yeah, the problem is, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger. My Wife would.

... Might still be worth it lol

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:09 (3202 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

... as long as she lets you finish both games first ;p

Totally worth it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:11 (3202 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, the problem is, I wouldn't be pulling the trigger. My Wife would.

That's why you temporarily "invest" in a PS3 then sell it and maybe lose $20. You'll have a while to convince her to pull the trigger on a PS4 before The Last of Us 2 comes out. ;)

+1

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:18 (3202 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

And don't forget . . .

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:42 (3202 days ago) @ Kermit

Uncharted 4 coming soon.

While not on the same level as TLoU, the Uncharted games are a lot of fun. And Bloodborne looks cool, too. And Rocket League.

Man, I want a PS4 . . . Someday I'll have one. Xbox has always been my primary system, but a few years ago I borrowed a roommate's PS3 to play TLoU and Uncharted while he was deployed, and man, it really sold me on getting a PS4 . . . eventually.

And don't forget . . .

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:47 (3202 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Uncharted 4 coming soon.

While not on the same level as TLoU, the Uncharted games are a lot of fun. And Bloodborne looks cool, too. And Rocket League.

Man, I want a PS4 . . . Someday I'll have one. Xbox has always been my primary system, but a few years ago I borrowed a roommate's PS3 to play TLoU and Uncharted while he was deployed, and man, it really sold me on getting a PS4 . . . eventually.

Yep, Bungie's always been my favorite studio, but I was disoriented a bit after playing The Last of Us adjusting to the idea that they didn't make my favorite game. Of course there is the common denominator of Max.

As a devout Xbox fan...

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 16:50 (3202 days ago) @ cheapLEY

... the PS4 is fantastic. I've never been a playstation fan. I bought a PS3 specifically to play a couple games, and while it was worth it, I never enjoyed the console itself. Not many games that spoke to me, and I really dislike every sony controller. Until now, that is.

The PS4 is a great piece of hardware. Nice UI, fantastic set of system features, and I love the controller. It's amazing how big a difference it makes while playing a game like The Last of Us. The better sticks alone make the game a joy to control.

Ill be playing tonight!

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:52 (3202 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

All this talk has me on a last of us kick. Someone needs to shivving!

+1

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 17:59 (3202 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Just sitting idle at the title screen is enough to give me chills.

Especially once the knife is on the window...

Seriously, I've played the game across two console generation, two languages, and two "Hardest" difficulties, and I still get a rush when I see it on sale, lol...

As a devout Xbox fan...

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 19:19 (3202 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I love the controller. It's amazing how big a difference it makes while playing a game like The Last of Us. The better sticks alone make the game a joy to control.

I do appreciate the PS4 controller. Miles better than the old DualShock. I still just can't quite get used to the stick placement, though. Offset sticks are so much better, I think.

The Xbox One controller is the best controller ever made, I think, just as the 360 controller was before it. I know a lot of folks have complaints about the One controller, but I absolutely love it. If fits my hand just perfectly, and I roll my fingers up from the triggers and hit the bumpers, so I never have problems with them like some seem to. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Elite controller.

The PS4 controller is good enough that I can use it comfortably and not feel like I'm playing poorly because of it (which was the case with the PS3 controller).

As a devout Xbox fan...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, August 13, 2015, 19:34 (3202 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I love the controller. It's amazing how big a difference it makes while playing a game like The Last of Us. The better sticks alone make the game a joy to control.

I do appreciate the PS4 controller. Miles better than the old DualShock. I still just can't quite get used to the stick placement, though. Offset sticks are so much better, I think.

The Xbox One controller is the best controller ever made, I think, just as the 360 controller was before it. I know a lot of folks have complaints about the One controller, but I absolutely love it. If fits my hand just perfectly, and I roll my fingers up from the triggers and hit the bumpers, so I never have problems with them like some seem to. Can't wait to get my hands on the new Elite controller.

The PS4 controller is good enough that I can use it comfortably and not feel like I'm playing poorly because of it (which was the case with the PS3 controller).

Always hated the PS3 controller but I remember getting used to it playing The Last of Us. I remember picking up the 360 controller (still my fave) and thinking it weighed a ton.

As a devout Xbox fan...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, August 14, 2015, 05:15 (3201 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I hated, hated, hated the PS3 controller. Had to get addons and stuff to make it tolerable (even bought multiple "pro" controllers that had the 360's layout with offset thumbsticks), but The Last of Us was worth it.

I have finally used the Xbox One's controller enough to not be so bothered by the bumpers anymore (except on occasion, but more often than not I can get them to work). Now if only the Guide button had a better and more reliable design...

The funny thing is that the PS4 controller is near-perfection. A far cry from the days of the DS3. My only qualm is that I'd like to at least see if I would enjoy an offset-thumbstick version, but I'm perfectly fine with the way they are right now.

I think it has a serious advantage over the Xbox One with the touchpad. It is at least six more buttons in certain games, and I think it was a brilliant bit of foresight to give devs such a freedom. It's funny, because back when they announced it, I groaned and felt like it was just a gimmick (and was annoyed at the dedicated Share button). But boy, was I wrong.

I've actually been playing Warframe on Xbox as well, and have found myself swiping at the non-existent touchpad (directional swiping gave you seamless access to all of your abilities, and was completely programmable). On the Xbox, you have to do button combos, or use the D-pad to manually set an active power, which can be easy to forget, and puts you at a huge disadvantage during combat while you try to cycle to and then activate the ability that you wanted. It has a seriously negative effect on the game. Especially since in order to accommodate the lack of touchpad, many of the controls were remapped so that the face buttons could be kept available for the aforementioned button combos (And sacrificing the right bumper to initiate them).

And with Destiny, I could bring up the Ghost with either thumb, and I almost always used my right thumb for it. Felt really weird to switch to my left thumb on Xbox (the View button), so even in little ways the difference has an effect.

I used to consider the 360 controller to be the best, and feel that the Xbone controller is mostly a worthy successor, but dat DS4, mayne...

I also forgot to touch up on that (programmable) Share button. Something great about just hitting it, clicking Square to save video (1-15 minutes; programmable), and/or Triangle for a screenshot, then hopping right back into the action with hardly a missed beat.

Want to save longer than 30 seconds on the Xbox? Pressing Guide, looking for DVR (even pinned apps shift around), waiting for it to load, picking how long I want to save a clip (only up to five minutes), then waiting for it to save before I can close it again makes me cry.
Yeah, people say it's a little more streamlined if I spend an extra $100+ to get the Kinect... But really?
Really hope the OS update fixes this, though considering a lot of the function was shoehorned in after the failure of mandatory Kinect, I'm not too hopeful. But at least the loading should be faster. And it's funny how a single button on the controller could have alleviated this (might that $150 controller have this function? Who knows!). The Streaming/Shareplay is also tied to the Share button, so you can be streaming about fifteen seconds after you decide to do it, as opposed to Hitting Guide, searching for the app, and going through a series of menus to get to it.
The power of a single button.

Controllers are weird, but I'm glad that our systems of choice make us happier than they did last generation.

Completely agree about saving longer clips

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, August 14, 2015, 16:54 (3201 days ago) @ Korny

Should at least be a setting I can choose as the default.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread