Will be on Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain (Gaming)

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 01:23 (3171 days ago)

I have been kind of burnt out and Destiny here of late. Of course this will all be cured when TTK launches and I will be there ready to kick *** and take names with you guys. However, I will be playing the new MG game until then, and then some. I played back through Ground Zeroes this evening, and cannot wait to see what the game has in store. For those of you who have yet to play the Metal Gear franchise, give it a shot. Their games (with exception of Rising) are always top notch. The story is really well thought out, and though confusing, offers a real rollercoaster of emotions as a player. The graphics are always superb. MGS4 was one of the earlier games for PS3, yet still had some of the best graphics out of that entire generation.

There is also a multiplayer aspect to the new game. MGS4 also had one but was plagued with PS3 networking problems as well as a very complicated layout. It was more of a standalone game, that required you to use the browser of the ps3 to do certain things. What MGO lacked in simplicity it made up for in fun. You could play the run and gun guy, or you could play the sneaky snake, slithering around stun knifing people.

As I close I just want to say that I am ready for the TTK, and beyond excited for the weapon changes. But for me it has been nice to take a little break from Destiny and see what the rest of the gaming world has to offer. I will may post a review of MG: TPP if you guys want. Maybe do a little streaming as well.

Are any of you getting the game?

Im getting it

by Yapok @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 01:30 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Now that I'm acceptably caught up on the lore, hell yes!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 01:59 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

This, assuming it is any good, was a quite good summary of the retconned lore of the MGS universe. Having watched Bry (fellow BOrg unfortunately absent in Destiny) playing MGS: Twin Snakes (remake of the original MGS), I think I have a good grasp of the drama and tone of the games.

I'd love some pointers, though. Haven't played nor watched anything related to MGS except the mentioned above and Ground Zeroes.

Will be on Metal Gear Solid Phantom Pain

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:16 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Are any of you getting the game?

I loved the original Metal Gear Solid. MGS2 lost me in the second half and I lost track of the franchise. I appreciated what it was trying to do but I guess it wasn't a path I wanted to follow.

I tried Ground Zeroes the other night since it was free. I have to say it probably didn't start me off on a good foot due to a weird sound bug. Even in the menu, most of the audio had a harsh, static-like buzz wrapped around it. Tried rebooting but it didn't help. I thought I'd try the game anyways and if I enjoyed it, I'd try deleting it and reinstalling it afterwards.

The game definitely looked stunning but after reading all the back story, the loading screens, and the long opening, I truly had no idea what was happening or how it might have related to the games I played. But that's not necessarily the game's fault. If I'm skipping two entries in the series then I probably shouldn't know what was happening. :) I'm so far out of the loop I was really confused when I didn't hear David Hayter's voice coming out of Snake's mouth and had to go google that bit of news!

Anyway, it seems like MGS and I will still be walking different paths for the forseeable future. I'm sure I'll try it again someday, though. :)

On the note of playing different games and taking a break from Destiny, I borrowed Arkham Knight from my brother and have utterly consumed it. At first I was a little thrown off by Batman's new heavy armor and the batmobile-tank. Now I think it's one of the funnest games I've played in the last five years and totally see why this new generation of consoles could be great!

It helps that becoming Batman is my ultimate career goal and I'm going to love any game that let's me glide through cities and jump a vehicle across highway overpasses Nolan-style. The fact that it had an amazing, emotional story and great gameplay was a bonus. It had been a while since I was actually worried about a character in a game!

The most powerful thing I took away from it was just how effective it used the medium to affect the player. I've never seen a game load characters and environments out-of-sight in such a way to scare the crap out of me and pull me into the story.

Going to have to buy the Arkham Origins spinoff I skipped just to fulfill some needs and then replay Rocksteady's trilogy again. So impressed!

I have heard nothing but good things about Batman Series

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 11:56 (3170 days ago) @ Leviathan

I came upon some videos one day and spent an hour just watching videos on Arkham Knight. It really pulled me in. My only holdback is not playing the other games. I would really like to play the other games first to get the full effect of the story line. Looks amazing though.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 18:20 (3170 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I came upon some videos one day and spent an hour just watching videos on Arkham Knight. It really pulled me in. My only holdback is not playing the other games. I would really like to play the other games first to get the full effect of the story line. Looks amazing though.

Yeah, I would indeed recommend playing Arkham Asylum and City first. There's a number of threads running through out all three and they really payoff in the later two. But if you skip the sidequests and Riddler challenges the first time through, you could probably beat both of those games in a gaming-intensive weekend and then jump into Knight...

The first one, Asylum, is actually very similar to the framework of the original Metal Gear Solid! The whole game takes place in one facility with multiple buildings and courtyards and bosses are slowly introduced and challenge you as you head through the story. There's even a Pycho Mantis (Scarecrow). And of course, there's a LOT of crawling around in vents. :)

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 18:30 (3170 days ago) @ Leviathan

Does Scare Crow make you take your Memory Card out?! hahaha

I would love to play the old ones. If I ever get my PS3 back in my possession or XB1 compatability lets me, I will play them. My friends are constantly downing me because I havent yet.

So Cool That This Is Part of Destiny!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:50 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

Not sure if trolling or not...

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 11:52 (3170 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

He's commenting on the "topic" you selected... "Destiny"

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 12:19 (3170 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

I never remember to change that.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 13:00 (3170 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Fixed!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 18:13 (3170 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

I'm Always Anal About That.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 04:34 (3170 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I know the next time I mess up, you're gonna be all over me. :-D

Meh.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 02:56 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Metal Gear is one of those series that I've always wished I enjoyed, but I don't. I've tried every game in the series, but I never make it far.

I'm honestly not sure what it is. Controls that don't feel that great to me for whatever reason, an odd mixture of seriousness and absolute stupidity, I can't keep track of who the fuck I'm playing as . . .

I just can't do it, and it makes me somewhat sad. But then I remember that I'm just a bit into act 2 of the Witcher 3, and I'm okay with it, because I don't need another freaking game to play anyway.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 05:23 (3171 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Their games (with exception of Rising) are always top notch.

Are you insane?! Rising was really good! :-p

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 13:01 (3170 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I felt like I was playing Metal Gear Solid meets Dynasty Warriors. both are good. but dont mix well.

Maybe I should pay more attention

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 21:01 (3170 days ago) @ TheeChaos

On one hand, it is fantastic so far. Top notch.

On the other, and I did not know this until today, it has microtransactions.

Maybe I should pay more attention

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 09:52 (3169 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, the gameplay is epic. The microstransactions arent set up in a pay to win set up from what I can see.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread