Law of the Jungle and why it sucks

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:14 (3983 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:11

Why use an established text in your work? Maybe because it says perfectly what you want to say. Well, if that's the case then you don't need to say anything do you, since the work that already exists is already saying it! And so your work is unoriginal.

You may use it because you wish to extend and add to what it says. This is good because it's more efficient. But Bungie didn't do this. Point me to a new idea that springs from that work with the proper insight only they can provide. Can't? Dang not looking good.

The other reason is to appear smart. I can reference this because I'm literary. How many people watching that ad do you think read the original? I'm betting few.

Why use Giancarlo Esposito? Why use Jon Favreau? I'm serious, anybody could have directed that piece. What about that could hundreds of other directors not have done? What about that required him to do it? At least when I worked on a car commercial directed by Wes Anderson, it was stop motion Mr. Fox style. So yes while the ad hyped his name, at least the result was distinct enough that only he could have done it.

The reason is for the name. The reason is to make it look serious.

Take us seriously. This literature is serious. This actor is serious. This director is serious. We're serious.

But it's not, because if it was then that would be apparent on its own.

ZOMG TAKE THIS GAME AND OUR INDUSTRY SERIOUSLY. If you have to say that, then you're not ready.

(Please note I am saying nothing of the craftsmanship of this piece, as it's obviously very well put together and that doesn't suck. What sucks is the idea of it.)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:22 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

In their defense, how many serious (even the ones that don't quite fit your criteria) games have been taken seriously by mainstream media?

When I think serious I think Jon Favreau

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:24 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

Of course

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:29 (3983 days ago) @ Grizzlei

[image]

Giancarlo Esposito I can get behind though. Serious.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:39 (3983 days ago) @ Grizzlei

- No text -

Definitely

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:52 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Esposito is a terrific actor. So much power and sincerity in his delivery. I don't think Bungie is the sort to hire a reasonably well known face just for a quick buck. I'm guessing Law of the Jungle isn't the last we'll see of him in the Destiny universe.

Definitely

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 11:35 (3982 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Esposito is a terrific actor. So much power and sincerity in his delivery. I don't think Bungie is the sort to hire a reasonably well known face just for a quick buck. I'm guessing Law of the Jungle isn't the last we'll see of him in the Destiny universe.

Hope not!

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:33 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 18:49 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Why use an established text in your work? Maybe because it says perfectly what you want to say. Well, if that's the case then you don't need to say anything do you, since the work that already exists is already saying it! And so your work is unoriginal.

You may use it because you wish to extend and add to what it says. This is good because it's more efficient. But Bungie didn't do this. Point me to a new idea that springs from that work with the proper insight only they can provide. Can't? Dang not looking good.

I'm not going to bother debating whether or not the trailer has anything remotely resembling deep meaning, or whether it expands on previous such ideas, but I don't really agree with this. Reflecting a suggestion from other literature onto another piece of work without expanding on what said original literature said in and of itself isn't a reasonable approach for an advertisement?

"This weird brew has some interesting salted caramel vibes..."
"Hey, would you mind not referencing salted caramel unless you have something to add to it?"

So, am I supposed to take you seriously?

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:17 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

No I'm a troll you idiot

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:20 (3983 days ago) @ Ragashingo

- No text -

Let's try being polite, folks.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:44 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:57 (3983 days ago) @ Leviathan

Sorry, my scarcasm wasn't needed. I feel bad about rising to it.

I think I'll just check out until Bungie gives us something new to talk about.

Later.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:02 (3983 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Sorry, my scarcasm wasn't needed. I feel bad about rising to it.

I think I'll just check out until Bungie gives us something new to talk about.

Later.

Cody is one of those rare 'half-trolls', who says thoughtful things in an often troll-ish language, so don't feel too bad - we all get our feathers ruffled and forget to hit the delete button sometimes. :)

And as a mod (I actually forgot I was one for about a month there I think...), I'm going keep up Claude and HBO's standards of trying to let people sort their problems out on their own.

But if it degenerates into nothing but more name-calling like it started to here, I may have to figure out how to work these buttons...

Law of the Jungle and why it [rocks]

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:42 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Or maybe it's just because quoting other works and referencing a longer lineage of stories of various mediums is something that has been done... forever... from the best authors to the worst, from Shakespeare to... somebody that isn't Shakespeare.

I think it's awesome. The Halo 3 trailer that had Sgt. Johnson's voice actor doing Darkness by Byron? Also awesome.

(Also, if you pick a less sensationalist subject line, you might get a better discussion, as opposed to just pissing people off.)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 19:51 (3983 days ago) @ Leviathan

Or maybe it's just because quoting other works and referencing a longer lineage of stories of various mediums is something that has been done... forever... from the best authors to the worst, from Shakespeare to... somebody that isn't Shakespeare.

I already explained why that was okay but this isn't.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:18 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I already explained why that was okay but this isn't.

Except you forgot a facet - what if the quote can reflect back and help explain Bungie's side of things (and not just do all the work like you suggested)? Why can't an author use a quote to help a reader/viewer start to connect ideas they already have and bring them into the world of Destiny and use that to add even more substance and spark to their world?

It gets the ball rolling. It allows the audience to create connections the author can't even fathom and use their imagination to construct a new synthesis of Bungie designs and other laws of the jungle. New ideas are always created from combining other ideas. Maybe watchers might start thinking on Aesop's Fables (that's what I did). Maybe they'd think up a cool character that fits a similar story or fable.

I don't see how any of that can be bad, especially for younger folks. Maybe even some kids went out and read the quoted piece! I've done that before in other situations and when I see other people do that, I think it's awesome. Halo led me to a number of great science fiction novels!

Me, personally, immediately got new vibes about the style of Destiny from this trailer, and quite possibly it's cooperative gameplay (we'll see here soon if I'm right). And even if it doesn't show the actual game, it gives me food for thought. Something to think about when I'm taking a shower. I found it engaging and inspiring.

Oh, and there's also another explanation to include a quote other than greed and pretentiousness:

"It's neat."

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:23 (3983 days ago) @ Leviathan

"It's neat."

In all my years as a film editor, whenever I ask a director justify his vision when I disagree, and he comes back with this, then that's a guarantee that the idea is bad.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:45 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's neat."

In all my years as a film editor, whenever I ask a director justify his vision when I disagree, and he comes back with this, then that's a guarantee that the idea is bad.

But Levi isn't the director... he's the consumer. A very important distinction.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:52 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's neat."

*pulls up suspenders*

Weeeeell I'll have you know in all my years as an amateur fan-fictionist, half my pages that go through deep examination and thoughtful construction suck balls. Sometimes the ones I think really hit the nail on the head were born out of the flow of making it and me thinking... 'Oooh, that's neat.'

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:52 (3983 days ago) @ Leviathan

Some people don't want to know how the sausage is made, they want to believe that through a personal, inflected journey they had a sausage epiphany. Sometimes it just tastes good.

Loved this comment.

by Cold, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 06:32 (3982 days ago) @ Leviathan

- No text -

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 01:24 (3982 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's neat."

I honestly don't know what's more jaw-dropping, the fact that you just said that, or that nobody else has called you out on it.

Since you've brought it up, though, how many years is that? How many directors have you disagreed with (don't cheap out and say "all" even though I'd believe it) and what "neat" things were you proven right about when the final product tanked?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 05:50 (3982 days ago) @ narcogen

"It's neat."

I honestly don't know what's more jaw-dropping, the fact that you just said that, or that nobody else has called you out on it.

Why would anybody call me out on it? That's what you're supposed to do as an editor. You are supposed to draw out the director's vision and make the best thing you can. By posing it as a question of that sort is actually helpful to them, and it's helpful to the editor to understand that vision. The good directors appreciate this. The bad ones hate it. The best editors do this well. The not so good ones don't.

Since you've brought it up, though, how many years is that? How many directors have you disagreed with (don't cheap out and say "all" even though I'd believe it) and what "neat" things were you proven right about when the final product tanked?

Since 2003, so that's ten?

The answer is all of them. How on earth could two people agree on every single thing? Sometimes it goes right. "Put in the shot of her walking into the house from the outside, we need to show the house off." "It slows the scene down, and her back is to the camera making it less intimate, and this is supposed to be a scene where the audience really connects to her."

Now. If the director then says "But the house is neat and we need to show off production value", you know that the decision doesn't really have any creative merit. But if he says "That's okay, because the house is meant to show the contrast between their worlds, and her walking in is like her bridging the gap between those worlds, so we need to show the contrast. Slowing the scene down is worth conveying this." then okay, you're on to something and now I get you.

It's not really a good idea to bring the specifics on these sorts of discussions out of the editing room, because it's kind of a safe place where ideas, good and bad, get thrown around. You only want people seeing the good things that come out of it.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 03, 2013, 23:21 (3981 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's neat."

Why would anybody call me out on it? That's what you're supposed to do as an editor. You are supposed to draw out the director's vision and make the best thing you can. By posing it as a question of that sort is actually helpful to them, and it's helpful to the editor to understand that vision. The good directors appreciate this. The bad ones hate it. The best editors do this well. The not so good ones don't.

I'm calling you out on it because you're employing an appeal to authority-- with yourself as the authority.

"This idea which I have in this area, which is correct, is correct because it's similar to this other situation in which I have ideas, in which I was proved to be correct, according to me. And no, you can't ask who or what ideas because that's deleterious to the creative process of these Hollywood directors whose films I am saving from stuff that they think is neat, but I think is crap."

Holy crap. Literally.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 08:03 (3980 days ago) @ narcogen

"This idea which I have in this area, which is correct, is correct because it's similar to this other situation in which I have ideas, in which I was proved to be correct, according to me. And no, you can't ask who or what ideas because that's deleterious to the creative process of these Hollywood directors whose films I am saving from stuff that they think is neat, but I think is crap."

Holy crap. Literally.

Who is projecting now?

by mnemesis, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 20:35 (3980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Holy crap. Literally.

Who is projecting now?

Still just you.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 21:05 (3980 days ago) @ mnemesis

Holy crap. Literally.

Who is projecting now?

Still just you.

Nah, he's just ignorant of how the collaborative process between director and editor works. Every single good editor will say the exact same thing I just said. Many actually have. It's not an appeal to authority with me as an authority. It's an appeal to common sense and actuality.

What I said is fairly uncontroversial.

Perhaps I could have phrased it better. When the only reason for including something is that 'it's neat', then it does not really have much creative merit, because if it did, then it could be justified by a better reason.

by mnemesis, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 21:12 (3980 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Nah, he's just ignorant of how the collaborative process between director and editor works. Every single good editor will say the exact same thing I just said. Many actually have. It's not an appeal to authority with me as an authority. It's an appeal to common sense and actuality.

I can't even hold "he's just ignorant" and "narcogen" in my mind at the same time. Sorry, but I think you're wrong about that. Perhaps it's your perception of common sense that is the problem.

What I said is fairly uncontroversial.

Perhaps I could have phrased it better. When the only reason for including something is that 'it's neat', then it does not really have much creative merit, because if it did, then it could be justified by a better reason.

I also disagree about this. Many things that I like, I like simply because they are 'neat.' Sometimes it's good enough for me.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 21:26 (3980 days ago) @ mnemesis

I also disagree about this. Many things that I like, I like simply because they are 'neat.' Sometimes it's good enough for me.

See there's your problem. You are equating 'things you like' with 'putting together a creative work'.

I like things because they are neat too.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 15:37 (3979 days ago) @ mnemesis

Two thoughts on this, kindly expressed. Peace love and wine, y'all.

1) You just appealed to narcogen's authority. I'm sure, like everyone, there's plenty he's ignorant on. Maybe I'm being a bit semantic... but that's what I understood from what you wrote.

2) It appears to me that Cody is the only professional editor in this thread. Am I mistaken? I'd like to see more explain why they know what they know, like Cody has (if only a little bit). If we were discussing automobile insurance, my opinion would be objectively better than any non-professional (pending any other insurance professionals here, I may be the best authority on the board). That shouldn't be insulting - what's wrong with professional and expert opinion? Their value, skeptically considered, is immense.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 16:38 (3979 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

2) It appears to me that Cody is the only professional editor in this thread. Am I mistaken?

Of film, maybe. I've spent many years editing and evaluating texts, mostly technical now, but I spent a lot more time with creative work in the past. That may be why I agree 99% with this statement from Cody:

When the only reason for including something is that 'it's neat', then it does not really have much creative merit, because if it did, then it could be justified by a better reason.

Why 99%? Because there are times when something is included that can't be easily justified. For that scene at the motel, why did the night clerk have a pet Capuchin monkey? It can't always be pinned down, even though the monkey is inexplicably what makes the scene work.

Regarding the issue at hand, Bungie's use of Kipling established several things about this new universe:

- This is our world.
- Stories matter here--past, present, and yet to be written.
- Our hero has been raised to understand the value of the individual and the value of the group.

When an element serves several functions in a creative work, that's a sign of quality by my lights.

Kermit

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 08:44 (3979 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Quote. Of. The. Day.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 15:41 (3979 days ago) @ Beorn

Perhaps I could have phrased it better.

Quote. Of. The. Day.

In my opinion, we should all have that as a stickie note on our monitors. Thank the Claude for DBO's edit button.

People who concern themselves with reason

by Cold, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 09:19 (3979 days ago) @ Cody Miller

...often miss the point.
Like, whoa.

by kapowaz, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 02:07 (3982 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"It's neat."

In all my years of using appeal to authority logical fallacies, I have never switched to a straw man fallacy partway through my sentence.

I sort of agree.

by bryan newman @, Kentucky, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:15 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The part about trying to appear smart. Why quote other people's work? What does it add to yours? It's plagiarism in the strictest legal definition. Also I see know why Jon Faverou couldn't be bothered to direct Iron Man 3....He was too busy directing all 10 seconds of Gus reading the jungle book.

That all said...Fucking badass trailer, and DAT MARTY MUSIC!!!

I sort of agree.

by Leisandir @, Virginia, USA, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 20:56 (3983 days ago) @ bryan newman

In this case, it's a citation, not plagiarism. Plagiarism involves claiming another's work as your own; if you identify the original work, it is not plagiarism.

I sort of agree.

by kapowaz, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 02:10 (3982 days ago) @ bryan newman

The part about trying to appear smart. Why quote other people's work? What does it add to yours? It's plagiarism in the strictest legal definition.

Watch Kirby Ferguson's documentary series ‘Everything Is A Remix’. Then we'll talk.

I sort of agree.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 15:52 (3979 days ago) @ kapowaz

The part about trying to appear smart. Why quote other people's work? What does it add to yours? It's plagiarism in the strictest legal definition.

Watch Kirby Ferguson's documentary series ‘Everything Is A Remix’. Then we'll talk.

I haven't seen this, but this post seems like the place to say this: my years of playing music showed me something. Folks can hoot and holler and crow about how original their idea is, but in the end, their just blowing smoke up my bum. Truthfully, we're all in a giant jam session, riffing off each other. The universe is made of tiny particles, what makes it interesting is always how they're put together.

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 05, 2013, 15:55 (3979 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

I sort of agree.

by RC ⌂, UK, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 03:48 (3982 days ago) @ bryan newman

Quoting something is explicitly NOT plagiarising it.

I sort of agree.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 03, 2013, 23:39 (3981 days ago) @ bryan newman
edited by narcogen, Monday, June 03, 2013, 23:42

No, it's not. If you think so, you misunderstand the strict (or even the loose, to be honest) definition of plagiarism.

If Bungie were passing off the work as their own, it would be plagiarism. However, since the quotation is well-known, and the title of the video is drawn from the original work directly, and even the pages are the book are shown, I don't think anyone can seriously accuse Bungie of plagiarism here.

One might have considered it infringement, if Kipling's works were not i the public domain, which they are, because they were published in the US before 1923. Even when the author's life + 75 year rule is applied, they are STILL in the public domain.

I really don't think you can substantiate an allegation of plagiarism on the idea that people who don't recognize the reference would assume it is Bungie's original creation. And after all, it would be hard to appear smart in front of an audience that didn't get the reference.

Why quote other works? Because they exist. Because nothing is original. Because stories are shared experiences, and like those experiences, are meant to be shared, borrowed, changed, adapted, and stolen. Most of Shakespeare's plays were basically rewrites of other works. Some very entertaining modern works are adaptations of Shakespeare-- Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead leaps immediately to mind. (That work certainly extends and enhances the original in ways that this trailer does not, but then again, it's a feature length play and film and a work in its own right, not a 90 second TV spot.

Why quote it? Because it exists in the Destiny Universe.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 00:03 (3981 days ago) @ narcogen

Why quote other works? Because they exist. Because nothing is original. Because stories are shared experiences, and like those experiences, are meant to be shared, borrowed, changed, adapted, and stolen. Most of Shakespeare's plays were basically rewrites of other works. Some very entertaining modern works are adaptations of Shakespeare-- Rosencrantz And Guildenstern Are Dead leaps immediately to mind. (That work certainly extends and enhances the original in ways that this trailer does not, but then again, it's a feature length play and film and a work in its own right, not a 90 second TV spot.

I would also point out that they are setting up a fictional world here that shares history with our own. Having the father read the Jungle Book to his son is bringing home the idea that this is not an alternate history or a different galaxy far far away, it's here, on our planet. I appreciate that kind of setup, especially when they only have around 60 seconds to do it. Creating an original piece of fiction for a 60 second commercial would not setup that idea of sharing our world AND get across the idea of teamwork that they were striving for. Taking away one or the other takes away from the message, so technically in this setting (IMHO) it would be taking AWAY from a short 60 second production to make up a piece instead of using a well established (and respected) one.

That's a really good point.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 00:20 (3981 days ago) @ Xenos

That's a really good point. Bungie has been trying to push an eerie sort of immediateness on Destiny's setting, and that's a feels way to do it.

Thank you

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:13 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

for breaking that long streak of saying things I agree with, so completely and utterly.

It brought a smile to my face this morning.

This made me laugh out loud

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 01:36 (3982 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by Cassandra075, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:16 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think it's interesting because it adds a certain element of connection to the real world.

Your idea and why it sucks

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:25 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There is nothing new under the sun, so to speak. Ultimately the difference between borrowing content and stealing it is execution.

You may also use it to explicate part of your content, which Bungie did here, illustrating how what appears to be otherwise ordinary looking gameplay sequences (one dude takes out a bunch of dudes, then three dudes face off against one big dude) illustrates a key concept in Bungie's new world-- emphasis on cooperative play not as an afterthought but as a core concept of the game, and a world built to exploit that concept: a world that punishes lone wolves and rewards the pack.

You may use it to set tone, which Bungie did here. Mythic science fiction, as they have said, taking a classic adventure story and transplanting it into a science fiction seting.

The other reason is to appear smart. I can reference this because I'm literary. How many people watching that ad do you think read the original? I'm betting few.

I think you're projecting your own insecurity onto Bungie. Bungie, I think, references literary works they like in games they make because they like those works, because they like exploring some of the same themes as those works, and because they like the idea of injecting a bit of literature into popular entertainment.

Why use Giancarlo Esposito? Why use Jon Favreau? I'm serious, anybody could have directed that piece.

Maybe they like him? Maybe he'll be doing a voiceover in the game? Okay I admit, Favreau maybe was just a bit of name-dropping, but many film directors start off in commercials and some even move back and forth. Esposito, Favreau, and Bungie may just be fans of each others' work without it meaning much of anything beyond that. If Bungie/Activision can afford them and they are available, why the hell not?

Are you saying you put in a bid on the job? :)

The reason is for the name. The reason is to make it look serious.

Take us seriously. This literature is serious. This actor is serious. This director is serious. We're serious.

The director name-dropping was, but if you're looking for something pretentious and out of place in that ad that deserves a call-out, it's not the use of Esposito or the reference to Kipling, it's the unnecessary "From the guys who paid for Call of Duty" reference to Activision.

But it's not, because if it was then that would be apparent on its own.

ZOMG TAKE THIS GAME AND OUR INDUSTRY SERIOUSLY. If you have to say that, then you're not ready.

Disagree. Some people feel it is ready, and some may agree with that, but not be aware of it. Sometimes an announcement is necessary and appropriate.

(Please note I am saying nothing of the craftsmanship of this piece, as it's obviously very well put together and that doesn't suck. What sucks is the idea of it.)

What sucks is the meta idea you've projected onto it that comes more from your head than anyone else's. Yeah, I agree, that kinda sucks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:40 (3983 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 21:46

You may also use it to explicate part of your content, which Bungie did here, illustrating how what appears to be otherwise ordinary looking gameplay sequences (one dude takes out a bunch of dudes, then three dudes face off against one big dude) illustrates a key concept in Bungie's new world-- emphasis on cooperative play not as an afterthought but as a core concept of the game, and a world built to exploit that concept: a world that punishes lone wolves and rewards the pack.

And you really think a text, that I guarantee you was not written with Bungie in mind and has no connection to them whatsoever is the best way to do that? Why not write something of your own tailored specifically to this ad, and to Destiny? Further, explaining how your game works doesn't really count as creative expression… unless you pretend it does.

You may use it to set tone, which Bungie did here. Mythic science fiction, as they have said, taking a classic adventure story and transplanting it into a science fiction seting.

Which means Destiny will be full of clichés and generally not the thing that gets people to admit games are serious when it comes to stories.

I think you're projecting your own insecurity onto Bungie. Bungie, I think, references literary works they like in games they make because they like those works, because they like exploring some of the same themes as those works, and because they like the idea of injecting a bit of literature into popular entertainment.

Why do they like injecting it? Again if you want to explore the same themes as somethign you inject, you had better extend the analysis. The best works do not reference. They are referenced.

Why use Giancarlo Esposito? Why use Jon Favreau? I'm serious, anybody could have directed that piece.

Maybe they like him? Maybe he'll be doing a voiceover in the game? Okay I admit, Favreau maybe was just a bit of name-dropping, but many film directors start off in commercials and some even move back and forth. Esposito, Favreau, and Bungie may just be fans of each others' work without it meaning much of anything beyond that. If Bungie/Activision can afford them and they are available, why the hell not?

Dude, being a fan of someone isn't a good reason to cast them. You cast someone because he is best for the part. For the record, I'm not going to criticize his casting, because frankly it is awesome and effective at doing what was set out to be done. Also let me remind you of the shitty job Laura Prepon did in Halo 2 as a marine. She might have been a fan, and they might have been a fan. So what? Her performance was bad and it hurt the game.

What sucks is the meta idea you've projected onto it that comes more from your head than anyone else's. Yeah, I agree, that kinda sucks.

This to me is prima facie about the games industry envying, and wanting to be takes as seriously as hollywood. I cannot believe this is not apparent to anybody else, but I understand why such a thing will be denied.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Saturday, June 01, 2013, 22:24 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Also let me remind you of the shitty job Laura Prepon did in Halo 2 as a marine. She might have been a fan, and they might have been a fan. So what? Her performance was bad and it hurt the game.

.... Just how was it bad? The delivery of her lines? Did you hate David Cross too? Both of them added variety to the dialog. Humans do not all speak or address situations in the same way. Laura played down every single line (if I remember right). Some people are like that. David was an over the top retard. Some people are like that.

Heaven forbid we have some variety.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 01:14 (3983 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by narcogen, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 01:21

And you really think a text, that I guarantee you was not written with Bungie in mind and has no connection to them whatsoever is the best way to do that?

I don't believe I need to assert that. By providing a limited list of things such a reference could be employed to achieve, you implied it could not be employed to achieve anything else. I don't have to prove it was the "best" way of doing it. I'm not even sure how that applies. Surely there may have been dozens if not hundreds of different ways to illustrate a point with no clear objective scale in sight along which to assign a value of "best". I'd be more interested in figuring out what can be learnt from the choice and what it might say about the work.

For a guy who calls out sources he barely understands, you've got a lot of gall to suggest that what this is is Bungie being pretentious. Then, to back that up, you spew some pseudophilosophy with a side order of Matrix references. Good grief, who do you think you're kidding?

Kipling, in 1894, was not writing with Bungie in mind-- a company that would not open for another hundred years? You don't say. As for how it is relevant, you can't say, because it isn't. There is no prerequisite for a work to be created with the intention of later being referenced or modified in order for that work, in whole or in part, to be employed for other purposes. One might as well say that Marathon and Halo are intellectually bankrupt and unoriginal because Greek epic poems weren't written with video games in mind.

Why not write something of your own tailored specifically to this ad, and to Destiny? Further, explaining how your game works doesn't really count as creative expression… unless you pretend it does.

Are we still talking about a tv commercial, or not?

Did you miss every single reference or allusion to other works of fiction or poetry in all of Bungie's previous games-- and their promotional materials-- or is this one sticking in your craw for some particular reason that you've not written? Because most of this is rather nonspecific vitriol and grandstanding.

Which means Destiny will be full of clichés and generally not the thing that gets people to admit games are serious when it comes to stories.

It's strange how most writers will readily admit that there are a fairly limited number of story structures that resonate with audiences. What generally separates those referred to as "tropes" or even "classical" from those derided as "cliché" is usually the quality of execution, which you avoided talking about because you said it was well done.

Why do they like injecting it? Again if you want to explore the same themes as somethign you inject, you had better extend the analysis. The best works do not reference. They are referenced.

Not going to address that first point, eh? Thought not. That last point is first class, grade A rhetorical nonsense. Are all of Shakespeare's plays inferior to the Italian originals he ripped off, then? Not to mention that it creates an infinite regression, where the only actually GOOD work is the very first one, since everything else is a reference to it.

You're spouting vile nonsense, even for you.

Dude, being a fan of someone isn't a good reason to cast them. You cast someone because he is best for the part. For the record, I'm not going to criticize his casting, because frankly it is awesome and effective at doing what was set out to be done.

So what are we talking about again? You brought up the casting. But now you're not going to criticize it? Which is it? Maybe they thought he was right for the part? Equal amounts threatening and avuncular? Someone with a distinctive voice? I'm still really not sure what you're getting at, except to say that if they wanted somebody like him, they should have just cast somebody like him, but not actually him, because of course to hire an A list TV actor is putting on airs.

You're being a snob, pure and simple. You're essentially saying that Bungie is casting talent out of its pay grade by hiring a good actor and a good director to do a TV commercial for a game that you don't think is worthy. Which is ridiculous, since Favreau is best known for pop entertainment: two out of three good Iron Man flicks, Zathura, which I liked, and Cowboys and Aliens, which was dreck. Heck, maybe they'd even have him in to do all the in-game cinematics, if he had the time. He'd probably be good at it. What exactly is it about making a few profitable action movies that makes doing a TV commercial for an action game such an unforgivable act of hubris on the part of Bungie in specific, or the gaming industry in general? I'm just not seeing it.

Also let me remind you of the shitty job Laura Prepon did in Halo 2 as a marine.

I disagree completely and wholeheartedly.

She might have been a fan, and they might have been a fan. So what? Her performance was bad and it hurt the game.

Except it wasn't, and it didn't.

This to me is prima facie about the games industry envying, and wanting to be takes as seriously as hollywood. I cannot believe this is not apparent to anybody else, but I understand why such a thing will be denied.

Most of that is going on inside your head. You might want to ask yourself why that is. Somehow you've aligned some insecurity you're feeling, either about yourself or your interest in games, and are projecting it bigger than life size onto the entire industry. Or else you've aligned yourself with "Hollywood" and view these changes as aspirations to something the gaming industry doesn't-- in your learned opinion-- deserve.

That the industry is itself going through certain transitions, and has individuals in it who aspire for their creations to be classified more as high art than commercial art, is one thing. To come to the conclusion that an increase in budgets and production values amounts to delusions of grandeur is quite another, and I would say is unsubstantiated, especially when you try and lump in Bungie's literary references as well, which is a trend that has been going on for far, far longer.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 06:17 (3982 days ago) @ narcogen

For a guy who calls out sources he barely understands, you've got a lot of gall to suggest that what this is is Bungie being pretentious. Then, to back that up, you spew some pseudophilosophy with a side order of Matrix references. Good grief, who do you think you're kidding?

That is a completely different thread and I have not applied any of it here.

Kipling, in 1894, was not writing with Bungie in mind-- a company that would not open for another hundred years? You don't say. As for how it is relevant, you can't say, because it isn't. There is no prerequisite for a work to be created with the intention of later being referenced or modified in order for that work, in whole or in part, to be employed for other purposes. One might as well say that Marathon and Halo are intellectually bankrupt and unoriginal because Greek epic poems weren't written with video games in mind.

Not going to address that first point, eh? Thought not. That last point is first class, grade A rhetorical nonsense. Are all of Shakespeare's plays inferior to the Italian originals he ripped off, then? Not to mention that it creates an infinite regression, where the only actually GOOD work is the very first one, since everything else is a reference to it.

This is not true and you are missing the point. If your work ADDS something to the original it's worthwhile, either by extending the original with your own insight, applying it in a new way, or negating it.

So what are we talking about again? You brought up the casting. But now you're not going to criticize it? Which is it? Maybe they thought he was right for the part? Equal amounts threatening and avuncular? Someone with a distinctive voice? I'm still really not sure what you're getting at, except to say that if they wanted somebody like him, they should have just cast somebody like him, but not actually him, because of course to hire an A list TV actor is putting on airs.

I like his casting… he does have a good voice for reading this. That's awesome. I'm talking about Jon Favreau.

You're being a snob, pure and simple. You're essentially saying that Bungie is casting talent out of its pay grade by hiring a good actor and a good director to do a TV commercial for a game that you don't think is worthy. Which is ridiculous, since Favreau is best known for pop entertainment: two out of three good Iron Man flicks, Zathura, which I liked, and Cowboys and Aliens, which was dreck.

Isn't that validating my point, where even the name they could get is in your opinion only capable of pop entertainment and dreck?

Also let me remind you of the shitty job Laura Prepon did in Halo 2 as a marine.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/h2dialogue/marine_sassy/marinesassy01_20070724.mp3

That's your idea of not bad?

That the industry is itself going through certain transitions, and has individuals in it who aspire for their creations to be classified more as high art than commercial art, is one thing. To come to the conclusion that an increase in budgets and production values amounts to delusions of grandeur is quite another, and I would say is unsubstantiated, especially when you try and lump in Bungie's literary references as well, which is a trend that has been going on for far, far longer.

Where exactly did I say that more production value and budgets is delusions of grandeur? Properly applied, that's actually how you get a better game.

Bungie's old references were fine, since the focus was on the game and the story was a fun backdrop to play around in. The fun was deciphering the story, and in that regard references can be fun because it's like a clue of sorts. The marathon story was not a masterpiece of literature, but it was a masterpiece of video game fiction, and that comes from deciphering and discovering its secrets. I can't remember Bungie ever hyping up Marathon through literary references or by hiring a name to direct a commercial. In fact most of Bungie's ads for marathon were pretty crass Actually.

Would not be canon

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 21:52 (3982 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is not true and you are missing the point. If your work ADDS something to the original it's worthwhile, either by extending the original with your own insight, applying it in a new way, or negating it.

Adding to the original content would not be canon.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 03, 2013, 23:30 (3981 days ago) @ Cody Miller

That is ONE way to employ a reference. It is not the one, true way. The use of this reference in this context achieves a lot of goals. It connects this fictional universe to our real one by marking a point of commonality. It says that children in that world are read the same bedtime stories as people in our world in the past have been told, and that the lessons are applicable in that world-- not just within the fictional world those characters inhabit, but within the gameplay context that players will experience within that world.

I like his casting… he does have a good voice for reading this. That's awesome. I'm talking about Jon Favreau.

You're being a snob, pure and simple. You're essentially saying that Bungie is casting talent out of its pay grade by hiring a good actor and a good director to do a TV commercial for a game that you don't think is worthy. Which is ridiculous, since Favreau is best known for pop entertainment: two out of three good Iron Man flicks, Zathura, which I liked, and Cowboys and Aliens, which was dreck.

Isn't that validating my point, where even the name they could get is in your opinion only capable of pop entertainment and dreck?

No, it's completely undermining your point. Your point was that Bungie is overreaching. You cited the reputation of Jon Favreau as evidence of that overreaching. I pointed out that both Bungie and Favreau basically produce popular commercial art. I see no overreaching.

http://halo.bungie.org/misc/h2dialogue/marine_sassy/marinesassy01_20070724.mp3

That's your idea of not bad?

That might not be the best line reading I've ever heard, but no, within the context of the game I did not have any problem with that reading. Did you? If so, what was it? The thread keeps getting vaguer and vaguer.

Where exactly did I say that more production value and budgets is delusions of grandeur? Properly applied, that's actually how you get a better game.

Where above do I attribute any of that to you? That is what I am saying. The accusations of delusions of grandeur are what you are alleging, and one does not substantiate the other. Neither does the employment of Jon Favreau or a quote from Kipling.

Bungie's old references were fine, since the focus was on the game and the story was a fun backdrop to play around in. The fun was deciphering the story, and in that regard references can be fun because it's like a clue of sorts. The marathon story was not a masterpiece of literature, but it was a masterpiece of video game fiction, and that comes from deciphering and discovering its secrets. I can't remember Bungie ever hyping up Marathon through literary references or by hiring a name to direct a commercial. In fact most of Bungie's ads for marathon were pretty crass Actually.

Bungie was pretty small and had limited resources. Advertising on television or even Internet videos were basically out of the question. Marathon's story was text only because it had to be. Later games have employed audiovisuals in the telling of the story. On what basis would anyone expect or desire Bungie to maintain some kind of artificial wall where references to one work should remain completely within the work itself, and not within promotional materials when possible?

I really don't think you've got a point here at all. You're railing at something, and I'm still not sure what, and every time I've asked or speculated about it in the thread, you've avoided it completely.

At any rate, I don't think I have any more to say on it.

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 07:01 (3982 days ago) @ narcogen

I'm always impressed by the effort that goes into these discussions - I get as annoyed as anyone here by Cody's obnoxious style of conversation-baiting, but I enjoy the ensuing thought.

Which is probably good, because I thought the Law of the Jungle was neat.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 08:30 (3982 days ago) @ Claude Errera

aaaand that's a great way to end this thread. :-p

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, June 03, 2013, 23:31 (3981 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm always impressed by the effort that goes into these discussions - I get as annoyed as anyone here by Cody's obnoxious style of conversation-baiting, but I enjoy the ensuing thought.

I see what you did there :)

Indeed.

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Thursday, June 06, 2013, 00:56 (3979 days ago) @ Claude Errera

As for my meager contribution to the thread: I also thought the trailer was super neato.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, June 02, 2013, 11:38 (3982 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

lol

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 04, 2013, 16:53 (3980 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread