The Taken King Live Action Trailer (Destiny)

by CougRon, Auburn, WA, USA, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:15 (3153 days ago)

Much better use of Zeppelin.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:21 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

Yep. That was perfect.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:35 (3153 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Grinning like an idiot -->

by JDQuackers ⌂ @, McMurray, PA, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:25 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

That was perfect. I loved it

Loved it. :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:25 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

I'd give it a 7 out of 10

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:25 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

And that's mostly because it starred a Titan.

I'd give it a 9 out of 10

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:42 (3153 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

And that's mostly because it starred a Titan. If it stared a Hunter or Warlock I'd have given it 7 out of 10. :P

9 out of 10... watched again and again.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 15:47 (3153 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

Nice way to hype up the DLC with the massive 2.0 changes in preparation for launch.

The Taken King Live Action Trailer

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:02 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

I like that they're the Guardians from the first live action trailer. Wonder how long they can keep that going with major releases. Would love to see these more than just annually. But I'm a sucker for practicals.

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:16 (3153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Everything about that was great.

I wonder... there's was very little real life stuff in there, so why do it like that? Just for a different, fun, lifelike look? I mean, so much of it is CG that most people probably think it's CG, right? Why not just do all CG and up the render quality?

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:29 (3153 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

I wonder... there's was very little real life stuff in there, so why do it like that? Just for a different, fun, lifelike look? I mean, so much of it is CG that most people probably think it's CG, right? Why not just do all CG and up the render quality?

It's a focal point thing and more importantly the inherent sense of weight and the impact of real-world lighting that we still don't entirely capture. Big fan of puppets and costumes for those reasons, though I acknowledge in film making the best results are combining multiple disciplines. Part of liking practicals is that it is more lifelike, but it's also that there is a sense of, dare to use the word, gravitas anytime there is a tangible manifestation to connect with.

Yes, a lot of that was CG, but so are most things that get put on screen these days. Building and cars get pasted in all the time. But those are easier to replicate so they are less notable. Actors in costumes ground the Guardians, even if there is a layer of glitter on top. And given that it is explicitly advertising and more a player insert, I give it more of a pass on gameplay/story segregation. Same reason "We Are ODST" is the best Halo ad.

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:45 (3153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It's a focal point thing and more importantly the inherent sense of weight and the impact of real-world lighting that we still don't entirely capture. Big fan of puppets and costumes for those reasons, though I acknowledge in film making the best results are combining multiple disciplines. Part of liking practicals is that it is more lifelike, but it's also that there is a sense of, dare to use the word, gravitas anytime there is a tangible manifestation to connect with.

Gravitas, yes. Or maybe it's the je ne sais quoi.

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 17:08 (3153 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

That is definitely fair to say. And I may have to remember to use that the next time someone asks me why I like puppets!

Reminds me of the test footage for The Thing (2011) where they used practical effects, but some producer thought it would be a great idea to just replace it all with CG instead of using CG to enhance the practicals. So. Much. Lost. Potential.

Live action & 2 changes to make it better.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:30 (3153 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

Everything about that was great.

It was very apparent to me that it wasn't all CG, and I liked that it wasn't. There's just something about having actual actors, even if they are covered in armor.

There are 2 things I would change:

1- it should have been longer
2- more zeppelin is more better (see #1)

and really, that's just because I enjoyed it so much.

Live action & 2 changes to make it better.

by DreadPirateWes, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:50 (3153 days ago) @ dogcow

It was very apparent to me that it wasn't all CG, and I liked that it wasn't. There's just something about having actual actors, even if they are covered in armor.

I was thinking more about my parents, wife, grandparents, and other non-gamers. I think they might have no clue that is not what the video game actually looks like.

This reminds me of that that app commercial with the hot girl in the roman armor for the city/castle building game. Which brings up the question, wouldn't this commercial have been better with more zeppelin AND a hot girl?

Kate Upton makes any commercial better.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 18:14 (3153 days ago) @ DreadPirateWes

- No text -

Kate Upton could make me want to purchase literally anything

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 18:19 (3153 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

Did you buy that dumb game?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 18:23 (3153 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

Did not ;) once I found out she was only in the commercials

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 19:01 (3153 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I think it's free. But no, I didn't get it.

by DreadPirateWes, Friday, September 11, 2015, 02:10 (3152 days ago) @ CommandrCleavage

- No text -

by CommandrCleavage @, USA-Midwest, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 18:22 (3153 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I too would love to see these more than once a year. They just get me so freaking amped up!!!!

Have now watched 5 times...

CC

+1 would watch again, and again, and again...

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Thursday, September 10, 2015, 16:26 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 20:50 (3153 days ago) @ CougRon

Good, but liked the first one better.

Yeah. The first one is hard to top, but I like them all.

by BlackstarBSP, Thursday, September 10, 2015, 22:21 (3153 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Venus, baby!

by Funkmon @, Friday, September 11, 2015, 00:29 (3153 days ago) @ BlackstarBSP

- No text -

VENUS!!

by BlackstarBSP, Saturday, September 12, 2015, 01:58 (3151 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread