OT - Remember you soon!

by Jillybean, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 05:39 (3984 days ago)

So, who's played the new game 'Remember Me'? Cody asked me my opinion and as reviews have been a little contentious so far,I thought I'd stick my thoughts here and find out what your experiences were.

There will be spoilers in this post

The elephant in the room is probably the fact it's a new IP. In fact, a quick scan of my shelves shows me it's the first non-sequel I've bought since Dishonoured. Before that it was L.A. Noire. So new IP with a female protagonist who isn't doing boobs and butt pose on the cover. Already, the game had enough credit for me to pre-order it.

It hasn't been heavily marketed in this neck of the woods, but I liked the look of some of the trailers. I'm not a fan of combo-combat. In fact, Arkham City is about the only game that I've really felt I got the hang of when it comes to chaining together moves. Unfortunately Remember Me doesn't excel in this area. My shortest combo regenerated health and mana, so I never really bothered trying to sling together more impressive ones, particularly when most of the time you're just bashing mooks long enough to regenerate enough mana to deal with a boss. While the combat is repetitive, it was fun, there just wasn't enough variation. The game introduces special attacks but almost immediately afterwards introduces another type of enemy which is immune to your new attack, reducing you to the x-x-x repetition until you can DOS and String Attack again. I also found it very difficult to dodge in order to string a 5 or 6 combo together, especially when fighting the enemies which are invisible or 'shades'.

So combat - not brilliant, but not bad either, I'd say. Unfortunately the game rests heavily on its combat. It's broken up by some painfully linear platforming sections where Nilin seems to lurch about like Nathan Drake. Faith could teach this girl a thing or two.

But it is a good game. It is beautiful, first off. The opening sequence is jaw droppingly wonderful and you will stop and stare at some truly gorgeous sewer levels. The 'when do games become art' debate will reference Remember Me, I'm sure of it. It's a real feast for the eyes.

The characters are also interesting. Nilin is fascinating, and slightly amoral, there is no remix in the game that leaves you with a satisfied feeling. All of them made me queasy and here was one in particular I wish I never had to do.

The story is good, particularly in lieu of the world. I haven't read all the backstory snippets yet, but it's a very clearly realised Neo-Paris we're messing about in. Unfortunately, at 'The Crash' remix, the story really starts to fall down for me. The reveal of 'who-Nilin-is' makes me wonder how she ever managed to get imprisoned in the first place. And Scylla's original response to how The Crash happened seems wildly psychotic to me (seriously - who blames a child for their bad driving?) The last story reveal was better, but by this point the story has become just a little too convoluted, and Nilin a little too powerless, for it to have the impact you want it to.

Nilin has no moral compunctions about changing people, even though she professes to feel uneasy about it. She has a lack of agency, just as we do, when our only option is to remix a memory when there's no sufficient reason for doing so. The gaping plot holes invoked by Nilin's patchy memory don't help.

I'd buy Remember Me DLC, but I'm not hoping for a sequel. I don't think that's a bad thing, though. The game is its own self contained story. It doesn't necessarily tell it as well as it could have, but it was a fun game, if not perfect. 'Not perfect' is by no means a condemnation.

I'd give it 3/5 stars, it sits just under Dishonoured, just above L.A. Noire.

OT - Remember you soon!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, June 08, 2013, 20:19 (3984 days ago) @ Jillybean

Thanks for the review. Looks like I'm going to 'forget' this game.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread