Destiny, Social Gaming, Shared World, and Numbers

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:41 (3975 days ago)

Think back. What's the default for 'social' games? Obviously games where you played with other people. But a long time ago that was only possible in person. So, the 'social' games of the past were the Street fighters, where you duked it out right next to someone, or the Streets of Rages where you and a friend beat up punks together, or the Mario Kart 64s where you and 3 others raced and battled for hours. That's the starting point: gaming with other people who are actually near you.

So why is everything being called social now, when it's LESS social than the default of actually having people in your presence? Destiny is being sold as a social, shared world game, yet the manner of its interaction, over the internet, is decidedly less social than playing with actual people. This is a necessity; we've already been told Destiny is an always connected experience. It's either internet or no play. So with that, do you really think 4 people are going to physically go to the same place with their 4 PS4s and their 4 monitors, and run that through the same internet connection? No, you're just going to sit alone and play with them virtually. Key word alone. Why are we calling that social? When UT and Q3 came out and made online multiplayer big, why weren't they called 'social games'?

Ask yourself, if the players you see on the screen were replaced with perfect bots who could play like your friends, and maybe even voice chat like them, would that make a difference? For Destiny, or other MMO games, the answer is no, since the virtual avatars are your only link. But in Mario Kart? No way. You can't punch a bot in the arm after being cheap with 3 red shells.

The standard for these sorts of shared worlds are MMOs like WOW, but isn't it Ironic that WoW has a reputation for breeding anti social dweebs who live in their parent's basement? Why is it that this is the conception of hardcore wow players? If the game were so social, wouldn't the hardcore players be suave, charismatic, organized, well versed in reading humans, etc? Of course not, because WoW is not a social game.

I see absolutely nothing in Destiny that would improve upon the lack of real social interaction with games like WoW, except for the fact that console gamers are probably more casual and would have other interests besides playing Destiny all day. Which leads us to…

The idea of having a shared world, AND the player becoming a legend is incompatible. Bungie describes Destiny as a shared world shooter, and also tells us our mission as a guardian is important and we can become legend.

So let's say the world is shared. You go through the wall, and find someone else has already take out all the enemies and gotten the loot. Drat, nothing to do! In fact, while you weren't playing someone went and did it all, and now they are the hero. And so in games like this, most people inevitably do NOT play a hero. They play the peon. Look at EVE or the old star wars galaxies. Most people in EVE just mine shit and work for a corporation; very few people get to be big players (heroes). Same in Star Wars galaxies. Most people made livings doing boring things, and becoming a jedi was outrageously hard that few people managed.

But who the fuck wants to play the peon? We want to be heroes! Okay, so the world isn't completely shared. It looks like Destiny will feature instances, as well as 'public events' (having this appear on screen breaks the immersion pretty hard by the way Bungie). So, everybody can do the event / quests / whatever. But if that's the case, and everyone can be the hero, then really nobody is a hero. Legend implies someone exceptional, but if everybody else is doing the same stuff you are, then nobody is really legendary is it? Oh you killed that huge monster? Congrats, so did everybody else.

So you either have the shared world, and make people play peons, or you let everybody do the content, in which case nobody's really legendary. Sounds like someone thought this through well!

Stats are another thing that bug me. You can increase your Stats in destiny, level up your guns, and your numbers. I'm sure your luck stat increases your chance of a critical hit - nevermind that critical hits are stupid in a game based on your skill at shooting. Anyway, RPGs made numbers go up for two reasons. The first, is that back in the day that's all games could really do. They certainly couldn't replace the DM. They still can't - AI will never be good enough. But numbers computers could simulate. So, RPGs became about numbers.

We are at the point now, that numbers going up is included in RPGs for the simple fact that they would be fucking stupid without them. See, most RPGs, even Action RPGS, are dreadfully simple in their strategy and very easy to master. Attack, heal. Got it? You win. Nobody would play these fucking games if they could master them in 30 minutes, so the solution is to make the enemies harder. So now, you have to level yourself up to compensate. That's what makes the games hard. Not the strategy of the battles, but the grinding to level up. Oh, attacking and healing won't beat these guys. Level up until it will. The optimal strategy in these games is very easy to figure out, even the ones that appear to have complex systems. Numbers are there to mask this.

But god dammit Bungie, the first person shooter isn't a shitty genre like JRPGs. You can't master the FPS in 30 minutes! The demands on the player are much more varied, and much more deep. YOU DON'T NEED NUMBERS. Leveling up weapons can be done right (vanquish), but that's because it's a stretegic decision with no right or wrong answer, and because the upgrades are fixed, and because the single player progression is linear. None of that is true for destiny.

So why does Destiny have numbers and loot? My guess is that many enemies will probably be only affected, or much more vulnerable to the advanced abilities of certain weapons, necessitating you to get them before you can fight them. Why would Bungie want to do that?

That's easy: I can play content faster than Bungie can create it. How many people finished Halo in under 15 hours? Do you think Halo took 15 hours to make? In a shared world like destiny, it's not going to be very populated if after the first two weeks folks blow though everything. Bungie can't make new content that fast. So, the sensible thing is to increase the amount of time needed to complete the content.

I don't know if they plan to do this, but I don't see how they couldn't simply because folks can play faster than they can make, and the game relies on people being in the world. Again this is speculation, but if anybody else can think of a legitimate reason why stats go up and guns get more powerful, I'd like to hear.

All and all, I fail to see how Destiny solves any of these problems in ways traditional large scale multiplayer games do not, and bullet sponge raid bosses are really dumb.

You bring up a lot of good points

by Avateur @, Monday, June 10, 2013, 20:58 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Avateur, Monday, June 10, 2013, 21:08

Really good points. As you stated, a lot of it is speculation, and who knows what the actual mechanic here is. Who knows if the gun abilities only add more fun to the game and an added amount of complexity as opposed to something designed to keep you grinding until you can beat the next super strong baddy.

Your thoughts on combat are a problem I've had with MMOs for a very long time. I feel you're spot on. But this shared world experience could mean more. Does it all come down to battles? One of the questions I asked a while back (and it may be a while more before we ever find out) was whether or not guilds/clans are designed for combat. What about just going on quests and exploring? Are we going to be attacked and in combat constantly? What about the mystery of where we are and where we're going and what we might find? How intellectual will the game be?

This E3 reveal definitely looked more like a basic mechanics/combat demo to try and show action, fun, environments, and the way some things might work. I'm excited to see what comes next, particularly what comes next that doesn't revolve around combat.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:21 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

"Ask yourself, if the players you see on the screen were replaced with perfect bots who could play like your friends, and maybe even voice chat like them"
I'd like to talk about how I disagree with you, but I'm busy imagining how we'd have essentially robot people who live to play games.
"AI will never be good enough."
Awwwwwwww.

Anyway, I play Dungeons & Dragons and there are numbers to go up in that. If you are insulting stats, then you are being so dumb I can't talk to you. Insulting stats in a certain game: Fine. Disliking stats in general: Fine. Saying they are objectively bad in most cases, that they are inherently bad, I just can't accept that. Look, Cody, you don't like stats. The end. There isn't anything more here if you are going to extend that to them being bad. I'm sorry I'm so confrontational, but you just made a VERY stupid blanket statement, and I stayed up too late. Okay, I'm calm again, so I'm just gonna step out for my own good, especially since you seem to be against one particular type of stat but masking it with hatred of stats in general.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, June 10, 2013, 22:46 (3975 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Anyway, I play Dungeons & Dragons and there are numbers to go up in that. If you are insulting stats, then you are being so dumb I can't talk to you. Insulting stats in a certain game: Fine. Disliking stats in general: Fine. Saying they are objectively bad in most cases, that they are inherently bad, I just can't accept that. Look, Cody, you don't like stats. The end. There isn't anything more here if you are going to extend that to them being bad. I'm sorry I'm so confrontational, but you just made a VERY stupid blanket statement, and I stayed up too late. Okay, I'm calm again, so I'm just gonna step out for my own good, especially since you seem to be against one particular type of stat but masking it with hatred of stats in general.

You, playing D&D, should know the stats are incidental and a small part of the experience. Most of it is about the ROLE PLAYING. There's very little role playing in (most) video game RPGs, so the stats become the dominating component.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:14 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Buddy, here's the thing: Stats aren't always incidental to the point of role-playing (Which can be the point, but it doesn't have to be; hack-and-slash is good too). They are often important to the role-playing. Otherwise, you would have either a DM arbitrarily assigning success or failure, unmodified dice deciding everything, or interactive storytelling. All of those could probably make for great fun, but so can stat-heavy D&D, even if people don't bother with character personalities. To each their own, Cody. Really, if you want to express your opinions, express your opinions. Don't just up-and-say that objectively, stats are bad, because you CAN'T. You can't make a generalization when it is about something as wildly subjective as fun. This is what makes you so inflammatory; you take a controversial/contrary/divided opinion and prevent it as truth.

should know the stats are incidental and a small part of the experience.

Nope, stats are fairly important in the games I play in. If I had to say what was most part of the experience, I'd say probably more actions than stats or role-playing- not that either one is the important part, just the result of smashing them together is what they play for. That's just my group, and only my perception of it at that.

When I said that stats are important to role-playing, I mean they provide an outline for a character. They can be used to get someplace to start with a character, and that can make building a character off of that easier. They aren't necessary, but not even Role-playing is necessary; most games find a balance between those extremes. And if you debate that, I'm gonna stick with the Dungeon Master's Guide's view of how the game should work over yours.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 05:32 (3975 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

Buddy, here's the thing: Stats aren't always incidental to the point of role-playing (Which can be the point, but it doesn't have to be; hack-and-slash is good too). They are often important to the role-playing. Otherwise, you would have either a DM arbitrarily assigning success or failure, unmodified dice deciding everything, or interactive storytelling. All of those could probably make for great fun, but so can stat-heavy D&D, even if people don't bother with character personalities. To each their own, Cody. Really, if you want to express your opinions, express your opinions. Don't just up-and-say that objectively, stats are bad, because you CAN'T. You can't make a generalization when it is about something as wildly subjective as fun. This is what makes you so inflammatory; you take a controversial/contrary/divided opinion and prevent it as truth.

should know the stats are incidental and a small part of the experience.

Nope, stats are fairly important in the games I play in. If I had to say what was most part of the experience, I'd say probably more actions than stats or role-playing- not that either one is the important part, just the result of smashing them together is what they play for. That's just my group, and only my perception of it at that.

When I said that stats are important to role-playing, I mean they provide an outline for a character. They can be used to get someplace to start with a character, and that can make building a character off of that easier. They aren't necessary, but not even Role-playing is necessary; most games find a balance between those extremes. And if you debate that, I'm gonna stick with the Dungeon Master's Guide's view of how the game should work over yours.

Isn't there a pretty big debate in the D & D community about roleplaying vs. stats? Or am I remembering something different? Looks like you on Cody are on the opposite sides of the question.

I also like your appeal to authority at the end - which is to say I don't. ;)

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:46 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Appeal to authority? Yes, that was fallacious, but it was true. If you want me to elaborate on it, to show you why the writers know what they are talking about, I could. But I'm not going to because I'd just wind up relaying an entire chapter, and I really shouldn't have to be defending my position so.

Isn't there a pretty big debate in the D & D community about roleplaying vs. stats? Or am I remembering something different? Looks like you on Cody are on the opposite sides of the question.

Yes, there is. I'm not arguing stats are better, though:

All of those could probably make for great fun, but so can stat-heavy D&D, even if people don't bother with character personalities. To each their own, Cody.

Nope, stats are fairly important in the games I play in.

That's just my group, and only my perception of it at that.

My point, apparently poorly communicated last time, is that there is a spectrum of ways to play, and that any place on that spectrum is fine. Had I said "stats are more important" or "stats are necessary" I would be making an argument just as dumb as Cody's. This is fun we're talking about; everyone will have a different concept of it. I just really hate when people assert one opinion in a subjective argument is objectively correct or a fact.

by car15, Monday, June 10, 2013, 23:33 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The idea of having a shared world, AND the player becoming a legend is incompatible. Bungie describes Destiny as a shared world shooter, and also tells us our mission as a guardian is important and we can become legend.

So let's say the world is shared. You go through the wall, and find someone else has already take out all the enemies and gotten the loot. Drat, nothing to do! In fact, while you weren't playing someone went and did it all, and now they are the hero. And so in games like this, most people inevitably do NOT play a hero. They play the peon. Look at EVE or the old star wars galaxies. Most people in EVE just mine shit and work for a corporation; very few people get to be big players (heroes). Same in Star Wars galaxies. Most people made livings doing boring things, and becoming a jedi was outrageously hard that few people managed.

I think Destiny will work in a manner similar to SWTOR, in the sense that the game will be divided into the "public canon" and the "player canon." Certain events (like the public event we saw at E3) will be shared experiences that happen to all Destiny players. Other events, probably the main story events, will be more akin to traditional campaign missions and each player will experience these missions separately within their own personal canons. Hopefully there will be some choice involved a la Mass Effect so that players have a direct impact on the direction of the story. Either way, because each player will be able to complete the main story events separately in their own separate private canons, each player will in fact be a hero... just of their particular canon.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:17 (3975 days ago) @ car15

I think Destiny will work in a manner similar to SWTOR, in the sense that the game will be divided into the "public canon" and the "player canon." Certain events (like the public event we saw at E3) will be shared experiences that happen to all Destiny players. Other events, probably the main story events, will be more akin to traditional campaign missions and each player will experience these missions separately within their own personal canons. Hopefully there will be some choice involved a la Mass Effect so that players have a direct impact on the direction of the story. Either way, because each player will be able to complete the main story events separately in their own separate private canons, each player will in fact be a hero... just of their particular canon.

So the world isn't a shared world, just a semi-shared one…

by car15, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:45 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yeah.

I mean, based on the way Bungie has talked about the game and emphasized that everyone can be a hero, that's been my impression of the game for a while now.

And that's not a bad thing.

Bigotry, armchair speculation and prejudice

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 00:33 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The standard for these sorts of shared worlds are MMOs like WOW, but isn't it Ironic that WoW has a reputation for breeding anti social dweebs who live in their parent's basement? Why is it that this is the conception of hardcore wow players? If the game were so social, wouldn't the hardcore players be suave, charismatic, organized, well versed in reading humans, etc? Of course not, because WoW is not a social game.

Isn't it ironic that you see fit to comment on a game that you don't play, and base your analysis of the people that do on an intentionally trolling caricature from a comedy program made nearly 7 years ago. Your actual knowledge and understanding of the social scene surrounding WoW and its communities is clearly nil. Not that I think that's an excuse for what you wrote, which is bigotry, plain and simple.

I don't know if they plan to do this, but I don't see how they couldn't [...]

...and that is why you fail.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:15 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

Isn't it ironic that you see fit to comment on a game that you don't play, and base your analysis of the people that do on an intentionally trolling caricature from a comedy program made nearly 7 years ago. Your actual knowledge and understanding of the social scene surrounding WoW and its communities is clearly nil. Not that I think that's an excuse for what you wrote, which is bigotry, plain and simple.

Did you even read what I wrote? I said that THAT'S THE POPULAR CONCEPTION. And that's a true statement. I know for a fact that not all WoW players are like this, but my question remains: why is THAT the general population's conception, and not one of the suave social gentleman or charismatic leader? That perception couldn't have anything to do with the game, could it?

Do we look at the titans of teams sports the same way, even though their dedication to the game is surely just as strong? No? Why do you think that is? Maybe because sports are social and WoW is not?

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:50 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Did you even read what I wrote? I said that THAT'S THE POPULAR CONCEPTION. And that's a true statement.

No; you wrote that it has a reputation for that, but you can't hide behind some hand-waving and just imply that it's somebody else's view when you use such emotive language as ‘anti social dweebs’. It's obvious to everyone that's reading that you hold this view yourself.

I know for a fact that not all WoW players are like this, but my question remains: why is THAT the general population's conception, and not one of the suave social gentleman or charismatic leader? That perception couldn't have anything to do with the game, could it?

There are lots of negative stereotypes associated with gamers in general. But if you're going to accept all such stereotypes at face value then you have a very small-minded worldview indeed (and one wonders what other prejudices you'll readily accept). Regardless, your perception is not grounded in experience and so the shoe fits: this is just bigotry.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:57 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:01

There are lots of negative stereotypes associated with gamers in general. But if you're going to accept all such stereotypes at face value then you have a very small-minded worldview indeed (and one wonders what other prejudices you'll readily accept). Regardless, your perception is not grounded in experience and so the shoe fits: this is just bigotry.

Maybe my best friend in college was a huge MMO player, both FFXI and World of Warcraft. Maybe he somehow managed to be 'hardcore' but at the same time socialize and have the reputation as being the best dressed in his program, have lots of male and female friends, and generally be a pretty sweet dude. Maybe I talked to him about it, and even watched him play if not take over and play myself for a few moments.

Maybe my first roommate dropped out because he played so much WoW, but that was okay because he was rich and just went somewhere else.

Maybe you have no idea what my views are, or that I have seen both ends of the spectrum.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:15 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Maybe my best friend in college was a huge MMO player, both FFXI and World of Warcraft. Maybe he somehow managed to be 'hardcore' but at the same time socialize and have the reputation as being the best dressed in his program, have lots of male and female friends, and generally be a pretty sweet dude.

Maybe you have no idea what my views are, or that I have seen both ends of the spectrum.

Sample size = 1

[image]

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:22 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

Check my post. It's over two, actually. I don't know the sheer number, cause I can't remember how many people I've spoken with.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:27 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Check my post. It's over two, actually. I don't know the sheer number, cause I can't remember how many people I've spoken with.

I played WoW for about 4 years with friends before eventually giving it up a couple of years ago. Some of these friends I knew before I played WoW, others I befriended in the time I played the game. Some of the people I encountered were idiots. Some were offensive. Some were astonishingly erudite and thoughtful. Some were shy. Others were always keen to meet up with their in-game buddies for a drink whenever they could. But one thing I would never want to do is draw conclusions about the general gameplaying populace based on my experience, because (shocker, this) WoW's population is both vast (twelve million people at peak) and diverse.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:31 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

I played WoW for about 4 years with friends before eventually giving it up a couple of years ago. Some of these friends I knew before I played WoW, others I befriended in the time I played the game. Some of the people I encountered were idiots. Some were offensive. Some were astonishingly erudite and thoughtful. Some were shy. Others were always keen to meet up with their in-game buddies for a drink whenever they could. But one thing I would never want to do is draw conclusions about the general gameplaying populace based on my experience, because (shocker, this) WoW's population is both vast (twelve million people at peak) and diverse.

This is all true. It is also true that many non-gamers do judge the general gaming populace, at least to a certain degree, based on ther limited experience, which often has a lot to do with their perception of WoW.

Or, to put it another way, lots of non-gamers saw that South Park episode and think they have it all figured out. I don't like it either! :)

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:35 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Or, to put it another way, lots of non-gamers saw that South Park episode and think they have it all figured out. I don't like it either! :)

But to take the stuff they show in an episode of South Park at face value it more or less to wear ignorance as your shield; they evenly take aim at different groups and make the most offensive joke they can about that group. It's their schtick. You can't cite it as evidence of anything, unless you also want to take their most offensive racist and heretical jokes at face value too, and boy, you'd not be making serious scholarly arguments based on that crap…

non-gamerz are dying of old age

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:15 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

They are already getting thin on the ground. In time they will be an oppressed minority and we won't have clueless TV debates about the dangers of gaming, the rampant sex in Mass Effect, etc.

About 6 years ago my mates would tease me in the pub that I was a sad gamer who played that Halo thing. Now they are all, Facebook, flash based game warriors.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:33 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

Some of the people I encountered were idiots. Some were offensive. Some were astonishingly erudite and thoughtful. Some were shy.

Hmm... that sounds a lot like Halo multiplayer, haha. I think the truth is, games are social as you want them to be. If you want to play with you friends you can, if you want to play by yourself you can. It's nice they add more ways to be social, but it's up to players to use them or not. Adding online did not make games less social, I still play Halo pretty regularly with my friends both online and in person. And because online is an option I get to play with them MORE often since some of them live hours (if not days) away.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:44 (3974 days ago) @ Xenos

I think the truth is, games are social as you want them to be.

This. I think of a lot of games as merely frameworks for play that can be social or not, depending on your inclination. FPS games are like this, as are MMOs and games like Diablo III. It's what you bring that makes them social or otherwise, not the game itself.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:15 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

It's obvious to everyone that's reading that you hold this view yourself.

No, it isn't. And no, he doesn't. I understood this before his clarifications. I also agree that is the popular conception of a WoW player. Hell, this is the conversation I have every single time I mention I'm a gamer to a non-gamer.

Phisto: 'Yeah, I'm a gamer.'

Person: 'Oh, so like do you play World of Warcraft or whatever?'

Phisto: 'No, I play stuff like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Civ, and a bunch of shooters.'

Person: *strange, confused look, as if I am speaking another language*

I'm not sure you understand how the wider world generally sees gamers.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:23 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

No, it isn't. And no, he doesn't. I understood this before his clarifications. I also agree that is the popular conception of a WoW player. Hell, this is the conversation I have every single time I mention I'm a gamer to a non-gamer.

So wait, you're saying that he doesn't hold this view, but you then go on to say that you believe most people do hold this view? I'm not sure what you're trying to argue, exactly. I'm perfectly aware of negative stereotypes surrounding gamers in general and WoW players in particular, but that has nothing to do with the way that Cody just took a verbal dump over them.

Maybe he doesn't hold that view, but the way he put himself across was fairly rhetorical from the perspective of somebody who agrees with the prejudice.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:27 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

I don't think Cody is personally prejudiced against WoW players, and there wasn't anything in his original post that suggested it to me. I was also annoyed at you declaring it was obvious to everyone, since I'm included in that.

Usually it goes more like this for me:

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:52 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

It's obvious to everyone that's reading that you hold this view yourself.

Phisto: 'Yeah, I'm a gamer.'

Person: 'Oh, so like do you play World of Warcraft or whatever?'

Phisto: 'No, I play stuff like Mass Effect, Skyrim, Civ, and a bunch of shooters.'

Person: *strange, confused look, as if I am speaking another language*

Levi: "Uh... I play games, yes. If I'm a 'gamer', then I'm also a 'reader', and a 'movie-er'".

Person: 'Uuuhh, sure ... so like do you play Halo or whatever?

Levi: "Yes..."

Person: "Cool."

Levi: "... Yep."

(I've found that both the stereotypes of 'gamers' and 'non-gamers', as well as stereotypes of all kids, tend to be completely meaningless and inaccurate in the course of one person's life. In fact, most importantly, there's not just those two kids of people, with an 'on' or an 'off' switch - there's an entire spectrum of varying interest in video games.)

(And if you couldn't tell, I hate the word 'gamers. It's stupid in a thousand different ways.)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:54 (3975 days ago) @ Leviathan

(And if you couldn't tell, I hate the word 'gamers. It's stupid in a thousand different ways.)

Love me, Levi, love me in the way only you can.

My word. That escalated quickly.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:13 (3975 days ago) @ Leviathan

I always assumed player was going to become the cultural label, but that was reserved for the promiscuous and maybe sports, always thought that was athlete too.

I've never heard a game say gamer one and gamer two.

by BOLL ⌂ @, Sweden, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:12 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, WoW was anti-social most of the time, except the occasional meetups. And yes, I also see couch multiplayer as the social gaming :P That's why that's almost the only gaming I do nowadays, and it happens very seldom.

Oh, and yes, that is how RPGs work. To keep you from jumping the content wall, you get to grind. Nothing new there, and nothing unexpected. Even the original Zelda worked like this, get more hearts if it is too hard, find more gear to get to new places.

I'm pretty sure it is sensible to have the access to the world progressing this way, it will make it feel like just that, like you are making progress. Perhaps not in player skill, but that is not RPG that is real world physical skills, but your avatar progresses by gaining levels and gear. Pretty much how RPGs have always worked, no?

So basically you're annoyed it's no longer only a skill-based twitch-shooter but an RPG? I'm not sure if this is news :D And sorry if I'm talking out of my ass, I fell asleep before the gameplay reveal and I'm waiting for the video to come online, heh! :x

by Jillybean, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 01:18 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Leaving aside some of your more . . . Cody-like comments . . .

I think this is an interesting point, and one that got to me when we were watching the trailer and the Guardian met the pale-faced-man in the Wilds.

Is this guy just sitting in his bunker waiting for every player to come past? What happens if two people come past at once? This reminds me of when my sis and I would play co-op in Halo and run to trigger the cutscene so it would be 'our' Chief who was getting the canon plot points. Sure, it was just a silly little minigame we made up, but it comes from exactly this issue. Who is moving the story forward?

We have so precious few ways of moving our own stories forward in life that I think it's an important component of gaming fantasy.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 03:36 (3975 days ago) @ Jillybean

Is this guy just sitting in his bunker waiting for every player to come past? What happens if two people come past at once? This reminds me of when my sis and I would play co-op in Halo and run to trigger the cutscene so it would be 'our' Chief who was getting the canon plot points.

From a technical standpoint this has already been solved some time ago in MMOs through instancing (and what is called, in WoW-parlance ‘phasing’); each player is only seeing their version of events; sometimes the game will hide the other nearby players for the duration of an event, or maybe they'll be visible too, but in their game they'll be seeing their own instance of the event. I'd expect Bungie to be doing something similar.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:11 (3975 days ago) @ kapowaz

To add, Destinies apporach to Instancing seems kind of unique. Especially in how, the game can join fireteams instances together.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:36 (3975 days ago) @ electricpirate

To add, Destinies apporach to Instancing seems kind of unique. Especially in how, the game can join fireteams instances together.

I believe they've added something like this to World of Warcraft in the most recent expansion, actually, to keep low-population zones from feeling ‘empty’ (which I have to imagine Bungie will want to do too, given their previous comments about ‘incidental multiplayer’).

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 05:39 (3975 days ago) @ Jillybean

Even in Rapture, someone has got to scrub the toliets.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:52 (3974 days ago) @ Jillybean

Leaving aside some of your more . . . Cody-like comments . . .

I think this is an interesting point, and one that got to me when we were watching the trailer and the Guardian met the pale-faced-man in the Wilds.

Is this guy just sitting in his bunker waiting for every player to come past? What happens if two people come past at once? This reminds me of when my sis and I would play co-op in Halo and run to trigger the cutscene so it would be 'our' Chief who was getting the canon plot points. Sure, it was just a silly little minigame we made up, but it comes from exactly this issue. Who is moving the story forward?

We have so precious few ways of moving our own stories forward in life that I think it's an important component of gaming fantasy.

I'm guessing those portions of the game take place in a private space, so those cutscenes will feature only you and your party, not any randoms who happen to be in the same area.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:29 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ehhh, I'll trust what I saw over your idle speculation and confirmation bias.

What I saw was a skill based shooter, with lots of movement options, some special powers, and some cool guns. I saw one single upgrade system, in which you invested resources into a single gun.

While that system looked like a linear power gain, the idea of upgrading a single weapon presents interesting opportunities. Do I stay with the gun I've invested, or do I jump to something more powerful? How limited are talent points, weapon upgrade kits and glimmer? Upgrade systems are great, as long as they incorporate choice and consequence, and a per weapon upgrade system can easily accomplish both of those, even if each weapon has a linear progression. FWIW, we also saw some player levels, but we don't know how that stuff works yet.

Nothing in the content jumped out as grind gated to me; the arenas were designed so you could manuever, you had slides, and double jumps to avoid fire, only a few attacks were hitscan. As long as you can avoid damage, and deal damage player skill can trump stats. I'm looking forward to seeing the exact balance of these things, as hopefully it hews closer to something like Dark Souls, where Soul Level 1 video series are a thing.

As for the social stuff, it's too early to see. I mean, people can be part of things and feel awesome about that, even if you can't all be the Scarab Lord. We also know Destiny has some kind of factional warfare, so we'll see how that works too.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:25 (3975 days ago) @ electricpirate

Nothing in the content jumped out as grind gated to me; the arenas were designed so you could manuever, you had slides, and double jumps to avoid fire, only a few attacks were hitscan. As long as you can avoid damage, and deal damage player skill can trump stats. I'm looking forward to seeing the exact balance of these things, as hopefully it hews closer to something like Dark Souls, where Soul Level 1 video series are a thing.

Since a few have pointed out comparisons to Borderlands, I'd like to point out that in Borderlands it's impossible to not take damage, and in fact, it's built into the gameplay. Some classes even have skills built around getting your face murdered.

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:32 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Since a few have pointed out comparisons to Borderlands, I'd like to point out that in Borderlands it's impossible to not take damage, and in fact, it's built into the gameplay. Some classes even have skills built around getting your face murdered.

Yea, good point. That's one of my big annoyances with borderlands, and something that Halo gets right. In fact, Halo's one of the few modern shooters where you actually have some ability to avoid fire, so I'm really glad to see Destiny keeping that part of Halo. It's one of those, "Small design, huge change" kind of thing.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:42 (3975 days ago) @ electricpirate

Yea, good point. That's one of my big annoyances with borderlands, and something that Halo gets right. In fact, Halo's one of the few modern shooters where you actually have some ability to avoid fire, so I'm really glad to see Destiny keeping that part of Halo. It's one of those, "Small design, huge change" kind of thing.

There's a lot of luck and gear involved in getting it right. (the next part of my post is for people who obviously haven't played Borderlands) I've played Commando the most, and his Surivial skill tree has something called Grit. Maxed out without a mod, you ignore death dealing damage 20% of the time and regain half your health. Then, if you have a high level version of a shield called 'The Sham' you can absorb bullets up to 94% of the time.

I mean, sure, I had to play a ton to get there (and it was fun the entire way), but goddamn if I don't feel like Thor's big brother when Grit pops four or five times in a row while I'm blasting every fool within 100 miles via rocket propelled fire death.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:40 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Since a few have pointed out comparisons to Borderlands, I'd like to point out that in Borderlands it's impossible to not take damage, and in fact, it's built into the gameplay.

Not true.

But I know what you mean and I agree.

Some classes even have skills built around getting your face murdered.

Heh, love that guy.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:47 (3975 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not true.

But I know what you mean and I agree.

Lol. You must be a Zer0 sniper player.

Some classes even have skills built around getting your face murdered.

Heh, love that guy.

My favorite thing ever: put a guy in phaselock while Psycho is in Light the Fuse, have the him run under the bad guy, and profit.

HAIL LORD KRIEG. YOUR SACRIFICE AWAITS.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:12 (3975 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Lol. You must be a Zer0 sniper player.

Used to run a Mordecai, so yeah. Now I'm a Commando not very unlike yours. Double twin rocket shielded slagging Sabres FTW.

Also, Halo + useless co-op partners taught me how to dodge stuff pretty neatly.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 13:12 (3975 days ago) @ ZackDark

Ah, that's right, we had this conversation once.

You're basically Thane to my Grunt. LOL.

by Miguel Chavez, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 07:50 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It's just a game.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:05 (3975 days ago) @ Miguel Chavez

It's just a game.

Sounds like your portion of the podcast will be pretty short…

Honestly, now that I've seen the game in action...

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:16 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

... I really don't care. :)

You're criticizing Destiny's solution to problems that you don't even know it has in the first place.

I just don't see the fun in wasting all the time till a game's release wanting to dislike it and picking it apart with a negative microscope. With such an approach, when the game does come out it doesn't just have to be good, it has to work extra hard to fight back all these month of jaded-ly waiting for it to be bad! It's just a spiral of cynicism.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:42 (3975 days ago) @ Leviathan

You're criticizing Destiny's solution to problems that you don't even know it has in the first place.

I just don't see the fun in wasting all the time till a game's release wanting to dislike it and picking it apart with a negative microscope. With such an approach, when the game does come out it doesn't just have to be good, it has to work extra hard to fight back all these month of jaded-ly waiting for it to be bad! It's just a spiral of cynicism.

I don't think you realize how badly I WANT to like this, given my lifelong Bungie fandom.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:47 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think you realize how badly I WANT to like this, given my lifelong Bungie fandom.

I'm in a similar boat. With Halo fading away, I got nothing much left in modern games. So just sit back and smoke a cigar. You can tear the game apart once it hits. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:15 (3974 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm in a similar boat. With Halo fading away, I got nothing much left in modern games. So just sit back and smoke a cigar. You can tear the game apart once it hits. :)

There's still good stuff in modern gaming. You just need to search a little. Tell me what genres you like and I can recommend stuff.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 22:51 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

There's still good stuff in modern gaming. You just need to search a little. Tell me what genres you like and I can recommend stuff.

'Modern' was probably too big of a term, I guess I just haven't been wowed by anything in the last year and a half or so.

I'm open to any genre that can give me an immersive world or backstory, exploration, and a feeling of real motivation in my blood. For example, I always loved Halo the best when the sandbox design + story + music synced up and gave me the inspiration and freedom to tell my own story in the midst of battle. But I've also found those elements in RTSs and other genres before.

I'd also like a game that doesn't treat me like its the first game I've ever played. I get very turned off in the first 20-30 minutes of so many games I try lately from crappy tutorials. Also not much of a twitch-gamer. I always enjoyed watching my friend play Devil May Cry but I could never play it long (except on easy mode).

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:48 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I think you want to like it in a certain way; or, rather you would like it to fit neatly into a preconceived notion you have, formed by specific elements of your experiences with previous Bungie games, of something that you would like, and are concerned that Bungie are not making that.

by scarab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:10 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Do you think that Bungie will make it impossible to progress without upgrades. Literally impossible as opposed to extremely difficult. Do you think that they would have an if statement that looks at your upgradedness and won't let you prevail no matter what you did?

If not then not upgrading would be like SLASO on steroids.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:48 (3975 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm not getting into the mechanics of game types and so on, but here's a few general thoughts.

I've been the peon in the great majority of the multiplayer games I've played, and I've still had fun. Occasionally, I've done something cool that saved the day, and that's been memorable (maybe even legendary)--maybe more so than if it weren't so surprising.

I'm already a legend according to Bungie. I've beaten their games on legendary. Regarding becoming a legend, I think you're reading rhetoric as if it's a spec.

I want to mention the fun part again, because it's important. Some would say the most important. Some like me.

What you describe does not sound like fun, yet if there's one thing I trust Bungie to do, it's to create a game that is fun. That's why, to me, your criticisms seem a little premature.

That's not to say that I don't have questions about how the sharing will be handled in a way that allows everyone to have a degree of fun. I do. We shall see.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:44 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by narcogen, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 23:51

This is obviously a big design challenge. Most games solve it by sacrificing the context to the play. Raid content respawns on schedule, and people get to be the legend over and over again. Everybody in Azeroth gets a chance to kill the big bad bosses as many time as they want.

So let's say the world is shared. You go through the wall, and find someone else has already take out all the enemies and gotten the loot. Drat, nothing to do! In fact, while you weren't playing someone went and did it all, and now they are the hero.

Did you watch the interviews Staten did over the demo? It doesn't look like this can happen. From what he said and what I've seen, what's going on when players enter a public area is that some matchmaking logic spawns an instance, and when the event starts, available players that get matched get thrown into the instance. Everyone who plays that event will be in it at the start; that's the drop-in point. I don't think they'll let people walk in on the end of someone else's public event instance.

I think when Bungie says "public space" w/r/t events they are talking about "a space in which you may meet anyone" not "a space in which you will meet everyone". The former is "shared world", the latter is "massively multiplayer" which Bungie has disavowed at nearly every turn.

If you think about it, what's really going on here is that traditional party coop play through private spaces is substituting for things like the matchmaking lobby, and a public event is like a firefight matchmaking session.

And so in games like this, most people inevitably do NOT play a hero. They play the peon. Look at EVE or the old star wars galaxies. Most people in EVE just mine shit and work for a corporation; very few people get to be big players (heroes). Same in Star Wars galaxies. Most people made livings doing boring things, and becoming a jedi was outrageously hard that few people managed.

Those are all MMOs that either have a single server or shards where thousands of players are co-present in many if not all spaces (excepting raid instances). Public events I think are going to be instanced.

But who the fuck wants to play the peon? We want to be heroes! Okay, so the world isn't completely shared. It looks like Destiny will feature instances, as well as 'public events' (having this appear on screen breaks the immersion pretty hard by the way Bungie). So, everybody can do the event / quests / whatever. But if that's the case, and everyone can be the hero, then really nobody is a hero. Legend implies someone exceptional, but if everybody else is doing the same stuff you are, then nobody is really legendary is it? Oh you killed that huge monster? Congrats, so did everybody else.

Doesn't seem to affect WoW much, if at all, although I have the same problem with the concept. In Eve it works better, because the player is a capsuleer. Your ships have ordinary crew, and the universe is populated with plenty of ordinary people you never see. All the players are exceptional within the game's universe, not within the game. Just as the Master Chief is exceptional among human forces because he's a Spartan, just as the players in Destiny are exceptional among the human race by virtue of being Guardians chosen by the Traveler.

So you either have the shared world, and make people play peons, or you let everybody do the content, in which case nobody's really legendary. Sounds like someone thought this through well!

Stats are another thing that bug me. You can increase your Stats in destiny, level up your guns, and your numbers. I'm sure your luck stat increases your chance of a critical hit - nevermind that critical hits are stupid in a game based on your skill at shooting. Anyway, RPGs made numbers go up for two reasons. The first, is that back in the day that's all games could really do. They certainly couldn't replace the DM. They still can't - AI will never be good enough. But numbers computers could simulate. So, RPGs became about numbers.

CRPGS came from tabletop RPGs and were always about numbers.

But god dammit Bungie, the first person shooter isn't a shitty genre like JRPGs.

You not liking an entire genre doesn't make it shitty. Also, JRPGs are turn-based, not realtime. Was Mass Effect shitty?

You can't master the FPS in 30 minutes! The demands on the player are much more varied, and much more deep. YOU DON'T NEED NUMBERS. Leveling up weapons can be done right (vanquish), but that's because it's a stretegic decision with no right or wrong answer, and because the upgrades are fixed, and because the single player progression is linear. None of that is true for destiny.

You don't know that, actually. You don't know for a fact either of the sides of the speculation you're making. I'm not even sure Bungie yet has decided on quite a few things-- Staten was mum about what the numbers actually represent.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 08:39 (3974 days ago) @ narcogen

You not liking an entire genre doesn't make it shitty.

…dude this has nothing to do with whether I like JRPGs or not. It has to do with the genre itself being limiting in the game's possibility space. It's a bad genre, sorry.

Also, JRPGs are turn-based, not realtime. Was Mass Effect shitty?

I have been playing Mass Effect recently, and while the role playing is run, it's really frustrating since the combat is so bad. It's doubly frustrating because games like Gears of War and Vanquish have already solved nearly all of Mass Effect's problems, but it doesn't incorporate those simple solutions.

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 09:52 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

…dude this has nothing to do with whether I like JRPGs or not. It has to do with the genre itself being limiting in the game's possibility space. It's a bad genre, sorry.

Maybe thus far for you, but I know one studio that's pretty good at redefining a genre... ;)

I have been playing Mass Effect recently, and while the role playing is run, it's really frustrating since the combat is so bad. It's doubly frustrating because games like Gears of War and Vanquish have already solved nearly all of Mass Effect's problems, but it doesn't incorporate those simple solutions.

What class are you playing as? I've had some bad luck with Mass Effect games and I think I've picked classes that lead to really simple, boring combat. But I've gone back and been pleasantly surprised by a lot of nuances in other classes at times.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 11:18 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Which one? That makes a huge different in the quality of the combat.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 11:39 (3974 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I want to know what you recommend. I loved Mass Effect, but I had similar issues as Cory, especially in the first game. They got better.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:03 (3974 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:15

I want to know what you recommend. I loved Mass Effect, but I had similar issues as Cory, especially in the first game. They got better.

In the first game, it's just rough. I would go Adept, take Assault Rifle training as your bonus, move the difficulty down from normal if you want, and then bring Wrex and Liara everywhere. Let squadmates use their powers on their own. At least then, you get the hilarity from the overpowered biotics, along with Wrex's absurd tanking and shotgun blasts.

The second game is a massive improvement. Vanguard is my all-time favorite, because of the skill you need to really pull of biotic charge (Cody, reload and melee cancels, and best for speed running). Soldier is fun, because bullet time. Adept is also fun, because you can use combos with warp. Never really played the other classes much, but everyone likes them in different ways. Look around, and you can find a lot of people that adore them (even Engineer!). The guns also get a lot more varied, and you get some real winners like the Widow sniper rifle (great on a Soldier or Infiltrator).

Mass Effect 3 is hands down the best of the bunch. Of course, Vanguard for me, because it went from super-awesome to God Of Death and Sorrow. Biotic charge plus Nova is tough but rewarding, as you really have to go balls to the wall skillful if you want to make a super-aggressive playstyle work. The rest of the classes are fun too, because Bioware basically improved on what they did in ME2 as far as movement (dodging, unlimited sprint, grabbing dudes over cover) and fighting options (melee, more guns, mods, grenades for everyone but Vanguard). There's lots more guns to choose from, and they feel pretty good and offer a variety of strategies. The amount of guns you carry affects your power cooldown too, so you gotta make some choices.

tl;dr - Remember how old ME1 is, and enjoy watching the game evolve.

EDIT: Kerm, you probably know a lot of this, but I tried to write it as KISS as possible for others who might be wondering about the other games.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 11:56 (3974 days ago) @ narcogen

CRPGS came from tabletop RPGs and were always about numbers.

Thank you.

by RC ⌂, UK, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 12:59 (3974 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You seem to be dead set against most RPGs in general, so I'm not sure how many you've actually played.

In some of them, it isn't as simple as just 'grinding past' a given set of enemies since the enemies can universally scale with you. The leveling mechanics are a way to pace out extra abilities and customisation for a range of reasons. In fact Joe Staten pretty much says this is what they're doing. Aiming down range comes first: leveling second.

Absolutely though, the interaction over a game though the box over the internet is less social than sitting on the same couch or the same room.

However, I think Bungie is approaching it from the opposite direction: rather than assuming the default to be a golden age of LAN parties and split-screen, they're accepting the current default and trying to bring more socialisation to it.

So they've done away with the split between 'campaign' and 'multiplayer.' A player doesn't have to make the choice to try to find players through a menu option or through switching game mode. It just happens, whether they want it or not. Just an automatic presence of other people in the world around you. You can ignore them or you can tag along and experience something together.

The player is a Guardian - and they're all special in the world of Destiny to the AI population whether they're amazing ones or lame ones because they do the things the AI characters generally don't do. It's a fantasy. The players aren't the entire population of the universe: they are just the Jedi order.

Gonna run out of content? Purely original areas and quests, sure. But it isn't just about consuming the content and then tossing it aside. If they nail the combat, killin' aliens in an only slightly variated way will still be fun any day of the week. Obviously, like Halo they don't even EXPECT everyone to stick around after the 'main quest' or whatever is done.

And there is always PvP.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 14:35 (3973 days ago) @ RC

You seem to be dead set against most RPGs in general, so I'm not sure how many you've actually played.

A lot, and RPGs are great. I'm talking about JRPGs, ARPGs and the like not being very complex. Obviously if Destiny is going to be like Deus Ex, then it would be so sick.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread