Star Wars Battlefront Beta is available (Gaming)

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 16:00 (3133 days ago)

You can download it on PS or Xbox for free. PS4 version is 7.4 Gigs, but you can start it early from the PS store!

I am personally excited for this, as a huge star wars fan. I dont think the gameplay will be top notch, but I do think that it will be fun to play, based on it being a new star wars game.

Yep!

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 16:10 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Sitting at around 40%. I can't wait!

I loved the old Battlefronts (and I know nostalgia is responsible for most of how great I think they were), but I'm still excited. Everything I've seen looks like it'll be a fun game.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta is available

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 16:13 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I am personally excited for this, as a huge star wars fan. I dont think the gameplay will be top notch, but I do think that it will be fun to play, based on it being a new star wars game.

As a huge Star Wars fan and a big Battlefield fan, I'm rather excited to try this out. I think it's gonna hit a real sweet spot for me!

by peaksutah, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 16:51 (3133 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:14 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Use 3rd person, don't aim down sights. ADS provides no accuracy benefit, apparently, so all it does is slow you down.

Also, I can't seem to connect to a multiplayer match. The Survival mission is fun, though, even if it's not challenging.

Played it yesterday.Total Blast!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:19 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Also... Dem Graphics (Dat GI). On a console. Dam.
[image]

Review: Turned Corner. Vader. Ran Way. Force Choked. 10/10

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:26 (3133 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:34 (3133 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Also... Dem Graphics (Dat GI). On a console. Dam.
[image]

The graphics don't look that good... but maybe it's the gif?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:40 (3133 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Definitely the gif. The graphics are pretty great. The snow looks incredible.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 17:49 (3133 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Gonna have to check it out for sure! But I'm still looking forward to Fallout 4 :)

Just hit Rank 5.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 19:05 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I only played the AT-AT attack mode on Hoth. It won't let me connect to the other mode for some reason.

Holy shit, this game is awesome. It really is as good as the old Battlefronts are in my mind. It's insanely fun. I'm not even that great, but it's not frustrating when you die/lose. I've seen a lot of comments around the web that say it's nearly impossible to win as the Rebels. Hasn't been my experience at all. I'd say my win percentage is pretty evenly split between to the two sides.

Blasting fools in an X-wing or A-wing or TIE Fighter is so much fun. I only got to run as Vader once, and died almost immediately because I was too busy trying to figure out what the attacks were and how to block with the Lightsaber and such. Seems fun, though.

It is extremely odd getting used to not reloading!

Overall, it's really fun. It's absolutely turned into a must buy for me.

As someone who championed DICE doing Battlefront years ago..

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 20:38 (3133 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You can download it on PS or Xbox for free. PS4 version is 7.4 Gigs, but you can start it early from the PS store!

I find it rather "meh".
It's more or less what gameplay made it look like, for better or worse. The downside is that what I've played so far is pretty bland.

I'm not quite Rank 5, but played Survival, Drop Zone, and Walker Assault. Of the three, WA is by far the best, but even that feels kind of like Rush Lite. Infantry combat is 90% of the game so far, which is kind of a bummer, because DICE has always specialized in combining Infantry with vehicles, and right now vehicles exist just to get blown up.

Movement is floaty, which is kind of nice, but you end up bouncing off of terrain that you should be able to get over.

I try not to compare it to Battlefield, but the truth is that I would have loved a reskinned Battlefield, with destructible environments and large scale battles that revolve around vehicle movement and map control.
So far it's just "push up, push button, hold enemy at their spawn", with little variation. Vehicles are either slow and pointless (unless you're firing the AT-AT), or extremely difficult to control (Xwing). Either way, they get dropped in seconds, and that sucks...

When the game gets going, though, there are indeed "moments" that live up to what I wanted, but they aren't constant, and that's a bummer.

I completely disagree . . .

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 08, 2015, 21:44 (3133 days ago) @ Korny

You are right about bouncing off terrain you should be able to jump over. It's difficult just to jump out of the trenches in the level sometimes.

I was vehemently opposed to it being just a reskinned Battlefield. If I wanted to play Battlefield, I'd play Battlefield. Don't get me wrong, I love Battlefield, but I don't need another iteration of it.

I think it feels perfect. I love that ADS doesn't increase accuracy of the gun. I love that I can run around in third person and just blow fools up. I love that you can mix and match gear, rather than being confined to a class. If you play with a partner, you can both choose different laodouts and be covered for a lot of situations.

I strongly disagree about vehicles, too. I think the balance is damn near perfect. They're not the destruction machines that plague BF4 (or did when I played it regularly more than a year ago), but they are deadly. The X-wing probably is the most difficult to control flying vehicle, but it's powerful. The TIE fighters are agile and so much fun.

I've seen a lot of folks complaining about it being unbalanced, and way to hard for the Rebel side. While it is a lot harder to win as the Rebels (and may need some adjustments, somehow), it's not as difficult as everyone is saying. It's just that as the Empire, all you have to do to win is kill things. As the Rebels, your team really has to prioritize the objectives, which doesn't always happen unfortunately. If they do, though, it's not a hard battle to win.

I feel the same way

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 09, 2015, 09:50 (3132 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I played for about 2 hours total so far, and I love it. It brings back the nostalgia of playing the original Battlefronts. The original Battlefronts were simple and fun, and this one held true to that. I really love how they did the sniping, at least in the BETA. You have 1 shot then a cooldown until it recharges. There was nothing worse in Battlefield than joining a game of REALLY good snipers with a team of Randos, and just getting constantly sniped. Grenades recharging is awesome, but not overpowered.

The jumping mechanics are a little broke, getting stuck in the puddles/trenches is terrible. The jetpack helps with this, and in a very fun way.

But back to the point, I like how they did this. The last Battlefield I got was Hardline, and was COMPLETELY let down. The story was good (you had unlimited handcuffs), but the multiplayer was crap compared to BF4. I like how First Person provides no benefit, except for immersive purposes. I would like to have a game mode that requires FP as otherwise is gives no benefit. Alot of people were complaining about this, but again, it sticks to the original battlefront gameplay, which was 3rd person. They just added FP as a bonus, at least thats how I look at it.

I can't wait for this game to come out, and see what all it has to offer.

I feel the same way

by marmot 1333 @, Friday, October 09, 2015, 15:39 (3132 days ago) @ TheeChaos

The story was good (you had unlimited handcuffs)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

hahahahaha

by TheeChaos @, Friday, October 09, 2015, 18:04 (3132 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread