So I am super excited now.

by Beckx, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:12 (3971 days ago)

I loved the gameplay reveal. Would write more about that, but too pressed for time to write anything coherent.

So do we know much about the solo-capabilities of each class? Due to my odd gaming hours and such I tend to pick solo-capable classes so that I can drop in, have some fun, and not worry about whether a group is available (Mages in EQ, Warlocks in WoW). Do we know anything about this yet?

Kudos to everyone at Bungie. It was the best live demo of the show, by far. The best part? That Jones' player got killed, showing it was a real playthrough - not that dreadfully dull BF4 playthrough earlier in the day.

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:21 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

I loved the gameplay reveal. Would write more about that, but too pressed for time to write anything coherent.

So do we know much about the solo-capabilities of each class? Due to my odd gaming hours and such I tend to pick solo-capable classes so that I can drop in, have some fun, and not worry about whether a group is available (Mages in EQ, Warlocks in WoW). Do we know anything about this yet?

Kudos to everyone at Bungie. It was the best live demo of the show, by far. The best part? That Jones' player got killed, showing it was a real playthrough - not that dreadfully dull BF4 playthrough earlier in the day.

The general impression is that Jones' death was scripted--he died on purpose, to demonstrate the reviving ability to players. I think that's why the "Jones NoooOOOOooOoooo" line was so amusing--it seemed rehearsed.

The trend in FPS demonstrations is to run through a huge scripted moment that is as ridiculous and action packed as possible. Graphics! Explosions!

This demonstration seemed like it took the time to demonstrate gameplay elements and concepts. The action was almost downplayed by Bungie--the AI looked like it was on easy mode. I felt like I came away with a sense of the core elements of the game, instead of the feeling that I had just sat through the trailer for Hollywood's summer blockbuster war movie.

-

The Warlocks had some pretty sweet attacks, so I'm definitely interested to learn what abilities the Hunters and Titans have to compensate.

by Beckx, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:26 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

The general impression is that Jones' death was scripted--he died on purpose, to demonstrate the reviving ability to players. I think that's why the "Jones NoooOOOOooOoooo" line was so amusing--it seemed rehearsed.

I am too naive, I suppose. It was fun to watch at least.

The trend in FPS demonstrations is to run through a huge scripted moment that is as ridiculous and action packed as possible. Graphics! Explosions!

This demonstration seemed like it took the time to demonstrate gameplay elements and concepts. The action was almost downplayed by Bungie--the AI looked like it was on easy mode. I felt like I came away with a sense of the core elements of the game, instead of the feeling that I had just sat through the trailer for Hollywood's summer blockbuster war movie.

Had the same feeling. I hate moviegame trailers. This was the exact opposite. Had a nice sense of fun, too, like when the two speedbikes collided as the second team came in.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:07 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

The Warlocks had some pretty sweet attacks, so I'm definitely interested to learn what abilities the Hunters and Titans have to compensate.

Just had to point out, Jones was playing a Hunter, so we got an idea of Hunter powers too!

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:22 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

Bungie did great and they more than deserved their cheers. Putting a few recognizable faces up on stage to present was a sweet gesture. I was ecstatic when I heard Joe's voice! Gets me more excited for upcoming ViDocs.

Going off-topic, concerning Battlefield 4, I think DICE is trying to oversell the naval warfare aspect of the game like the Chinese boarding a sinking aircraft carrier. That's new.

by Beckx, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:24 (3971 days ago) @ Grizzlei

Video games really don't handle naval combat very well. I started laughing when the little pirate ship in AC4 blew up a ship of the line with one volley.

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:29 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx
edited by Grizzlei, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:33

Video games really don't handle naval combat very well. I started laughing when the little pirate ship in AC4 blew up a ship of the line with one volley.

That unfortunate fact was blatantly obvious when they parked a destroyer like two meters off of Shanghai. I'll at least hope that the Chinese team is able to sink her to deny the Americans of fire support. Way cooler than toppling down a skyscraper.

If only World of Tanks to base it on, "Warships" should be interesting.

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:37 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

I dunno, Empire: Total War had pretty realistic naval combat. (Which I was terrible at.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i7Nzx_jsMw

by Beckx, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:40 (3971 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

True, and small dev games Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific are amazeballs. But you know what I mean. :)

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 08:47 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

More realistic than AC4's naval combat

lol

by Axelrod vK, NC, USA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:05 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

I believe you're forgetting a little game called Crimson Steam Pirates?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:18 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

I now wonder what Jones could see while he was dead. Can he rotate the camera? Can he detach the camera and fly around? I liked doing that in firefight when someone was still alive but we were out of lives.

What happens if you die and nobody revives you? What happens if you fall off a cliff?

by Tawpgun, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:25 (3971 days ago) @ bluerunner

Yup. I'm actually interested in this two. Makes it seem like on missions you don't respawn. I wonder what happens solo.

by petetheduck, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:27 (3971 days ago) @ Tawpgun

Yup. I'm actually interested in this two. Makes it seem like on missions you don't respawn. I wonder what happens solo.

Halo had a pretty good system--if enemies were nearby, you couldn't respawn.

This could be a good addition to that system. If enemies are nearby, your buddy can still revive you, but they put themselves at risk by doing so.

How many times have we run away from the battlefield just to get sufficient distance to let our buddies respawn?

However, if all enemies are killed and your buddy doesn't revive you, I hope you automatically revive after a few moments.

by jazo, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:42 (3971 days ago) @ petetheduck

Perhaps you will revive in your ship and get dropped off away from the battle if a teammate is unable to get to you in time (which would have to at least be a minute or so).

Hmmm....

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:38 (3971 days ago) @ bluerunner

I now wonder what Jones could see while he was dead. Can he rotate the camera? Can he detach the camera and fly around? I liked doing that in firefight when someone was still alive but we were out of lives.

What happens if you die and nobody revives you? What happens if you fall off a cliff?

Wasn't the Guilty Spark-looking tool called a "Ghost"?

I'm sure I'm wrong, but it might be a neat idea that if you completely died as your character during the mission, you could act as some sort of in-game tool that could help out your comrades by highlighting weapons, or weak-points, or something...

Hmmm....

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:43 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm curious to see if everyone has a Ghost or if it's a choice of some kind.

Hmmm....

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:53 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

At the very least I'd expect your Ghost to fly you to the nearest respawn point.

Hmmm....

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:32 (3971 days ago) @ Leviathan

I'm sure I'm wrong, but it might be a neat idea that if you completely died as your character during the mission, you could act as some sort of in-game tool that could help out your comrades by highlighting weapons, or weak-points, or something...

When you die you should become a bomb that can be guided into other players so you can continue to knock off their balloons.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 09:42 (3971 days ago) @ bluerunner

For the fall of the cliff thing, I think it would but the revive orb at the top of the cliff. If you notice in the clip when Jones gets hit his orb stays where he got hit and his body goes flying.

[image]

Sadly they zoomed out to show the stage at that point so the image is tiny

They are letting the press play Destiny...

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 10:43 (3971 days ago) @ Beckx

Hopefully that means they'll bring Destiny and we'll get to play at PAX!

They are letting the press play Destiny...

by electricpirate @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:08 (3971 days ago) @ Xenos

Gamespot is streaming their stuff at 420 PST or so. I'll be out for it, but I'm sure I can watch it later.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread