I still have no idea what kind of game Destiny is

by Chris101b @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 11:56 (3972 days ago)

I enjoyed the gameplay reveal yesterday and I enjoyed the trailer even more! But I find myself in this weird kind of mood in which I am excited for the game, but I still feel like I don't know a lot of the basics still.

Bungie made it sound like the reveal at E3 was going to answer a lot of our questions, but it really just added a ton more. Is the game open world or can you travel to different areas that are pretty large and open? Can you freely roam the city, or is that all just artwork? Is the "Vast frontier" beyond the wall accessible to the player? Is each level played like a level or is it all open world?

From the gameplay, it looked as if two people started outside the wall, but when they got past it, there were a dozen others waiting. So were these people already beyond the wall? Did they teleport in? Did they too start where the demo started?

Mainly most of my questions involve if the game is truly open world or not, but I think it is something that Bungie needs to address, because I honestly can't be the only one who is confused. Other than those few questions, I am extremely excited for this game and can't wait to hear more.

What he said

by Oholiab @, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:45 (3972 days ago) @ Chris101b

- No text -

Definitely wondering the same things!

by Stephen Laughlin ⌂ @, Long Beach, CA, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:49 (3972 days ago) @ Chris101b

- No text -

Great Mail Sack question!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 12:55 (3972 days ago) @ Chris101b

I have the exact same questions! You should submit this to the Mail Sack when they open it back up, maybe DeeJ will enlighten us.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Tuesday, June 11, 2013, 16:27 (3972 days ago) @ Chris101b

Bungie made it sound like the reveal at E3 was going to answer a lot of our questions, but it really just added a ton more. Is the game open world or can you travel to different areas that are pretty large and open? Can you freely roam the city, or is that all just artwork? Is the "Vast frontier" beyond the wall accessible to the player? Is each level played like a level or is it all open world?

In the Gamespot interview I'm watching now they have said that all of that is playable terrain, you can run out there and experience it. I don't know how much there is out there, they haven't talked much about that, but good news at least.

by Jabberwok, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 08:06 (3971 days ago) @ Chris101b

As far as it being truly open world, I'm going to go ahead and guess no. But as far as how open it really is, I'm very curious.

by TDSpiral ⌂ @, TDS Gaming Shack, WA, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 08:14 (3971 days ago) @ Chris101b

From the gameplay, it looked as if two people started outside the wall, but when they got past it, there were a dozen others waiting. So were these people already beyond the wall? Did they teleport in? Did they too start where the demo started?

I think I can answer this one. It was from either a Gamespot or Adam Sessler interview, but Joe Staten did say that these players were either doing the same mission, or doing a different mission within the same area. You won't run into these players doing your mission with your own fireteam, but if you join a public event like in the demo, that area then becomes public and you will see other players.

But I don't know if these people you meet in the public event just disappear after it's over, or what.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, June 12, 2013, 15:45 (3971 days ago) @ Chris101b

I have a bit of a theory of what Destiny will be like.

As a frame of reference: Did you every play the multiplayer in Red Dead Redemption?

It was janky, rough around the edges, full of exploits and frustrations... but there was a little spark of brilliance at it's core.

You would be thrown in to the open world map. From there you could jump on your horse, find any of your friends that were also online, and group up together. As your posse rides across the desert, you'd encounter other players; some in groups, some on their own, each going there own way. The map was filled with various types of destinations, each triggering a specific mission. You might ride to a nearby gang hideout and find a group of random players already in the midst of a shootout. You could join in, or go on your way. Other locations were the sites of team-deathmatch style arenas; traveling to these locations would enter you seamlessly into a competitive multiplayer match.

When I think about what it will feel like to play Destiny, I imagine this sort of a structure but far more grand and expansive. More to do. More to see. More threats. More options. But always alive and in a constant state of flux and activity.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread