Streaming some Fallout 4 (Gaming)

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 00:21 (3098 days ago)

www.twitch.tv/theechaos12

Nothing special going on, just figured some of you might be on the fence about the game (YOU SHOULDNT BE). Feel free to come by and hang out. Its just me so I wont be saying much unless some one joins.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 01:30 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm not on the fence, I'm just testing my willpower. I honestly nearly caved to impulse tonight when 20 of the people on my friends list were playing it, but I held off . . .

I know pretty much without a doubt that I'll love Fallout 4. I loved Fallout 3, I loved everything Bethesda has done back to Morrowind (which is still one of my all time favorite games, and I wish they would go back to those mechanics. I miss my number crunching and character building!).

I just have too much to do, both in real life and gaming wise to add the hundreds of hours I know I'll spend in Fallout 4 to that list. I've finally been able to put Destiny down, I don't need another huge time sink to immediately take its place!

I am going to watch your stream for a bit, though.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 11:35 (3098 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I understand completely. This fall is great, for gaming, bad for my wallet and time management.

But honestly, Fallout has taken me away from destiny, at least for now. It is nice to be able to play a game that I can pause.

I am glad you guys stopped by to watch last night, it was a pleasant surpise. I will probably stream tonight again, but will be focusing on playing more than answering questions (not being mean, I just want to be able to focus on the dialogue/questing).

Streaming some Fallout 4

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 12:16 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Yeah, thanks for answering questions and showing us stuff! I really appreciate it, although it's making it hard to hold off on buying it. (:

Streaming some Fallout 4

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 13:21 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

It is REALLY good so far. Feels good to be back in the wasteland. Movement feels much better than before, as does the first-person shooting.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 13:28 (3098 days ago) @ stabbim

Everything feels better, in every way. The new controls still get me sometimes but are much needed. The game feels alot less clunky that previous installments. Gunplay is fun, VATS changes are nice, UI is clear. My only complaint so far is that you cannot zoom out (at least on console) while forging in your towns. You have to do it from First person, which is a pain fi you want to run electricity to the roof of a house!

Streaming some Fallout 4

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:16 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You have to do it from First person, which is a pain fi you want to run electricity to the roof of a house!

What I've been doing for those situations is building a set of stairs to the roof, and do whatever I need to from up there. Afterward I may or may not scrap the stairs, depending on whether I think I'll want to go back.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:20 (3098 days ago) @ stabbim

Yea that is the work around right now. I guess it fits seeing as you cant just turn into a Ghost and start zipping around. Its a rather unwarranted complaint I have. It took me awhile to figure out how to actually get the power to the house. I didn't know you had to use the little pylon things to run the wire to the building, I just used a breaker box thinking that would be all I need. Now I moved the box inside, so I can turn the lights off when I go to bed!

Streaming some Fallout 4

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 13:31 (3098 days ago) @ stabbim

It is REALLY good so far. Feels good to be back in the wasteland. Movement feels much better than before, as does the first-person shooting.

I got that impression watching TheeChaos's stream. The shooting actually looks pretty fun (it distinctly wasn't in Fallout 3; it was VATS or nothing.).

It still is very obviously a Bethesda game. Wonky companion AI and animations (although the faces and facial expressions are a huge improvement from their stuff in the past). We encountered a large body of water that had a hard line of two completely separate textures down the middle last night.

That said, anyone who went in to Fallout 4 not expecting those things is a little naive. We know exactly what we're getting with a Bethesda game by this point. Whether that's acceptable or not is up for debate. I don't mind little things like that; it's undoubtedly a huge, complex game, so all of those little bugs won't get squashed. But I've heard about some hard crashes and freezes and save corruptions happening to some folks, too. I'm pretty comfortable with my decision to wait a while. I have always loved Bethesda games, but they're always undoubtedly better after the first patch or two.

That said, Fallout 4 looks stellar. TheeChaos showed us the settlement building system last night, and it looks awesome. I spent tens of hours setting up my DLC houses in Skyrim just right. This looks like that on steroids. I can see myself sinking a lot of time into building an awesome settlement.

I really am excited to get it. I was going to hold off for quite a while, but in all honestly I'll probably get it next month, if not sooner. I do want to wait for the first big patch at least and see what it's like at that point.

As far as patches

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 13:41 (3098 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I got an update this morning, 1.01. Obviously 1.01 was released for launch. I made sure to check for updates after installing the game, I even checked after I got off last night as well.But this morning when I turned my PS4 on I had a notification saying that an update was installed, v1.01. Looks like we may have been playing an un-updated version of the game last night!

As far as patches

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:06 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I got an update this morning, 1.01. Obviously 1.01 was released for launch. I made sure to check for updates after installing the game, I even checked after I got off last night as well.But this morning when I turned my PS4 on I had a notification saying that an update was installed, v1.01. Looks like we may have been playing an un-updated version of the game last night!

The buggiest thing I've seen so far is Dialogue stalling. There was a point when I talked to someone where the other NPC finished their dialogue and it was supposed to continue on with another NPC saying something but instead it just focused on my character for a good 60-90 seconds because it just stopped the dialogue. I've had this happen twice so far the latter being worse. Either way it eventually fixed itself (it was part of a mission) which was good, but still it was pretty bad.

As far as patches

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:13 (3098 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yea sometimes the dialogue bugs out for me as well. Like you said it basically focuses on one person, who isnt talking, but should be. So far I have just been able to press X and keep on going through, but it can get annoying.

As far as patches

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:28 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Aha! I was wondering what the deal was - several reviewers mentioned a day-one patch, but I never saw one. I started downloading the game Monday night, and it finished about 20 minutes after the unlock time, at which point I was able to just start playing. Up until you posted this, I had assumed that maybe the patch was just included with my initial download. Hadn't thought to check the version number.

Will be interesting to see what's in the patch notes.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:25 (3098 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The shooting actually looks pretty fun (it distinctly wasn't in Fallout 3; it was VATS or nothing.).

Yeah, New Vegas was the same. I went very heavy on Agility in both games so I could use VATS. I actually LIKE using VATS so I was fine with that, but it is nice to be able to aim manually now, for times when the VATS hit chance is just too low:

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/stabbim/video/12687877

It still is very obviously a Bethesda game. Wonky companion AI and animations (although the faces and facial expressions are a huge improvement from their stuff in the past). We encountered a large body of water that had a hard line of two completely separate textures down the middle last night.

It's an odd thing, but I'm so used to the occasional pathing weirdness with Bethesda companions by now that it feels "right." Haven't really run into much graphical weirdness yet.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 14:29 (3098 days ago) @ stabbim

Love the pipe weapons! They are pretty unique.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 15:59 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I found a caravan fighting some super mutants, so I just watched until the muties killed both guards. Then I mopped them up and was able to loot all of the dead bodies, scoring the sweet guns that the guards were using. And I sold their stuff to the trader they'd been protecting. Combat Rifles are badass, man. Bad. Ass.

Also, I really recommend tricking out that starting 10mm gun you get. It's one of the best weapons I've found so far (about 8 hours played). The crafting is really good and the crafting perks are well worth the investment.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 16:36 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I haven't dove too far into crafting, I think that is going to be my goal for the day. I have the tier 1 gun mod perk, but haven't really tried messing around. I love the 10mm quite a bit, primarily because of the abundance of ammo, but also because I found one with high damage (for the level I was), compensator, and Red dot sight. It is really smooth and cool looking gun, plus I am a sucker for the simple weapons ( favorite weapon from New Vegas was Benny's Pistol).

Best gun I have found so far, a personal favorite from fallout 3 and New Vegas, the Combat Shotgun. I found one with no special perks or mods, fell back in love with it. Tears through ghouls in the best of ways. Shortly after I came across a legendary Raider, who dropped a High Damage, longer range combat shotgun, that explodes on impact doing even MORE damage. It almost feels a little overpowered, but to be fair I am going through the 3rd main story quest and I am already level 20.

I have steered clear of Auto weapons for the most part. I used an Armor piercing .45 (thompson) one some enemies, wasn't too happy with how many rounds I went through.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 16:51 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I haven't dove too far into crafting, I think that is going to be my goal for the day. I have the tier 1 gun mod perk, but haven't really tried messing around. I love the 10mm quite a bit, primarily because of the abundance of ammo, but also because I found one with high damage (for the level I was), compensator, and Red dot sight. It is really smooth and cool looking gun, plus I am a sucker for the simple weapons ( favorite weapon from New Vegas was Benny's Pistol).

Best gun I have found so far, a personal favorite from fallout 3 and New Vegas, the Combat Shotgun. I found one with no special perks or mods, fell back in love with it. Tears through ghouls in the best of ways. Shortly after I came across a legendary Raider, who dropped a High Damage, longer range combat shotgun, that explodes on impact doing even MORE damage. It almost feels a little overpowered, but to be fair I am going through the 3rd main story quest and I am already level 20.

I have steered clear of Auto weapons for the most part. I used an Armor piercing .45 (thompson) one some enemies, wasn't too happy with how many rounds I went through.

I agree that the thompsons suck. Take that .45 round that the combat rifle uses and do 1/4 the damage per shot. Just awful. I haven't played around with the shotguns much, but I've also only found the double-barrelled variety. Your legendary one sounds pretty sweet!

It's funny, I'm having a very different ammo experience than you are. I've run out of 10mm ammo several times and had to fall back on the .38 pipe weapons (I carry a tricked out pipe pistol for just such an occasion). The .45 ammo I use I had to trade for, but since it one-shot kills most enemies I face, I don't end up using too much of it (snipe a couple guys, swap to pipe pistol to clean up any stragglers).

Streaming some Fallout 4

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 16:56 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I agree that the thompsons suck. Take that .45 round that the combat rifle uses and do 1/4 the damage per shot. Just awful. I haven't played around with the shotguns much, but I've also only found the double-barrelled variety. Your legendary one sounds pretty sweet!

It's funny, I'm having a very different ammo experience than you are. I've run out of 10mm ammo several times and had to fall back on the .38 pipe weapons (I carry a tricked out pipe pistol for just such an occasion). The .45 ammo I use I had to trade for, but since it one-shot kills most enemies I face, I don't end up using too much of it (snipe a couple guys, swap to pipe pistol to clean up any stragglers).

So I got a dropped Legendary 10mm which I've been using and I'm loving it. I love the shotguns because they seem to be doing a ton of damage from where I'm at right now. I JUST got myself a combat shotgun and want to trick it out. I've also loved my upgraded hunting rifle with long barrel and nice scopes. It's dominates in the open :-)

all I have to say is: BOOM headsh... wait, where did his head go?

Streaming some Fallout 4

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 17:45 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Good stuff, I love the Pipe bolt action rifles with scopes. I got one with a nightvision scopes, damage isnt that great, but it is definitely helpful at night when shooting against the dark sky.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 18:12 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I got one with a nightvision scopes, damage isnt that great, but it is definitely helpful at night when shooting against the dark sky.

Heh. Anyone remember Ratslayer from New Vegas? I never really stopped using that gun.

Buy spray and pray.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 18:46 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Might be spray and play. Idk. Anyway, it does an extra 15 damage of explosives. It explodes everything.

When killing glowing deathclaws, or those big ass tank robot things, it's a lifesaver for pure DPS.

Buy spray and pray.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 19:14 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

Might be spray and play. Idk. Anyway, it does an extra 15 damage of explosives. It explodes everything.

When killing glowing deathclaws, or those big ass tank robot things, it's a lifesaver for pure DPS.

Yeah, it also costs a shit ton of money! I don't have the 36k or was it 360k gold to buy it? I barely have 1000 gold right now :-)

Buy spray and pray.

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 19:29 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

.< bottlecaps***

Buy spray and pray.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 19:55 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

.< bottlecaps***

Yeah yeah, I forget shit so I revert back to the standard :-D

What was the game that used meat as currency?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 21:59 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Kingdom of Loathing

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:19 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I played for years. Haven't of late, since I got busier at work, but man... so fun.

I haven't played it. Should I?

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:47 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

- No text -

It's fun (and funny) but has a VERY steep learning curve

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:57 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

The game has a mechanic that I wish was in every game: Once you beat it, you can make any one of your skills permanent for all future runs through the game (regardless of class). So if you're a caster class and have a spell that does fire damage, you can make that permanent, and then when you play the game as a dexterity class you'll still have this fire spell at your disposal.

Anyway, my very first run through the game took me more than 160 days to complete (that's not time spent in game - for clarity the way you play is that each click takes up one use of a resource called "adventures" and you get 40 adventures per day. There are items that can give you more adventures, like eating food or drinking booze, and you can bank up to 160 adventures for the next day if you don't want to play them all). Anyway, my fastest runs are only 3 days long. Same game, same quests. It's a game that's about resource optimization and skill stacking.

So yeah, very fun game, very well written, lots of super fun mechanics that are so good I wish other games would steal them (Diablo needs to steal the perm. skill mechanic in a major way), but very obtuse at the start, potentially frustrating and boring until you are familiar enough with it to understand the meta game of speed optimization.

Age of Empires

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:44 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Streaming some Fallout 4

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 22:17 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I found a caravan fighting some super mutants, so I just watched until the muties killed both guards. Then I mopped them up and was able to loot all of the dead bodies, scoring the sweet guns that the guards were using. And I sold their stuff to the trader they'd been protecting. Combat Rifles are badass, man. Bad. Ass.

Also, I really recommend tricking out that starting 10mm gun you get. It's one of the best weapons I've found so far (about 8 hours played). The crafting is really good and the crafting perks are well worth the investment.

Looking forward to my tricked out bayonet shotguns with maxed Strength and Pain Train.

What? Don't look at me like that. I have a reputation to uphold.

About melee attacks...

by Kahzgul, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:20 (3097 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Guns with Bayonets are so good that I don't really see the purpose of melee weapons in the game. Thoughts?

About melee attacks...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 11:31 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Haven't messed with them, but I've seen some interesting perks. Also roleplaying and stealth.

About melee attacks...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:46 (3097 days ago) @ Kahzgul

Guns with Bayonets are so good that I don't really see the purpose of melee weapons in the game. Thoughts?

I haven't used a single melee weapon, but my biggest guess is that Bayonets take AC and take longer between swings. But yeah I've found that sometimes melee does a heck of a lot more damage than a gun shot sometimes.

About melee attacks...

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 04:26 (3096 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I haven't used a single melee weapon, but my biggest guess is that Bayonets take AC and take longer between swings. But yeah I've found that sometimes melee does a heck of a lot more damage than a gun shot sometimes.

If you actually put points into strength and the melee perks in Fallout 3, melee was ridiculous. I remember doing a melee only build at one point and basically one shotting everything (Deathclaws became a huge joke). I've already seen reports that you can do the exact same thing in Fallout 4, with melee not quite one-shotting some of the Legendary enemies.

Granted, after the novelty of it wears off, it's not a super interesting or fun way to play, but it's definitely possible.

About melee attacks...

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 04:32 (3095 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I've found you can't VATS with bayonets. So there's that.

Streaming some Fallout 4

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 15:02 (3098 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm holding off until I finish Halo 5's story mode; I'm also considering getting an external drive before downloading Fallout 4 for the reported performance boost. But I will be getting it soon and it will eat hugely into my Destiny time for probably the next month or so; I spent a couple hundred hours each in the Capital Wasteland and New Vegas and I expect to spend at least as much in the Commonwealth.

-- Steve's got more great games than spare time right now, which isn't the worst problem to have, is it?

I hate you guys.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:20 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

All of this discussion is really tempting me.

I also just saw this commercial on television, and it made me really hyped for no real reason:

I might cave soon. /:

I hate you guys.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:43 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Don't. It's standard Bethesda. Nothing special about the game other than more Fallout. If you like Fallout, you'll like the game. If you liked Oblivion, you'll like this game. If you saw no need to buy it before, you should feel no need now. The people who should buy this game at launch already have. No worries.

Again, NOTHING special other than more Fallout. Wait till your real life settles down.

I hate you guys.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:07 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

Bethesda has been one of my favorite developers since Morrowind. I've loved all of their games since then (Morrowind is still my favorite, but that may just be a nostalgia, looking back through my 12 or 13 year old eyes), so I know for sure I'll love Fallout 4. I may end up getting it soon; I'm not sure I can hold out. :P

I was just holding off because I'm enthralled with Divinity Original Sin, but it may have to take a backseat. I'll have to mull it over.

I hate you guys.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:24 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I thought it was real life based! Nah, put that game in the 12 sheet at a time shredder and buy Fallout.

I hate you guys.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:48 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I thought it was real life based! Nah, put that game in the 12 sheet at a time shredder and buy Fallout.

. . .

I did. It's downloading now. I couldn't help myself.

How the hell is Fallout 4 only 28 GB when Halo 5 was 54?

Nah, not real life based. I mean, I'm busy, but hell, so is everyone. I was just trying to be smart about my games backlog. I've pretty much accepted that I'm not going to finish The Witcher 3, at this point (I deleted it to make room for Fallout.). It's a shame, because I really enjoyed the game while I was playing it, but every time I try to go back to it, I quit after ten minutes. I just can't get back into it after taking a substantial break from it for whatever reason.

I wanted to play Halo 5 more, but it seems that for the most part, the folks on my friends list just didn't migrate over to it. They played the campaign and went right back to Destiny (and now Fallout and Black Ops). So that was sort of a bust.

Looking back, it's hard to understand how I played so many games in the 360 era. Granted I was in high school when it came out, and college for a lot of its life, so I had a lot more free time. But it still seemed easier to balance work, school, gaming, and going out and doing things with friends and family and feeling like I was playing everything I wanted to. Now I feel like I just pass on games I'm interested in just because there's so damn many of them and I can't find the time (Mad Max is a good example, and the new Tomb Raider being another). Sometimes I feel like if I don't get and play a game when it releases, I'll forget about it, or get into something else that comes out later, and just never get around to it.

Choosing which games to buy and which to wait on or skip outright has become a huge decision, whereas before I could buy whatever, whenever, and find the time for it.

Anyway, didn't really mean for that to turn into a huge post, but there it is!

YAY

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 01:20 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Hope you enjoy it! I probably have about 30 hours in since midnight release (would be more but i still have a family around here somewhere... and work!). I have not been let down. I was playing today and like Funkmon was saying, the sidetrack is real. I have just completed the 3rd quest in the main story. Then I was walking to my next objective and came up on a building. OBVIOUSLY I was compelled to go in. After exploring I found a companion!, then went to another place, and another, and through this one huge interconnected building. I checked my map before i got off, I ended up going the complete opposite direction of my objective. Completely forgot about the main quest. Needless to say, did not progress in my questlines, but man did I have fun.

Towards the end of my shorter play period today, I got a little bored. Most of it was because I had some real life things going on, and I was tired from playing late last night. I decided to hop on Destiny for a bit to do a little crucible to get warmed up for trials. Boy did I suck. I was getting smacked. I consider myself pretty good, but was ending up at the bottom of the leaderboard every time. My aiming was completely off thanks to Fallout. It's ok though. Fallout is life.

YAY

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 01:39 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Heh, that's how I've always found myself playing Bethesda games.

I think Morrowind was the only one I did the main quest in pretty much immediately, just because it fascinated me. I loved how deep and involved it was; I loved convincing all the clans you were the Nerevarine and meeting the last Dwarf.

I think it was nearly 40 hours before I even touched the main quest in Skyrim, though. I made it to Whiterun, then just picked a direction and started walking. There's a giant camp pretty close to Whiterun that I ran into almost immediately and repeatedly got destroyed there.

I guess we'll see how the quest in Fallout 4 grabs me, and that'll determine the direction I take in it, but I imagine there'll be a lot of random exploration either way. I'm obsessed with marking everything on the map, even if I don't explore it at the time of discovery (which often backfires as things I haven't explored yet get forgotten because it's just another of many locations on the map).

YAY

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 01:50 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Ymmv.

30 hours in, I don't have any quests left in my pip boy but apparently radiant quests. I assume there are some quests I haven't discovered, but I don't think there are that many. The game feels as if it's progressing very quickly.

Found your problem.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 01:32 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

going out and doing things with friends and family

See, if you just remove those things from your life, you'll have more time. It's what I did!

This month is a rough month. I'm going to wait on Tomb Raider to be cheaper to buy it. $30 maybe. Maybe I'll rent it. IDK. Honestly, who cares, anyway? So what if you miss a game. Can you imagine telling kids about the time you almost beat Witcher 3? Meh. Cut the losses and play Fallout. Come back in the spring dry spell.

Found your problem.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 01:44 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

See, if you just remove those things from your life, you'll have more time. It's what I did!

I need to become a hermit and live in a cabin deep in the woods. A rich hermit, though, that can afford to lay fiber optics all the way to my cabin. (:

This month is a rough month. I'm going to wait on Tomb Raider to be cheaper to buy it. $30 maybe. Maybe I'll rent it. IDK. Honestly, who cares, anyway? So what if you miss a game. Can you imagine telling kids about the time you almost beat Witcher 3? Meh. Cut the losses and play Fallout. Come back in the spring dry spell.

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts anymore. There are just too many games, and I can't keep up, so there's not much use in trying. The Witcher 3 became a real sticking point for a while, because I really, really enjoyed it, but I stopped about halfway through for House of Wolves and just never made it back. I tried for a while to get back into it, just on principle of wanting to finish a game I liked, but I wasn't enjoying it for whatever reason, so I abandoned it. Life's too short to play games you're not having fun with, though, so screw it.

Found your problem.

by Kahzgul, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:07 (3096 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I need to become a hermit and live in a cabin deep in the woods. A rich hermit, though, that can afford to lay fiber optics all the way to my cabin. (:

Yeah, those are pretty much my thoughts anymore. There are just too many games, and I can't keep up, so there's not much use in trying. The Witcher 3 became a real sticking point for a while, because I really, really enjoyed it, but I stopped about halfway through for House of Wolves and just never made it back. I tried for a while to get back into it, just on principle of wanting to finish a game I liked, but I wasn't enjoying it for whatever reason, so I abandoned it. Life's too short to play games you're not having fun with, though, so screw it.

The problem as I see it is that game companies aren't run by gamers. They have this belief that game sales cycle similarly to other merchandise sales, and they really don't. If any of the great games out this month had come out in June, they'd have sold waaaay more copies simply due to lack of competition. Gamers are voracious. We don't buy only one good game; we buy them all. But if all the good ones come out at the same time, we will buy our one favorite and then wait on the others until their prices drop.

Also, I believe MMORPGs are bad for gaming in general. The more time you're playing a single game, the less time you have for other games. Destiny is making money, sure, but is it making enough to cover the fact that I didn't buy CoD because if I'm gonna FPS I'm just gonna play Destiny? Back when I played WoW, I did the math and was saving $300 a year by not purchasing other video games and just paying my monthly fees. Video games as timesinks is poor design as far as the business of gaming is concerned.

In fact, to bring this whole circle: I've spent as much time building my bases in Fallout as I have spent wandering the wasteland. It's nice to have that tool available, but man does it take a lot of time.

Found your problem.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:53 (3096 days ago) @ Kahzgul

The problem as I see it is that game companies aren't run by gamers. They have this belief that game sales cycle similarly to other merchandise sales, and they really don't. If any of the great games out this month had come out in June, they'd have sold waaaay more copies simply due to lack of competition. Gamers are voracious. We don't buy only one good game; we buy them all. But if all the good ones come out at the same time, we will buy our one favorite and then wait on the others until their prices drop.

Also, I believe MMORPGs are bad for gaming in general. The more time you're playing a single game, the less time you have for other games. Destiny is making money, sure, but is it making enough to cover the fact that I didn't buy CoD because if I'm gonna FPS I'm just gonna play Destiny? Back when I played WoW, I did the math and was saving $300 a year by not purchasing other video games and just paying my monthly fees. Video games as timesinks is poor design as far as the business of gaming is concerned.

I don't think its bad business for the game developer that makes the time sink. I've only paid for Destiny and it's expansions since Destiny came out last Sept. So $140 for just over a year. Normally I would have only bought 1 title from a company and maybe one map pack in the 2-3 year development cycle of the next game. That's less per year for that company while still having to pay for the development of the next game. At least with the MMORPG model they have money coming in a steady flow, and more than they would probably normally get per year.

I will say that for the industry, it is probably worse in a way. Normally I would have put Destiny down months ago, and bought Forza 6, Witcher 3, and now BO3, and even the new Rainbow 6 coming soon. Usually every 3-6 months I was buying a new game and I also switched between games fairly frequently. Now, it's pretty much just Destiny all the time. I've never played so much but with so few games. It works for me, I've been saving bucks by just playing Destiny. I do long for something different though. I just wanna shoot things without having to unlock, upgrade, infuse every time I get something new.

Found your problem.

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 00:09 (3096 days ago) @ red robber

That's what I mean: It's bad for the *industry*. In the space where you'd buy 6 game titles, you're instead only buying 1 and paying for its xpacs or monthly fee (usually the equivalent of 2 full games) so the industry as a whole loses 2/3 of its revenue. Sure, the company that made the one killer MMO is raking in the dough, but there's absolutely no guarantee that their MMO will still be *the* MMO next year. Of course by then it's too late; the cycle has shifting and now they're selling significantly less product.

It also means that these big companies are focusing resources on having the one killer MMO, which means a lot less overall game diversity and experimentation.

Almost bought the game, but then I watched the streams...

by naturl selexion, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:46 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

So I thought that before I payed $60 for a game I was't sure I would like I decided to watch some streams. In all the streams I watched there was only a couple minutes worth of interesting stuff. Almost the entire time was people going through their inventory, their dogs inventory or picking up crap off the ground.

Is that what the game is really about, scavenging and inventory management?

...before submitting I went and watched another random couple random streams just in case I had a streak of bad luck with the streamers. Nope, pretty much the same thing, although one did shoot a couple things. Most of the time was looking through buildings and picking up every random piece of garbage that they could find.

I don't think this game is for me. The time investment appears to be huge compared to the action offered.

Yeah, mostly.

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, November 12, 2015, 23:48 (3097 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Have you played Fallout 3? Oblivion? Skyrim?

There's lots of inventory management.

Yeah, mostly.

by naturl selexion, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:07 (3097 days ago) @ marmot 1333

Only Oblivion. I liked Oblivion, the open world go anywhere you want exploration thing. But the endless collection of "stuff" wore on me and I lost interest. So much time spent doing such boring stuff...

Yeah, mostly.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:15 (3097 days ago) @ naturl selexion

Only Oblivion. I liked Oblivion, the open world go anywhere you want exploration thing. But the endless collection of "stuff" wore on me and I lost interest. So much time spent doing such boring stuff...

Bethesda hasn't made a modern game that wasn't like that, really. That's kind of their thing. I remember playing Morrowind for the first time and realizing I could pick up absolutely ANYTHING. There's actually a quest in that game about finding a specific fork (A magical fork!).

In most of their games, it's not really something you need to do. Most of the items are useless; you can just sell them to vendors and that's pretty much it. You just steal everything that's not bolted down and sell it. It seems like Fallout 4 has made most of this stuff usable for crafting and not just flavor, so it's bound to be worse in that aspect.

Keep in mind though, the game doesn't have to be played that way (or past Bethesda games didn't). You can definitely just play the quests and and kill things. But for many (most?), Bethesda games are very much mostly just about exploring the world, looking through every container imaginable, collecting a bunch of crap. Typing that makes me realize how shallow and boring it makes the games sound, but it really is one of the most unique and satisfying gaming experiences in an odd way, for the right people.

I'm in no way saying you're wrong or that you should get Fallout 4, it does take a particular mindset to enjoy, I think. I'm just saying that it's one of the great things about Bethesda games: there's no "right" way to play them. If you want to just shoot you're way through the quests, you can. If you want to ignore the quests for hundreds of hours and blaze your own path through the game world, you can definitely do that, too.

Yeah, mostly.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 00:31 (3097 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's really that flexibility that makes the game. I managed to get FO4 early, and have spent 30 hours in the game. Pretty much played it like a job. The flexibility gives you the "just another half hour" mentality. I'll just explore one more thing, or one more quest. Then you get sidetracked.

Anyway, I am very quest oriented. I put the game on very easy, and run quests. However, on my way to an area, sometimes I see other things and explore just because they look cool, like in real life. I then explore them, and it's fun. For example, there was a location called "Cave" in Fallout 4. I HAD to see what was in there.

Other games force you into the quests, or force you into exploring. The beauty of Fallout and the later Elder Scrolls games is you can not only play how you want, but you can switch off for 5 minutes and play the other way with no detriment.

Yeah, mostly.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:58 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

Anyway, I am very quest oriented. I put the game on very easy, and run quests. However, on my way to an area, sometimes I see other things and explore just because they look cool, like in real life. I then explore them, and it's fun. For example, there was a location called "Cave" in Fallout 4. I HAD to see what was in there.

See I set the game on third to the hardest which I have to say is still pretty hard. I can't imagine what the hardest is like. Anyway, I found that it actually equalizes the game in terms of fighting and item management because the item management is all that more important and when you get into a fight you can't just go in guns blazing. You actually spend a lot of time in a stand off figuring how to approach enemies and switching up guns. Also, you get less bullets which sucks.

Sounds like you should play on very easy!

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 21:12 (3096 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Yeah, mostly.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 04:36 (3095 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'm enjoying the scavenging and crafting big time. Does a lot for role playing (oh look, a location that might have X, better go check it out). So yeah, lots of looking through containers, but you're trying to rebuild after all.

And make kickass Power Armor.

I wonder how it could be improved

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 14:19 (3095 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I'm enjoying the scavenging and crafting big time. Does a lot for role playing (oh look, a location that might have X, better go check it out). So yeah, lots of looking through containers, but you're trying to rebuild after all.

What if we just removed the scrounging bit. You've discovered a location and instead of having to play an extended, boring version of a hidden object game over and over to clear the place out, you just had to initiate a search action that after a couple seconds resulted in you getting all of the objects in that room/space.

It's just that I DO like the idea of saying "hey there is a cabin over there, I wonder what's in it, I'll check it out", and I absolutely HATE the part of actually just scanning every inch of the place to make sure I left nothing valuable on the walls... I can't imagine ever feeling accomplished or satisfied by that.

I'm guessing this is already a mod somewhere... what do you think?

This alone would cause me to consider this genre of games Bethesda operates in.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 15:53 (3094 days ago) @ kidtsunami
edited by SonofMacPhisto, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 16:01

What if we just removed the scrounging bit. You've discovered a location and instead of having to play an extended, boring version of a hidden object game over and over to clear the place out, you just had to initiate a search action that after a couple seconds resulted in you getting all of the objects in that room/space.

It's just that I DO like the idea of saying "hey there is a cabin over there, I wonder what's in it, I'll check it out", and I absolutely HATE the part of actually just scanning every inch of the place to make sure I left nothing valuable on the walls... I can't imagine ever feeling accomplished or satisfied by that.

I'm guessing this is already a mod somewhere... what do you think?

Sounds like a good idea for one, if not!

Do you know about marking materials for collection? If you don't, it highlights what you're looking for. Take screws, you find that in clocks, so now you'll see every clock lit up slightly.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 16:43 (3094 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Do you know about marking materials for collection? If you don't, it highlights what you're looking for. Take screws, you find that in clocks, so now you'll see every clock lit up slightly.

On a side note, it took me ages to realize that those things were broken down into their component parts automatically when stored in the workbench. I looked for like an hour trying to figure out how to break crap down for materials.

I love the crafting system and the settlement building aspects, but holy crap do they do a bad job explaining it. And by bad job, I mean it's non existent. They don't tell you shit!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 17:16 (3094 days ago) @ cheapLEY

lol I was dropping everything and doing it manually for a while.

Hardcore mode 4 lyfe obv

Made me think of you, Chaos...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 13, 2015, 22:25 (3096 days ago) @ TheeChaos

www.twitch.tv/theechaos12

Nothing special going on, just figured some of you might be on the fence about the game (YOU SHOULDNT BE). Feel free to come by and hang out. Its just me so I wont be saying much unless some one joins.

Watching your stream, saying how fantastic the graphics looked, and then remembering the complaints... Some people need perspective...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 22:54 (3096 days ago) @ Korny

Watching your stream, saying how fantastic the graphics looked, and then remembering the complaints... Some people need perspective...

Applicable for all aspects of the game.

I listened to the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast about Fallout 4 today. Jason Schreier is about the most negative person I've ever heard talk about video games. He shits all over everything (sometimes justifiably), but I don't think I've ever heard him say anything good about anything.

He's disappointed in Fallout 4 because it's not "next-gen" enough (and he wasn't talking about graphics). What the hell does that even mean? He said it was just a rehash of Fallout 3 in a different location. Yeah, that was the point! That's what people wanted! Is he on drugs?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 20:41 (3095 days ago) @ cheapLEY

He's disappointed in Fallout 4 because it's not "next-gen" enough (and he wasn't talking about graphics). What the hell does that even mean? He said it was just a rehash of Fallout 3 in a different location. Yeah, that was the point! That's what people wanted! Is he on drugs?

That is literally exactly what I wanted. I LOVED Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and that experience with better graphics and more streamlined mechanics (by which I mean movement, shooting, and so on) is exactly what I wanted. And so far with Fallout 4, it's exactly what I'm getting, and I'm very happy about it. I do wonder exactly what he was expecting?

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 04:44 (3095 days ago) @ stabbim

That is literally exactly what I wanted. I LOVED Fallout 3 and New Vegas, and that experience with better graphics and more streamlined mechanics (by which I mean movement, shooting, and so on) is exactly what I wanted. And so far with Fallout 4, it's exactly what I'm getting, and I'm very happy about it. I do wonder exactly what he was expecting?

Fallout 4 is a more fully realized version of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Braying that it isn't "next gen" enough is completely missing this wonderful development.

Next gen. Lol. TPS reports and meetings with the Bobs in 15 miuntes amirite?

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 15:00 (3095 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Fallout 4 is a more fully realized version of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Braying that it isn't "next gen" enough is completely missing this wonderful development.

Yeah, I didn't understand the argument he was trying to make in the podcast. Although to be fair (to me), there wasn't much to understand; he sounded like a whiny five year old that didn't get exactly what he wanted.

I've never understood the "it doesn't feel next gen" argument. First of all, the graphics look pretty damn good from my perspective, so I don't really know if I'm playing the same game as everyone else. Second of all, what the hell do these people expect? Just because it's on a new console, it doesn't mean the game design is going to significantly change. It's Fallout, the formula is pretty known at this point.

I see a lot of people complaining that you "have" to pick up all the junk now for crafting. Didn't most players do that anyway to pawn at the vendors? I certainly did, so my play habits haven't changed at all in that regard.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 15:50 (3094 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, I didn't understand the argument he was trying to make in the podcast. Although to be fair (to me), there wasn't much to understand; he sounded like a whiny five year old that didn't get exactly what he wanted.

I've never understood the "it doesn't feel next gen" argument. First of all, the graphics look pretty damn good from my perspective, so I don't really know if I'm playing the same game as everyone else. Second of all, what the hell do these people expect? Just because it's on a new console, it doesn't mean the game design is going to significantly change. It's Fallout, the formula is pretty known at this point.

All agree.

I see a lot of people complaining that you "have" to pick up all the junk now for crafting. Didn't most players do that anyway to pawn at the vendors? I certainly did, so my play habits haven't changed at all in that regard.

You know I suspect not. In previous Fallouts I focused on guns, armor, and ammo to sell. Only grabbed "junk" if it was particularly valuable (fusion batteries and the like). The ability to mark things for collection helps a lot with Fallout 4's "gotta collect it all" approach. But hey I'm a massive crafter it seems so all that junk has a huge payoff for me.

*proceeds to shock entire hordes of ghouls to death with his power armor*

*laughs the laugh of mad scientist*

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 16:40 (3094 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

You know I suspect not. In previous Fallouts I focused on guns, armor, and ammo to sell. Only grabbed "junk" if it was particularly valuable (fusion batteries and the like). The ability to mark things for collection helps a lot with Fallout 4's "gotta collect it all" approach. But hey I'm a massive crafter it seems so all that junk has a huge payoff for me.

*proceeds to shock entire hordes of ghouls to death with his power armor*

*laughs the laugh of mad scientist*

Maybe it's not so much a thing in Fallout, but I can remember when Morrowind came out, one if it's big hooks was that everything in the world was able to be interacted with. That's one of the things that Bethesda kinda became known for, from my perspective anyway. Now that Fallout 4 has actually given that a purpose, and made it more useful than just selling crap to vendors, people (granted a minority, probably, but it's a common complaint I've seen) are complaining about it. I just think it's a little ridiculous.

Also, I have not even touched Power Armor, yet. Am I missing out? I got the first set from when you first encounter the Minutemen, and then I promptly stored it at Sanctuary and forgot about it. Should I be utilizing it more?

Power Armor is Best Armor

by SonofMacPhisto @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 17:27 (3094 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Also, I have not even touched Power Armor, yet. Am I missing out? I got the first set from when you first encounter the Minutemen, and then I promptly stored it at Sanctuary and forgot about it. Should I be utilizing it more?

I'd say absolutely, but, it's my bag baby as the saying goes.

Rant inbound.

The Minuteman set is very much so tutorial armor. Moving down... um how to say avoiding spoilers... "faction" quest lines will score you *really* good stuff. Coupled with crafting (Armorer and Science! perks) there's some really powerful options.

For example, my Survivor rocks jeans and a t-shirt (literally, no armor) but when I get into my T-60e set (Power Armor overrides whatever you're wearing btw) I've got 1500 damage resist, 1000 energy resist, 1000 rad resist, AOE shock effect, carrying capacity over 400 (with 3 strength lol), and HUD targeting (think constant Boone o' Vision from New Vegas). Plus after a while you're lousy with Fusion Cores, and with the perk that doubles their duration, power is no issue. Playing on normal right now, direct confrontation is always an option, but I still can't be totally stupid. I have plans within plans for the future. It will be glorious.

Finally, it's a lot of fun to park at the entrance of a settlement, pop out, and be like "sup guys?!" Um, so yeah. I'm the Commonwealth's Tony Stark right now. :P

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 22:51 (3094 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Plus after a while you're lousy with Fusion Cores, and with the perk that doubles their duration, power is no issue. Playing on normal right now, direct confrontation is always an option, but I still can't be totally stupid. I have plans within plans for the future. It will be glorious.

I think that was my biggest issue. At least at the beginning, the fusion core drains so fast, it just seemed like more trouble than it's worth. What skill is that perk under? The new perk screen looks neat, but it's hard for me to find things. It's just so busy, my mind goes blank and my eyes sort of glaze over.

I did use the T-45 armor a bit today, and it is fun. I'm just draining fusion cores, and I only had four of them, so I parked it. I just joined the Brotherhood of Steel, I'm assuming that'll lead to another set?

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 00:13 (3094 days ago) @ cheapLEY

There's like two dozen sets. The fusion cores are hard to come by at first though.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 03:22 (3094 days ago) @ Funkmon

There's like two dozen sets. The fusion cores are hard to come by at first though.

I've heard of some crazy stuff out there. So excited.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 03:20 (3094 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Plus after a while you're lousy with Fusion Cores, and with the perk that doubles their duration, power is no issue. Playing on normal right now, direct confrontation is always an option, but I still can't be totally stupid. I have plans within plans for the future. It will be glorious.

I think that was my biggest issue. At least at the beginning, the fusion core drains so fast, it just seemed like more trouble than it's worth. What skill is that perk under? The new perk screen looks neat, but it's hard for me to find things. It's just so busy, my mind goes blank and my eyes sort of glaze over.

I believe it's Intelligence level nine. Nuclear Physicist or something?

I did use the T-45 armor a bit today, and it is fun. I'm just draining fusion cores, and I only had four of them, so I parked it. I just joined the Brotherhood of Steel, I'm assuming that'll lead to another set?

Yes, T-60b. With Armorer and Science! you can up it to T-60f eventually. :D

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 12:25 (3094 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

I believe it's Intelligence level nine. Nuclear Physicist or something?

Yes, T-60b. With Armorer and Science! you can up it to T-60f eventually. :D

So, so far that's my only real issue with Fallout 4. I'm at level 14 or 15, and so far all my perks have just gone into all of the things I need for crafting and basic hacking and lockpicking. I guess you don't NEED to be able to craft, but I feel like you'd be missing a lot by ignoring it, so you're almost forced to take those perks.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 21:11 (3093 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Maybe. The crafting is new for Fallout, so there's a lot of interest there. I also love tinkering, so I'm slayed right away. However, I can imagine some extremely strong no-crafting builds, especially if one focused on stealth. Some of those perks are incredible.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 16, 2015, 21:46 (3093 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

FWIW, I'm going for the combat perks I want, and some crafting. No level cap this go 'round, so I'll have everything I want eventually. I am tending to take the combat perks first, though. My logic is that some crafted items (like weapon mods) can be obtained without actually making them, plus I figure waiting until I'm upper-tier to seriously craft things is ok, since most of the stuff I could craft at lower levels would get discarded eventually anyway. Whereas Bloody Mess is fun NOW. :P

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 00:21 (3093 days ago) @ stabbim

FWIW, I'm going for the combat perks I want, and some crafting. No level cap this go 'round, so I'll have everything I want eventually. I am tending to take the combat perks first, though. My logic is that some crafted items (like weapon mods) can be obtained without actually making them, plus I figure waiting until I'm upper-tier to seriously craft things is ok, since most of the stuff I could craft at lower levels would get discarded eventually anyway. Whereas Bloody Mess is fun NOW. :P

I've been doing a mix of both, so I'm okay with it for the most part. Plus, it seems like they've added a lot more magazines with with permanent perk unlocks this time around, so it's not hard to imagine having a character with nearly everything.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 03:25 (3093 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Sort of. The magazine perks are separate from the ones in the leveling-up chart as far as I can tell. But regardless, they're free boosts.

I miss the "Hardcore" mode from Fallout: New Vegas

by Kahzgul, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 00:13 (3096 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Having to manage food, water, sleep, and the weight of all that ammo made the game so much more interesting to me. I'm really disappointed that it isn't part of the new game. The closest is "combat is really hard and also there's less ammo" which is just fundamentally not the same.

Picked this up a couple of days ago...

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, November 16, 2015, 04:43 (3094 days ago) @ TheeChaos

...and I'm mildly impressed. For the most part it's what I thought it would be. A new Fallout game. Better graphics. A few gameplay enhancements.

What I didn't expect was to like the story as much as I am so far! Don't get me wrong, Fallout 3's was interesting but I never really liked any of the characters. They were a means for Caps and XP and were quirky and that was about it. Already in 4 I'm loving my character (he responds "correctly" nearly every time I make a speech choice), and several of the story characters and story situations have been a lot of fun. Valentine, for instance. Just perfect, so far. That, and rescuing him from the gangsters in my first real test of my fully repaired Power Armor with plenty of minigun ammo left over? It was glorious. I was like Robocop combined with the Terminator or something. Just walking on in and tearing apart any fool who dared face me while taking a grand total of maybe 20% damage!

Also, the best part of the game by far is its main theme. It's just so heartwarming! It feels familiar too but I can't quite place what I'm relating it to... A cross between the slow Cortana part of the Halo theme combined with those few piano notes when Shepard dies at the beginning of Mass Effect 2, perhaps??

Oh... question. I was putting the game to bed for the night and was going to fast travel around and check on my settlements. First one was fine but when I got to there I saw a message that I'd failed to defend the second one... How was I supposed to know to defend it? Is there a message or something I missed?

SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT ABOVE

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 07:03 (3094 days ago) @ Ragashingo

I know what you're saying. I liked the characters. I liked my character. The kid thing is a lot of motivation that was lacking in the first 3. You want to really continue and find out more.

What did you think about the story for New Vegas?

Unrelated: Zalachenko is Lisbeth's father

SPOILERS FOR MASS EFFECT ABOVE

by cheapLEY @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 12:31 (3094 days ago) @ Funkmon

I know what you're saying. I liked the characters. I liked my character. The kid thing is a lot of motivation that was lacking in the first 3. You want to really continue and find out more.

I really like that angle, too. It's the first time I've played a Bethesda game and worked on the main quest immediately, rather than fifty hours in.

I like that motivator, and I like my character being voiced. I've just as many people complaining about it as I have praising it, though, so it seems like it's a pretty divisive issue. Some have said it affects their roleplay, being "forced" to have a kid, etc. I can see where you're coming from, as your character brings it every chance she gets, but . . . I'm in the camp that loves it, so that obviously works for me.

What did you think about the story for New Vegas?

I'm a little ashamed to admit I never played that game! Despite loving Fallout 3, I just never picked up New Vegas. ):

Unrelated: Zalachenko is Lisbeth's father

You're such a dick. (:

Defending settlements

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, November 16, 2015, 11:20 (3094 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Oh... question. I was putting the game to bed for the night and was going to fast travel around and check on my settlements. First one was fine but when I got to there I saw a message that I'd failed to defend the second one... How was I supposed to know to defend it? Is there a message or something I missed?

Yes. There'll be messages in the top left corner of the UI every once in awhile about settlements being attacked. They can even happen during story missions, so sometimes you won't really be able to leave and defend them, you'll just have to go and repair things and dispose of bodies.

You can check periodically under "Data > Quests > Miscellaneous" in the pip boy to see if you have any requests to defend a settlement.

You can also pre-emptively check under "Data > Settlements" in the pip boy and see which ones are weak in certain areas (defense, water, food, etc).

You know what that reminded me of? GTA! *very short vid*

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 16, 2015, 18:15 (3093 days ago) @ narcogen
edited by Funkmon, Monday, November 16, 2015, 18:18

It goes with what you were saying about them being RPGs. GTA San Andreas had gang wars that would show up when you were doing other stuff. I cared about them exactly as much as I cared about them in Fallout 4. I did the first one, then never did it again.

I couldn't care less about the settlements. Screw em. No water? I don't care. Go find some water. Not my job. I built up Sanctuary a bit, with a few prebuilt houses, a basketball court, a farm, et cetera, but the moment I had to build an important thing for the story, my first thought was "Fuck it. Put it right in the middle of town. I don't care." It caused caravans to glitch and blocked pathways, and I couldn't have cared less. There are not any spoilers that I know of here, other than there being one object you build late in the main quest.

After this, I quit bothering with the cities.

Some thoughts . . .

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 02:25 (3093 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'm currently about 17 hours into my play through. I've mainly focused on the main story quests, with the first few Minutemen and the very first Brotherhood of Steel quest thrown in, along with a few random ones and a few hours worth of settlement building.

I am in love with this game. As we've discussed in this thread, I don't get the complaints of it not being "next gen" enough. I think it's a perfect evolution of what we got with Fallout 3 (I never played New Vegas, so I can't comment on that). It feels so great to be back in the world of Fallout, and this game is packed with so much world building in almost every little corner. The crafting system fits in perfectly with the nature of the game and the world; making weapons and armor out of junk is just perfect. It doesn't feel shoehorned in like in some other games.

I really enjoy the settlement building aspect, too, although it is not explained very well (or at all). It took me ages to figure out how to make the Local Leader perk work for the supply runs and that you had to actually assign a person to make the runs. It also took me way longer than I'd like to admit that you can't break down all your junk into crafting components, and that it's done automatically just buying storing your junk in the workbenches. That said, the system is actually pretty deep, and I'm sure we'll see some amazing stuff out of it from the community. I haven't been too deep into it, yet, as I'm too eager to experience that real meat of the game.

Some other random thoughts:

-I keep accidentally activating my pip-boy because when I loot stuff, I still reflexively press 'B' to get out of that menu. It's really awesome that it's just a contextual menu that you can just walk away from, but I just can't break that habit!

-Radiation storms are freaking amazing. Seriously, probably one of the coolest effects I've seen in a game ever. Walking through Boston with a green fog, low visibility, and that awesome lightning sound . . . it's seriously creepy.

-I don't get what people are complaining about with the graphics, either. Sure, it's no Destiny, but I think it looks pretty damn good. The details might not look great individually, but the art design is so cohesive and damn near perfect that it looks great as a whole, I think. Plus, I think the Bethesda has done a pretty good job with the faces and facial expressions and animations in general, given what they're known for.

-I'm really digging the companions. I haven not spent a single moment alone, which is saying quite a bit considering that I NEVER used a companion in Skyrim because they were so bad. They still have the occasionally janky pathfinding, or lodge themselves in a doorway, but it's not enough to detract from how interesting they are. I love hearing their quips or finding out their backstories. Been rolling with Piper pretty much since I got to Diamond City, but I only have four of them, I think.

-Power Armor (as discussed in this thread) is awesome. I still only have the starting set, but since we talked about it, I've been using it quite a bit, and it's really fun. I explore without it (I don't have the cores for that!), but if I'm going into a place I feel like might be a tough fight, I go grab my Power Armor and then come back and wreck shit. It's a lot of fun, and a nice change of pace from my normally sneaky character.

Some thoughts . . .

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 04:26 (3093 days ago) @ cheapLEY

You know, the biggest next gen thing to me was eliminating button presses. Just being able to look things with no menu pop up was amazing to me. It was like "oh DAMN we're in the future."

Oblivion's graphics were unbelievably good, so that was "next gen," but looting stuff without a menu pop-up?! We've been looting people since the late nineties in the same way! Press button. Take stuff. Exit menu. Now we just take the stuff! It is a huge game changer for me.

And yeah, took me 35 hours to not whip out the pip boy every time.

As for the graphics, it looks fine to me. I'm hearing you only need a 2GB card for the ultra setting. I wonder if the low resolution textures may shorten the load times or something. Other high budget games on maximum settings usually require much more video RAM to hold the textures.

I don't like the radiation storms. They are nifty and add an interesting element to the game and the god rays are cool, but I don't like scary games, or things where it's hard to see. I hate feral ghouls.

I played for a little bit today, looking for the alien blaster you can see in loading screens. I found it, and then found a side quest involving a Chinese submarine. It only showed up because while I was swimming into the ocean away from raiders, I heard someone yell something. I then swam back and talked to him. This type of thing has happened a few times in the game, where you only get the quest by chance.

It feels like it has happened fewer times in Fallout 4 than Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Skyrim to me. Not sure if it means anything.

I also think that it would be cool if you could figure out if you have done all the quests or not in game. It might ruin the experience though. Not sure.

Some thoughts . . .

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 12:22 (3093 days ago) @ Funkmon

You know, the biggest next gen thing to me was eliminating button presses. Just being able to look things with no menu pop up was amazing to me. It was like "oh DAMN we're in the future."

Oblivion's graphics were unbelievably good, so that was "next gen," but looting stuff without a menu pop-up?! We've been looting people since the late nineties in the same way! Press button. Take stuff. Exit menu. Now we just take the stuff! It is a huge game changer for me.

I can agree with you, there. I'll be disappointed if I ever have to open a menu to loot something again.

I don't like the radiation storms. They are nifty and add an interesting element to the game and the god rays are cool, but I don't like scary games, or things where it's hard to see. I hate feral ghouls.

Feral ghouls are downright frightening now. I get where you're coming from, but I feel the opposite. I've always felt like Fallout would make a great horror game. It should be downright frightening to be picking through a destroyed city infested with ghouls and mutants, whereas it mostly comes off as sort of goofy. I mean, I love how light-hearted Fallout is overall, but I feel like running across a pack of feral ghouls during a radiation storms gives us a peek at what Fallout could be as a straight up horror game. The first quest to find the Railroad kinda hints at that, too, when you're creeping through the church.

I played for a little bit today, looking for the alien blaster you can see in loading screens. I found it, and then found a side quest involving a Chinese submarine. It only showed up because while I was swimming into the ocean away from raiders, I heard someone yell something. I then swam back and talked to him. This type of thing has happened a few times in the game, where you only get the quest by chance.

It feels like it has happened fewer times in Fallout 4 than Fallout 3, Oblivion, or Skyrim to me. Not sure if it means anything.

I also think that it would be cool if you could figure out if you have done all the quests or not in game. It might ruin the experience though. Not sure.

Yeah, this has always been one thing I've had really mixed feelings about. I think it's a great, natural feeling way to get quests, but I'm always worried that I'm missing out on great content because I wasn't in the exact right place to pick it up. Eventually I'm sure there will be a comprehensive guide or wiki.

Some thoughts . . .

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 14:23 (3093 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Feral ghouls are downright frightening now. I get where you're coming from, but I feel the opposite. I've always felt like Fallout would make a great horror game. It should be downright frightening to be picking through a destroyed city infested with ghouls and mutants, whereas it mostly comes off as sort of goofy. I mean, I love how light-hearted Fallout is overall, but I feel like running across a pack of feral ghouls during a radiation storms gives us a peek at what Fallout could be as a straight up horror game. The first quest to find the Railroad kinda hints at that, too, when you're creeping through the church.

I don't want to spoil anything, but something happened to me in a quarry/mine that ran along the same lines.

I'm safe in the light. I'm safe in the light. I'm safe in the light.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread