So how's the gaming coming along? (Gaming)

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 05:55 (3097 days ago)

While most people I know went and got Fallout, I've held off and instead bought Legacy of the Void. And so far it's been absolutely amazing. Some of Blizzard's best storytelling and writing, some really emotional and impactful things going on, and some pretty awesome gameplay and missions. Fallout's next up on my list, and I'm waiting to hear more on Battlefront. And don't even get me started on everything Nintendo just announced! I see a Wii U in my future in 2016.

So how's the gaming coming along?

by Quirel, Friday, November 13, 2015, 07:03 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

While most people I know went and got Fallout, I've held off and instead bought Legacy of the Void. And so far it's been absolutely amazing. Some of Blizzard's best storytelling and writing, some really emotional and impactful things going on, and some pretty awesome gameplay and missions.

=.0

I might have to check it out.

I just picked up Borderlands 2. Great game, even if the original had better art and guns. But the characters and the story are more than making up for it.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:16 (3097 days ago) @ Quirel

Cooooooorrect. The Pre Sequel is good, too, once you get past the first 5 hours.

Oh?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:28 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I've been slogging through the first 3 hours and pretty much gave up on it. Should I keep pushing it, then? Absolutely loved BL2, btw.

Oh?

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:44 (3097 days ago) @ ZackDark

Yeah. You get a vehicle that floats and the environments are better. The story is all right, too. The claptrap DLC is supposedly great, but I haven't progressed enough to play it. Nobody will play cooperatively with me.

XBL or PC?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 13:36 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Both.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:30 (3097 days ago) @ ZackDark

- No text -

Are you free this weekend?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:13 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I have it on Steam and would gladly suffer the first few hours with a buddy.

My Steam handle is the same as here.

Honestly? No.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, November 13, 2015, 14:56 (3097 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by ProbablyLast, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:00

I was a huge borderlands 2 fan and was really looking forward to the presequel. The game simply isn't good enough. I'm sure the story has it's charming moments, unfortunately it somehow plays worse than BL2 despite being basically the same game.

That said, if I ever find a group of 4 who want to run it on 360 with new characters, I'll get enough alcohol to make it tolerable.

Honestly? No.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:53 (3097 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

I was a huge borderlands 2 fan and was really looking forward to the presequel. The game simply isn't good enough. I'm sure the story has it's charming moments, unfortunately it somehow plays worse than BL2 despite being basically the same game.

That said, if I ever find a group of 4 who want to run it on 360 with new characters, I'll get enough alcohol to make it tolerable.

Wait, the presequel was on Xbox 360? News to me... The XBox one version was much better, but I know what you mean... it was just worse. And I had literally just played through BL2 with a friend and then we moved on to the presequal. And no, we haven't finished it yet :-)

Honestly? No.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:02 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

How far in did you get?

Honestly? No.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:04 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

How far in did you get?

Maybe half way? I honestly don't know. It felt like about half way.

Do you know what level?

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:17 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I swear, the second half of the game is much better.

Do you know what level?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:18 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I swear, the second half of the game is much better.

I would have to look. It's been a while and I might have deleted the game to make room for newer games.

Correct. Better than the first part, still not a good game.

by ProbablyLast, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:23 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 14:43 (3097 days ago) @ Quirel

The comedy in that game is top-notch. I knew it was going to be great as soon as I got to this part:

I remember watching some behind-the-scenes thing about BL2 where they said that the guy playing Handsome Jack ad-libbed the pretzels line.

By far my favorite Borderlands 2 Jack monologue

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:02 (3097 days ago) @ stabbim

I dunno, maybe you had to be there...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:17 (3096 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Hysterical. Honestly, BL2 could have been the worst game of all time mechanically, and it still would've been worth playing through just for the dialogue.

I dunno, maybe you had to be there...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:25 (3096 days ago) @ stabbim

Hysterical. Honestly, BL2 could have been the worst game of all time mechanically, and it still would've been worth playing through just for the dialogue.

And Tiny Tina... oh that girl. POP GOES THE BANDIT!!

Yeah, I totally agree, best dialogue in a game I've ever played.

I'm loving it.

by Quirel, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:09 (3092 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm going to say it right now, Lilith is awesome. Roland is awesome. Mordecai and Brick have yet to show up, but they're going to be awesome when they do.

Lilith and Roland are the characters I spent the most time playing in the original game, and I love them in the sequel. I love what the sequel did for them. The original was disappointing in the story department because I followed some of the promotional material and expected each of the characters to have their own little story arc. I don't think there was so much as a player-specific sidequest. The characterization is pretty much limited to:

• Lilith loves using her powers and enjoys killing things.
  • Roland is a gung-ho ex-Crimson Lance and enjoys killing things.
  • Mordecai cares for his bird and enjoys killing things.
  • Brick enjoys killing things. A lot.

These were blank-slate characters, just like the Rookie. Some stuff was planned, but it was abandoned while the game was still being developed. So far, Borderlands 2 has flawlessly succeeded in elevating these blank-slates into people I care for.

Anyhow, I'm starting to get disappointed with the guns in Borderlands 2. It's hard to find a good weapon that isn't a pistol, shotgun, or sniper rifle. On the other hand, Borderlands 2 has some downright loony weapons that I wouldn't give up for the world. Like those pistols that get more accurate the longer you fire them. Or the Tediore weapons that are thrown like a grenade when you reload. Or that shotgun that you throw like a grenade when you reload, and it slowly homes in on enemies, firing all the way.

I'm loving it.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:19 (3092 days ago) @ Quirel
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 19:23

I also highly recomend the DLC for Borderlands 2. ESPECIALLY Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. It's truly amazing. You probably don't know how Tiny Tina is right now... but you will and you will love her. She is probably my favorite NPC out of all Borderland NPC's

I also want to add that if you haven't completed Borderlands 2 DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER for Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep. It has some MAJOR spoilers.

I'm loving it.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 20:41 (3092 days ago) @ Quirel

Yup, BL2 fleshes out the characters from the first game in a big way. Much better story in general. Apparently some people really prefer BL1. I don't understand that at all.

Pro-tip: Play the DLCs. Hammerlock is kinda meh but the Torgue and Tiny Tina DLCs are fantastic.

Anyhow, I'm starting to get disappointed with the guns in Borderlands 2. It's hard to find a good weapon that isn't a pistol, shotgun, or sniper rifle. On the other hand, Borderlands 2 has some downright loony weapons that I wouldn't give up for the world. Like those pistols that get more accurate the longer you fire them. Or the Tediore weapons that are thrown like a grenade when you reload. Or that shotgun that you throw like a grenade when you reload, and it slowly homes in on enemies, firing all the way.

Many of the legendaries are extremely good. The shotgun you're thinking of is Deliverance. It was always one of my favorites. And unlike Destiny, they didn't get left behind after DLCs. I mean, you had to obtain them again which kind of sucked (no way to increase level on already-obtained drops), but at least they still existed.

What platform do you play this on?

I'm loving it.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 20:50 (3092 days ago) @ stabbim

(no way to increase level on already-obtained drops)

Heh. Hehehehe. Bless your heart.

Mordecai and Brick have yet to show up, but they're going to be awesome when they do.

Dude, you're in for a treat. Their introduction is even better than Roland's or Lilith's. Like, by several orders of magnitude.

BL1 guns are better.

by Funkmon @, Tuesday, November 17, 2015, 20:57 (3092 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Overall, maybe. But DPUH > every gun in either game.

by ProbablyLast, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 13:00 (3092 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

Sawbar or GTFO

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 21:33 (3091 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

- No text -

I like bad guns too.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 00:31 (3091 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

- No text -

+1

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, November 19, 2015, 02:27 (3091 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Go Slagga on co-op or go bust.

Slagga is good people. I liked that gun.

by Funkmon @, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 03:49 (3091 days ago) @ ZackDark

I want a slagga bitch.

Slagga + Krieg.

by ProbablyLast, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 13:06 (3091 days ago) @ ZackDark

Slag, activate rampage, watch everything explode.

Fools, all of you

by SonofMacPhisto @, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 21:45 (3090 days ago) @ ZackDark

Longbow slag singularity. Double longbow nuke turrets. Bee Shield. Sawbar. Max'd Metal Storm.

I have become death, destroyer of worlds.

"Double longbow turrets"

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 20, 2015, 01:50 (3090 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

DOUBLE NUKING ROCKET TWIN LONGBOW STICKY TURRETS OR GTFO!

Lol Commando

by ProbablyLast, Friday, November 20, 2015, 05:32 (3090 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto
edited by ProbablyLast, Friday, November 20, 2015, 05:43

- No text -

I'm not a subtle person ;)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 03:24 (3089 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

But I was nothing without my partner's slag-tastic res-crazy Siren. Not even joking.

Anything is better than a mechromancer.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 03:28 (3089 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Ugh.

Found the sucky Mechromancer...

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 12:23 (3089 days ago) @ ProbablyLast

Ugh.

Need to stop reloading so often, bro. ;)

Also, Commando with Longbow Nuke turret is best class...

Fools, all of you

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 20, 2015, 12:40 (3090 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Longbow slag singularity. Double longbow nuke turrets. Bee Shield. Sawbar. Max'd Metal Storm.

I have become death, destroyer of worlds.

Nahhh, it's all about The gun that does slag and electric damage with The Mechromancer with bouncy bullets and 400 stacks of damage. all you do is pull the trigger and spin in circles and everything dies around you.

I'm loving it.

by Quirel, Thursday, November 19, 2015, 04:02 (3091 days ago) @ stabbim

Yup, BL2 fleshes out the characters from the first game in a big way. Much better story in general. Apparently some people really prefer BL1. I don't understand that at all.

Pro-tip: Play the DLCs. Hammerlock is kinda meh but the Torgue and Tiny Tina DLCs are fantastic.

I will. The DLC for the first game was fantastic.

Many of the legendaries are extremely good. The shotgun you're thinking of is Deliverance. It was always one of my favorites. And unlike Destiny, they didn't get left behind after DLCs. I mean, you had to obtain them again which kind of sucked (no way to increase level on already-obtained drops), but at least they still existed.

So? Borderlands 1 had tons of guns that were fun to play around with, not just the Legendaries. I also like how the weapons had distinct classes and subclasses. You don't have to play it for long before you realized that handguns were divided into pistols and revolvers, each of which were subdivided into a variety of distinct groups, like mashers, machine pistols, etc. When you picked up a gun, you had a general idea of how it functioned.

This is less true for Borderlands 2. Or maybe I'm just imagining things. Oh, and I like how in Borderlands, the revolver weapon models accurately reflected how many shots you have.

What platform do you play this on?

PC.

Update.

by Quirel, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 07:28 (3089 days ago) @ Quirel

Bad Maw (And his merry midgets!) officially has the best entrance in the history of video games.

Wait until you get to Hammerlock's big game hunt.

by ProbablyLast, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 09:47 (3089 days ago) @ Quirel

Professor Nakayama. His entrance is really, really good.

I'm loving it.

by Phoenix_9286 @, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 01:23 (3092 days ago) @ Quirel

Mr. Torgue's Swordsplosion.

It's a shotgun that fires swords, that explode like grenades, but the explosions generate more swords, which also explode like grenades. The flavor text was something along the lines of "Yes, you can bring a knife to a gunfight." Most of the drops I've gotten were a piddly x1 or x2, so it'd only generate one or two projectiles, and thus wasn't worth using so much. Luckily, I did get one that was like, x5 or something. That was pure goddamn insanity, and for the better part of 10 levels, it shredded anything it was pointed at.

I'm also fond of the Babymaker. A Tediore SMG, so you throw it out and it explodes when you reload, except upon explosion it generates a number of tiny SMGs which also explode a moment later. They're randomly colored blue and pink.

And lastly, E-Tech guns are boss. The one Zed gives you for the introductory quest is garbage, 90% of the rest of them are glorious neon elemental death machines. Just beware how much ammo they use up.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 13, 2015, 08:00 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

While most people I know went and got Fallout, I've held off and instead bought Legacy of the Void. And so far it's been absolutely amazing. Some of Blizzard's best storytelling and writing, some really emotional and impactful things going on, and some pretty awesome gameplay and missions. Fallout's next up on my list, and I'm waiting to hear more on Battlefront. And don't even get me started on everything Nintendo just announced! I see a Wii U in my future in 2016.

Been playing Black Ops 3 almost nonstop (and Dragon Fin Soup). Put at least 30 hours into BO3's campaigns already, and the Multiplayer is pretty fun.

We're getting Battlefront for sure, and maybe Fallout at some point, since Chaos's stream had me impressed (considering I'm not a fan of the Fallout games).

Dragon Fin Soup is a great semi-turn-based game, and free on PS+ if you want to take a break from all of the shooters.

I am really wanting to get Rise of the Tomb Raider, but it's at the bottom of this season's backlog.

Also, I'm vaguely interested in playing Halo 5, but since the story is terrible, and I've only heard bad things about it from folks that I trust most, it kind of dialed my desire to get it to pretty much zero, but with the Forge releasing in about a month or so, my interest might rise again.

Too many games this season. My wallet!

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 11:19 (3097 days ago) @ Korny

You've put 30 hours into the campaign alone? How long does it take to beat? I remember being able to fly through one in about 5 hours it seems.

Maybe ultra high difficulty?

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:17 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

- No text -

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, November 13, 2015, 14:18 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos
edited by Korny, Friday, November 13, 2015, 14:29

You've put 30 hours into the campaign alone? How long does it take to beat? I remember being able to fly through one in about 5 hours it seems.

From what I've heard, it's taken reviewers anywhere from eight to eleven hours to beat the main campaign. It's pretty meaty (and heady). We started out on Realistic difficulty, so we probably spent closer to eighteen-twenty hours. We also spent a little while reading through the in-game Grimoire, playing the zombies mini game in the campaign, and trying to beat each other's score in the Survival Simulation between missions. There's... A lot to do.

After that, we started the second campaign, "Nightmares", which is a zombie version of the story campaign's levels. It has its own plot, which is done very well, considering that they had to reuse the same cutscenes and story encounters, but give them an entirely different context. We're also doing that on Realistic, and it's genuinely scary (that moment when you hear an exploding zombie scream right behind you). Here's our stream of the Zombie campaign (visual spoilers for the story campaign, though, because cutscenes). Skip to an hour and six minutes in to see Sammy and I tackle a non-spoilery room full of exploders. I made noises that I can't identify:

We haven't beaten it yet, but the other modes are fun enough to keep us from it; tough I have gone back through the story campaign's matchmaking to help Randoms get through the missions and find the collectibles that I missed, and it's neat to actually be able to survive more than one shot. :P

But yeah, it's a pretty massive game. Shame that you're getting it on Xbox. We would have loved to play with you, and I wouldn't be against going through the Realistic campaign again...

The usual high quality blizz fare. They did a great job!

by slycrel ⌂, Friday, November 13, 2015, 08:54 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 11:15 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

Been pretty much fallout here. Had to take a forced break last night and get a good 6 hours of sleep haha. Black Ops 3 is on my list for xbox one, I need my zombies fix. I have Battlefront Reserved for ps4 but may get xbox one instead to play with real friends.

truth be told, I will probably just play fallout for awhile. Battlefront will be great in the future, and all the people I play Black Ops with would be playing fallout anyway.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:36 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

Been playing a bunch of Rise of the Tomb Raider. I love it. I was a big fan of the 2013 TR, and I think this one is even better.

Put about 4 hours into AC Syndicate before giving up on it. It's really well done in a lot of ways, but it's not what I want from an AC game.

Battlefront will be next on my list, for sure.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:39 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

Yeah, I was disappointed that Legacy of the Void was coming out the same as Fallout. And when I had to choose I chose Fallout because I've had a huge disconnect with StarCraft recently (it might have been like the two year development period) But I really do love the games. I will eventually pick it up for sure. Maybe as a brake from Fallout :-D

I have a capable PC now. No extra games, way more work.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:41 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

The PC is really similar to the Digital Foundry budget PC build, so I use their videos to gauge performance of new games I might buy. The difference is I have an AMD quad core processor as opposed to an Intel i3. Due to how easy that is to do, if they build another one, I am going to upgrade my PC in the exact same way. That is, if I continue PC gaming.

I have to constantly adjust settings. That is lame. I heard about all these great PC titles out there, which is why I wanted the computer, but they're generally just crappy games. I mean, they'd be fine for 1998, but they just don't play as well as the big titles, and the big titles are all on console too. So I have to hunt for games I'd like to play.

Starcraft? Nope. Too complicated. Elder Scrolls online? Better on Xbox. Black Ops 3? Don't like CoD. Borderlands? No friends, no fun. Madden? Destiny? Halo? Tomb Raider? Console only.

I got Fallout 4 for the PC for mods, because I don't buy the Xbox mod thing. I used to have a lot of fun with Half-Life and Halo mods. But mods are fucking complicated now. How the hell do I work any of this shit? Just let me replace the textures.map file or something! Tried Skyrim for mods. Don't understand it. WHO DOES THIS? WHY WOULD YOU GAME ON THE PC? It's way more work for a negligible benefit.

Yes, you could get a bigger benefit. Buy a 140 HZ 4k monitor, a $280 graphics card, a $300 processor, and so on, and you get a slightly better looking game than what the Xbox has. And you also spent a thousand dollars and your own time looking shit up, researching, etc.

If you are on the fence about it, don't bother.

However, if you're buying a new PC anyway, order a $120 graphics card from Newegg or something and give it a go. You might like it as a hobby.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:43 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

I've always wanted to build my own computer but then it just seemed way to much effort for the benefits...

Also, if you hadn't figured it out, I'm a Mac guy so building a hackintosh is hella complicated so I didn't even bother.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 12:49 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

There are pretty simple hackintosh build guides that work pretty much right out of the box. I know because I actually "helped" my friend build one. That is, I ate pizza at his house during a hackintosh build party. What a lame fucking party. He also bought a 3d printer and had a 3d printer party and never printed anything. The 3d printer is still broken.

You could probably build a hackintosh very very easily because there are so many guides and it's so simple.

by TheeChaos @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 13:52 (3097 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I built my own/first computer last year. I thought I had enough knowledge to do it without googling anything, boy was I wrong. That being said, i was able to trade a laptop I wasnt using for 2 nvidia GTX 770s which is what sparked the build. When it was all said and done, i had about 2 grand in the computer (not at once, I am not well off by any means). The only things that I hand before were the RAM and CPU ( I pulled them from another PC I had bought).

It was a fun experience, and when I got it up and running I played on it hardcore for about 3 weeks, then slowly fell back to console. Now I have this badass computer (pretty lights and all) sitting in my room.

I started Fallout New Vegas up again a few weeks back. Definitely looked way better than console version, but it felt wierd. I guess outside of MMOs, I am a console man.

Long Story short, if you are on the fence play console. PS4 and Xbox One will be good for latest content for another 6 years or more at LEAST. Computers are always changing, and you will be pouring money in them all the time. At least with console, you pay the 400 dollars, and know that every game you buy for it will play at its optimal settings. and if not its the games fault, not your consoles. On PC its the opposite, which can get really annoying. Sometimes you will spend more time figuring out whats wrong with your PC than playing games.

Fixing the feeling weird thing.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:34 (3097 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I used to play FPSs the traditional way, but now I just plug in a controller.

Most games that can take controllers are set up FOR controllers, in my experience. Playing LIS on PC, for example, was exactly the same as playing it on Xbox, except it looked slightly better. Same for Pre Sequel.

+1, can confirm

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:15 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:24 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

I used to play FPSs the traditional way, but now I just plug in a controller.

Most games that can take controllers are set up FOR controllers, in my experience. Playing LIS on PC, for example, was exactly the same as playing it on Xbox, except it looked slightly better. Same for Pre Sequel.

The bolded is why I don't bother with spending a ton of money and building gaming PCs. I do prefer the mouse to the control pad for FPS, and obviously for something like Starcraft there is no contest, but the difference between a high end gaming PC and what I typically already have is very minimal. If it can hit 60fps at a reasonable amount of detail, it's good enough. Half the time I don't even see a difference between high and ultra. Diminishing returns are a huge thing with gaming PCs, and I'm happy I don't really bother.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:52 (3096 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It really depends on what types of games you're playing, and how willing to mod you are.

That's where the real graphical differences, come in. Skyrim with the proper mods looks 1000% better than on console. The same thing will happen with Fallout 4.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 10:47 (3095 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I've always wanted to build my own computer but then it just seemed way to much effort for the benefits...

Also, if you hadn't figured it out, I'm a Mac guy so building a hackintosh is hella complicated so I didn't even bother.

It's not that bad. It's gotten a lot better in recent years (although El Capitan is making some things more complicated again.)

There are some very detailed guides and if you follow them closely, it's not too bad.

At the end of the day, it isn't brain science, just rocket surgery.

My suggestion: Build a pc for pc games

by electricpirate @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:46 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

Some communities like to hype up PC as the uber console (cough Reddit cough),!but the real strength of the of is in its exclusives more than its ability to play AAA stuff at 60fps hi res .

Do you like big complex western RPGs?
Do you like crazy indies or pushing into early access?
Do you dig super hardcore mobas or fpses?
Do you like digging into classic stuff?

If you answered yes to 2 of those, a gaming rig is worth it imo. Even then you don't need 1500 dollar monster that curries favor with of elites, the best stuff on PC runs on lower end hardware.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:52 (3097 days ago) @ electricpirate

Quick question: this probably sounds stupid, but by western RPG, you mean NOT jRPG, right? I like cowboys and shit, I'd play a western RPG. Do these exist?

A Clint Eastwood based RPG? Hell Yes.

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:55 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by electricpirate @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:59 (3097 days ago) @ Funkmon

Haha yea stuff more like divinity or wasteland.

A western themed rpg sounds pretty amazin tho

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:18 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

While it's not an RPG, if you haven't played Red Dead Redemption, you need to. There's your western right there! It still might be the most fantastic game I've played in the past five years. And word is there's a sequel coming, and I'm very curious about that!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 10:49 (3095 days ago) @ Funkmon

Quick question: this probably sounds stupid, but by western RPG, you mean NOT jRPG, right? I like cowboys and shit, I'd play a western RPG. Do these exist?

Well, there's Red Dead Redemption.

Aside from statistics, it has always struck me that RDR and the GTA series are basically RPGs with levelling removed.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 15, 2015, 13:00 (3095 days ago) @ narcogen

Aside from statistics, it has always struck me that RDR and the GTA series are basically RPGs with levelling removed.

[image]

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:13 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon
edited by Avateur, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:28

Haha, I can't speak on the modding at all because I haven't tried it or any of those games for PC, believe it or not. I'm still debating with myself on whether to go with Fallout on Xbox or PC. I think Fallout for PC would require a GPU upgrade, but that's it. I can hit the minimum reqs still, and my build is years old.

I get what you're saying about certain builds, especially with how technology leaps ahead while the consumer tries to play keep-up to run newer things. I purchased all the parts and built my comp myself back in 2011 or 2012, and I built it to be as future-proof as possible. I can still do Legacy of the Void on Ultra settings without any slowdown or hiccup. One BIOS upgrade and I can bump my RAM to 32GB and upgrade to a 22nm processor, too. It's really just the GPU holding me back at this point from running nearly everything out right now solidly.

Going back to Fallout, I don't know if I care that much about the graphics to upgrade my GPU at the moment. I think I'd enjoy it just fine while meeting the minimum reqs, and I'd get the added bonus of what I enjoy about PC gaming that the Xbox wouldn't deliver for me. But then again, I have a much bigger TV than I do for a monitor, and gaming on my Xbox tends to be more comfortable over long periods of time, so who knows! Lots of potential tradeoffs depending upon comp build, comfort, preference, etc.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:19 (3096 days ago) @ Avateur

What GPU do you have?

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:27 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

A 2GB MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II. I love it to death.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:41 (3096 days ago) @ Avateur

Oh you're fine. I promise. It's not a resource hog. You'll be able to run it at 1080p with the settings on high.

Black ops 3, on the other hand, no. But Fallout, yes.

The way Bethesda games work makes me think RAM is the key

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 21:44 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

Not even CPU, just raw RAM really.

I mean, you're never really being swarmed by stuff, the physics engine isn't that elaborate. Really, it's just about cramming as much information and low-res items into the memory as possible.

The way Bethesda games work makes me think RAM is the key

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 12:36 (3092 days ago) @ ZackDark

Not even CPU, just raw RAM really.

I mean, you're never really being swarmed by stuff, the physics engine isn't that elaborate. Really, it's just about cramming as much information and low-res items into the memory as possible.

Yeah. I totally agree with this. They just try to get as many objects into a single loaded section. In fallout they must have an entire team that just populates the word with junk and tries to make it look as authentic as possible.

It's not.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 13, 2015, 15:16 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

Taking a break.

It's not.

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:59 (3096 days ago) @ Kermit

Any new games on your list for when your break is over? :D

Mirror's Edge Catalyst, Uncharted 4.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 13, 2015, 19:56 (3096 days ago) @ Avateur

- No text -

If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have played the first ME.

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 20:03 (3096 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm pretty excited for it.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 13, 2015, 21:14 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

The demo at PAX seemed to be more of the same except prettier. (More of the same is good in my book.)

My only disappointment was that I lost my sense of direction and ended up getting back to the starting point before it was over.

Wait, it was playable by visitors?

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2015, 21:46 (3096 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

Wait, it was playable by visitors?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 13, 2015, 21:57 (3096 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

Yes, playable on the show floor--a small slice, mainly a lot of freerunning across rooftops. There were a few new moves, but I didn't have time to get the hang of them.

I'm unbelievably jealous. You monster.

by someotherguy, Hertfordshire, England, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 14:16 (3096 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 14, 2015, 05:18 (3096 days ago) @ Funkmon

Well, I'm happy for you that you got on board that train. A few small flaws aside, Mirror's Edge was a real gem.

pretty low key

by electricpirate @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 16:38 (3097 days ago) @ Avateur

Not much time between 2 jobs and a toddler.

Some mobile stuff, monument valley and alto adventure on the subway.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Friday, November 13, 2015, 17:49 (3096 days ago) @ Avateur

While most people I know went and got Fallout, I've held off and instead bought Legacy of the Void. And so far it's been absolutely amazing. Some of Blizzard's best storytelling and writing, some really emotional and impactful things going on, and some pretty awesome gameplay and missions.

This is high praise, especially since Wing of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were poor in this regard. I'd kind of given up after Heart of the Swarm… should I give this a shot?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:00 (3096 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is high praise, especially since Wing of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were poor in this regard. I'd kind of given up after Heart of the Swarm… should I give this a shot?

Yeah, I thought the games were good-ish, but not good enough that they warranted an entire game instead of an expansion.

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:03 (3096 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Wings of Liberty is a full game at $60. Heart of the Swarm and Legacy of the Void are expansions with about as much content as full games, but all for $40. Heart of the Swarm was pretty disappointing in a lot of ways, but Legacy has been fantastic.

by Avateur @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:02 (3096 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Granted, I don't think I've hit the halfway point in the game yet, but I definitely would give it a shot. The forced love story and a lot of other weirdness that they'd done in Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were a bit offputting, but the Protoss's story has always been that sort of main thread that went unanswered after BW. Duran making hybrids, Xeratul finding it, some endless doom coming. It's been really good up to this point, and I haven't been disappointed one bit. Also there's this new Archon mode that's super fun. Two people controlling the same base and working together and such. It's been enjoyable!

by General Battuta, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 01:05 (3092 days ago) @ Avateur

Granted, I don't think I've hit the halfway point in the game yet, but I definitely would give it a shot. The forced love story and a lot of other weirdness that they'd done in Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm were a bit offputting, but the Protoss's story has always been that sort of main thread that went unanswered after BW. Duran making hybrids, Xeratul finding it, some endless doom coming. It's been really good up to this point, and I haven't been disappointed one bit. Also there's this new Archon mode that's super fun. Two people controlling the same base and working together and such. It's been enjoyable!

Starcraft hasn't had a good story since it stopped being about people with incompatible but comprehensible agendas fighting each other and started being about prophecies and destiny.

by Avateur @, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 02:03 (3092 days ago) @ General Battuta

Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm hardly deal with destiny and fate while trying to shoehorn together forced character relationships and agendas that never previously existed and didn't work out even if you run with it. Legacy of the Void has done a really good job with character interaction while, for the most part, staying true to the characters and situations. As for destiny and all that, well, that's the Protoss for you. Not sure if you've played Legacy of the Void, but a lot of it has to do with the concept of fate and how that concept doesn't necessarily mean anything or leave you beholden to whatever. Also, the missions are really fun! :D

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, November 18, 2015, 12:34 (3092 days ago) @ Avateur

Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm hardly deal with destiny and fate while trying to shoehorn together forced character relationships and agendas that never previously existed and didn't work out even if you run with it. Legacy of the Void has done a really good job with character interaction while, for the most part, staying true to the characters and situations. As for destiny and all that, well, that's the Protoss for you. Not sure if you've played Legacy of the Void, but a lot of it has to do with the concept of fate and how that concept doesn't necessarily mean anything or leave you beholden to whatever. Also, the missions are really fun! :D

Yeah, I thought the missions were top notch. They really incorporated a lot of non-melee style stuff into the basic build units and kill shit.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 13, 2015, 18:20 (3096 days ago) @ Avateur

Due to financial uncertainty (recently bought a house and am spending way too much money on fix items/maintenance), I had to make a decision between Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider, which sucks because I was very excited about both of them. In the end I went with Fallout, not because I think I'll necessarily like it more, but because I'll definitely get more mileage out of it. And while I do regret not playing Tomb Raider yet, Fallout has been fantastic. It's improved over its predecessors in almost every way, especially in the basic movement and shooting mechanics.

I'm also still playing Forza 6 pretty frequently, but then I never actually stop playing a Forza game. I was still playing 5 right up until 6 launched.

Hoping to get in on Tomb Raider soon. Will have to see how fast I can pay down the repair bills.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2015, 22:36 (3096 days ago) @ stabbim

Due to financial uncertainty (recently bought a house and am spending way too much money on fix items/maintenance), I had to make a decision between Fallout 4 and Tomb Raider, which sucks because I was very excited about both of them. In the end I went with Fallout, not because I think I'll necessarily like it more, but because I'll definitely get more mileage out of it. And while I do regret not playing Tomb Raider yet, Fallout has been fantastic. It's improved over its predecessors in almost every way, especially in the basic movement and shooting mechanics.

I'm also still playing Forza 6 pretty frequently, but then I never actually stop playing a Forza game. I was still playing 5 right up until 6 launched.

We've talked about before, but man I still need to put more time into Forza 6. It's just getting more difficult with this release schedule! I know I'll put time into it eventually, likely after Christmas when I've finished up Fallout and Tomb Raider. Forza is a great fallback game to have.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread