A Question About A Disc (Gaming)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:16 (3088 days ago)

I bought a used game at a store(I'm not going to tell you the name of the game, lest I get bombarded with opinions and an epic thread derailment--I'll just say it's an Xbox game compatible with the 360), and it was one of those No-Refund type deals(Yes, I'm a sucker). Honestly, I was just happy to have it. Anyway, about two or three levels in, the disc freezes. I can only assume it's a scratch, since it's fairly old and pretty fairly used as well. So I go to a disc cleaning place and have it professionally cleaned. I bring it back home, and the level I was stuck on earlier now works fine....until the next level froze. Concerned, I took it back the next day and had it cleaned again. Surprisingly, the same thing happened--that level played smoothly and the next one froze up!

Ready for the twist? The disc was perfectly clean and scratch-less from the day I bought it.

I'm tempted to have the guy clean it 14 more times in a row for each remaining level(stupid, I know), but I found out there's another option. There's a new copy that's selling online for $70. So the reason I'm asking for some advice here is because I don't know if it's the disc giving me trouble, or something wrong with the console, since it's a Backwards game? If it's the disc, I can buy the new copy without worry, but if it's the console and I spend that amount of money I probably won't be able to get back, that would be really terrible!

How would I know which piece of the puzzle is at fault?

A Question About A Disc

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:29 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

What exactly happens when it freezes? Is it a hard lock where literally nothing moves on the screen anymore? Or is it more like you're stuck at a loading screen, where some loading animation is still playing, but it never finishes loading? Can you hear the disc drive making any noises at the time?

You could try playing it in a different 360 if that's available.

I don't know if there are any justifiable objections with an original XBox game bought used. None of them are being sold via regular retail anymore, right? I mean, the copies being sold new right now probably are "new" in that they haven't been opened, but they've long since left their original retailer. I don't think anyone's missing out on royalties anymore.

A Question About A Disc

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:48 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

Play it on the Xbox One. Isn't that why you bought it?

I'm pretty sure the disc only gets checked at start up.

A Question About A Disc

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:53 (3088 days ago) @ Kermit

Play it on the Xbox One. Isn't that why you bought it?

I'm pretty sure the disc only gets checked at start up.

Or maybe you are playing it on the Xbone. I can't tell. Also don't understand when you say it's fairly used, and then you basically say it's mint.

My point is, though, if you're playing it on the Xbone, I doubt it's the disc. If you're playing it on the Xbone, that means you successfully installed the game from your disc to the Xbone's drive. I would expect it to run from your drive.

I believe he's talking about an orignal Xbox game

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Friday, November 20, 2015, 20:55 (3088 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Xenos Is Right--My Mistake.(Replies)

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, November 20, 2015, 21:39 (3088 days ago) @ Xenos

It's an original Xbox 1 game that I'm attempting to play on my 360.

Stabbim, in response to your question, it's a hard stop--coincidentally at the loading screens. I don't think it makes any sounds(I haven't paid attention last time, I'll try it tonight). If it does, I'm pretty sure I don't hear them.

To Kermit's reply--my statement about the disc was indeed a little broad, so I should elaborate--I automatically said "fairly used" simply because it is an 11-year old game. I don't know if the previous owner used it non-stop or if they only played it once, if at all. I just figured if it was sitting on a shelf or on the bedroom floor or etc. for that amount of time, I figured it would have its marks and nicks. It was wrong of me to say "perfectly clean", though. That was an exaggeration on my part--upon closer inspection, there seems to be some smudge around the inner rings of the disc--not fingerprints, but something that can leave some type of residue. But other than that, the disc has no visible scratches. Unless the cleaner is missing(or leaving) those rings himself, it must be from normal wear and tear.

Looking at the disc, those center smudges are the only thing I can think of that might cause problems.

I'll try playing it again tonight and see what results.

Is it Halo 2?

by Funkmon @, Friday, November 20, 2015, 23:25 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Nope, it's definitely Fusion Frenzy.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 23, 2015, 13:43 (3086 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:21 (3086 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Oh no, if it was Fuzion Frenzy I'd be proud of it--that game was awesome.

Well, advice has been dispensed-- I guess I could reveal it now…

It's Shadow the Hedgehog. I don't really play it that often, since it was part of the Middle-Gen Homing Attack Massacre, but I need to record myself doing Cosmic Fall, the 21st level(4-6 cleanings to go) and that's what's keeping me from getting there.

Ain't fun.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:25 (3086 days ago) @ Morpheus

Oh no, if it was Fuzion Frenzy I'd be proud of it--that game was awesome.

Now they just need to make a Fuzion Frenzy 3 for XBone...

Well, advice has been dispensed-- I guess I could reveal it now…

It's Shadow the Hedgehog. I don't really play it that often, since it was part of the Middle-Gen Homing Attack Massacre, but I need to record myself doing Cosmic Fall, the 21st level(4-6 cleanings to go) and that's what's keeping me from getting there.

Ain't fun.

I'm assuming that's a Sonic game? Never heard of it :-)

But yeah, that does suck. Good luck man.

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:39 (3086 days ago) @ Morpheus

My god, man. Are you doing speedruns of it?

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:14 (3085 days ago) @ Funkmon

My god, man. Are you doing speedruns of it?

NO...

jerk.

The reason I need that particular level is because: Finality, my greatest project ever--needs a credits sequence, and this is one of the levels I need to make it happen.

I think at this point what I need to do is buy a composite to HDMI converter and use an original Xbox 1 on it or something.

Almost certainly the 360 BC then.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:05 (3086 days ago) @ Morpheus

A damn quick google search tells me the damn emulation for this damn game crashes all the damn time.

Almost certainly the 360 BC then.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, November 23, 2015, 18:02 (3085 days ago) @ uberfoop

Yeah, stop getting the disc cleaned. It's probably not doing anything. You might just have to keep re-trying some levels.

My money is on Burger King's Big Bumpin'

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:24 (3085 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

[image]

Oops, just realized this is already a 360 game. Oh well, nostalgia.

My eyes hurt now

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:25 (3085 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

One of the best free games of all time.

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:42 (3085 days ago) @ red robber

- No text -

Actually, It Was $3 With A Meal.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, November 23, 2015, 17:15 (3085 days ago) @ Funkmon

- No text -

I stole mine.

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 18:09 (3085 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

A Question About A Disc

by Earendil, Friday, November 20, 2015, 21:40 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

Did the 360 have the option to copy the entire game to disc? Is so, I'd try that if you have the space. When doing a file copy there is sometimes more error correction, and the machine may make several attempts to get past a hard to read spot on the disc. Conversely, a live copy as the game is playing may not spend much time and simply error out.

A Question About A Disc

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 01:07 (3088 days ago) @ Earendil

Actually, yes it does. But I don't think that option is available for Original XBox games, just native 360 games.

A Question About A Disc

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Friday, November 20, 2015, 21:55 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

If i'm not mistaken most of the "cleaning of CDs" is actually abrasion to remove a bottom layer. You may not want to keep repeating the process if this is what he is doing.

A Question About A Disc

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 01:08 (3088 days ago) @ Vortech

That is correct. It's probably more accurate to call it polishing or buffing than cleaning.

Test Update

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 02:56 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

Ok, tried it again tonight--I started the game with all sounds turned off. The disc/Xbox made no noise throughout, even when it froze. I noticed something that might isolate the issue--pressing eject didn't fix anything (i.e. kick me out to the dashboard) and when I turned it off, the picture remained for a few seconds before complying.

And stabbim was right, no installs.

Test Update

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 04:04 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

My guess is the lockups have nothing to do with the disc and more to do with the emulator just being kind of shitty. Some BC games are less stable than others. Save often!

A Question About A Disc

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 04:39 (3088 days ago) @ Morpheus

How would I know which piece of the puzzle is at fault?

Are you sure the emulation for this game is actually any good? Official Microsoft support doesn't imply that a product functions to an appreciable degree when it comes to oXbox BC on 360.

^this

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 11:37 (3088 days ago) @ uberfoop

Some games just didn't work well in emulation.

Google it.

Sorry I misunderstood before.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread