Happiest of birthdays to Wu! (DBO)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 11:16 (3078 days ago)

Have shiny, happy fun today.

Happy BDay!

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 13:19 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Happy birthday!

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 14:39 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Its Claude's birthday again?!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 15:59 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

He sure seems to have a lot of those lately ;)

Happy birthday Claude! All the best.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 16:11 (3078 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Well... The one constant through all the years, Cruel, has been baseball Claude's birthday. :)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 17:54 (3078 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

He sure seems to have a lot of those lately ;)

ZOMG HE IS SO OLD.

I know, right?

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 18:25 (3078 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I think he has more birthdays than anyone else.

;-)

Happy Birthday, Claude! Hope you have a grand time!

Happy birthday!

by Pfhrogblast, Finland, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 17:18 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Happy Birthday.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 17:37 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

I didn't get you anything.

Another birthday song.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 19:07 (3078 days ago) @ Kermit

NSFW

Happy birthday!

Didn't think it was possible.Do numbers really go that high?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 22:01 (3077 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]
;)

Only until Bungie nerfs Claude's age.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 23:13 (3077 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

They'd have to bring Zero up to 35 to even it out.

by Funkmon @, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 23:20 (3077 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

Theoretically, yes.

by Quirel, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 07:04 (3077 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Knuth's up-arrow notation can just about handle Wu's age. =P

Math question

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 17:09 (3077 days ago) @ Quirel

I never got far enough in math to learn this stuff on my own. I was briefly introduced to that once by a math grass student in a physics class. My question that he couldn't answer, and that I can't answer myself after checking the wikipedia page, is why not just use exponents?

Math question

by Quirel, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 19:32 (3077 days ago) @ Funkmon

I never got far enough in math to learn this stuff on my own. I was briefly introduced to that once by a math grass student in a physics class. My question that he couldn't answer, and that I can't answer myself after checking the wikipedia page, is why not just use exponents?

I'm not sure myself. I think it might have a lot to do with computing, since Donald Knuth is a computer scientist and specialized in computational algorithms. Or it might simply be more intuitive to read or type with a keyboard.

Once you understand the system, 3(Arrow)(Arrow)4 is a lot easier to grasp than 3^7625597484987.

Math question

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 19:40 (3077 days ago) @ Quirel

I'm not sure myself. I think it might have a lot to do with computing, since Donald Knuth is a computer scientist and specialized in computational algorithms. Or it might simply be more intuitive to read or type with a keyboard.

Once you understand the system, 3(Arrow)(Arrow)4 is a lot easier to grasp than 3^7625597484987.

Yeah, but surely it's identical to just saying 3^3^3^3.

That said, I just read the article again for about 15 minutes. The utility appears to be when that second number increases. For example, 3 arrow arrow arrow arrow arrow 76.

I don't like mathematics with no applicability to physics, and with the number of atoms being approximately 10^80, I saw no utility in the notation.

Do computers use numbers this large very often?

Short answer is no, AFAIK

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Sunday, November 22, 2015, 22:12 (3076 days ago) @ Funkmon

Computers can only handle mathematical operations up to a point (and even before that point, there are big limitations in how large one operator is compared to the other).

I mean, you can certainly visualize larger numbers at will, but the computer won't do anything with it.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 05:13 (3075 days ago) @ ZackDark

Computers can only handle mathematical operations up to a point

I mean, you can certainly visualize larger numbers at will, but the computer won't do anything with it.

There's nothing in particular preventing you from representing huge numbers on a computer. Such representations couldn't be used "natively" in the execution units, but it's not like the human brain has streamlined up-arrow registers and execution pipelines either.

Speed is a potential issue if you're going reeeaaaaallllyyyy big and need an exact answer, but with billions of 64-bit ops per second available, you can get a decent amount of work done in reasonable time.

(and even before that point, there are big limitations in how large one operator is compared to the other).

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here.

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 20:18 (3075 days ago) @ uberfoop

There's nothing in particular preventing you from representing huge numbers on a computer. Such representations couldn't be used "natively" in the execution units, but it's not like the human brain has streamlined up-arrow registers and execution pipelines either.

That's what I meant.

Speed is a potential issue if you're going reeeaaaaallllyyyy big and need an exact answer, but with billions of 64-bit ops per second available, you can get a decent amount of work done in reasonable time.

And that is the long answer. :p

(and even before that point, there are big limitations in how large one operator is compared to the other).

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to here.

Was talking about how you can't sum 2e63 with 2e-63 and have the answer in a single byte without losing precision, even when the system is capable of storing up to 2e63 and down to 2e-63.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 21:47 (3074 days ago) @ ZackDark
edited by uberfoop, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 22:11

Was talking about how you can't sum 2e63 with 2e-63 and have the answer in a single byte without losing precision, even when the system is capable of storing up to 2e63 and down to 2e-63.

RIP mantissa D:

Math question

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 19:34 (3077 days ago) @ Funkmon

Certain numbers, like Graham's number, are too big to even be represented with exponents.

Math is weird.

by Funkmon @, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 19:46 (3077 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

The grim reaper stares on in disbelief

by breitzen @, Kansas, Saturday, November 21, 2015, 22:46 (3077 days ago) @ Kermit

Pretty soon you'll have the age pre-requisite met to take his job!

Happy Birthday Mr. Claude.

Thanks to everyone!

by Claude Errera @, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 00:56 (3077 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, except for people who make age jokes.

Oh, wait, that was ALL OF YOU

(Been a good day. :) Far from home, on the east coast… coming to an end... )

Hey I didn't old man!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 02:47 (3077 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Oops.

Happy Birthday, Claude!

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 02:23 (3077 days ago) @ Kermit

How much do you want to bet that P.A. message won't go off at all? ;-)

Happiest of birthdays to Wu!

by red robber @, Crawfish Country, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 02:48 (3077 days ago) @ Kermit

I heard your birthday message in the tower about a week ago. I'm just wondering when I'm gonna hear mine.

Happy B-day Claude. Thanks for setting all this up over the years.

Happy 50th!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Sunday, November 22, 2015, 23:54 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

Since Mig posted the thing already, I figured I'm now safe to post our contribution separately.

Happy Birthday, Claude!

LOL

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 00:14 (3076 days ago) @ narcogen

"I wish I was my titan."

Great video.

Perfect!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:51 (3076 days ago) @ narcogen

- No text -

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 23, 2015, 05:22 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

So the announcement in the tower is actually correct for once. Happy bday!

Mig's video

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, November 23, 2015, 14:47 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

This really should be archived. Cool to see all the peeps!

Well Done Mig.

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, November 23, 2015, 15:09 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

my contribution

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Monday, November 23, 2015, 15:51 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

In case ppl were wondering why there was a random guy holding a tuba in the vid:

my contribution

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 16:41 (3076 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

Oh, man! That's awesome.

Can you do the rest of the song? :D

Holy cow, that was awesome

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Monday, November 23, 2015, 23:50 (3075 days ago) @ Kermit

Hope you had a good one, big guy

Mig's video

by MartyTheElder, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 01:28 (3075 days ago) @ Kermit

Wow, thanks to Nico, my 91 year old father got to say happy birthday too!

(For all you youngsters out there, he's the voice of the surly dwarf, and we just watched the Seahawks beat the 49's yesterday!)

+1

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 09:24 (3075 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

- No text -

Mig's video

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 13:26 (3075 days ago) @ MartyTheElder

Wow, thanks to Nico, my 91 year old father got to say happy birthday too!

(For all you youngsters out there, he's the voice of the surly dwarf, and we just watched the Seahawks beat the 49's yesterday!)

Spectacular.

This is really cool.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Wednesday, November 25, 2015, 16:32 (3074 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Birthdays; the STD that keeps on giving (Many more, Claude!)

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday, November 23, 2015, 18:30 (3076 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

by nico, Monday, November 23, 2015, 21:21 (3075 days ago) @ Kermit

Louis Wu is the kindest, bravest, warmest, most wonderful human being I've ever known in my life

by Funkmon @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 22:49 (3075 days ago) @ nico

[image]

You're being nice so he doesn't put sugar in your gas tank

by Up North 65 @, Monday, November 23, 2015, 22:55 (3075 days ago) @ nico

- No text -

Remember...

by Robot Chickens, Tuesday, November 24, 2015, 20:49 (3075 days ago) @ nico

This happened:

[image]

Still, happy belated birthday.

Back to the forum index