More E3 News

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 06:05 (3964 days ago)

Dance party!

https://vine.co/v/blHBMemqrXL

Polygon interviews Pete parsons

http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/12/4424380/e3-2013-day-2-live-destiny-quantum-break-call-of-duty-ghosts (Starts at the 30 minute mark)

Two interesting things:

* Weapons are hand balanced, no procedural generation of guns
* The description of public spaces as crossroads with the intent to get players playing together.

More E3 News

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 06:29 (3963 days ago) @ electricpirate

I'm intrigued by the "people watch" comment. I might enjoy doing that. But what's to keep me from stealing unearned loot?

More E3 News

by electricpirate @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 06:39 (3963 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm intrigued by the "people watch" comment. I might enjoy doing that. But what's to keep me from stealing unearned loot?

It's a private loot stream, so it's impossible :).

More E3 News

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 08:03 (3963 days ago) @ electricpirate

I should have said getting unearned loot. No matter, I'm playing the game, right?

More E3 News

by Claude Errera @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 08:23 (3963 days ago) @ Kermit

I should have said getting unearned loot. No matter, I'm playing the game, right?

I asked about this, in a roundabout way (I think my question was more along the lines of "are loot drops after battles proportional to the work you did?") and while I didn't get an answer, I got the IMPRESSION that you get what you get just for being there. So yeah, watching is good.

More E3 News

by mnemesis, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:02 (3963 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I asked about this, in a roundabout way (I think my question was more along the lines of "are loot drops after battles proportional to the work you did?") and while I didn't get an answer, I got the IMPRESSION that you get what you get just for being there. So yeah, watching is good.

Pete mentioned to me that you would have to ping the enemy to be included in the looting.

More E3 News

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:04 (3963 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That's very interesting... in some ways, it opens the possibility to approach the game from a completely different angle: as a scavenger. I wonder if we'll see players who base their entire playstyle on stealthily following the action from a distance, staying close while avoiding attention? Very interesting indeed.

More E3 News

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:41 (3963 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

That's very interesting... in some ways, it opens the possibility to approach the game from a completely different angle: as a scavenger. I wonder if we'll see players who base their entire playstyle on stealthily following the action from a distance, staying close while avoiding attention? Very interesting indeed.

I concur. I understand that this is just an impression and all but I must say I would find this very surprising if true.

I'm going to reference history because its what instantly thought of when reading what Wu mentioned. It sums up the context of my concerns.

In Feudal Japan - after battle a Samurai would often need to bring a head to prove to the Lord he served that he (or she) had fought in battle so that they could be paid for the deed. After a time some Samurai got wise and would come to a battlefield after the fighting was at an end - cut off a head on a dead body - and go to get there reward.

This later resulted in the odd practices "Formal Head Viewing" to prove that the head cut off was indeed alive when it happened. *Ech*

The Point?: If this mechanic in Destiny is just based on a moment of participation in a event - then the "glory" of that event may risk being diluted by those who want the reward without the work.

That kind of oversight doesn't sound like Bungie to me, nor the type of game they want to make.

More E3 News

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, June 14, 2013, 02:22 (3963 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I find the idea of being involved in a brutal take down of a spider tank and noticing a few pot shots come in from a distance interesting.

I wander a way with my hard earned loot which I appreciate and see a weaker player scurry in a pick up something valuable for myself, I'll salute them, and disappear over the horizon ready to dive into more action with my fireteam.

If I find someone gloating about some gear they have in a "look at how awesome I am" way, I hope there's a shrug emote.

Ryan McCaffrey is in love

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 08:51 (3963 days ago) @ electricpirate

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:07 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I was excited in this article by what he said excited him the most: how open world it is. The only thing I'm curious about is if the world is completely contiguous. For example, if I am in the ruins of Seattle, can I walk (or drive in my Sparrow) to Chicago? That would truly be amazing.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:10 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

I was excited in this article by what he said excited him the most: how open world it is. The only thing I'm curious about is if the world is completely contiguous. For example, if I am in the ruins of Seattle, can I walk (or drive in my Sparrow) to Chicago? That would truly be amazing.

My guess is no. I believe it was Pete who talked about the destinations in Destiny being up to 2/3 the size of Halo Reach (not quite sure HOW big that is). Methinks that each of those locations, Old Russia, the Chicago swamplands, etc. is it's own destination, and we fly, rather than walk, between them. If this is the case, I wonder if there are multiple destinations on the other planets as well.

Multiple discs :(

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:19 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I believe it was Pete who talked about the destinations in Destiny being up to 2/3 the size of Halo Reach (not quite sure HOW big that is).

I'm just being logical here, but I think Destiny will have to be on more than one disc. At least on the older platforms.

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:28 (3963 days ago) @ Kermit

I believe it was Pete who talked about the destinations in Destiny being up to 2/3 the size of Halo Reach (not quite sure HOW big that is).

I'm just being logical here, but I think Destiny will have to be on more than one disc. At least on the older platforms.

I think you are right, but is that a big problem? It seems to me that all you need to do is download the one disc to the hard-drive, like with Halo 4, and then play the game with the other disc. Hopefully it won't be a "To go to Mars, insert disc 2" scenario. However, I don't know a lot about the technical side of gaming, so please enlighten me if I'm wrong :)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:30 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Well that didn't work with the Mass Effects... :(

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:34 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Moment of shame

I haven't played the Mass Effect series, so I don't know what you are referring to. I tried out the first one for a little while, but couldn't quite get into it at the time and I haven't checked it out since.

by marmot 1333 @, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:49 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

In ME2 & ME3, you'll be playing along, go to launch a mission, and it will say "Insert Disc 2", then you have to get off the couch and do it.

As far as I know, Halo 4 is the only 360 game that allowed you to do the 'install and then not use the disc again' technique.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:50 (3963 days ago) @ marmot 1333

allowed

Forced me into it, and I didn't have the hard drive space!

Thanks!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 09:51 (3963 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:59 (3963 days ago) @ marmot 1333

I suspect Destiny will require multiple discs on the 360, if what we've heard about the size of the environments is true.

I hope they will at least give us the option to install the extra discs to our hard drives to prevent the need to swap discs.

Forza too

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:34 (3963 days ago) @ marmot 1333

- No text -

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:52 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Moment of shame

I haven't played the Mass Effect series, so I don't know what you are referring to. I tried out the first one for a little while, but couldn't quite get into it at the time and I haven't checked it out since.

You might want to give it a shot. I bought the first one because it seemed to have a good sci fi premise, but I couldn't get into it.

Reading about how they improved Mass Effect 2 made me go back and force myself to overcome the learning curve of resource management and awkward gunplay, and I found I really enjoyed ME1. I brought my Shepherd into ME2 and it was awesome. I liked it so much I went back and started a new Shepherd in ME1 just so I could have the whole experience again, and I've bought and played every DLC up to Mass Effect 3. Mass Effect 3 was even better (mechanics-wise, at least).

I still haven't brought my second Shep through ME3 and the DLC, but I'm looking forward to it.

Kerm

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:08 (3963 days ago) @ Kermit

I skipped ME1 and started with 2, which still stands as my all time favorite videogame. 3 is great as well. I recently went back and tried to play ME1. The story is great, but the gameplay is tough to enjoy after all the improvements in 2 and 3.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:16 (3963 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

1 is neat because it has a different RPG feel. You can win by blazing away, or you can do cool things like limit an enemy's ability to fire, or stop them from using abilities. I enjoyed that aspect and it went away in favor of generally much better gunplay.

Bungie.org Game Night?

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:23 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

We should try doing ME3 multiplayer sometime in a Bungie.org game night.

Inb4

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:41 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

Thanks!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:48 (3963 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

- No text -

Inb4

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 13:27 (3963 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Gah, really need to start using this more. So many games that sit neglected due to lack of partners.

Inb4

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 14:50 (3963 days ago) @ Chewbaccawakka

lol it's just another channel to connect with bros.

I honestly have been neglecting it to finish some single player games.

Indeed.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 13:51 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

- No text -

I can't stop watching the dance emote.

by SigbiasSilva @, West Midlands, England, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:20 (3963 days ago) @ electricpirate

Dance party!

https://vine.co/v/blHBMemqrXL

SO GOOD.

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:42 (3963 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

I hope dances are a loot item for quests and you can earn the title "Lord of the Dance"

Also, dance arenas

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:48 (3963 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

I hope dances are a loot item for quests and you can earn the title "Lord of the Dance"

Also, dance arenas

Oh man, you and your fireteam having a dance battle with some randoms.

I wonder how/if the enemies react to the dancing.

by RaichuKFM @, Northeastern Ohio, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 10:55 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

If they stop fighting to dance, I would be so happy. I also couldn't promise I wouldn't interrupt Public Events that way.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:09 (3963 days ago) @ RaichuKFM

I can see it now. A bunch of Guardians start dancing and soon all the Fallen are in a line using their extra arms to do unheard of dance moves while a pair of Spider Tanks teeter from side to side all while Guardians and Fallen circle the number on their Sparrows and Pikes.

Then the virtual music ends and everyone opens fire again. :)

Flash mobs in public events

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:12 (3963 days ago) @ Ragashingo

This is the most disco in a modern game since the Macho Man Randy Savdragon mod.

Also, if your fireteam can sync animations, we'd truly be playing an MMO

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:30 (3963 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

This is the most disco in a modern game since the Macho Man Randy Savdragon mod.

Also, if your fireteam can sync animations, we'd truly be playing an MMO

Disco and modern games you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlT_8GbTQfo

I cannot wait to join people just to dance as they fight for their lives. SOMEONE'S got to keep the team spirit up!

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:53 (3963 days ago) @ NsU Soldier

I cannot wait for the videos of this. Something like Leroy Jenkins only disco

DESTINY: The Musical!

by SonofMacPhisto @, Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 06:36 (3958 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Or the Bollywood film.

I hope they include 'The Shepard.'

by NsU Soldier @, Washington, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 11:24 (3963 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Also, dance arenas

Yes! A thousand times, yes!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:00 (3963 days ago) @ SigbiasSilva

lol... that's fantastic :D

I'm glad to see Bungie's sense of humor already apparent in Destiny. It adds a real charm to their games.

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:24 (3963 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

lol... that's fantastic :D

I'm glad to see Bungie's sense of humor already apparent in Destiny. It adds a real charm to their games.

That's something I feel is missing in Halo 4

Sadly, this^

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 12:30 (3963 days ago) @ Xenos

Sometimes, I just want to go all Joker and yell "Why so serious?!?"

Not much new here

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Thursday, June 13, 2013, 15:24 (3963 days ago) @ electricpirate

...but urk and his handsome ginger mane get some screen time with IGN.

http://m.ign.com/videos/2013/06/13/bungie-talks-destiny-with-ign-e3-vip

Thanks. I've missed urk.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, June 14, 2013, 04:45 (3963 days ago) @ Mr Daax

- No text -

More E3 News

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Sunday, June 16, 2013, 12:59 (3960 days ago) @ electricpirate

Dance party!

In the SPACE MAGIC! vid, during Joe's dance party, notice the Hunter slow clapping in the background. I thought that was pretty awesome and hilarious!

More E3 News

by Claude Errera @, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:07 (3959 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Dance party!

In the SPACE MAGIC! vid, during Joe's dance party, notice the Hunter slow clapping in the background. I thought that was pretty awesome and hilarious!

Nice catch - I missed that! Pretty good stuff. :)

More than 4 gestures!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:37 (3959 days ago) @ Mr Daax

If you look at the control scheme from E3 slow clap is not on there, meaning there are probably multiple "pages" of gestures, which should appease certain forum members (I tease, I also want more than four). If slow clap is an action I would imagine they have some other pretty original ones.

More than 4 gestures!

by Mr Daax ⌂ @, aka: SSG Daax, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:40 (3959 days ago) @ Xenos

If you look at the control scheme from E3 slow clap is not on there, meaning there are probably multiple "pages" of gestures, which should appease certain forum members (I tease, I also want more than four). If slow clap is an action I would imagine they have some other pretty original ones.

I think it is either that, or the slow clap is a sort of automatic response to another Guardian slow dancing. I prefer your idea though. Kinda reminds me a bit of Fable.

Now I hope my Guardian farts, with multiple responses from my ghost.

More than 4 gestures!

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Monday, June 17, 2013, 08:54 (3959 days ago) @ Mr Daax

I think it is either that, or the slow clap is a sort of automatic response to another Guardian slow dancing. I prefer your idea though. Kinda reminds me a bit of Fable.

Yeah I didn't think of it as an automatic response. That could be interesting too, but I would imagine you'd have to be standing completely still for the automatic response to trigger. Otherwise you could easily troll other players.

More than 4 gestures!

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 03:10 (3959 days ago) @ Mr Daax

Now I hope my Guardian farts, with multiple responses from my ghost.

Any combination of more than one of the GameSpeak actions of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee is a win in my books.

Bards confirmed for Destiny

by General Vagueness @, The Vault of Sass, Tuesday, July 02, 2013, 14:22 (3944 days ago) @ electricpirate

I hope I can rank up to a dance commander.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread