Personally, I don't think it's about adapting games (Off-Topic)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 15:17 (2914 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It is hilarious that they open the trailer with what in the original game was the twist surprise (that it's not really real).

I suppose they weren't worried about explaining that Assasin's Creed is about reliving the past from the future right off the bat because it's well known at this point. That said I think it would have been smarter not to reveal that in the trailers for people who know nothing about the game. Then again, how would they get those people to even see it in theaters?

The biggest problem with Video Game Movies is that the wrong games are being chosen to adapt.

Personally, I don't think it's about adapting games and actually I have a similar problem with most book adaptations. These movies need to have a reason to exist other than "adapting" something into a movie. That doesn't really work. To make a successful movie from a book or a game you have to have a good understanding of what made the original good and what parts of it won't work in a movie and that is extremely rare.

Harry Potter became decent movies because the story was simple enough that adapting it was very straightforward. Other movies (like Starship Troopers) typically fail to understand the original well enough to do anything decent with it (the book was more about military service, politics, and futuristic weapons technology - the movie? pretty much just violence?).

I think 343 had the right idea when they created Forward Unto Dawn. Instead of trying to capture the game of Halo, they added to the universe by telling a tangential story. Sure the Master Chief appears in the movie, but it's mostly about other characters. The other characters are what make that movie good, not the fact that the Master Chief is in it. Actually, the parts with the Master Chief are probably my least favorite anyway because he just doesn't move right and because of some sub-par animation.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread