Personally, I don't think it's about adapting games (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Thursday, May 12, 2016, 19:47 (2914 days ago) @ cheapLEY

One is supposed to be more about fun and one is supposed to be more about being good. Starship Troopers was more about being fun and it made a decent movie. It's why I don't have any problems with The Hobbit movies or the superhero movies that ruin characters. Sometimes you just gotta let a movie be a movie.

I mostly agree with everything you said, except the Hobbit thing. Even as a huge Tolkien fan, I didn't really care that they poorly adapted the Hobbit. I did care that they were three long, boring movies. That's the real issue I think most have. It's not about the quality of the adaption, it's just the fact that they're not good movies.

I love the Extended Editions of The Hobbit, a very difficult book to adapt and connect to Lord of the Rings due to the weird pacing and omniscient narrator. My only complaints with the movies are actually that they're too 'short and fun', hah! I wish they were slower and more 'boring'- just shots of trees and mountains for hours in between dialogue. They were actually some of the most of fun I've had watching movies this decade, especially Desolation. Probably seen each about 7-10 times now. I became a huge fan of Thorin, somebody who was a one-dimensional cranky jerk in the book, which I never expected. Despite all the action and adventure added (which I really don't mind), they still stabbed at the heart and core themes of Middle Earth that have been inspiring me since middle school. :)

And the fact that I have three more amazing Howard Shore Middle Earth soundtracks and six more Art-Of books makes me very happy!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread